HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Martin Havlat a dirty player?

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
ATG

vCash: 500
Is Martin Havlat a dirty player?

Take in the reechi and cairns incidents

Old
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
No, he's a finesse player with an edge, not many of those around these days.

Old
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Verbal Kint*

I wouldn't say dirty, as he's generally a clean guy, he just severely overreacts. Asides from that, the guy makes very few mistakes (penalty-wise). He never really cheap-shots people in scrums, doesn't spear, check people from behind. He just needs anger management classes.

Old
03-01-2004, 07:45 PM
Looger

when a player is borderline 'intense' and careless, and happens to be european (ie. rarely drop the gloves) he is referred to as dirty. see forsberg.

in reality these guys aren't as bad as the 'dirty' guys that'd be more than willing to go if someone took exception, like dale hunter or dino ciccarelli.

havlat's not that bad. just happens to play in the era of the highlight reel.

Old
03-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Thalia

Yes. Dirty but damn good!

Old
03-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
There's a difference between playing with an edge and being dirty. Havlat doesn't look to hurt people...he just gets pissed off when he's constantly being grabbed, slashed or hooked. That isn't dirty. I'd likely be pretty pissed off myself if I was that good and some grinder could do that to me without getting a penalty.

Old
03-01-2004, 08:22 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting004
There's a difference between playing with an edge and being dirty. Havlat doesn't look to hurt people...he just gets pissed off when he's constantly being grabbed, slashed or hooked. That isn't dirty. I'd likely be pretty pissed off myself if I was that good and some grinder could do that to me without getting a penalty.
so he gets pissed and checks people in the head

Old
03-01-2004, 08:24 PM
SumOfUs

Yes, he is a dirty player and I'm glad. That's exactly what the Sens need.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:07 PM
paxtang

Quote:
There is a difference between being dirty and playing with an edge. Playing with an edge means throwing checks, getting in peoples faces, and being hard to play against in front of the net, and dropping the gloves. Being dirty means being a whiney little *****, using your stick, hiding behind the instigator, and things like that.

And if I hear one more "I'd be pissed too if some grinder was hooking me" thing, I swear to god. A) so being hooked now means you should freak out? B) that grinder has more points than Havlat right now.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:08 PM
SopelFan*

Send a message via MSN to SopelFan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumOfUs
Yes, he is a dirty player and I'm glad. That's exactly what the Sens need.
I don't think anyone fears him... :p

Old
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Most Definately Yes!

Add his stick swinging incident against Florida earlier this year to your list.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:38 PM
HuskyFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander the Great
Take in the reechi and cairns incidents
This is a funny thread. A topic about dirty players when TO has some of the dirtiest guys around, Tucker, Domie, MARCHANT (Mr. I can't skate fast enough so I knee everyone).

Old
03-01-2004, 09:38 PM
JDB3939

Send a message via AIM to JDB3939
I wouldn't call him dirty. "Chippy" seems more like it. But all of Ottawa's Europeans are that way, except Chara. I saw him play recently, I expected him to be throwing people around and being a physical force. He was solid defensively, just not very physical.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:46 PM
Thalia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SopelFan
I don't think anyone fears him... :p
Except goalies.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:03 PM
The Big P

He overreacts much like Tkachuk does, but since he's still young his behaviour will probably be tamed.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Orv

I think he's dirty. I don't blame him, it's that damn instegator rule. If these kinds of players (other dirty players who never drop the mitts) had to answer to someone when they did something dirty they would stop doing it. Whoa, I just sounded like Don Cherry, I don't think that's a good thing.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:17 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
This is a funny thread. A topic about dirty players when TO has some of the dirtiest guys around, Tucker, Domie, MARCHANT (Mr. I can't skate fast enough so I knee everyone).
Not trying to be a jerk, but I've got to correct you here, for Todd's sake. I think you're referring to Bryan Marchment, and not Todd Marchant.

I'm not claiming that Marchment is a "dirty player", but Todd Marchant definitely isn't.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:17 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv
I think he's dirty. I don't blame him, it's that damn instegator rule. If these kinds of players (other dirty players who never drop the mitts) had to answer to someone when they did something dirty they would stop doing it. Whoa, I just sounded like Don Cherry, I don't think that's a good thing.
Yeah, too bad there is an instigator. It would be great if he could draw some 5 minute power plays for us.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Orv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Yeah, too bad there is an instigator. It would be great if he could draw some 5 minute power plays for us.
Why because he won't face the music after he sticks someone in the face? Talk about gutless.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:27 PM
Sting

Send a message via MSN to Sting
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orv
Why because he won't face the music after he sticks someone in the face? Talk about gutless.
Was that intentional? No. His stick never made contact with his face and he stated after he never meant to do that. If Recchi was hurt maybe he'd be 'gutless' but he suffered zero damage. Havlat isn't a fighter...some people don't realize that. Fighters are usually unskilled players who get their money by fighting. There are obvious exceptions, you don't need to point them out. But asking Havlat to drop the gloves as a 22 year old who isn't even built to fight is insane.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:36 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Was that intentional? No. His stick never made contact with his face and he stated after he never meant to do that. If Recchi was hurt maybe he'd be 'gutless' but he suffered zero damage. Havlat isn't a fighter...some people don't realize that. Fighters are usually unskilled players who get their money by fighting. There are obvious exceptions, you don't need to point them out. But asking Havlat to drop the gloves as a 22 year old who isn't even built to fight is insane.
That cross check was one hundred percent intentional, even Havlat said he wanted to hit him "just not in the face" which is horse ****. So the result decides whether or not he is gutless. Havlat is gutless because he is only "chippy" with his stick. No, Havlat isn't a fighter, but neither is Recchi. Recchi will at least at times drop the gloves, while Havlat will never. And just because he's 22 shouldn't be an out for him, it should actually make him more pathetic.

Anyone who says they would enjoy seeing havlat routinely drawing 5 minute powerplays instead of playing with an edge, scoring great goals, and occasionally dropping the gloves, is just IMO part of whats wrong with hockey today.

Old
03-01-2004, 10:38 PM
V for Voodoo

Send a message via AIM to V for Voodoo Send a message via MSN to V for Voodoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
Anyone who says they would enjoy seeing havlat routinely drawing 5 minute powerplays instead of playing with an edge, scoring great goals, and occasionally dropping the gloves, is just IMO part of whats wrong with hockey today.
Why does Havlat need to fight? That's not his game, and there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly doesn't make him a worse players, nor would it make him better if he did drop the gloves. He still plays with an edge and scores great goals. Doesn't drop the gloves? Who cares

Last edited by V for Voodoo: 03-01-2004 at 10:42 PM.
Old
03-01-2004, 10:39 PM
ATG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick - Flames
Um it's a general hockey question considering he just got suspended for the second time this season

Old
03-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Orv

Quote:
The only reason he didn't make contact with his face is because Rechi wears a visor. Did you see Rechi fixing his visor after? It was bent down and he had to shove it back up, so something had to have made contact with it and I'm pretty sure it was Havlat's stick. But lets ignore that. He kicked a guy. With a skate on. Enough said.

I'm not saying he should go out and goon-it-up because he is a very talented player but I'm saying that he has to be responsible for his action.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:01 PM
paxtang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Why does Havlat need to fight? That's not his game, and there's nothing wrong with that. It certainly doesn't make him a worse players, nor would it make him better if he did drop the gloves. He still plays with an edge and scores great goals. Doesn't drop the gloves? Who cares
Lots of people care. You might not because you like him, but he would have a lot more respect in the league if just once in a while he'd throw down. I think every star should do it at times just to prove they will. Hell, he might get hooked a little less if he did.

Again, I'm waiting to see this "edge" that he has, besides with his stick.

Closed Thread