HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Would you rather have the Rangers?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 06:15 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1170
Would you rather have the Rangers?

A question for Flyers loyalists. If somehow the future could be decided and you were told that the Flyers would win the Stanley Cup in 2004 under this one condition: that the 2005-2014 seasons would have the same results (regular season and post season) as the Rangers have had from 1995-2004 after winning their Cup in 1994, would you agree to it?

Old
03-02-2004, 06:18 PM
Brad*

vCash: 500
Yes.

With the amount of NHL teams there are today, and the parity in the league there would be no guarantee that they would win in my lifetime.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:39 PM
donelikedinner

win today. worry about the future tomorrow.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:47 PM
Big Bill

Send a message via ICQ to Big Bill Send a message via MSN to Big Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
win today. worry about the future tomorrow.
I am a Rags fan and would take that CUP in 94 for this futility anyday. A lot of the fans on these boards value prospects over cups. It is swayed this year due to the uncertainty of the lockout and financial considerations. Otherwise, if you have a legit shot at the cup, you sell the farm. The Rags main problems were post 1994. I mean Vancouver rebuilt after that Cup finals. We kept holding on to an aging tea, signing ufas, trading draft picks, making bad picks, trading prospects. I think people are a bot fooled thinking ddeveloping prospects can build dynasties, but I think in this NHL, there really cannot be one like Edmonton or the Isles of the 70-80s.

But that cup was worth it.

Old
03-02-2004, 07:20 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
take the cup...

Old
03-02-2004, 07:29 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Of course I would. I just want to see one damn Cup win.

I was born in 1978, so I obviously have no real frame of refrence from the two Cup wins.

Old
03-02-2004, 07:43 PM
RoDu

take the cup, but unlike the Rangers, we would eventually rebuild

Old
03-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Rails

Send a message via AIM to Rails
We'd probably stay in the playoffs too. But for they sake of the question, yes a cup win, then a lock out, and then 4-5 years of no playoffs would be a ok with me.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:00 PM
Shadowtron

I think there's more myth to the whole Rangers-still-paying-for-cup notion. It was ten years ago. I don't care how badly you decimate your club, it doesn't cost you ten years of success. As someone here said, "unlike the Rangers, we'd rebuild". During that year there was nothing to rebuild! The core of Rangers were still young or relatively young. Messier was only 33, Leetch, Richter, Graves were all 25-26. Kovalev was only 21, Zubov was 21, Buek was in his 20's. The problem comes from the fact that the Rangers don't know when to quit. They're not losing because they won the cup, they're losing because they're trying to add on to THAT hockey team. Rather than tear it down after the first two misses, they kept trying to bandage the rickety machine and convince everyone that it was brand new, just had a few parts missing. The FLYER'S would have rebuilt. If they were dangling Zubov and Nedved, and were offered, then an unknown, Tkachuk and a relatively unknown Selanne, they'd have jumped at the offer. Worse case they could have parlayed that into a trade that addresses other needs. The Rangers scoffed at that trade and opted for Luc Robataille and Ulf Samuelsson. Then they continued to toss away decent young players for vets like Momesso, Kurri, Churla, etc. etc. That, in my opinion, has cost the Rangers 7 years of playoff hockey. For the life of me, I can't see Clarke half that amount of time.

Anyway, gotta go. Rangers a set to lose to Atlanta tonight. Later

Old
03-03-2004, 09:30 AM
tytech

Definitely. We keep trading away our youth and we'll be out of the playoffs for seven years straight soon anyway.

Old
03-03-2004, 09:50 AM
blah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tytech
Definitely. We keep trading away our youth and we'll be out of the playoffs for seven years straight soon anyway.
I highly doubt that.

Old
03-03-2004, 10:49 AM
flyercide

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles
A question for Flyers loyalists. If somehow the future could be decided and you were told that the Flyers would win the Stanley Cup in 2004 under this one condition: that the 2005-2014 seasons would have the same results (regular season and post season) as the Rangers have had from 1995-2004 after winning their Cup in 1994, would you agree to it?
I would. I watched those 6 or so years without playoff hockey and it was still fun to watch. Mostly because of Lindros.. but still I wouldn't think twice about it.

Old
03-03-2004, 11:22 AM
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
take the cup, but unlike the Rangers, we would eventually rebuild
The post says, the exact future. That being said... I would take the Cup. 7 years is tough, but with a hard cap coming, the Flyers will be screwed either way with the load of fat contracts they have.

Closed Thread