HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Wolves outdraw Hawks

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 08:14 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
Wolves outdraw Hawks

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

Quote:
Blackhawks reach new low
Mar. 1 @ 9:09 AM
How bad is it for the Blackhawks? The NHL Hawks were outdrawn Sunday afternoon by the American Hockey League Wolves in Chicago.
The minor league Wolves, 30-20-8-3, played the San Antonio Rampage to a 3-3 tie before a season-high 12,938 fans at Allstate Arena.
Elsewhere in Chicago, the Blackhawks drew 12,177 fans to the United Center for their game against Florida. The NHL franchise, 18-33-8-5, is averaging about 13,500 fans, fifth worst in the NHL according to USA Today.
Poor Hawks.

13,000 fans is amazing for an AHL game though, shows that fans in Chicago still love hockey, just not the way their NHL team is being run.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:10 PM
btn
Gone Hollywood

Just wait until the Wolves get Coburn and Jim Slater next year. They will probably lose Lehtonen to the Thrashers, but Michael Garnett is a damn fine young goaltender himself.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Mizral

Agreed, the Wolves are a great AHL franchise.

But anyone who thinks that the Hawks couldn't potentially have a top end franchise in this league, just remember the early 90's. They were up there with the Flyers, maybe above them in terms of pure franchise power (market, money making, on-ice play, etc..).

I believe that with a good GM they could do it again. Wirtz is not as huge as a hinderance as some think. Yes, you could do better, but the problem has been mismanagement 95%, Ownership 5%.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:20 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
AHL is most likely a cheaper ticket...where do they play though? I know its not the United Center, obviously

Old
03-02-2004, 11:25 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

But anyone who thinks that the Hawks couldn't potentially have a top end franchise in this league, just remember the early 90's. They were up there with the Flyers, maybe above them in terms of pure franchise power (market, money making, on-ice play, etc..).

I believe that with a good GM they could do it again. Wirtz is not as huge as a hinderance as some think. Yes, you could do better, but the problem has been mismanagement 95%, Ownership 5%.
yea they definitely should be able to get back to the upper echelon of franchises. This is not a small market team...Chicago is the 3rd or 4th largest city in the country.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
AHL is most likely a cheaper ticket...where do they play though? I know its not the United Center, obviously
All-State Arena, I believe.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:47 PM
fullmetalninja

Allstate Arena, in Rosemont...

It is a nice location for the northern burbs. I live in the city, and the UC is a pain to get to for most people.

So if your just a guy wanting to take his kids someplace for a couple hours, the wolves offer more fan friendly things(they are great at marketing), cheaper tickets, more bang for the buck- and its easier coming and going(as long as you live on the NW side).

Also, the Northern burbs are generally considered the "money" areas around Chicago... ITs not necessarily true, but on average it holds. So its the perfect place for a minor league franchise. The Chicago Rush do very well for the same reason's...

-fullmetalninja

Old
03-02-2004, 01:17 PM
thedjpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmetalninja
Allstate Arena, in Rosemont...

It is a nice location for the northern burbs. I live in the city, and the UC is a pain to get to for most people.

So if your just a guy wanting to take his kids someplace for a couple hours, the wolves offer more fan friendly things(they are great at marketing), cheaper tickets, more bang for the buck- and its easier coming and going(as long as you live on the NW side).

Also, the Northern burbs are generally considered the "money" areas around Chicago... ITs not necessarily true, but on average it holds. So its the perfect place for a minor league franchise. The Chicago Rush do very well for the same reason's...

-fullmetalninja
I agree.

Also, to show you how bad it has gotten, I went to a game last week (bought the el cheapo $15 dollar tickets.) When I got there, there was a student discount for $7 dollars off, so I got my tickets for $8 bucks. On top of that, after about midway through the first period, I moved down about 40 rows because it was empty. I ended up getting like $40 dollar seats for $8 dollars. First game I had been to in years, as my friend wanted to go to a game for fear of a no season next year, so I accomodated. Regardless, I won't go again until the management improves.

In fact, when we were there, my friend and I started planning ahead to go to a Wolves game WHILE we are at the Hawks game. Isn't that sad? I dunno, I am just infuriated with this team right now.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral

The thing that you don't realize is that EVERYTHING starts at the top.

I'm not a Mike Smith fan, but he has drafted more solid NHL prospects than the the Hawks did in the 15 years before he arrived. Who was in charge of the organization for all of those drafts? Bob Pulford. Who did Pulford have as his lead scout - Dumas. When Smith (and almost the entire scouting staff) got canned, who did they bring back? That's right - Dumas!

Pulford came out and said they traded Sullivan because they were afraid of what he would get in arbitration. The rumor is that McCabe got traded because he won his arbitration case.

Do you think that the Hawks GM traded Roenick, Chelios & Belfour because he didn't think they were good players? Or do you think the GM made those trades because the organization (AKA Wirtz) wouldn't pay market value? I'd bet my house on the latter.

I do agree a good GM could help tremendously. Unfortunately, a proven GM (or decent UFA) won't come within a million miles of this franchise, unless they have no other choice. And if they have no other choice, they're not likely to be the GM or player you need.

Closed Thread