HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Our 4th d-man is on the team!

Old
11-21-2008, 10:26 AM
habs1988

vCash: 500
Our 4th d-man is on the team!

Hey guys!

Everyone is bashing that we don't have a 4th d-man and all...but I've found one : Gorges. He plays like he never did before and should be promoted from the 3rd pair when Komi returns.

When Komi returns, what do you think to put him with Hamrlik and let Gorges with Markov or put Gorges with Hammer and Komi with MArkov.

It would look like :

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Gorges
Cube - O'Byrne

or

Markov - Gorges
Hammer - Komi
Cube - O'Byrne

Gorges is playing way better than O'Byrne and is excellent with Markov.

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakukoivu2003 View Post
Hey guys!

Everyone is bashing that we don't have a 4th d-man and all...but I've found one : Gorges. He plays like he never did before and should be promoted from the 3rd pair when Komi returns.

When Komi returns, what do you think to put him with Hamrlik and let Gorges with Markov or put Gorges with Hammer and Komi with MArkov.

It would look like :

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Gorges
Cube - O'Byrne

or

Markov - Gorges
Hammer - Komi
Cube - O'Byrne

I think he always was the 4th defenseman of the team. But he plays on the 3rd pairing to spread-out the talent - such that Hammer is the one getting the responsibility to cover for the 6th D, either O'Byrne or Breezer.

Problem is the team needs a second player like him.

Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Squeaky

Gorges already is our #4. O'Byrne/Breezy get paired with Hamrlik because Hammer is good at covering for their mistakes. Gorges plays just shy of 20 minutes a night. Heck, he actually plays 1 second more a game than Komisarek does.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Roulin

I know splitting our top pair seems blasphemous, but the Markov-Gorges pair has impressed the hell out of me. Maybe we could give Hamrlik a decent partner when Komisaurus gets back?

Markov-Gorges
Hamrlik-Komi

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:47 AM
habsfan56

pairing hamrlik with gorges or komisarek may give him an incentive to play a more offensive game

habsfan56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Hey guys!

It would look like :

Markov - Komi
Hammer - Gorges
Cube - O'Byrne

or

Markov - Gorges
Hammer - Komi
Cube - O'Byrne

No way in hell Gorges is a top 4 d-man on a championship calibre team. This is right up there with predicting 90 points for S.Kostystyn.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I have to agree that Gorges is exceeding my expectations by a mile. I was expecting him to be shaky, and a top 6, but hes playing good, solid All AROUND offensive/defensive hockey. And i Love it, He is Dynamite ready to blow and I am thrilled we have him on our team.

I just need to give a hats off to Brooks Laich from last night with his PK skill, it was amazing, He has been taking lessons from Ovechkin about playing as a spare Goalie without pads

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:38 AM
Habitants

Gorges is great!
i afelt he was pretty solid last season and he is continuing his progess very well!

did u know he was captain when he played in Kelowna?

Habitants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:50 AM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No way in hell Gorges is a top 4 d-man on a championship calibre team. This is right up there with predicting 90 points for S.Kostystyn.
Hence the constant calls for Bob to acquire another top-4 defenseman.

Gorges would be an ideal #5, someone to stabilize the 3rd pairing, as he's used now. The biggest difference would be having a legitimate defenseman to play with Hamrlik, which knocks either O'Byrne or Brisebois out of the top-6.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Lone Rogue

When people cry for a number four, the truth is, we could settle for a shut-down D-man to play with Hamrlik. Hamrlik proved at the start of the year that he can be an offensive threat on the blueline if he has room to do it. If we had a shut down player doing the defensive work to let Hamrlik focus on his offensive game (like Markov has with Komisarek), we'd be in a lot better shape.

Ryan O'Byrne, Mathieu Dandenault and Patrice Brisebois just won't bring that presence to the second pairing. I'd love to get a Greg Zanon sort of player to do it.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:07 PM
habs1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
When people cry for a number four, the truth is, we could settle for a shut-down D-man to play with Hamrlik. Hamrlik proved at the start of the year that he can be an offensive threat on the blueline if he has room to do it. If we had a shut down player doing the defensive work to let Hamrlik focus on his offensive game (like Markov has with Komisarek), we'd be in a lot better shape.

Ryan O'Byrne, Mathieu Dandenault and Patrice Brisebois just won't bring that presence to the second pairing. I'd love to get a Greg Zanon sort of player to do it.

I repeat...we should see for Ohlund or Morris (RH). These 2 players rocks defensively and could provide some offense too on the PP. But, the cap space is so small that we couldn't afford one of these players except if we trade Dandy, Begin...

habs1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:12 PM
LeMAD

Gorges is great as 3rd pairing, but is too small and limited talentwise to get a bigger workload. Same with Bouillon.

LeMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Roulin

Quote:
I repeat...we should see for Ohlund or Morris (RH). These 2 players rocks defensively and could provide some offense too on the PP. But, the cap space is so small that we couldn't afford one of these players except if we trade Dandy, Begin...
Assuming we replace Begin with Chipchura or Stewart, trading him would only save us $100k or $450k. Actually, less, since we've already taken a cap hit on Begin for a quarter of the season. We're talking approximately $80k or $350k. That won't help us acquire anyone.

Old
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
HotPie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Gorges is great as 3rd pairing, but is too small and limited talentwise to get a bigger workload. Same with Bouillon.
His 27:33 min last night disagree with you. Gorges is a top 4 guy IMO, and once Komi returns I really think he should take O'Byrne's spot with Hamrlik.

I understand the whole "spreading out the talent" thing, but we haven't seen what O'byrne can do with Bouillon yet, and if anything we can just limit his ice-time as much as we can. Doesn't solve our problem but it's a step-up from the current situation I think.

HotPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Gorges has been playing about 25 minutes per game (27:30 last night) since Komi went down, and has been one of the team's best players. I'd say he just proved he can handle a bigger workload.

Old
11-21-2008, 12:35 PM
TCIH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rogue View Post
Greg Zanon (NSH), Karlis Skrastins (FLA), Ruslan Salei (COL).

Three defensive defensemen with the ability to hit and provide further stability on a pairing with Hamrlik, all on teams that may be out of the race (or close to it) by the deadline.

TCIH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Joe Cole

You have to think of the pair of defensemen as a unit.

Gorges is playing great.

Moving him to the 4th spot is not maximizing your roster. Granted O'Byrne is not a solid legimate second pairing D yet, he has the make up to be one. Gorges does not. Maybe he will continue to develop and be the answer, but from the results of the games since Komisarek has been out, the results do not lie.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:59 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Hey guys!

Gorges has been our 4th D all year. There's really no such thing as 1st, 4th, 6th, it's just what the media and fans use. Just look at their ice time, Gorges gets way more ice time then O'B and has been all season, yes O'B is on the 2nd pairing but prior to Komi's injury he was getting 15 minutes a game, the least amount of ice time per average then all our D's.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:09 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
He's 6'1 202.

Many people forget that he's only 24 years old and won't turn 25 until next training camp. As it stands, Gorges is qualified to play the second pairing and is only going to get better.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Lone Rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post

Three defensive defensemen with the ability to hit and provide further stability on a pairing with Hamrlik, all on teams that may be out of the race (or close to it) by the deadline.
I have been singing the praises of Zanon for a while now. If there is a cheap D-man out there I'd want to see in a Canadiens uniform beside Hamrlik, its Zanon. The guy also buys into our team philosophy of shot blocking.

Lone Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 02:33 PM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityIsHockey View Post

I always wanted Salei, I like his game alot, very aggressive and physical, even mean and nasty in his zone, which lacks right now IMO.

Skrastins too, he's a rock in the D-zone, very tough player...

Zanon is a meh for me though...

And anyway, Gorges is underrated a bit, he has great instincts, defensive awareness, is fearless and tough physically. He takes so much abuse, but never seem hurt...

Vasculio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:35 PM
mariolemieux66

Send a message via Skype™ to mariolemieux66
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan56 View Post
pairing hamrlik with gorges or komisarek may give him an incentive to play a more offensive game

Gorges has 1 goal in 183 NHL games
I think Gorges is a good stay at home dmen that will get smarter with time.
I have not seen any offensive potentiel from him.

mariolemieux66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:39 PM
TheCH*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariolemieux66 View Post

Gorges has 1 goal in 183 NHL games
I think Gorges is a good stay at home dmen that will get smarter with time.
I have not seen any offensive potentiel from him.

LOL he was talking about it would give Hamrlik more incentive for offense!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
I always wanted Salei, I like his game alot, very aggressive and physical, even mean and nasty in his zone, which lacks right now IMO.
Skrastins too, he's a rock in the D-zone, very tough player...

Zanon is a meh for me though...

And anyway, Gorges is underrated a bit, he has great instincts, defensive awareness, is fearless and tough physically. He takes so much abuse, but never seem hurt...
Me too, he never gets injured for a physical dmen and is sign for 3 025 000$ untill 2009-2010.

I say lets ship Weber and Dandenault for Salei and a 4th round

Old
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
mariolemieux66

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
LOL he was talking about it would give Hamrlik more incentive for offense!
My bad!