Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Morrow out 6 months. Ouch.

Old
11-22-2008, 12:59 PM
hockey23

vCash: 500
To all Dallas fans from an avid Ducks fan:
Sucks that you guys lost Morrow. He is a great player and stellar captain. I find myself hating him everytime you guys play us cause he always seems to be killing us and then I wish we had him. Best of luck the rest of the way.

hockey23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
I'm gonna go cry and go root for the Leafs now

I'm all for playing younger players. Because one day, that experience that the older guys have soaked up will be gone and we'll be left with some rookies and guys who we put in to play with the older folks.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I have a feeling you were a big fan of Doug Armstrong. I've never seen someone so opposed to young players.
I'm not opposed to young players at all. I'm opposed to people grading on a sliding scale for young players they like (i.e., Niskanen doesn't suck cause he's young and going to get better while Norstrom was playing much better last year and was roundly ripped).

I'm also opposed to the... hmm... tunnel vision that goes on with young players, particularly on these boards. Young does not mean good and it does not mean will be good if they get enough playing time. The Stars had some reasonably high draft picks in the mid-1990s. They traded the gem (Iginla) in a trade that was good for everyone involved and then got a lot of spares.

My theory is treat your young players like you would anyone else. If Brunnstrom is the forward who is giving you the most reason to bench him, bench him. It's it's Ott, like it was early last season, then it's Ott. They don't get a "they're young and will be great if you just played them 25 minutes a game with Ribeiro!" exception. They have to earn their ice time in practice, preseason and with the ice time they get, just like everyone else.

As for Armstrong, not a fan of his player development style or tendency to sign guys for the sake of the name rather than how they would fit in the system. But in retrospect, he made some decent personnel moves and oversaw some decent drafts. Nothing spectacular, but nothing to be vilified for either.

Last edited by Kritter471: 11-22-2008 at 03:22 PM.
Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
I'm not opposed to young players at all. I'm opposed to people grading on a sliding scale for young players they like (i.e., Niskanen doesn't suck cause he's young and going to get better while Norstrom was playing much better last year and was roundly ripped).
I think Niskanen was a far superior player to Norstrom last year. This whole "the Stars miss Norstrom so much! That's why they're losing!" thing is nothing but extreme revisionist history. Norstrom only played decent in the playoffs, he sucked most of the regular season.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:51 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
I think Niskanen was a far superior player to Norstrom last year. This whole "the Stars miss Norstrom so much! That's why they're losing!" thing is nothing but extreme revisionist history. Norstrom only played decent in the playoffs, he sucked most of the regular season.
What are you doing?

You can't question veterans' play.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:58 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post

I'm also opposed to the... hmm... tunnel vision that goes on with young players, particularly on these boards. Young does not mean good and it does not mean will be good if they get enough playing time. The Stars had some reasonably high draft picks in the mid-1990s. They traded the gem (Iginla) in a trade that was good for everyone involved and then got a lot of spares.

My theory is treat your young players like you would anyone else. If Brunnstrom is the forward who is giving you the most reason to bench him, bench him. It's it's Ott, like it was early last season, then it's Ott. They don't get a "they're young and will be great if you just played them 25 minutes a game with Ribeiro!" exception. They have to earn their ice time in practice, preseason and with the ice time they get, just like everyone else.

As for Armstrong, not a fan of his player development style or tendency to sign guys for the sake of the name rather than how they would fit in the system. But in retrospect, he made some decent personnel moves and oversaw some decent drafts. Nothing spectacular, but nothing to be vilified for either.
Kind of hard for players to prove anything when they're getting less than 10 minutes a game. I'd like to see Brunnstrom and Neal in and out of the top 6 all year, just to see who they click with, and if any chemistry develops, lock them in there.

Modo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:37 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Kind of hard for players to prove anything when they're getting less than 10 minutes a game. I'd like to see Brunnstrom and Neal in and out of the top 6 all year, just to see who they click with, and if any chemistry develops, lock them in there.
The problem with that is with Tippett behind the bench that will never happen.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:40 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
The problem with that is with Tippett behind the bench that will never happen.
Neal played 17:30 minutes and Brunnstrom 10:30 minutes.

Neal played in overtime and the last 2 minutes of the game after Brunnstrom was already benched.

I'd like to see Brunnstrom get some more time, but tonight was a nice step in the right direction.

Old
11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Neal played 17:30 minutes and Brunnstrom 10:30 minutes.

Neal played in overtime and the last 2 minutes of the game after Brunnstrom was already benched.

I'd like to see Brunnstrom get some more time, but tonight was a nice step in the right direction.
I hope it continues but i would not count on it.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM
aligator

Can anyone advise why Morrow hasn't been put on the IR yet? Would it not help the cap situation if he went on thr long term IR?

aligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:20 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligator View Post
Can anyone advise why Morrow hasn't been put on the IR yet? Would it not help the cap situation if he went on thr long term IR?
According to DallasStars.com, Morrow is at least on IR. He may already be on LTIR. Actually, if he isn't, Dallas is over the daily cap with Conner up, so I assume it's already done.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:21 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by aligator View Post
I think he has to be injured for a time frame before he can be put on LTIR...I may be wrong though.

Old
11-25-2008, 01:26 PM
BigG44

Quote:
I think he has to be injured for a time frame before he can be put on LTIR...I may be wrong though.
No.

If the team doctor believes the player is injured long enough to reach the requirements the league will allow it. If the league doesn't agree with doctor, they can challenge him.

You just have to look at Zubov on LTIR. Neal and Fistric could not have been on the team if Zubov was placed on LTIR at the beginning of the year, well before he was "eligible".

Old
11-25-2008, 05:14 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
I thought he had already been put on LTIR?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote