HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Could the NY Rangers....

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 12:46 AM
Iggy-4-50

vCash: 500
Could the NY Rangers....

go down as the most disfuntional team in the history of the NHL?

WOW!! i can't beleive they still have fans.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:47 AM
Jacob

Yes.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:50 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

Awards:
Perhaps the saddest too. It's going to be what seven years no playoffs? Way to kill a franchise espicially one that is important to the NHL's success.

Old
03-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Rabid Ranger
Imperiled Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

I think the more appropriate term is "the most disfunctional management team in the NHL." Rangers brass deserves all the "credit" for the near decade of ineptitude.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger
I think the more appropriate term is "the most disfunctional management team in the NHL." Rangers brass deserves all the "credit" for the near decade of ineptitude.

So true, they are so disfunctional that they are willing to blame everyone else but themselves for the mess the current team is in. Maybe Dolan will pull his head out of his arse and hire a GM with some vison.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:25 AM
Karl Pilkington

The Rangers are so bad because they use the same strategy as the Yankees do when it comes to filling a roster: throwing money at superstars to play for them. And unlike baseball where that strategy works, since its not a team sport, but an individualistic one, you can't build a team without assigning roles to players.. its not just Glen Sather's fault for sucking so much... but its the city's fault.. I dont know if its true about all new yorkers, but it seems they need to have a handful of superstars to be on their team for them to enjoy a game.. and it doesn't work. I hate how at the beginning of every season, those hockey pool magazines will always project that the rangers will be in 1st in the NHL at the end of the season.. you'd think they, and the Rangers organization would learn by now...

Old
03-02-2004, 08:30 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWI19
So true, they are so disfunctional that they are willing to blame everyone else but themselves for the mess the current team is in. Maybe Dolan will pull his head out of his arse and hire a GM with some vison.
Smith has vison. Sather has vison. It is Dolan who is demanding the wins now.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:31 AM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
The Rangers are so bad because they use the same strategy as the Yankees do when it comes to filling a roster: throwing money at superstars to play for them. And unlike baseball where that strategy works, since its not a team sport, but an individualistic one, you can't build a team without assigning roles to players.. its not just Glen Sather's fault for sucking so much... but its the city's fault.. I dont know if its true about all new yorkers, but it seems they need to have a handful of superstars to be on their team for them to enjoy a game.. and it doesn't work. I hate how at the beginning of every season, those hockey pool magazines will always project that the rangers will be in 1st in the NHL at the end of the season.. you'd think they, and the Rangers organization would learn by now...

City's fault? You've never even seen New York, have you?

Browse our boards for a bit to learn what the real fans think about our team and its management.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:35 AM
Fan-of-#9

I'm going to stick for the Rangers a bit here.

They are a franchise in major turmoil right now! Really? OMG!

Enough with these threads already. Do people not get sick of bashing the Rangers?

Old
03-02-2004, 08:39 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowrunner
City's fault? You've never even seen New York, have you?

Browse our boards for a bit to learn what the real fans think about our team and its management.
I' m not talking about everyone... but there are some people (most of them not real New Yorkers.. ie: John Davidson) who make me come to this conclusion.

Old
03-02-2004, 08:45 AM
electric

In order for a team to win, the players have to care about wether or not the team wins... I mean, look at their roster. They have so much talent...

Old
03-02-2004, 08:46 AM
Safir*

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

Blackhawks are much worse!!!

Old
03-02-2004, 08:50 AM
iagreewithidiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan-of-#9
Enough with these threads already. Do people not get sick of bashing the Rangers?
People never get sick of bashing a team that isnt their favorite.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

Nope, I gotta say they are the worst in sports as a whole.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:28 AM
Yotes03

At first I can't blame management. After all, acquiring the most talented players in the league seems like a decent blueprint for success. But after three or four years of underachieving you would think that they would've figured it out. But instead, they go and trade for Jagr?! They deserve every piece of bad press they get. And in NY, I can only imagine they're getting plenty.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:52 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T

Wow! Flames are making playoffs finally after 7(?) years of missing it and their fans are taking shot at NYR franchise and fans?

Old
03-02-2004, 09:59 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Wow! Flames are making playoffs finally after 7(?) years of missing it and their fans are taking shot at NYR franchise and fans?
In T@T's defense, the only talent the Flames had was Iginla. NYR has had all this talent for years. They have had Messier, Leetch, Concussion boy, Bure, it's just sad.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:02 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomACE
Blackhawks are much worse!!!
I don't know how much worse... but definitely they are worse as a franchise and a team.

Old
03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
ehc73

Send a message via ICQ to ehc73
Blackhawks and Rangers are bad in opposite extremes. The Hawks' owner is cheap and tells management to trade away any star player they have because they cost too much. The Rangers' owner throws money around and tells management to get the best players out there in order to get wins now. Both mismanaged, both owned by inept people(although Wirtz wins in the stupid owner department).

Old
03-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Smith has vison. Sather has vison. It is Dolan who is demanding the wins now.
I couldn't agree more.

To suggest that Smith didn't have "vision" is to suggest that his work as NYR GM from 1989-94 didn't exist, only the years after the Cup. (And he did bring that team a Cup. While we know that collecting shiny prospsects is more important to some on HF , GMs are hired to win.)

Sather's best days are clearly behind him, but again, it's pure folly and myopic to suggest a guy who was President, GM and coach of one of the greatest teams in history has become a dunce two decades later. (And despite the revisionists, Sather was instrumental to Edmonton's success of the 80s.)

It starts at the top at MSG. And seems to me that the management is the one selling this "fans demand superstars and instant success" line. Go to the NYR board here and you'll see a lot of fans (not all, of course) who are more than willing to go the rebuilding route...as in picks, prospects and patience. And shedding deadweight fatcats with "superstar" reputations (but nothing else).

Old
03-02-2004, 02:17 PM
DaMick
at least we got D

Send a message via MSN to DaMick
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseTheo
Funny i get a laugh when i see people compare the Rangers & the Yankees

if you wanted to make a realistic comparison use NY Mets or La Dodgers Vs NY Rangers

All 3 teams never emphasize youth
All 3teams get old vets
Neither has won anything in quite some time

The Yankees have a winning tradition that percedes such shallow mentality
thier farm system has helped in both trades & developing players [Jeter,Soriano [traded],Posada,B.Williams,Pettite[gone freeagency],M.Rivera,

Plus as stated before Read Both NYI & NYR boards before throwing that blanket "new yorkers will need to have a handful of superstars to be on their team for them to enjoy a game"

Ranger fans want to rebuild & get rid of thier vets...
read thier board youll see

Closed Thread