HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Great Duel: Theo vs. Brodeur

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 09:19 PM
benji
Took too much, man.

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to benji
Great Duel: Theo vs. Brodeur

Wow, what a game tonight in Montreal! Great scoring chances, physical game, but what really stood out was the play of both goalies. Theodore was very solid for Montreal making many great saves, nothing too spectacular, but was awesome when he needed to be (including on Rivet, his own teammate, a couple of times). But Brodeur really stole the show. He made at least 4 or 5 highlight reel saves, and really kept New Jersey in the game. He was named the number 1 star, and was actually cheered by the Montreal fans.

Bottom line: Good game and great duel between 2 of the best goalies in the game today.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:25 PM
chicpea*

yeh, the Habs' radio commentators (cjad) nearly gave me a heart attack. They said "He scores..no. Brodeur's got it again."

Old
03-01-2004, 09:33 PM
Patty Roy

Both goalies were great tonight, but like you say Brodeur in particular was fantastic. He really kept his team in the game early....the Habs were just pouring it on during the 1st half.

A much more exciting game than i was expecting tonight!

Old
03-01-2004, 11:06 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benji_ch
Wow, what a game tonight in Montreal! Great scoring chances, physical game, but what really stood out was the play of both goalies. Theodore was very solid for Montreal making many great saves, nothing too spectacular, but was awesome when he needed to be (including on Rivet, his own teammate, a couple of times). But Brodeur really stole the show. He made at least 4 or 5 highlight reel saves, and really kept New Jersey in the game. He was named the number 1 star, and was actually cheered by the Montreal fans.

Bottom line: Good game and great duel between 2 of the best goalies in the game today.
Wow you rarely ever see a losing goalie get the first star. Classy move by the Montreal writers.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Brodeur showed why he's the best goalie in the game today.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:25 PM
Natural Habs Fan

Brodeur showed why he's the best goalie in the game today.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
haakon84

So nice he had to say it twice.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:34 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by haakon84
So nice he had to say it twice.
The guys on CJAD said that Brodeur didn't come out for the announcement, which is rare. He must've been pretty angry with the loss. Too bad, he totally deserved first star and would've received a huge ovation.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicpea
The guys on CJAD said that Brodeur didn't come out for the announcement, which is rare. He must've been pretty angry with the loss. Too bad, he totally deserved first star and would've received a huge ovation.
I don't know if there is any other visiting goalie that gets up for playing in Montreal more than him.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:40 PM
chicpea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
I don't know if there is any other visiting goalie that gets up for playing in Montreal more than him.
For sure, he's got a lot of fans there and all over Canada.

Old
03-01-2004, 11:44 PM
sandman08

does his dad still do the photo stuff in montreal? or does anyone know.. im just curious and if he does, could it be a friendly bet or something that they have (which would add more fire to him being pumped up.. not that it'd be the reason for him not coming out to accept his naming as the first star)

Old
03-02-2004, 07:41 AM
electric

Quote:
The whole team was pissed off because of the late penalties... they just stormed right out of the place. Elias was yelling at the refs after the game and the camera showed Pat Burns clapping his hands in front of them. I don't think they were in the mood...

They asked Pat Burns about his opinions on the penalties after the game and he got mad at the reporters and said something about not being able to criticize the refs so don't ask me that sort of question

Old
03-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Classic Devil
Global Moderator
Spirit of 1988

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
The whole team was pissed off because of the late penalties... they just stormed right out of the place. Elias was yelling at the refs after the game and the camera showed Pat Burns clapping his hands in front of them. I don't think they were in the mood...

They asked Pat Burns about his opinions on the penalties after the game and he got mad at the reporters and said something about not being able to criticize the refs so don't ask me that sort of question
The fact is that they were penalties, but both teams were taking them. You can't call penalties on only one team.
I don't disagree with the calls, but if they were going to be made, they should have been against both squads.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:50 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou is God
Wow you rarely ever see a losing goalie get the first star. Classy move by the Montreal writers.
They did that to Luongo a few years back when he lost in OT with over 50 saves I believe. Real classy on their part.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:07 AM
Higgy4

Quote:

Maybe I am missing something here...but I NEVER see a losing teams player come out for the 3 stars selection. The team loses, and a guy comes out to take a bow? I dont think something like that goes over too well in the locker room.

Honestly...I have never seen it.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:12 AM
electric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy4
Maybe I am missing something here...but I NEVER see a losing teams player come out for the 3 stars selection. The team loses, and a guy comes out to take a bow? I dont think something like that goes over too well in the locker room.

Honestly...I have never seen it.
I saw it in October last year... Mario was the 2nd star of a game in Montreal and came out to the ice when he was announced.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Two observations:

Brodeur was great, the Devs defense was not. NJ fans should be scared if Stevens & Rafalski are gone for the playoffs. Rafi will probably be back, but will he be 100%?

The officiating at the end of the game was absolutely awful, the refs gave in to the Hab fans who were crying bloody murder everytime a Hab player went down. A shameful ending to such a good game.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Higgy4

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric
I saw it in October last year... Mario was the 2nd star of a game in Montreal and came out to the ice when he was announced.

Well...ok, thats Mario though. But 95% of the time you wont see a losing teams player come out for a bow, especially on the road. Hell, when the Wings lose at home (which is rare), thier players dont come out if they are a 3 star selection.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Heater15

Maybe the calls at the end were punishment for the Devils playing such a boring breed of hockey

You can't honestly tell me that Niedermayer did not elbow Ribeiro in the face at the end. A penalty is a penalty no matter what time of the game it is. I wish more refs would go by that.

Just a note so I don't p!ss some people off, I did not see the penalty taken before Niedermayer, so if that's what you're complaining about, then I apologize.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15
Maybe the calls at the end were punishment for the Devils playing such a boring breed of hockey
You have no idea what you are talking about, some of the best and exciting games the past few weeks have been between the Devils and somebody else. Some people are just going to throw out the same tired garbage.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:01 AM
electric

Just one thing though, it's not because we're in the closing minutes of a close game that players should be allowed to do what they want without getting penalties... Ribeiro took a pop in the face and took a while to get back up.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:04 AM
haakon84

Its not about the calls that were made on the Devils, it's about the calls that were not made on the Canadiens. Rupp gets pulled down on a 2 on 1 and nothing? The Canadiens aren't saints, and the Devils deserved at least 3 powerplays.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:10 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater15

You can't honestly tell me that Niedermayer did not elbow Ribeiro in the face at the end. A penalty is a penalty no matter what time of the game it is. I wish more refs would go by that.

Just a note so I don't p!ss some people off, I did not see the penalty taken before Niedermayer, so if that's what you're complaining about, then I apologize.
Yes, the first call was total BS, the fans basically made the ref call a penalty with their gripes. The Niedermayer play was dirty and should've been more than 2 minutes. Maybe it's me becasue i see him play tough games against the Rangers all these years, but he's a nasty guy when he wants to be, and this wasn't the first time i saw him cross the line.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Habsolution

I should have put on my rubber boots before entering this thread.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:39 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Yes, the first call was total BS, the fans basically made the ref call a penalty with their gripes.
Isn't it what we called Home Ice Advantage, the crowd on your side????
Hopefully, Habs fans will continue to shout their displeasure to the refs during the play-off and maybe change the outcome of many futures games

All Hail the Habbies.

Closed Thread