HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ryan O'Byrne

Old
11-25-2008, 12:12 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Posters here have a very short memory.
It would seem so. I think the main thing is when Komi was learning on the job we had an average team at best and now we are suppose to be a contending team.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:47 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
Yes there is, Dandenault, although a very bad defenceman is still better than O'Byrne because he doesn't take bad penalities, chock with the puck and has much more confidence and experience...

Weber in Hamilton is as bad defensively as O'Byrne but could be of major help on the PP...

Henry has more experience in the NHL than O'Byrne and can bring the same physical play...

Yes, there are replacements
In your opinion these would be better. There is no factual information to back this up. There is a reason Henry couldn't get an NHL contract this past off-season. I doubt he is a better option. Weber could very well be worse defensively than O'Bryne. He hasn't been tested. Is he a better option??? Hard to say.

....and Dandenault. It's funny how short some people's memory is. Everyone and there dog wanted O'Byrne playing over this guy up til about a month ago. Now all of a sudden he would be an upgrade. WOW.

11-25-2008, 02:05 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
In your opinion these would be better. There is no factual information to back this up. There is a reason Henry couldn't get an NHL contract this past off-season. I doubt he is a better option. Weber could very well be worse defensively than O'Bryne. He hasn't been tested. Is he a better option??? Hard to say.

....and Dandenault. It's funny how short some people's memory is. Everyone and there dog wanted O'Byrne playing over this guy up til about a month ago. Now all of a sudden he would be an upgrade. WOW.
All your hypothesis is based on O'Byrne's potential not the way he's playing right now...

There is absolutely no doubt that the 3 guys I mentionned would be better than O'Byrne right now, in terms of potential and on a longer term, yes, I'd take O'Byrne over Henry and Dandy, but for next game... how in hell can you suppose than any of these guys would make more mistakes defensively than O'Byrne is already doing? I mean the guy is just brutal...

It's better for him and the team to be left out of the lineup because he's totaly lost out there.

MTL-rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL-rules View Post
All your hypothesis is based on O'Byrne's potential not the way he's playing right now...

There is absolutely no doubt that the 3 guys I mentionned would be better than O'Byrne right now, in terms of potential and on a longer term, yes, I'd take O'Byrne over Henry and Dandy, but for next game... how in hell can you suppose than any of these guys would make more mistakes defensively than O'Byrne is already doing? I mean the guy is just brutal...

It's better for him and the team to be left out of the lineup because he's totaly lost out there.
I'm not saying they would make more mistakes, but there is no proof they wouldn't. We aren't talking about established decent NHL dmen (while in Weber case, he could be in the future)

Until his major mistake yesterday, I actually thought O'Byrne had a pretty clean game. Nothing great, but nothing too bad.

...and the whole 'how could they be worse' argument is the same argument made a year ago for playing O'Bryne OVER Dandenault.

Darz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:04 PM
YOUTH OF HABS

Send a message via AIM to YOUTH OF HABS
o'byrne stays, fairwheather fans won't.

YOUTH OF HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Habruti!

Quote:
I'm not saying they would make more mistakes, but there is no proof they wouldn't. We aren't talking about established decent NHL dmen (while in Weber case, he could be in the future)

Until his major mistake yesterday, I actually thought O'Byrne had a pretty clean game. Nothing great, but nothing too bad.

...and the whole 'how could they be worse' argument is the same argument made a year ago for playing O'Bryne OVER Dandenault.
I like Obyrne, I think his place does not really fit beside Hamerlik though. I think he would be better suited to play with Bouillon. Webber/Carle would IMO be better suited to play with a stay at home Dmen like Hamerlik.

See what is killing us this year is that we try too many long plays and we never see the Dmen skate with the puck like Streit and Bouillon use to do last year. If one of those guys could do that it would change our situation a whole lot, plus they could contribut on the point in the PP. Its certainly not the perfect situation but I think until Komisarek comes back its a good option.

Habruti! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:47 PM
peperebougon*

He was pretty good last year. He'll turn it around. He is better than that.

I don't remember anybody complaining last year! Patience!

peperebougon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 06:00 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by peperebougon View Post
He was pretty good last year. He'll turn it around. He is better than that.

I don't remember anybody complaining last year! Patience!

If only people can say that for Kovalev too.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 06:07 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
If only people can say that for Kovalev too.
Kovy is on pace for over 60 points, lets ease up on him.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 01:20 AM
kevanos

I just watched the game highlights of the Washington game from Saturday, I wasn't paying close attention that night, and O'byne got bailed out Halak twice on HUGE blunders that would have been highlight reel mistakes is they resulted in goals.

The first he was when he was the last man back with the puck and very little pressure and falls and gives up the puck to semin I believe for a partial break.

Then on 2 on 2 he got completely beat by speed on the right after a break in pass and fell over trying to turn around?

He has stop making these huge mistakes all the time.

there are in here somewhere: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/spor...79&cl=11090522
maybe someone could note what time the happen at.

kevanos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 05:38 AM
nnynetpotato

The judgement which has to be made is,will sending him to the AHL help him rebuild his game and confidence,or crush him so he never pans out?

It's a potentially pivotal moment in his entire future with the Habs.

Either way,if Komi doesn't go til Thursday,Ryan's in the lineup tonight.

nnynetpotato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Mats NAslund

vCash: 50
O'Byrne like komiserek is a big d-man who in their first FULL year struggled.
Sending O'Byrne back to Hamilon will not help him adjust to the speed in the NHL.
He's making mistakes and learning from them as did Komiserek, hopefully O'Byrne will be ready come playoff time. It's the main reason Montreal plays him as they will need him come playoff time. Komiserek will not be able to handle the Lucic's of the league on his own. Because of injury O'Byrne has had to play more then he should but will be a real asset when they have to play Boston or Philly come playoff time.

Give him the time he needs to mature and lay off him. We as fans and media are much to quick to **** on players and even faster to call them an All Star!

O'Byrne will just fine! I expect O'Byrne to come up big in the second half!

My Defensive pairings

Gorges Markov - no need to break up a good thing

Komiserek Hamerlik - Shut down pairing that will punish you physically

O'Byrne Boullion Brisebois - Allows O'Byrne to graduate slowly and gives Brisebois a rest. Alternate all 3 guys on agame to game basis.

Go Habs Go

Mats NAslund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

What's killing us this year is not that O'byrne is making his daily mistake, it's that guys like Tanguay, S.Kost, Lats, Kovy, Plekanec have not seen scoring for a month.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:42 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevanos View Post
I just watched the game highlights of the Washington game from Saturday, I wasn't paying close attention that night, and O'byne got bailed out Halak twice on HUGE blunders that would have been highlight reel mistakes is they resulted in goals.

The first he was when he was the last man back with the puck and very little pressure and falls and gives up the puck to semin I believe for a partial break.

Then on 2 on 2 he got completely beat by speed on the right after a break in pass and fell over trying to turn around?

He has stop making these huge mistakes all the time.

there are in here somewhere: http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/spor...79&cl=11090522
maybe someone could note what time the happen at.
You know, I had nothing against O'Byrne this summer. I thought this guy was doing ok. Nothing special except his size. But you can't FALL on your own in the defensive zone and give the opposing team free shots like that. I can't tell if he's just trying a desperate maneuver because he's in panic mode all the time because of that open net goal, or he's just lost all confidence.

I didn't think he would make training camp a few years back because he looked lost on the ice, yet he wasn't cut. He hasn't shown he can be dependable all season and he's only getting worse. Now I'm not saying to trade him or that he will always suck, but there's a problem somewhere. There's a reason Dandy had replaced him.

Now after seeing those two plays you talked about, the first thing that came to my head was, "Carbo's not going to like to see that." I don't like to see that. What does O'Byrne bring to the team right now? Nothing. He hit's and he's got a big body, but Begin hits harder. He's not playing well defensively and he can't play offensively.

What are the Canadians lacking? Goals. Man, try Weber or Carle. O'Byrne's confidence is not turning around. He's getting worse. They have to sit and come up with a plan. But I do not want to see O'Byrne Play again until his confidence is back and not flip flopping all over the ice..

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 08:58 AM
smon

It's like O'Byrne is cursed to make the wrong plays at the wrong time. Washington's game he had a decent fight and looked to be having a solid game, and then he falls over himself, not once, but twice! You gotta admit that those blunders against Washington were just plain embarassing. Falling over yourself twice?! Yes, he needs to develop...but this is the NHL we're talking about. Are his mistakes amplified when the team is losing? Yes, of course. But if Carbonneau can't trust him to play more than 8 and a half minutes (which is what he played against the Caps), what's the point?

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:09 AM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by smon View Post
It's like O'Byrne is cursed to make the wrong plays at the wrong time. Washington's game he had a decent fight and looked to be having a solid game, and then he falls over himself, not once, but twice! You gotta admit that those blunders against Washington were just plain embarassing. Falling over yourself twice?! Yes, he needs to develop...but this is the NHL we're talking about. Are his mistakes amplified when the team is losing? Yes, of course. But if Carbonneau can't trust him to play more than 8 and a half minutes (which is what he played against the Caps), what's the point?
Kovy should lend him his instruction DVD and skip to the skating through pylons chapter.

David_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 09:18 AM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
O'Byrne like komiserek is a big d-man who in their first FULL year struggled.
Sending O'Byrne back to Hamilon will not help him adjust to the speed in the NHL.
He's making mistakes and learning from them as did Komiserek, hopefully O'Byrne will be ready come playoff time. It's the main reason Montreal plays him as they will need him come playoff time. Komiserek will not be able to handle the Lucic's of the league on his own. Because of injury O'Byrne has had to play more then he should but will be a real asset when they have to play Boston or Philly come playoff time.

Give him the time he needs to mature and lay off him. We as fans and media are much to quick to **** on players and even faster to call them an All Star!

O'Byrne will just fine! I expect O'Byrne to come up big in the second half!

My Defensive pairings

Gorges Markov - no need to break up a good thing

Komiserek Hamerlik - Shut down pairing that will punish you physically

O'Byrne Boullion Brisebois - Allows O'Byrne to graduate slowly and gives Brisebois a rest. Alternate all 3 guys on agame to game basis.

Go Habs Go
Please learn how to write their names properly.

Hamrlik

Komisarek

Bouillon

O'Byrne is totally psyched out by his huge mistake that he made a couple of weeks ago.

He needs a psychologist or proper coaching from a REAL d-man coach.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:32 AM
raz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadienErrant View Post
O'Byrne is totally psyched out by his huge mistake that he made a couple of weeks ago.

He needs a psychologist or proper coaching from a REAL d-man coach.

I disagree.

He didn't know how to make tape-to-tape passes before his brain cramp, and still doesn't. Neither a psychologist nor a proper d-man coach will teach him this, so late in his career.

When's the last time O'Byrne made a tape-to-tape pass to a forward that led to a scoring chance, let alone a goal?

That is why Dandy is superior: he doesn't break the offensive play.

I invite you to notice how O'Byrne ALWAYS dumps the puck.
Surely, if I've noticed it, other teams have as well.

This guy has zero creativity, puck handling and passing skills.

-r

raz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:38 AM
BBrowser

Saturday I told my girlfriend to stop *****ing O'Byrne (she saw the game where the guy scored in his own net). After he fell flat on the ice twice on a 1vs1 because of a head fake I decided my girlfriend knew a lot more about hockey than I thought... I'm in love!

BBrowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
HCH

I've always thought O'Byrne needed to be given a chance to show what he could do. Now he has been given that chance and he has shown that he needs to work on his game more. If he is staying with the Habs he should be spotted into the line-up now and then.

At this point he is a #7 defenseman at best. The trouble is that Brisebois and Bouillon are also #7 defensemen.

Brisebois still makes a lot of high risk passes that get intercepted and is really hesitant to go hard after the puck in his own end (the opposite of Gorges). Anyone who is really paying attention will notice that the goaltenders have bailed out Brisebois numerous times this year. There are few other things that Brisebois does relatively poorly but having said that, he would also be acceptable as a #7 defenseman.

Bouillon is a small guy trying to play like a big guy. He is all heart but his lack of height and reach are big drawbacks. He just doesn't have the leverage to dominate forwards in front of the net nor does he have the reach to be effective with his stick on the PK.

Despite all this complaining about our defense, we should note that our goals against is still very respectable. However, we do play too much of the game in our own end and part of that is due to the fact that our breakout game has been lousy. And the breakout game starts with the defense.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:39 PM
limelight

At what point should O'Byrne be sent down to Hamilton. Especially with the way things are going right now, he's costing us way too many points right now. I think we need to get him out of the lineup ASAP. We should call up Weber.

limelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by limelight View Post
At what point should O'Byrne be sent down to Hamilton. Especially with the way things are going right now, he's costing us way too many points right now. I think we need to get him out of the lineup ASAP. We should call up Weber.
When he starts taking stupid penalties such as delay of game, or costing us goal when he acts like a cone or being completely invisible in a game, or when cannot make a ****ing first pass or.... when he will score in his own net!

Oh wait..

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:12 PM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOUTH OF HABS View Post
o'byrne stays, fairwheather fans won't.
I would love to see how this board would react if this guy was french...........

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:13 PM
totalrecall

o'byrne is french?

HE IS MY FAVORITE PLAYER

PAY HIM 10M/YEAR

totalrecall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Slick Nick