HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Vancouver and Capitals

Old
11-21-2008, 10:40 AM
SChan*

vCash: 500
Vancouver and Capitals

to vancouver:

Nylander
Fleischmann

to caps:

Ohlund

SChan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:42 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Canucks wouldn't take Nylander for free.

What an abysmal offer.

kmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:43 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post

What an abysmal offer.
But tomas fleischmann is according to caps fans a good young player

Old
11-21-2008, 10:46 AM
MKennedy

Jesus man, are you nuts? If the Canucks sign Nylander I will renounce my love for them.

MKennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCfan View Post
But tomas fleischmann is according to caps fans a good young player
So is Mason Raymond but you don't see me offering him for Robyn Regehr.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:48 AM
Rotang

The Canucks would have no interest in taking on Nylander's contract. He doesn't fit their system and would impede their ability to resign key players this off-season.

I'm actually a big fan of Fleischmann, but this deal isn't even close.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:50 AM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post

What an abysmal offer.
Not as abysmal as you think. Fleisch looks to be a good 2nd line winger.

Still, the trade is pointless. It's not like Ohlund is considering signing with another team next year. As has been said time and again, his kid is receiving specialized care here in Van. He loves the city and will re-sign for a discount.

iceless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:51 AM
SChan*

I am on the impression canucks want to get rid of ohlund so how isnt it close? Nylander isnt terrible like you all believe he is, and Flash is also decent. the deal isnt as bad as you say.

Nylander > Demitra btw

Quote:
He loves the city and will re-sign for a discount.
what? I saw threads about getting rid of ohlund like a couple of days ago.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:54 AM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
I am on the impression canucks want to get rid of ohlund so how isnt it close? Nylander isnt terrible like you all believe he is, and Flash is also decent. the deal isnt as bad as you say.

Nylander > Demitra btw

Nylander is a magician with the puck, but his contract is just brutal.

Pass.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:55 AM
SChan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by torque View Post
Nylander is a magician with the puck, but his contract is just brutal.

Pass.
yes but canucks has the cap space.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:56 AM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
So what? 'Nucks fans can spec all they want, Ohlund is playing out the rest of his career in Van.

Old
11-21-2008, 10:58 AM
iceless
-`ღ´-

Quote:
Sure... but do we really need the offense at the expense of D? Ohlund has been a rock back there and considering the injury-fest to our blueline in recent years, I'd be deadset on moving him at this time.

Our team has no problem scoring goals this year. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Old
11-21-2008, 10:59 AM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
That doesn't mean we have to waste it on overpaid, overaged, washed-up softies.

Old
11-21-2008, 11:08 AM
illogic

Quote:

Nylander > Demitra btw
So far this season Demitra > Nylander. In terms of age and contract, Demitra > Nylander.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Cocoa Crisp

Quote:
For this year. We need to re-up the Sedins and then Luongo and Kesler the next. The last thing we need - especially the the cap likely stalling out or even dropping - is 5M/yr millstone for a 39 year old floater, however skilled he may be.

Cocoa Crisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
tim

Fleischmann is a great young talent who's really coming into his own. Last year he had ten goals, and just by watching him play this season, you can really tell he's changed his game for the better. 7 goals thus far in 19 games - he'll probably level out a bit once teams start catching on, getting 20-30 goals this year, and then hopefully 30+ from then on.

I really don't see the Caps giving him up anytime soon - brought up through Hershey and has a perfect, if not underpaid contract for the Caps' cap situation. He's barely paid above AHL level and has NHL numbers.

tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:17 AM
Rotang

Quote:
Originally Posted by illogic View Post
So far this season Demitra > Nylander. In terms of age and contract, Demitra > Nylander.
Not to mention career, Demitra > Nylander.

Rotang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Foy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellix View Post
Fleischmann is a great young talent who's really coming into his own. Last year he had ten goals, and just by watching him play this season, you can really tell he's changed his game for the better. 7 goals thus far in 19 games - he'll probably level out a bit once teams start catching on, getting 20-30 goals this year, and then hopefully 30+ from then on.

I really don't see the Caps giving him up anytime soon - brought up through Hershey and has a perfect, if not underpaid contract for the Caps' cap situation. He's barely paid above AHL level and has NHL numbers.
If he got us Ohlund, then oh heck yes, Flash would be gone.

There's no way Vancouver gives Ohlund up.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Finkle is Einhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotang View Post
Not to mention career, Demitra > Nylander.
In summation, Demitra > Nylander.

Finkle is Einhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:43 PM
Steveorama

vCash: 50
Come on, a team can never have enough 36 year-old Euro-softies, right?

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:49 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:

Nylander > Demitra btw

what does seeing threads about getting rid of Ohlund have to do with anything... if you go to canucks.com there's a million threads about the stupidest things, doesn't mean anything!

If you plug in the cap numbers, you'll see just how difficult it is to fit in Nylander... and it's not about this year, it's next year. Nylander taking up $5mill in cap space for the next 3 yrs is just brutal - it means the canucks would have to to let the Sedins walk to take on Nylander. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

and I've said this a million times as well - I can't understand why so many fans just can't understand that good teams don't trade soon to be UFAs just because they need to get some asset in return for them. This does not happen in reality!!

The canucks are in the thick of a playoff and division race right now... they are 8-1-2 in their last 11 games and really coming together as a team. What team *EVER* in that kind of a situation deals a key player like Ohlund because they're worried they can't re-sign him?? Ohlund will hit FA if he can't be re-signed, after spending the season with the canucks and being part of a playoff run. And especially considering he's been one of this organization's top playoff performers, really what sense does it make to trade him?

just because a bunch of fans created threads suggesting Ohlund has to be moved because they can't re-sign him, doesn't mean there's a lot of sense to it.

The only way Ohlund is moved this season is if a) the canucks are out of the playoffs, or b) there's a trade that addresses the team's weaknesses this year, while not taking on contracts that hurts them to be able to re-sign their key players next year, and especially the year after when Luongo, and the team's most valuable dman in Mitchell both hit UFA status and will need to be re-signed.

because of that, I wouldn't touch Nylander if he was on waivers right now.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:52 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
i like Ohlund but i dont see Vancouver do this,
i laugh at the hate for nylander... to be honest, the last games were awful with him.

i try:

Flash + Morrison for Ohlund

or

Flash + Chris Bourque for Ohlund

also u can have clark a package like nylander; clark; morrison would be the best salary dump ever.

kmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:16 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
I am on the impression canucks want to get rid of ohlund so how isnt it close?
The fact that Ohlund’s name is popping up in a lot of trade proposals does not mean the Canucks are trying to “get rid” of him. On the contrary, the Canucks would love to keep him and there is no doubt that Ohlund would love to stay in Vancouver (family reasons most importantly). Will signing Ohlund put a strain on the Canucks cap? Yes it will because if they sign him that means 5 Canuck defensemen will be earning around 3.5 million a year and above next year…not an ideal situation. In my opinion, if the Canucks are going to ask a veteran defensemen to waive a NTC then it is going to be Salo not Ohlund. The only way Ohlund leaves the Canucks is through unrestricted free agency and he only does that if the Canuck tender him a ridiculous low-ball offer (i.e. Morrison) or no offer at all.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by knuckered View Post
The fact that Ohlund’s name is popping up in a lot of trade proposals does not mean the Canucks are trying to “get rid” of him. On the contrary, the Canucks would love to keep him and there is no doubt that Ohlund would love to stay in Vancouver (family reasons most importantly). Will signing Ohlund put a strain on the Canucks cap? Yes it will because if they sign him that means 5 Canuck defensemen will be earning around 3.5 million a year and above next year…not an ideal situation. In my opinion, if the Canucks are going to ask a veteran defensemen to waive a NTC then it is going to be Salo not Ohlund. The only way Ohlund leaves the Canucks is through unrestricted free agency and he only does that if the Canuck tender him a ridiculous low-ball offer (i.e. Morrison) or no offer at all.
I've gone over the numbers many times and posted it on the canucks board... re-signing Ohlund at anything near $3.5mill will not hurt the canucks cap situation. There is no problem fitting in 5 $3.5mill dman on the team because there is no one that earns more than that... when you have a $6-7mill dman on the team, than it's difficult to have that kind of depth behind him, but on a team where teh highest paid dman is Bieksa at $3.75mill, there's no problem carrying 5 guys that make that much money.

and again, I've gone through the numbers and posted them on the canucks board... the canucks have one of the lower cap hits to their defense in the league. IIRC, they are currently ranked 19th in the league in cap hit to their defense... if you include Edler's increase for next season, and all other defenses around the league stay status-quo, without any of their players getting a raise, the canucks defense - with 5 $3.5mill guys on it - jumps to just 12th in the league... of course that's keeping Ohlund at his $3.5mill salary.

Even if you include goaltending - since Luongo is one of the highest paid goalies in the league, currently the team sits at 13th in the NHL in costs for both goaltending and defense... if you add Edler's increase without any other changes, it goes up to 7th in the league - which no doubt will be much lower realistically as raises will be given around the league as well.

basically the numbers show that having 5 $3.5mill dmen does not hurt the cap situation at all... in fact it just gives the team more depth with 5 quality guys they can dress back there.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 01:51 PM
jabberhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
basically the numbers show that having 5 $3.5mill dmen does not hurt the cap situation at all... in fact it just gives the team more depth with 5 quality guys they can dress back there.
I completely agree and would love to see Ohlund resigned and the Canucks defensive core intact next year. I was simply trying to point out the reason why some fans are suggesting Ohlund should / must be let go. The bottom line is that Nylander’s contract would be far more of a strain on the Canucks’ cap situation then resigning Ohlund and personally, I would rather have Ohlund.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote