HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN Power Rankings: Zherdev only Ranger on pace for 60 pts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-27-2008, 03:20 AM
  #51
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
zherdev's skill is just amazing.....and the more i see of these types of games where he is totally engaged and into it the more you love the guy......fighting?.....wow....who would have thought?.....the guy is amazing and needs to be resigned no matter what......
Man I love Zherdev (no homo) he is exactly what I had expected when we got him and then some. Not disappointed at all with Nazzy either, he's been quietly productive all season.

The rest of the guys pick it up to even 75% of there potential which right now it seems to be at like 10% and we might start winning without shoot outs.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:50 AM
  #52
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,463
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'd like to see what percentage of the Rangers goals Nik is involved in, because it sure seems like he's got a hand in most of them. Still, you'd like to see him score a few more goals, and right now Drury and Gomez combined are on pace for just under 100 points. 14 mill...100 points. You gotta hope that number gets bigger.
According to just the scoresheet, 22 out of 68 goals. That's about 32% Or nearly 1/3 of all the Ranger goals.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:31 AM
  #53
bumrusherer
Registered User
 
bumrusherer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2,820
vCash: 500
I think Naslund is more or less on pace for 60+ points now. Maybe we wont suck after all!!!!

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:44 AM
  #54
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,525
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers32185 View Post
There's no hiding it, no one on this team can score
It's more of a team effort for wins........I am cool with that as long as they are WINS.........we all know Henrik is the man, the team D is solid..........the back end is deeper this yr which us HUGE, we can bash Rozi and guys all we want but in reality they are 6 deep and Potter is a good callup..............the forwards are deep too with hard working players.......one more forward for the deadline

just keep this team in tact and make a move for a scoring winger for Gomez . Rental at the deadline if they have too. They will fit it under the cap. Worst case scenario is Rissmiller and his 1 million go down to Hartford and Prucha gets moved for cheap.........that would be 2.6 cleared plus the 1 million so they can get a 3.5 million type player to sneak under the cap at the deadline.........very doable as much as we worry about it

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:20 AM
  #55
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
It's more of a team effort for wins........I am cool with that as long as they are WINS
Unmentioned so far is that 5 of this team's 16 wins, a whopping 31%, have been earned via the skills competition we call the "shootout." In none of those were the Rangers able to put up more than two regulation tallies. Erase those wins and the single shootout loss to Edmonton; call them ties; and this team's record becomes 11-8-6.

At a mere three games over .500 and with a low-scoring offense, I've a feeling many here would be much less sanguine than they are right now. The fact of the matter is that the team's offensive woes are masked in part by the overtime format of the regular season, but that format will disappear when the playoffs arrive.

It's a given this team will make the playoffs. Once the team gets there, however, it will have to actually play hockey to score its goals and earn its wins. And it will have to do so with the opposition ratcheting up its own defense and checking game, as always happens in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to gloss over this team's offensive shortcomings, especially when two of those five shootout wins came against top rivals we are quite likely to see in the playoffs: Pittsburgh and Boston.

Put differently: Given what we've seen so far, if it comes to overtime, I better like the Bruins' and Pens' chances of potting a sudden-death goal over the Blueshirts' even though Lundquist outclasses the goalies of those two teams. (I'd say the same of the Flyers and maybe the Habs, too.)


Last edited by dedalus: 11-27-2008 at 08:34 AM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:50 AM
  #56
abev
HFBoards Sponsor
 
abev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Erase those wins and the single shootout loss to Edmonton; call them ties; and this team's record becomes 11-8-6.

...

And it will have to do so with the opposition ratcheting up its own defense and checking game, as always happens in the playoffs.

It would be foolish to gloss over this team's offensive shortcomings, especially when two of those five shootout wins came against top rivals we are quite likely to see in the playoffs: Pittsburgh and Boston.
So the method to prove your point is to take away legitimate Ranger wins and replace them with losses. And then go on to say that the Rangers will play the same or worse in the playoffs, while every other team plays better?

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:26 AM
  #57
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
I think he's making a different point, one which I strongly agree with. In a seven game series against teams like Pitts, MTL, or BOS, I don't think the scoring 2 goals a game is going to be enough to win. Obviously, we're a long time from the playoffs, but right now, I think there are at least 3 teams in the East, if not more, that are better than the Rangers. I would be very nervous playing any of them in the playoffs. Right now, I anticipate another second round exit. Hopefully the team proves me wrong.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:58 PM
  #58
dedalus
Registered User
 
dedalus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
So the method to prove your point is to take away legitimate Ranger wins and replace them with losses.
Unusually sloppy reading for you, abev. I will re-post: "Erase those wins and the single shootout loss to Edmonton; call them ties; and this team's record becomes 11-8-6."

Note:

1. I replaced both shootout wins AND losses, the latter a fact you elected to ignore in your indignation.

2. Those results - both wins and defeats - were replaced with ties not losses, the team's record becoming 11 wins, 8 losses, 6 ties. Thus, as I also wrote, the team ends up 3 games over .500. Had I replaced those "legitimate" wins with losses, the team's record would be 3 games BELOW .500.

This is how the actual hockey games ended. This is what the Rangers were able to accomplish before the decision was turned over to a series of breakaway events.

The Rangers were credited with wins in five of these games because they won an all-star competition. If you want to call that "legitimate," that's okay by me. However, your name for them does not change the fact that 31% of this team's wins were secured in a way that the Blueshirts will not have available to them in the playoffs. In the playoffs they will have to score all their winning goals by playing hockey, not by winning one-on-one competitions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
And then go on to say that the Rangers will play the same or worse in the playoffs, while every other team plays better?
Yes, the Ranger offense will play the same in the playoffs, and other teams will elevate their defensive play. All teams check more tightly and play tighter defense playoff time, and as a result scoring drops in the playoffs; that's just how it is. You will find rare indeed the team that INCREASES its average goals scored in the playoffs.

Given that fact, a team that finds scoring difficult will most likely be hurt more.


Last edited by dedalus: 11-27-2008 at 09:10 PM.
dedalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:06 PM
  #59
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I'd like to see what percentage of the Rangers goals Nik is involved in, because it sure seems like he's got a hand in most of them. Still, you'd like to see him score a few more goals, and right now Drury and Gomez combined are on pace for just under 100 points. 14 mill...100 points. You gotta hope that number gets bigger.
Not going to argue that, but also gotta keep in mind that Gomez had been injured for a good portion of the season.

Now that he's healthy, and when he regains 100% form, i'm sure he will get back up to his normal production level.

He missed 5 games, so figure he normally reaches around 70 points, if he reaches in the mid 60's that would be about normal pace for him, assuming he doesn't miss anymore time.

Drury on the other hand, i wouldn't really expect him to pass the high 50's point mark anyway.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:45 AM
  #60
All Hail King Henrik
 
All Hail King Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumrusherer View Post
I think Naslund is more or less on pace for 60+ points now. Maybe we wont suck after all!!!!
Naslund's projected season:

30G-33A-63P

For the hell of it, here's the projections for our top five forwards:

Zherdev: 23G - 49A - 72P

Naslund: 30G - 33A - 63P

Gomez: 15G - 39A - 54P [77GP]

Dubinsky: 16G - 36A - 52P

Drury: 26G - 20A - 40P

Highest paid defensman:

Redden: 7G - 26A - 33P EVEN

Rozsival: 7G - 33A - 40P -23

--------

Girardi: 10G - 39A - 49P +3


Interesting.

All Hail King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:40 AM
  #61
z1co80
The Incredible Hank
 
z1co80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scotland
Country: Scotland
Posts: 4,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Hail King Henrik View Post
Naslund's projected season:

30G-33A-63P

For the hell of it, here's the projections for our top five forwards:

Zherdev: 23G - 49A - 72P

Excellent start to his career as a Ranger, delighted with him

Naslund: 30G - 33A - 63P

Pretty much what we all expected from him hopefully Renney will leave the Nas-Dub-Zherd line alone

Gomez: 15G - 39A - 54P [77GP]

I like Gomez and the on pace for means nothing but he better pick it up

Dubinsky: 16G - 36A - 52P

All we could have asked for is improvement and hope he doesnt go into a sophomore slump, he has been great barring 5 games at the most

Drury: 26G - 20A - 40P

Captain Clutch, as captain of this team and 2nd highest earner this is a joke, if he doesnt put up more than 50pts for the money he makes then it has to be seriously looked at

Highest paid defensman:

Redden: 7G - 26A - 33P EVEN

He's been ok, some errors but nothing to drastic i dont think, still needs to pick it up though

Rozsival: 7G - 33A - 40P -23

Play has been poor so far but can be explained by surgery in the off-season, hopefully the Tampa game will be the start of much improvement

--------

Girardi: 10G - 39A - 49P +3

What can you say, just fantastic and keeps surprising us by getting better and better, contributing offensively also

Interesting.


Its no wonder we struggle to score goals when our highest paid players are our most ineffective, I am sure their play will pick up but i still shudder when i compare the wages they are paid compared to their production.

Especially when you stack the stats against others of similar pay.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:42 AM
  #62
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Its no wonder we struggle to score goals when our highest paid players are our most ineffective, I am sure their play will pick up but i still shudder when i compare the wages they are paid compared to their production.

Especially when you stack the stats against others of similar pay.
Right. And, of course, it's an exaggeration. No one is suggesting that Gomez or Drury are playing worse than some of the other forwards on the team (although, as disgusting as it is, Redden and Roszival have been among our three worst defensemen, if not the two worst of all), but the fact that they take up so much of the salary cap is going to really hurt this team.

Order our roster by pay and, Lundqvist aside, from the top down it sounds like it could be the list of most overpaid players in the league. Stick Dustin Penner, Cristobal Huet, Bryan McCabe, Ed Jovanovski, Ryan Smyth, Jeff Finger in there and you've got maybe the ten most overpaid players in the league. I'm sure I missed a few, and I'm sure many will argue whether or not the Rangers in question belong on that list. Now I might not be a big fan of Gomez, Redden, or Rozsival, but I am a big Drury fan. I really wanted him on the Rangers, even with his current contract, had the team not also signed Gomez and later Redden to equal contracts. But even my significant mancrush ( no homo ) on Drury won't prevent me from admitting the obvious: his contract is ridiculous. Amazingly enough, Redden's is even worse, while Gomez's is only slightly better.

The point is in a salary cap league you only have the luxury of significantly overpaying for about one guy on the team, maybe even two guys. Three is really pushing it, but four is just absolutely ridiculous. Gomez is worth about 5 million, maybe 5.5 million IMO. Drury is worth about 4-4.5 million. But 7 for each? I would be all right with Rozsival if he was making $3.5 mill, maybe even 4. But 5 is too much. Redden has been the definition of mediocrity this season. There are guys earning $2 mil that do what he does. Instead, he earns 6.5, and we have him for at least four, if not five more years.

You can not afford to overpay that many players, to invest so much of your "budget" into such risky properties. Not only will we not have the opportunity to address the significant offensive weaknesses on this team in the near future, barring a very significant trade, but we may not even be able to afford to keep all the young players that we have, many of whom are SIGNIFICANTLY outplaying the highest-paid players.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:32 AM
  #63
nyr7andcounting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,919
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedalus View Post
Unmentioned so far is that 5 of this team's 16 wins, a whopping 31%, have been earned via the skills competition we call the "shootout." In none of those were the Rangers able to put up more than two regulation tallies. Erase those wins and the single shootout loss to Edmonton; call them ties; and this team's record becomes 11-8-6.

At a mere three games over .500 and with a low-scoring offense, I've a feeling many here would be much less sanguine than they are right now. The fact of the matter is that the team's offensive woes are masked in part by the overtime format of the regular season, but that format will disappear when the playoffs arrive.

It's a given this team will make the playoffs. Once the team gets there, however, it will have to actually play hockey to score its goals and earn its wins. And it will have to do so with the opposition ratcheting up its own defense and checking game, as always happens in the playoffs.
Exactly how I feel. Throughout this thread every single person has agreed our offense sucks. But about half of us don't mind because if we have such a good record, then what's the problem? Well, it's a problem no matter how many points we have right now.

You have to take to shootout games out of the equation when talking about how good a team really is. Our non-shootout record isn't great, as you pointed out.

On top of that, it seems like we've had a pretty weak schedule to start the season. How many of our 11 "real" wins have come against crappy teams? Probably too many for us to assume we can continue to win games at the same rate for the next 5 months without our offense improving considerably.

Our offense and PP need to improve if we want to be near the top of the standings in April and actually compete in the playoffs, and I think it's going to take a trade or 2 to make it happen.

nyr7andcounting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:10 PM
  #64
All Hail King Henrik
 
All Hail King Henrik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Its no wonder we struggle to score goals when our highest paid players are our most ineffective, I am sure their play will pick up but i still shudder when i compare the wages they are paid compared to their production.

I often joke while watching games that by using the logic of pay-per-production(i.e. players payed according to their production and contributions towards team success), Lundqvist should be making $28 million this season, or half the cap.

Redden and Rozi should forfeit some of their salary to Henke, to up his contract to the cap max $10.4 mil or something like that. LOL

It's funny because it's true.


Last edited by All Hail King Henrik: 11-28-2008 at 04:22 PM.
All Hail King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:55 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.