vCash: 500
great read, thanks

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
So Avery is actually injured... that's new, right?

This quote really annoys me-
Quote:
"We need great goaltending to have a chance to win and that's unfortunate," Turco told SportingNews.com
Good lord, stop feeling sorry for yourself. The team needs halfway competent goaltending to win, think you can manage that?

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
I actually got a chuckle out of Turco's quote, he's only mocking himself. I don't think he's wallowing in self-pity or anything like that.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:44 PM
catters078

i really like waht hull said about tippett...

"There's not enough good coaches in this league to throw away a great one when you have it,"

He is a good coach..good to see their is strong support there...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
i really like waht hull said about tippett...

"There's not enough good coaches in this league to throw away a great one when you have it,"

He is a good coach..good to see their is strong support there...
That's how I felt when everyone was calling for his head. There's not a bunch of Tippetts or Trotzs, coaches that stick around with an orginization for very long. I rather take this team apart before firing Just-the-Tippett.

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 08:46 PM
beardedgraf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman View Post
That's how I felt when everyone was calling for his head. There's not a bunch of Tippetts or Trotzs, coaches that stick around with an orginization for very long. I rather take this team apart before firing Just-the-Tippett.
you cant argue with his win percentage either

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:23 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
The article brought up a good point about pushing Turco. I don't think it needs to be a veteran, career backup, but what would it take for Dallas to get Jaroslav Halak out of Montreal?

Career: 27GP, 14W, 8L, 2.66 G.A.A., 0.914 Save%, 3 SO

He probably has a better chance of pushing Turco than Stephan does. Plus, with 2 years left on his contract with a cap hit of $725,000 per year, Dallas wouldn't have a difficult time fitting him under the cap.

EDIT:

What about Daley and Ott for Chipchura/Lapierre and Halak? Dallas could call Fistric up.

Last edited by BigG44: 11-19-2008 at 09:29 PM.
BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

What happens to Stephan, though?

Perpetual AHLer? He'll never get a shot at pushing Turco if he's always kept back in the minors.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Maybe waiving Crombeen was part of clearing space for a backup goalie trade that fell through?

Old
11-19-2008, 09:35 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
EDIT:

What about Daley and Ott for Chipchura/Lapierre and Halak? Dallas could call Fistric up.
I don't think they'd trade Lapierre, but he'd be perfect for Dallas. He's a right shot center and their best faceoff % guy. Plus, he has two years left on his contract with a cap hit of $687,500.

Old
11-19-2008, 09:38 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
What happens to Stephan, though?

Perpetual AHLer? He'll never get a shot at pushing Turco if he's always kept back in the minors.
Big deal. He's a stop-gap for Bachman and Beskorowany who have more potential. Halak is a better stop-gap and is more than that. Dallas would have a very strong crop of goaltenders, and Stephan would drop from 3rd to 4th in the ranking of Dallas goalie prospects.

Old
11-19-2008, 09:52 PM
________

Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
I don't agree with any upgrade as the backup goalie, Stephan is fine in that role and he's improving as a puck handling each time he plays. If they acquired a backup goalie the Stars would have to change styles of play since it's very unlikely they'd know how to handle the puck that good not that Stephan is great at it at all he's better then who they would acquire.

In Stephan's two starts he didn't allow any soft goals none went through him which is important the goals he allowed were on screened shots or perfectly placed no big deal.
Stephan will give the team a chance to win it's up to the rest of the team to show up, he should start either at Philadelphia or Minnesota, but probably won't.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 09:57 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
I don't agree with any upgrade as the backup goalie, Stephan is fine in that role and he's improving as a puck handling each time he plays. If they acquired a backup goalie the Stars would have to change styles of play since it's very unlikely they'd know how to handle the puck that good not that Stephan is great at it at all he's better then who they would acquire.

In Stephan's two starts he didn't allow any soft goals none went through him which is important the goals he allowed were on screened shots or perfectly placed no big deal.
Stephan will give the team a chance to win it's up to the rest of the team to show up, he should start either at Philadelphia or Minnesota, but probably won't.
Smith seemed to play Phoenix quite a bit after he shut them out to start his career. Maybe Tippett will let Stephan have another go with the Wild after playing very well against them.

Whatever happens, Turco can't play 80 games. Tippett is either going to have to turst Stephan or find someone else.

Old
11-19-2008, 10:07 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't really agree with it either, but the recent trend (Parrish, Sydor) has been to go safe and go veteran.

Old
11-19-2008, 10:10 PM
________

I would start Stephan every regular season game against the Wild, Predators, Kings and Blues. Maybe against Chicago, since Stephan has played good in both games he's played against them.
Then a couple games against average or poor east teams a year.

Old
11-19-2008, 10:22 PM
________

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I don't really agree with it either, but the recent trend (Parrish, Sydor) has been to go safe and go veteran.
How is the Sydor trade playing it safe with a veteran when Boucher is a veteran as well?

Old
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ________ View Post
How is the Sydor trade playing it safe with a veteran when Boucher is a veteran as well?
The alternative could have been a salary dump, which would have helped the team more IMO, for a cheaper defenseman.

Instead they went with familiarity and veteran leadership. Both are important, but so is the ability to put a good team on the ice. The injuries keep piling up, and the money is extremely thin.

The trade actually made the cap situation worse. Not only will it be impossible to trade him (who actually believes Sydor would waive his NTC again), but Dallas canít even waive him if it does not work out because he was over 35 when he signed the contract and counts against the cap no matter what. Well, they could waive, but who the hell would pick Sydor up?

Old
11-20-2008, 12:37 PM
________

There's one more, Sydor is great with helping out younger defenseman which is one of the biggest reasons they acquired him.