HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), CJAHL, and its leagues

Midget AAA?

Old
11-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Mo9

vCash: 500
Midget AAA?

What are the best Midget AAA hockey leagues in Canada?

Mo9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:18 PM
Alpine

Oh geezus
My home town? Your hometown

Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 12:50 PM
randylahey

I think Saskatchewan's SMAAAHL is generally regarded as the best followed closely by Alberta's AMHL although since Alberta added two teams a year ago I'm not sure if the level of play dropped or not.

randylahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2008, 03:55 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by randylahey View Post
I think Saskatchewan's SMAAAHL is generally regarded as the best followed closely by Alberta's AMHL although since Alberta added two teams a year ago I'm not sure if the level of play dropped or not.
I've heard some different things about what Saskatchewan does for their program. When the Minto's were in Brandon for the Regionals we were talking with them they had said in Saskatchewan there was no team "boundries" meaning if you lived in Regina you could go play in Saskatoon no questions asked. Where as in Manitoba you live in Brandon you play in Brandon, otherwise you have to get released order to play for another AAA team.
Manitoba AAA isn't bad, but Winnipeg alone has a fantastic program, two AAA teams that are elite every year, and they have basically a farm team league(Winnipeg Midget City AAA a lot of guys from Winnipeg have played there) that produces talent for their AAA team. The problem in Manitoba is theirs a High School league as well that takes away some of the AAA talent.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2008, 10:20 PM
fong p88

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
I've heard some different things about what Saskatchewan does for their program. When the Minto's were in Brandon for the Regionals we were talking with them they had said in Saskatchewan there was no team "boundries" meaning if you lived in Regina you could go play in Saskatoon no questions asked. Where as in Manitoba you live in Brandon you play in Brandon, otherwise you have to get released order to play for another AAA team.
Manitoba AAA isn't bad, but Winnipeg alone has a fantastic program, two AAA teams that are elite every year, and they have basically a farm team league(Winnipeg Midget City AAA a lot of guys from Winnipeg have played there) that produces talent for their AAA team. The problem in Manitoba is theirs a High School league as well that takes away some of the AAA talent.
In Saskatchewan it is basically another Junior League, like you said if your from one city you can go play in another. It's just my guess but I assume since a lot of guys come from small towns they don't really have a home town team and for a lot of the towns their closest AAA team would be Saskatoon which already has enough talent to draw from. I know two guys playing for the Saskatoon Blazers, 1 for the Saskatoon Contacts and 1 for Prince Albert from my hometown. Notre Dame even draws quite a few kids from out of province.
As for competition I think Saskatchewan is definitely up there looking at past Mac's winners and runners up Saskatchewan teams are often up there (although there are more western teams than eastern). But as for the National Championship (Air Canada Cup?) Saskatchewan teams are in the finals nearly every year.

fong p88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
deanosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by fong p88 View Post
In Saskatchewan it is basically another Junior League, like you said if your from one city you can go play in another. It's just my guess but I assume since a lot of guys come from small towns they don't really have a home town team and for a lot of the towns their closest AAA team would be Saskatoon which already has enough talent to draw from. I know two guys playing for the Saskatoon Blazers, 1 for the Saskatoon Contacts and 1 for Prince Albert from my hometown. Notre Dame even draws quite a few kids from out of province.
As for competition I think Saskatchewan is definitely up there looking at past Mac's winners and runners up Saskatchewan teams are often up there (although there are more western teams than eastern). But as for the National Championship (Air Canada Cup?) Saskatchewan teams are in the finals nearly every year.
Exactly, on top of that. The Western Regionals is one of the toughest to win from what I've heard (which team represents West at the Telus Cup), There's Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario I believe is also included.

There are small towns in Manitoba as well, but the way the system works is there's boundaries for each team. So basically other than Winnipeg and Brandon, teams like Central Plains, Eastman, Interlake, Norman, Yellowhead, Pembina Valley, Southwest, Parkland, those are all regional teams. However because Southwest for some reason a few players that get cut from Brandon end up going to Southwest.

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2008, 01:52 PM
fong p88

Anyone know if any games are televised?

fong p88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2009, 11:51 AM
muncher99

Quote:
Originally Posted by deangamblin View Post
Exactly, on top of that. The Western Regionals is one of the toughest to win from what I've heard (which team represents West at the Telus Cup), There's Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Northwestern Ontario I believe is also included.
I would have to disagree with this statement that the Western Regionals is the toughest to win. Now Im not saying the West is not the best region which it clearly is because of the Saskatchewan league, but if you take a look and compare each regional, the toughest regional to win would be the Central Region.

Lets Compare

Atlantic Region (5 teams)
Round Robin Tournament

Quebec
Best out of seven series to decide the League winner and Quebec representative to the Telus Cup

Pacific Region
The winners of the BC and Alberta league play a best of three series to decide who advances to the Telus Cup (could be best of five, not sure though)

West Region
Four Team (Saskatchwan, Manitoba, Host Team, and Northwestern Ontario (either Thunder Bay or Superior as those are the only teams)
- This region has a three game round robin with the top two meeting in the finals to decide who advances to the Telus Cup

Central Region (Ontario)

7 teams from across Ontario (including host)
This is a week long tournament similar to the Telus Cup but there is one more game played. If you want to advance from here you will have to play 8 full (60min) games in seven days including one day were each team will have to play two.

This is why I believe the Central doesnt do well in the Nationals because it is so physically and mentally demanding just to get through the All Ontario's let alone the Nationals a week later. After talking to members of the staff from last years national champions from Sudbury, they said the All Ontario's were tougher to win than the Nationals because of that reason.

Now before anyone starts complaing that Im crazy, Im not saying the Central is the best region, because it is not (1. Saskatchewan 2. Alberta 3. Quebec 4. BC 5. Manitoba 6. Ontario 7. Atlantic) but it is the toughest region to win

muncher99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Saskatoon

If Notre Dame wins the Telus cup this year (currently undefeated heading into the finals) 4 of the last 5 Telus cup winners will have hailed from Saskatchewan. Pretty amazing considering the population has hovered slighlty above or slightly below the 1 million mark for the past several years.

Saskatoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2009, 11:15 PM
God Bless Canada

Notre Dame has indeed won the Telus Cup. It's their first midget AAA title in 23 years, and the third national title for the program. It's also Saskatchewan's fourth national title in five years, and fifth in eight years.

Some might be surprised that Notre Dame went so long between national titles, considering its rich history. No hockey school in the world has as much history. I'll say it is the best hockey school in the world. Period.

But the junior A Hounds aren't afraid of using 17 and even 16-year-old players. That hurts them. Notre Dame is the one team in the SJHL that has no problem using midget-aged players. The other SJHL teams tend to shy away from it. That's a big reason why the Sask. Midget AAA league does so well. They get to hold on to their 17-year-old kids. Except for Notre Dame.

But Notre Dame has seen a resurgence in recent years. Tyler Myers played for them a couple years ago. I believe they won the Mac's Midget tournament a couple years ago. And now they've returned to the top of midget AAA hockey in Canada.

A couple guys who weren't big factors today, but have bright futures, were Justin Sefton and Brent Benson. Both are 93-born rookies who will probably be fairly high picks in 2011.

One last thing: Rod Black should never be allowed to broadcast a hockey game again. I did a better job once when I called a peewee AA game.

God Bless Canada is offline   Reply With Quote