HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Keeping your cool

Old
11-22-2008, 01:51 AM
NYRSinceBirth

vCash: 500
How'd it go? Were we any help? Or did you go ape ****?

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:30 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
How'd it go? Were we any help? Or did you go ape ****?
I took a puck to the face on my first shift and ended up having to go to the hospital for stitches...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:54 AM
NYRSinceBirth

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
I took a puck to the face on my first shift and ended up having to go to the hospital for stitches...
So you kept your cool? Sorry to hear it, good luck in healing up, hopefully you won't miss any/much time.

NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:25 AM
Michael Scofield

Quote:
i have a big scar on my forehead from a puck, it was the one time i wasn't wearing a visor

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 03:03 PM
Devils Pride 26
BrickCityHockey*****

Smile and laugh at them. Works every time.

Devils Pride 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:02 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRSinceBirth View Post
So you kept your cool? Sorry to hear it, good luck in healing up, hopefully you won't miss any/much time.
LOL I guess.

I'm feeling pretty good (other than the pain from the stitches of course) so I'm going to try playing again tonight. I'm already in a bad mood though!

Old
11-22-2008, 05:46 PM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Gilbert Perrault, obviously a skill guy, got into one fight in his NHL career and kicked the ever-loving **** out of the guy he fought. People left him alone after that.

Not saying that's what you should do by any stretch, but it's food for thought.

When I played in a Men's League, our team got bumped up because our division didn't have enough teams in it. We were purposely designed as a C/D league team, since that was the league we were joining, but there was only one other team, so we got bumped up to B/C, and the B teams were allowed to have some A players on them.

We had a single point during the course of the season. We had a number of games where our guys just wouldn't show up, so we'd play the whole game, no shift changes, down a man. In that situation, there's not much left to do other than be a pest. I really enjoyed 'falling' near the A-league defenseman I was covering [I was LW] and then, as I was trying to regain my feet, 'accidentally' grabbing onto his foot and pulling him down to the ice. Our team was so bad that that sort of thing was a highlight.

Officiating in our league was really inconsistent; one of our 2 skill players repeatedly got mugged by the other C/D team, including someone literally jumping on his back when he was on a breakaway -- no call. When our guy punched the other guy in the back of the head, there was definitely a call. I threw some hits in that league, and obviously didn't play a particularly clean game, but I've never been called for an infraction in any league I've ever played in.

I'm not sure what message I'm trying to give you here -- it's probably pretty similar to what others have said. When I pulled that d-man down, he was pissed, screaming at the ref, swearing at me. I grinned at him and got up. I knew that I took him off his game at least for a minute, and that was the best I could do, so it was a mini-success.

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:17 AM
stick9

Quote:
Remember, chicks dig scars.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Keep moving your feet and skate hard to get away from the hits and cheap shots. Usually those kinds of players aren't good skaters and won't catch you if you're flying around. When they give you shoves and chops and what not, try and get the refs attention; a decent ref will see a pattern emerge and call penalties.

This year, I've drawn three penalties in five games and taken none. Last year I drew about six to ten penalties in close to thirty games. I take a lot of pride in drawing penalties and playing a clean game.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:26 PM
macleod50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Pride 26 View Post
Smile and laugh at them. Works every time.
This. Nothing pisses them off more than when you throw a big **** eating grin at them. It works wonders.

macleod50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:29 PM
PIMking

the OP said he was hit in the face with a puck. I was hit last night with a slapper from the blue line about 85 mph thank god I ducked my head since I wear a half shield and nailed me on the side of the helmet broke it and made me real dizzy.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:58 PM
noobman

Didn't work. I had a three point night in a win, which was pretty nice, but I did get punched in the face (hard) and speared in the gut without an effing call and that pretty much threw me off. I could have had a few more...

##### like this makes me want to stop playing sometimes.... this is getting dumb. Now I'm just going to be irritated all night, and I may have to skip tomorrow's game to make sure i don't kill somebody. Argh!!!!!

I managed to stay out of the box though... but I'll be honest: I haven't been this mad in a loooong time.

Old
11-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Topshelf8188
Boston Strong

Quote:

Didn't work. I had a three point night in a win, which was pretty nice, but I did get punched in the face (hard) and speared in the gut without an effing call and that pretty much threw me off. I could have had a few more...

##### like this makes me want to stop playing sometimes.... this is getting dumb. Now I'm just going to be irritated all night, and I may have to skip tomorrow's game to make sure i don't kill somebody. Argh!!!!!

I managed to stay out of the box though... but I'll be honest: I haven't been this mad in a loooong time.

At least you're playing ice hockey, I've been playing dek hockey for two years (been playing hockey since I was a kid though) and the bad thing about it is any hack can play. Playing ice you have to have some skill to stand up on skates, I can't count how many times I've been hacked playing dek hockey.

Topshelf8188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Hey all,

Does anybody have tips for keeping your cool in organized hockey? This is the first year that I'm really being targeted as a scoring threat, and as a result I've had guys dishing out all sort of cheap shots.

Unfortunately all of the groin chops, sweepfoots, cheeky trips, and trash talk have proven effective in baiting me into retaliation penalties. I just need to find a way to keep cool out there.
Story time! One year I was coaching at the University of Washighton, it was a club team at the time. We were getting our A** kicked by Gonzaga and it was 7 to 1 in the third.

Then they scored their 8th goal with about 8 minutes left in the game. The guy who scored the 8th goal for his team, got on his stick and rode the stick down the ice in front of our bench.

All of the guys watching him ride the stick from one end to the other. All's I did was watch our players watch the guy riding the stick. Just at the point when they could no longer turn their head in the direction of the stick rider, their eyes, met mine.

I didn't have to say a thing. I just looked at all of my players and they could see that I had a look on my face that could kill.

We ended up winning that game 9 to 8. The reason why I am telling you this story is that you always win and be humble. If you are an a** you will pay for it one way or another.

If you really want to get back at a team, you put the puck in the net. There is nothing better to silence up a crowd then putting the puck in the net. And if you really want to get back at the guy who's hacking away....is nothing. Just put the puck in the net.

If he's hacking away, just suck it up! That's part of the game. Let the Ref take care of the hacking. If they continue to hack, you continue to load the net with pucks. And, never, never, ride your stick or throw your glove in the air and turn your stick like a gun and act like you are shooting it down.

If you display this type of action, the odds are good they you will give the other team that extra boost they need to put them into over drive and you might find yourself on the losing side.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Reckless Abandon*

I slash in the back of legs. I throw elbows when I can. I will absolutely lay you out in a non-hitting league if I don't like you. I will put my stick between your legs, twist it just right so you trip. I will do whatever it takes make you worry about where I am and what I am going to do. The worst way to deal with it is act like a cocky, little tough guy. This just pisses us off. Score your goals, alert the refs, don't talk back or ***** to us. We want you to ***** at us. We want to know that our cheap play is getting to your head.

Reckless Abandon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 05:39 PM
PIMking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post
I slash in the back of legs. I throw elbows when I can. I will absolutely lay you out in a non-hitting league if I don't like you. I will put my stick between your legs, twist it just right so you trip. I will do whatever it takes make you worry about where I am and what I am going to do. The worst way to deal with it is act like a cocky, little tough guy. This just pisses us off. Score your goals, alert the refs, don't talk back or ***** to us. We want you to ***** at us. We want to know that our cheap play is getting to your head.
Oh my We need to play on the same team bash brothers lol

But hes is right. Guys like us who played checking hockey when youger and still hit in no check leagues love to get a rise out of you guys. the problem with me is that I lead our team in scoring and PIMs

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:37 PM
WickedWrister

add them to your ignore list

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 12:58 AM
ean

what kind of league are you playing in?

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 01:20 AM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ean View Post
what kind of league are you playing in?
Semi-competitive mens league on Fridays and juvenile minor hockey on Mondays.

Old
12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Stripes

Quote:
Semi-competitive mens league on Fridays and juvenile minor hockey on Mondays.
There's your problem. You're playing at a level where, judging from some of your recent posts about how you "can't get a call", you're expecting too much from the officials.

Mens league and juvenile minor hockey are low levels of hockey, thus you won't be getting high-level officials either. Officials at that level are either simply not good officials or they are young and developing for the future.

You need to see your levels of hockey for what they are... recreation. Go out there and have fun. Don't take it too seriously. The reason I quit officiating mens rec hockey is because of players who thought they were in the show and gave me their two cents seemingly just because there was an opposing team on the ice. I'm not trying to say that's what you are now. If you're not one of those typical rec players, don't let yourself turn into one.

Stripes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2008, 08:38 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:

If I might ask, what happened that directly preceded you getting punched in the face?

I play in mens' rec leagues too, but I don't usually see too many cheap shots on guys that play cleanly and respectfully.

The guys that play hard, score goals, back check, etc. usually don't get too much grief, even the best of them. The guys that are cherry-picking, running their mouths, taking extra hacks at goaltenders, those are the guys who usually draw the most attention. Not saying you specifically do that, but you seem to take a lot of grief. So honestly, are you doing anything to bring it upon yourself?

Also what did you do afterwards? Did you talk (calmly) to the official about the non-calls? Did he see them? If you let this stuff take you off your game, then you are letting them win and justifying their garbage. Respond to their cheap shots by re-doubling your focus on scoring.

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Bob Clarke Fan Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless Abandon View Post

Most guys that played tough physical hockey when they were younger aren't cheap enough to do half of what you do....or "say" you do. That means either you've never played any level of hockey so you act like you did OR you're telling the truth and you need to grow up on the ice before someone waits for you in the Parking Lot, it happens.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote