HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skating question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-21-2008, 11:27 AM
  #1
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Skating question

So how good should I be at skating before I start some of the stick times / practice sessions at the local ice rink?

I started skating last year and I can go and stop well enough that I am under control. Im still working on crossovers and skating backwards but Im really itching to start playing.

I've been playing dek and street for a few years now.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:09 PM
  #2
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
So how good should I be at skating before I start some of the stick times / practice sessions at the local ice rink?

I started skating last year and I can go and stop well enough that I am under control. Im still working on crossovers and skating backwards but Im really itching to start playing.

I've been playing dek and street for a few years now.
Before that IMO.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:16 PM
  #3
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив
 
Karl with a C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 15,715
vCash: 500
As long as you can avoid colliding with other people, you're fine.

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 12:39 PM
  #4
noobman
Registered User
 
noobman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperArchetype View Post
As long as you can avoid colliding with other people, you're fine.
Exactly.

You'll find that skating with and without the puck are two entirely different things, so you might as well get started ASAP.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 03:24 PM
  #5
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Alright, I just need to get a helmet and shoulder pads and I can start playing

Thanks guys, I was thinking I should be a great skater before trying, I didnt want to make a fool out of myself, which I probably still would

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 05:37 PM
  #6
nullterm
Registered User
 
nullterm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,540
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
Alright, I just need to get a helmet and shoulder pads and I can start playing

Thanks guys, I was thinking I should be a great skater before trying, I didnt want to make a fool out of myself, which I probably still would
Speaking from experience, once you got your basic skating going then best way to improve is by playing.

I started skating last Nov, took a power skating course to know what the fundamentals are, and that was worth it's weight in gold. If you can find something then I'd highly recommend taking a course.

But to be able to get better at playing in a game, you just have to play. And listen to the more experienced players' advice. Go to drop ins where people are there to just have fun or find a beginner's group that gets together to play once a week.

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:23 AM
  #7
LilWinger11
 
LilWinger11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 5,179
vCash: 500
If you go and feel really out of place, try a different rink or going at a different time. When I was just starting out I found a rink with open hockey at 7am on Sunday (I know) but it was great because it was mostly dads and their mini-Mites/Mites.

LilWinger11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:35 AM
  #8
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilWinger11 View Post
If you go and feel really out of place, try a different rink or going at a different time. When I was just starting out I found a rink with open hockey at 7am on Sunday (I know) but it was great because it was mostly dads and their mini-Mites/Mites.
It looks like I might have to find another rink, the one I usually skates at only has Stick time for under 15, they dont offer practice for adults, next time I drop by I will talk with them and see if there is something Im not seeing on their site.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 07:11 PM
  #9
Headcoach
Registered User
 
Headcoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 746
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
It looks like I might have to find another rink, the one I usually skates at only has Stick time for under 15, they dont offer practice for adults, next time I drop by I will talk with them and see if there is something Im not seeing on their site.

How about volunteering with your local youth group as an assistant for someone to help push cones around. That's how I got started. Plus, the skating is free and the more teams you help, the more ice time you will get. Then you can work on all that stuff at the same time.

Head coach

Headcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-30-2008, 04:28 PM
  #10
87vert
 
87vert's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Headcoach View Post
How about volunteering with your local youth group as an assistant for someone to help push cones around. That's how I got started. Plus, the skating is free and the more teams you help, the more ice time you will get. Then you can work on all that stuff at the same time.

Head coach
Thats a great idea but Im not sure how I would go about doing that. Should I talk to the rink about that or would I have to find a coach for the team and talk directly with them.

87vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:05 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.