HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Full Contact Adult Leagues

Old
11-19-2008, 10:56 PM
dauster

vCash: 500
Full Contact Adult Leagues

Is it just my general area (northern N.J) or is it near to impossible to find a full contact adult league. I played for a travel roller team in h.s that was full contact and am just switching to ice b/c of the lack of adult options for roller and i am not ready to give up hockey for a long time. But all these ********* leagues where checking is a penalty seriously makes me doubt hockeys future. What is hockey w/o contact?!

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:14 PM
frito

When you're 40 you'll appreciate non-checking leagues.

frito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:29 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
Is it just my general area (northern N.J) or is it near to impossible to find a full contact adult league. I played for a travel roller team in h.s that was full contact and am just switching to ice b/c of the lack of adult options for roller and i am not ready to give up hockey for a long time. But all these ********* leagues where checking is a penalty seriously makes me doubt hockeys future. What is hockey w/o contact?!
Still a pretty fun game

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:36 PM
PIMking

Hockey will never be no contact. No check on the other hand is different. Most guys in the leagues dont know how to skate with there heads up and will be taken out on stretchers because people would be killing eachother. What about boarding late hits and then fights. I play a physical game in non check you just cant kill anyone.

I will rub you off the puck, push you around, lift you up, rub you into the board but I wont check ya. I have checked people and thats because they deserve it.

But on the other hand it would be fun to find an local travel league like here in iowa there are 6 areana that you could def make a weekend travel check league. But Im sure insurance would be outragous and you would have to sign a waiver.

then you would have a** bags that would be more interested in just leveling people and hurting people.

PIMking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:49 PM
Bluefan75

I'm with PIMking. You really want to be careful about looking for a contact league. Between the clean hits, and the fact guys will try to drill you cleanly or not, is it really worth it?

You can play non-checking without losing a lot of the fun. I never played gorwing up, so a contact game would get me killed, absolutely. But there is still some physical play. If I'm coming up along the boards, a good defenseman may skate along, just get in front, and slowly edge me into the boards. That's fine. If I'm front of the net, they want to tie up my stick, or if they skate up, and lean on me and move me around a bit, that's cool as well. I'm not having to worry about being cross checked in the back, slewfooted or any of that crap, but it's still pretty tough to score a goal.

Plus I think insurance will be astronomical for a league that is non-progressional(ie a step on teh ladder towards pro hockey.)

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:56 PM
dauster

yea the insurance costs is a very good point, i need to watch more games form different leagues before i find one to join. it just pisses me off b/c i went to watch one and any non accidental semi contact was being called, hopefully it was just some stupid ref that game.

dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:47 AM
noobman

Keep in mind that most of these leagues will have a "no bodychecking" rule, not a "no contact" rule. That means that standing your ground, giving guys small bumps, and taking the body along the boards will be acceptable. The refs will yell at you for all of these things, but you will not be penalized.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:48 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I'm sorry, but who wants to play full contact as an adult unless your getting paid?

95% of players in an adult league have jobs, they play hockey on the side for fun and exercise. Do you want to explain to your job why your getting injured all the time and have to miss 2 months of work due to being checked from behind?

I love playing hockey still the same as I did in HS with or without checking. Hockey for me is about speed and skill...there is still some bumpage in my leagues but nobody is looking to kill someone, and thats the way it should once your have a career in something else.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:08 AM
NYRSinceBirth

For the same reason most leagues require full cages: Insurance. Do you realize how absurdly high insurance premiums would be, or how stupid expensive it would be to play in a league like that? It just so happens most guys prefer the no checking (Contact OK) approach for reasons raised above.

Last edited by NYRSinceBirth: 11-20-2008 at 05:33 AM.
NYRSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine88 View Post
95% of players in an adult league have jobs, they play hockey on the side for fun and exercise. Do you want to explain to your job why your getting injured all the time and have to miss 2 months of work due to being checked from behind?
I'd worry more about explaining to my wife and family why I can't work because of a game. But you're 100% correct, the risk of injury is high enough in no-check leagues and not too many of us can afford a couple weeks or months off work to recover.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 07:59 AM
lextune
I'm too old for this

Quote:
I'm sorry, but who wants to play full contact as an adult unless your getting paid?

Exactly. Except in my league I'd guess it was closer to 99%.

lextune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Shwag33

The no checking leagues aren't bad at all. Like others have said just because its not checking doesn't mean its no contact.

I play defense I'll push people around infront of the net, rode people off pucks, etc. I mean it takes a pretty damn big hit to get a penalty, you can half check without anything getting called.

Shwag33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:02 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dauster View Post
It's called having to get up and go to work the next day.

Don't confuse no check with no contact. I've played in plenty of no check leagues and they still plenty of contact. Plus, these leagues are open to anyone. You have guys at various skill levels and body sizes. Allowing checking in those leagues is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 11:54 AM
87vert

I believe there is only one checking league in this area.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:03 PM
densetsu

A couple of the leagues in Edmonton have checking, but it's restricted to the top division. The teams in those top divisions are full of ex-pros and ex-juniors, they know what they're doing and how to check properly. Insurance, liability would probably become a big issue if they let every joe chug a couple pre-game beers, then randomly race toward their opponents and imitate what they see on TV.

If you're just an everyday beer-leaguer, it could be hard to find a place that'll let you throw a check. The only place where that actually happened was in my University intramural league... same situation, only the top division was full-contact, but it was a lot easier to get a team into the top division there than it is in a public men's league.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:36 PM
guapo23

The trick is to find a league where everybody in it played contact for a few years and know the difference between a clean & dirty hit.

Then you meet with the ref before the game and establish the limits.

To avoid injuries, some leagues I have played in only allow contact in areas where the boards are on a straight angle. No contact where the boards curve, no contact allowed behind the red goal line. Basically as soon as you are below the hash-marks, no contact allowed.

This elimates the danger areas where people can be hit in vulnerable positions.

If you are in a league with a huge disparity of skill level, identify the players who are of the same size & skill level as you who enjoy a bit of contact. Mix it up with them as they can enjoy that type of play. Leave alone the weaker players who always have their heads down.

Last edited by guapo23: 11-20-2008 at 03:04 PM.
guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
A couple of the leagues in Edmonton have checking, but it's restricted to the top division. The teams in those top divisions are full of ex-pros and ex-juniors, they know what they're doing and how to check properly. Insurance, liability would probably become a big issue if they let every joe chug a couple pre-game beers, then randomly race toward their opponents and imitate what they see on TV.
This is a good point. I'm not sure where in NNJ the OP is from, but I have played in several of the rinks up there. The league in Hackensack has 8 divisions, and I have played in most of them, and I can definitely say that the level of contact that is allowed goes up with each division. The D2 playoffs were almost as physical as some of my ACHA games.

Synergy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:24 AM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy27 View Post
This is a good point. I'm not sure where in NNJ the OP is from, but I have played in several of the rinks up there. The league in Hackensack has 8 divisions, and I have played in most of them, and I can definitely say that the level of contact that is allowed goes up with each division. The D2 playoffs were almost as physical as some of my ACHA games.
I've played in the Hackensack league too, and in Division 6 we had a defenseman that was routinely penalized for standing guys up in the zone. Note, he didn't hit them, he just kept his gap and when they tried to deke around him he wouldn't let them follow the puck. You might snicker because it's D6, but there are actually some very good stickhandlers even at that level.

I've watched some of the D2 games and it's real quality hockey, but the most physical play that I've seen is guys battling for pucks which is allowed at every level.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 04:26 AM
Lyons71

Adult leagues would be insane with hitting. I'm just out there to have fun and play. Not to beat a dude into submission.

On a side note, a few years ago my team was wooping the other team's ass 7-1, and some dude on their team lowers the boom on me McLaren-Zednik style. I wasn't wearing a mouth guard because i'm not expecting to get nailed in the head like that in a rec game. I felt that the rest of the night. Safe to say the rest of the game was a cluster **** because my team was now pissed off and the refs didn't have any balls to throw anyone out. Made the whole game not fun. Going to work the next day with a sore jaw is sucky as well. Hockey can be fun without huge hits, but sadly it seems you can't get rid of the douchebaggary.

Lyons71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 08:13 AM

i played my first contact game in 6 years last night and i ****ed up my shoulder good. its not dislocated, but the pain is constantly sharp a few people say it could be a slight rotator cuff tear because i still hvae some movement (although not very much). it reminded me of why i dont care for hitting and how stupid i was to try and hit the guy in the first place. be careful what you ask for!

91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:54 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack View Post
I've played in the Hackensack league too, and in Division 6 we had a defenseman that was routinely penalized for standing guys up in the zone. Note, he didn't hit them, he just kept his gap and when they tried to deke around him he wouldn't let them follow the puck. You might snicker because it's D6, but there are actually some very good stickhandlers even at that level.
As normal as this is to see at the pro level penalizing that is still probably a good idea for beginners. While it's not necessarily a 'hit', it still creates a collision, which can be more dangerous for beginners who may not be expecting it or know how to take it.

RandV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:12 PM
SJGoalie32

Quote:

I love playing hockey still the same as I did in HS with or without checking. Hockey for me is about speed and skill...there is still some bumpage in my leagues but nobody is looking to kill someone, and thats the way it should once your have a career in something else.
This^^^^

Reality is that, once you're beyond HS or college, life isn't just about fun and games. People have to go out and get jobs to raise and support families. Hockey is expensive enough as is. Most people can't afford to miss significant work time and go unpaid because of a silly game. Outside of professional hockey, most employers don't care that you broke your foot while blocking a slapshot for your team, they only care that you aren't at work.

Have you ever watched a full season of full contact NHL hockey? I can't think of a single team in recent history that didn't have at least one player miss a significant chunk of ice time with a serious injury. And those guys are professionals at both throwing checks and absorbing them.

Difference is, all those guys are making 6 & 7-figure guaranteed contracts for the rigors they put themselves through. There is a high level of risk, but there is also a high reward. Even the minor leaguers get paid a liveable salary and are pushing towards the future possibility of an NHL contract. Difference is that, when an NHL player dislocates his shoulder after taking a hard check, an entire medical team quickly evaluates him, the team gives him a day or two without practice to rest up, maybe sit him for a game or two, and maybe some light rehab. In the real world, you've got to wake up 10 hours later and go right back to work. You don't get a medical trainer. You can't take time off of work to get an MRI or rehab. Any medical treatment you do get will be expensive, if you even have a job that offers medical coverage.

Look, I love hockey as much as the next puckhead......but at the end of the day, it's still just a game. A sport, played for fun and exercise. Non-check hockey is still a dangerous sport, but many of the physical dangers are least minimized.

And as stick9 said: "You have guys at various skill levels and body sizes. Allowing checking in those leagues is just asking for someone to get seriously hurt."

SJGoalie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
As normal as this is to see at the pro level penalizing that is still probably a good idea for beginners. While it's not necessarily a 'hit', it still creates a collision, which can be more dangerous for beginners who may not be expecting it or know how to take it.
I agree that it should be a penalty, but only because it's illegal to play the body as opposed to the puck. The forwards that he was standing up were young guys that obviously had played varsity high school hockey and were taking advantage of the fact that they couldn't be touched, not beginners.

I'm not sure if you're familiar with the Hackensack league, but it's very competitive and even D6 has some pretty talented players.

As someone who played in his first full contact game at the age of 24, I see no reason that a safe and fun adult contact league can't be organized with all the interest in hockey there is in NJ. It's part of the game, I hope someone does it.

Blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I always thought it would be fun to play in a checking league until I saw a college league play before a pickup game. No thank you. Besides the jobs and injuries most beer league players are in pretty bad physical condition. You see a lot of beer guts, flab, guys haven't seen a weight since high school. Add that in with crappy gear which is also common in beer leagues and you would have guys breaking or popping shoulders every game. Not to mention most beer league players have never been coached or shown the proper way to hit people among other things.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:18 AM
Gino 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
Not to mention most beer league players have never been coached or shown the proper way to hit people among other things.
It's as important to know how to take a hit as it is to give one. Most beer league players can barely stop correctly.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote