Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morrow out 6 months. Ouch.

Old
11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Alistar

vCash: 500
what a terrible season. Nothing has gone right at all, and there's almost no chance of turning this around

I guess the good news is that Dallas could very easily be a strong team again next season. We may be losing Modano, Lehtien, and Zubov but we have some strong prospects coming up through the system and alot of cap room to work with

even without Morrow Dallas has the ability to beat most teams in the league if they try hard.. we probably wont make the playoffs but there's no reason we have to play the same unwatchable hockey we've seen for the first 17 games.

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 07:49 PM
beardedgraf

put morrow in a wheelchair and stick him in goal

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 09:04 PM
SpinTheBlackCircle
Global Moderator
boots and pants

Sorry for this loss, he's so special.

11-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Lady Rhian
St. McQuaid he aint

God Speed recovery to Morrow. I've had both a torn ACL and MCL on the same knee, and is it ever painful. My knee still tweaks every so often. I feel for him, poor guy.

Lady Rhian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 09:23 PM
sgupca

you guys still have a decent team. Move Brunnstrom to the top LW spot, give him a chance and he'll shine. It's a perfect time to let your younger guys prove themselves.

You have a good team and should still sneak into the playoffs (if Turco could ever stop a puck)

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:03 PM
Sony Eriksson*

I know from reading some blogs regarding Montreal that Higgins and one if not both the Kostitsyn's could possibly be had.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:17 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
I know from reading some blogs regarding Montreal that Higgins and one if not both the Kostitsyn's could possibly be had.
Dallas has Morrow's cap space that it could fill but what's the point of picking up Higgins or the Kostitsyns' when Marty can't stop a beach ball at this point. This team isn't bad if it could play like a team. Adding more parts and hoping it works isn't an ideal situation. Besides what would Dallas have to give Montreal for any of them? Benn? Fistric? Vishnevski? Hell no. Ride it out.

Play the young guys and hope for a top five draft pick to build the future around when this team is healthy and can fill holes with real cap space once Lehtinen's, Zubov's and Modano's cap hits are gone. Besides all three are left shot, left wings. That's the absolute last thing this team needs. Also what about adding another contract in a year when the salary cap may be decreasing next season. That's bad business. We need to trade odd for younger but Montreal is in a playoff chase, who are they going to want? Avery? Doubtful. Robidas, sure but we would need a defenseman coming back so I doubt it.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:24 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadmata View Post
On the other side of it for the Tippett fans: If Hull/Jack were looking at getting rid of Tippett as a wake-up call to the team, I think Morrow may have very well saved him his job.
Good call, I was thinking the same thing. Built-in excuse.

One more thing to keep in mind is that Morrow was out for an extended period just 2 years ago, along with Modano, and that's when the Stars played some of their best hockey, fielding a team of mostly no-names who are out of the league now. So who knows.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
Dallas has Morrow's cap space that it could fill but what's the point of picking up Higgins or the Kostitsyns' when Marty can't stop a beach ball at this point. This team isn't bad if it could play like a team. Adding more parts and hoping it works isn't an ideal situation. Besides what would Dallas have to give Montreal for any of them? Benn? Fistric? Vishnevski? Hell no. Ride it out.

Play the young guys and hope for a top five draft pick to build the future around when this team is healthy and can fill holes with real cap space once Lehtinen's, Zubov's and Modano's cap hits are gone. Besides all three are left shot, left wings. That's the absolute last thing this team needs. Also what about adding another contract in a year when the salary cap may be decreasing next season. That's bad business. We need to trade odd for younger but Montreal is in a playoff chase, who are they going to want? Avery? Doubtful. Robidas, sure but we would need a defenseman coming back so I doubt it.
Janik is a serviceable D man if we were to trade Robidas or lets say Daley. Dallas is not going to allow $4 mil in cap space to sit open knowing they have a really big hole to fill.

What about Dubinsky? They may not be able to resign him with the amount of money they have tied up in Drury, Gomez, Redden, Lundqvist, Rozsival and soon to be making the big bucks Zherdev.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 10:34 PM
BigG44

If I was GM for a day:

I don't even know if they still are trying to dump him, but I'd try and get Kunble from Phili. If Dallas is going to have a right shot, veteran other than Lehtinen, I'd rather it be Knuble than Parrish.

Knuble has played well for them, so I doubt he's available, but it would be a good move.

Neal-Ribeiro-Knuble (Parrish) --> Neal and Knuble are solid defensively. Even Ribeiro has shown major improvement in that aspect. Offensively, why not replace Morrow with his own mini-me.

Avery-Richards-Eriksson --> Richards and Eriksson work well together. Avery hasn't looked bad, but at some point he's going to click with someone. I hope it's Richards.

Brunnstrom-Modano-Lehtinen(Wilson/Sawada) --> They've got to freakin' play Brunnstrom. If Tippett doesn't feel safe with him skating on a line with Mo and Jere, he never will. Sawada should be up at some point with Lehtinen out. He is playing well defensively, and Modano hasn't looked better than when he was playing with 2 young wingers.

Lundqvist-Ott-Petersen (Barch) --> Barch isn't going anywhere . Accroding to Heika, Tippett and the Stars want an enforcer to back up Avery and Ott's shananigans.

Daley-Robidas
Grossman-Zubov
Janik-Niskanen
Sydor

Stephan (Against Anaheim. Play him until as long as winning/playing good hockey.)
Turco (Reflection time. He's still Goalie Numero Uno in Dallas)

#1 PP
Neal-Ribeiro-Kunble(Eriksson)
Zubov-Richards

#2 PP
Brunnstrom-Modano-Lehtinen
(Robidas and Niskanen 50/50)-Richards

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:21 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
If you're going for reflection time, you have to get Niskanen to sit for a few games.

And I continue to wonder with Brunnstrom what's going on that we don't know about (because as much as we feel entitled to know everything, they will never tell us). There are all sorts of veiled references and off benchings that point to something more.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:23 PM
CBGB

Brett Hull is not a patient man - he'll make a knee jerk trade and/or fire Tippet

Unless Turco steps up and starts to put together a very large winning streak, the Stars are going to have a very long season.

CBGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-21-2008, 11:27 PM
BigG44

Couple things from Heika:

Quote:
Jackson said the team is studying salary cap implications and owner Tom Hicks' budget to determine the possibility of a trade.
That could be a problem. Hicks didn't even want to spend to the cap. With earlier injuries to Zubov, Lehtinen, and Lunqvist Dallas already had a payroll pushing $57 million. Morrow's injury could push them to almost $58 million at the very least.

Quote:
There is a real chance the Stars simply have to replace Morrow with players within the system. Among the minor league forwards who have played well: RW Chris Conner in Peoria (nine goals, five assists in 15 games), LW John Lammers in Houston (five goals, five assists in 14 games) and RW Ray Sawada in Manitoba (no goals, six assists in 15 games).
The Chris Conner Chronicles ran out of steam last year. Please God spare me.

Quote:
The Stars are within dollars of the daily salary cap level the NHL allows, but they can file for a long-term injury reserve exception for Morrow's $4.1 million salary.
This provides further evidence of how IB said LTIR is calculated, and also show that the Stars did NOT need to waive Crombeen for cap or roster purposes. Morrow is not on LTIR yet.

Old
11-21-2008, 11:32 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
If you're going for reflection time, you have to get Niskanen to sit for a few games.

And I continue to wonder with Brunnstrom what's going on that we don't know about (because as much as we feel entitled to know everything, they will never tell us). There are all sorts of veiled references and off benchings that point to something more.
Niskanen played well with Janik, more so than Zubov or Sydor. If they are going to put the best possible team on the ice, Janik should be included. Plus, Heika said they are going to push Niskanen in the lineup like Eriksson last year.

I don't think there is anything hidden about Brunnstrom. I posted it somewhere, but Tippett pretty much detailed why Brunnstrom is benched while he was talking about Neal.

Tippett said he doesn't care if young players score goals. They have to play within the system of the team. Even if it wasn't meant to be, that sounds like a knock on Brunnstrom to me.

Old
11-21-2008, 11:46 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Niskanen played well with Janik, more so than Zubov or Sydor. If they are going to put the best possible team on the ice, Janik should be included. Plus, Heika said they are going to push Niskanen in the lineup like Eriksson last year.

I don't think there is anything hidden about Brunnstrom. I posted it somewhere, but Tippett pretty much detailed why Brunnstrom is benched while he was talking about Neal.

Tippett said he doesn't care if young players score goals. They have to play within the system of the team. Even if it wasn't meant to be, that sounds like a knock on Brunnstrom to me.
Well there's a disconnect here somewhere, because Brunnstrom is not the sole reason for our defensive woes. Jackson's going to have to put his foot down, just like he did last year with Eriksson, because the kid's not going to learn on the bench while freaking Barch and Ott get his shifts.

As for a trade who are they going to bring in that will improve things? Spending money just to spend to the cap won't make this a great team, as evidenced by it's play so far this season. Morrow's money is a sunk cost, that Hicks and company will have to eat. Adding more to that pie won't magically move us to a top eight playoff spot.

Play the kids. Find a new identity/system that works for this personnel group. Move what bad contracts, UFAs and whoever isn't in the long term plans and hope you can salvage something going forward.

Oh and please for the love of God no Connor. I'd rather see Sawada or Lammers than that spare.

Old
11-21-2008, 11:58 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Well there's a disconnect here somewhere, because Brunnstrom is not the sole reason for our defensive woes. Jackson's going to have to put his foot down, just like he did last year with Eriksson, because the kid's not going to learn on the bench while freaking Barch and Ott get his shifts.

As for a trade who are they going to bring in that will improve things? Spending money just to spend to the cap won't make this a great team, as evidenced by it's play so far this season. Morrow's money is a sunk cost, that Hicks and company will have to eat. Adding more to that pie won't magically move us to a top eight playoff spot.

Play the kids. Find a new identity/system that works for this personnel group. Move what bad contracts, UFAs and whoever isn't in the long term plans and hope you can salvage something going forward.

Oh and please for the love of God no Connor. I'd rather see Sawada or Lammers than that spare.
How was that direct at me? I didn't disagree with a single thing you said.

Old
11-22-2008, 12:27 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
How was that direct at me? I didn't disagree with a single thing you said.
It wasn't a disagreement with you. I was just adding to your point about Brunnstrom and then I was off ranting. Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything.

Old
11-22-2008, 01:01 AM
elsonico

wow, that is horrible news! I feel for you guys...

elsonico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:12 AM
BigG44

Quote:
It wasn't a disagreement with you. I was just adding to your point about Brunnstrom and then I was off ranting. Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything.
No problem. I get all chubbed up over Brunnstrom too .....

Old
11-22-2008, 01:14 AM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
Aren't Morrow and Turco pretty close? I wouldn't think this would help Turco's already flustered confidence in his squad having his best friend and captain injured for the remainder of the season.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 01:18 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by UBCsalmonslayer View Post
Aren't Morrow and Turco pretty close? I wouldn't think this would help Turco's already flustered confidence in his squad having his best friend and captain injured for the remainder of the season.
They're very close.

As far as how this effects him .... it's not like it can get any worse.

I think Turco will be fine though. I just can't believe that the wheels have fallen off. Not yet at least.

Old
11-22-2008, 03:30 AM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Biggie - I didn't get to watch the Chicago game, so I have no idea about Niskanen and Janik. But if people aren't going to forgive other players several bad games because of one solid one, Niskanen shouldn't fall in that category either. If, however, they subscribe to the "as good as your last game" theory, then that's cool.

(Directed at everyone) Brunnstrom doesn't have "his shifts." The Stars have shown they're pretty solid about developing young players in a variety of roles the past couple seasons. If he's not playing, there's a reason why. With all the other permutations they've tried to fix this team, you have to assume he'd have been played more if they thought it would help.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 04:59 AM
beardedgraf

does anyone know if morrow has spoke with the media or made any comments about his injury yet?

also, i just noticed that morrow's wrist injury a couple years ago happened in a game against the blackhawks. i thought that was wierd

Last edited by beardedgraf: 11-22-2008 at 05:32 AM.
beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:24 AM
HABSFAN14

the stars should just be bad now to get a chance at tavares.They were not going to make the playoff regardless even if morrow was healthy the way turco is playing

HABSFAN14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:42 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
Biggie - I didn't get to watch the Chicago game, so I have no idea about Niskanen and Janik. But if people aren't going to forgive other players several bad games because of one solid one, Niskanen shouldn't fall in that category either. If, however, they subscribe to the "as good as your last game" theory, then that's cool.

(Directed at everyone) Brunnstrom doesn't have "his shifts." The Stars have shown they're pretty solid about developing young players in a variety of roles the past couple seasons. If he's not playing, there's a reason why. With all the other permutations they've tried to fix this team, you have to assume he'd have been played more if they thought it would help.
I have a feeling you were a big fan of Doug Armstrong. I've never seen someone so opposed to young players.