HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

How will the canucks fare without Luongo (for non-canuck fans only!)

View Poll Results: How will the canucks fare with Luongo out?
Canucks will keep pace with the division lead and continue playing as well as they are 6 6.59%
Will fall, but only slightly, still a chance at the divison with Lu back 31 34.07%
Will fall, but keep a low playoff spot - just barely 24 26.37%
Will fall out of playoff contention 15 16.48%
I am a canuck fan 15 16.48%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-24-2008, 08:35 AM
  #1
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****
 
NFITO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,857
vCash: 500
How will the canucks fare without Luongo (for non-canuck fans only!)

I was interested in seeing how fans thought the Luongo situation will affect the canucks team overall, so here's a poll for you all...

this poll is only for non-canuck fans (one for canucks fans is posted on the canucks forum).

So what do you think will happen during the (assuming) 2 months that Luongo is out?? Is this canuck team Luongo and nothing else? or will they be able to stay competitive without their franchise player?

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:39 AM
  #2
dubey
~manlets~
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,556
vCash: 500
They will fall out of playoff contention

Doesn't mean they will be so far out they can't come back though if he's only out for two months.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:51 AM
  #3
Sony Eriksson*
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: N. Dallas/NYC
Country: Faroe Islands
Posts: 13,583
vCash: 500
This injury if serious will be their downfall for the season. He is the heart of the team just like Morrow is for Dallas.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:04 AM
  #4
CertifiedPublicGuin
Registered User
 
CertifiedPublicGuin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,087
vCash: 500
In my opinion, Sanford is a capable tender. Not capable of filling the shoes of Luongo, but definitely a goalie who can keep this team afloat. I see them only dropping off a bit, still a chance at the division. If this team slips, it won't be because of Sanford, alone.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:37 AM
  #5
Teemu
Moderator
 
Teemu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Palatine
Country: United States
Posts: 20,414
vCash: 500
Fall out of contention, but just barely. Should Demitra or one of the Sedins go down, it's lights out.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:42 AM
  #6
Michael Scofield
Registered User
 
Michael Scofield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
7th-8th spot i think they will end up after Luongo returns. their form will fall slightly but too much

Michael Scofield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
  #7
vippe
Registered User
 
vippe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 10,809
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
I think they will be good without Luongo aswell^^

Since we do not know my answer isnt any worse than anyone elses

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:50 AM
  #8
tony d
Thanks for memories
 
tony d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Behind A Tree
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,690
vCash: 500
They will fall but still will keep a low playoff spot, they've been playing good this season, let's see if they keep it up without their best player.

tony d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:45 AM
  #9
daveskirtun
:o)
 
daveskirtun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,291
vCash: 920
Option #2

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:49 AM
  #10
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,378
vCash: 500
undefeated until the end of the season.


I mean... I'm a canucks fan.

It depends, if they play the way they have in front of Sanford for the past 2 games and Sanford can play well enough to not cost them games they will be fine.

If the rest of the team crumbles then they are out of it.

If sanford faulters then they still have a chance with Schneider.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:18 PM
  #11
8BostonRocker24
Registered User
 
8BostonRocker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Los Gatos via Boston
Country: China
Posts: 9,214
vCash: 500
The Northwest is the 2nd worst division in hockey and the worst in the West. If they "fall out of it", it won't take much to be right back at the top of that division... It's not like they play in the Pacific or Central.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 01:50 PM
  #12
SlowShot
Registered User
 
SlowShot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Cameroon
Posts: 1,948
vCash: 500
Are they going to keep playing Sanford or are they going to bring up schneider. If Sanfords going to be starting the majorty they will drop but if Schneider starts the majority and plays like he was for the Moose they will be fine.

SlowShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 02:12 PM
  #13
serge2k
Registered User
 
serge2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 14,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowShot View Post
Are they going to keep playing Sanford or are they going to bring up schneider. If Sanfords going to be starting the majorty they will drop but if Schneider starts the majority and plays like he was for the Moose they will be fine.
If Schneider plays like he has for the moose they would be more than fine.

Schneider was already called up.

serge2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:15 PM
  #14
King of Anarchy
Registered User
 
King of Anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
We should be okay.

Sanford is a very capable goalie and Schneider obviously has a ton of potential. (as well he played great in TC.)

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:18 PM
  #15
oilsands
shut 'em down.
 
oilsands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Halland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,709
vCash: 500
They....will....succeed.....

oilsands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:28 PM
  #16
Street Hawk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,596
vCash: 500
Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
I was interested in seeing how fans thought the Luongo situation will affect the canucks team overall, so here's a poll for you all...

this poll is only for non-canuck fans (one for canucks fans is posted on the canucks forum).

So what do you think will happen during the (assuming) 2 months that Luongo is out?? Is this canuck team Luongo and nothing else? or will they be able to stay competitive without their franchise player?
Canucks will be going with Sanford/Schneider as their goalies while Luongo is out.
Their success while Luongo is out depends entirely on how well Schneider plays. Sanford, we know what we are going to get with him for the most part. He allowed a soft goal in each of his last 2 games against Minny and Pitt. Can't let that happen on an ongoing basis. If Schneider can come anywhere near his AHL starts in the NHL, Nucks will be fine. He's been on a tear in the AHL for 3/4 of a season now. Last half of last season and the first quarter of this season.

In terms of Sanford, how many games he plays depends on his performance. Last year, when Fleury went down, the Pens rode Conklin. Then again, I don't recall who their #3 goalie was at the time. NJ this year with Brodeur out, have played both Weekes/Clemmenson. Not really piling on all of the starts to Weekes. How many games the backup gets in these situations also depends on the confidence the team has on the #3 goalie. I think the Nucks are high on Schneider and he'll get a good number of games. I'm think 40% of the games if Luongo is out for 20 games.

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:30 PM
  #17
Vinegar Strokes
Grumkin
 
Vinegar Strokes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fort Collins
Country: United States
Posts: 5,789
vCash: 500
Fall slightly, still be in position to win the division.

Vinegar Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:39 PM
  #18
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation
 
TimeZone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Lost
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,210
vCash: 500
Will fall, but keep a low playoff spot

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:34 PM
  #19
Warren Piece
Registered User
 
Warren Piece's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,742
vCash: 500
I think they will do alright

Warren Piece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:41 PM
  #20
WickedWrister
Registered User
 
WickedWrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,766
vCash: 500
I don't care what you say, losing one of the best goalies in the world cannot be a good thing. Having said that, I think Sanford and Co. are more than capable backups. Is Sanford the new Conklin?

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:33 AM
  #21
AgentNaslund*
 
AgentNaslund*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 View Post
The Northwest is the 2nd worst division in hockey and the worst in the West. If they "fall out of it", it won't take much to be right back at the top of that division... It's not like they play in the Pacific or Central.
Dumbest thing comment Ive seen.

North West almost had 4 teams go into the playoffs.

Out of all 6 divisions, only the North WEst division have a chance of having 4 teams go into the playoffs.

Northwest division = toughest division in hockey.

AgentNaslund* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:43 AM
  #22
Canucks5551
Registered User
 
Canucks5551's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Vancouver Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Hawk View Post
Canucks will be going with Sanford/Schneider as their goalies while Luongo is out.
Their success while Luongo is out depends entirely on how well Schneider plays. Sanford, we know what we are going to get with him for the most part. He allowed a soft goal in each of his last 2 games against Minny and Pitt. Can't let that happen on an ongoing basis. If Schneider can come anywhere near his AHL starts in the NHL, Nucks will be fine. He's been on a tear in the AHL for 3/4 of a season now. Last half of last season and the first quarter of this season.

In terms of Sanford, how many games he plays depends on his performance. Last year, when Fleury went down, the Pens rode Conklin. Then again, I don't recall who their #3 goalie was at the time. NJ this year with Brodeur out, have played both Weekes/Clemmenson. Not really piling on all of the starts to Weekes. How many games the backup gets in these situations also depends on the confidence the team has on the #3 goalie. I think the Nucks are high on Schneider and he'll get a good number of games. I'm think 40% of the games if Luongo is out for 20 games.
Sabourin

Canucks5551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.