HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(#23): 11/22/2008 New York Rangers @ Ottawa Senators 3pm MSG (HD)

Old
11-22-2008, 06:03 PM
Bury Your Head

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Agitators don't respond to agitators. They're weak players with big mouths and no action to back them up. They target people who would never respond in an effort to throw the opponent of it's games if it's stupid enough to allow them to.

If the Ranger showed up at all, Ruutu's clown act wouldn't have been game deciding a factor.
Uh, Tucker/Avery anyone? Ruutu/Avery? But I digress.

When I said "respond to the likes of Ruutu" I meant that we don't have anyone that can agitate anymore. Personally, I think that was a HUGE part of our success last year. Ruutu goes around, starting crap with our players, getting us off of our game, and we can't respond. At all. Maybe Avery (or any agitator) would cancel him out and we'd have a totally different game. And, you said "If the Rangers showed up at all, Ruutu's clown act wouldn't have been a game deciding factor". In that case, if our PP was better, we would score more goals. What's your point there? We didn't show up. We haven't shown up in a while.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:06 PM
Bury Your Head

I'm not trying to make this about Sean Avery. I'm trying to make this about the team's total LACK of energy, or any type of urgency on most nights. An agitator helps to energize a team, perhaps we could use someone like that to help us out.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
I Eat Crow
Fear The Mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
at this point it might be better if we don't make the playoffs. The team needs a overhaul, staff (not renney), and players.

something needs to happen, but I really don't know what.
I'd have no problem drafting a potential franchise forward with a top 10 pick

I Eat Crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by egelband View Post
i'm the first to jump on the refs but in todays case - despite a horrible missed call - the reffing wasn't the problem. the real problem, in my eyes, is that the rangers are too lazy in the neutral zone on the rush. only toward the end of the game did they finally start skating through sticks and arms. and that wasn't until zherdev did it and they scored. that power rush showed the rest of the team what to do. then there was some pressure on the sens. that last goal by foligno was a fluke and really broke the rangers back.
I really think that spark in the 3rd was just as much a result of Ottawa backing off their aggressive forecheck as it was the Rangers doing anything positive. A couple of minutes after the Naslund goal Ottawa went back to the forecheck they had been using all game and the Rangers got stifled again.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Clearly, Renney is not at fault here.

CLEARLY!

This is ALL the players!

Please, explain to me how it's Renney's fault that his team isn't completing passes, getting the puck out of their own end, being suckered into taking bad penalties and not forechecking.

Clearly he needs to scream at them more, because that 2 minute screaming session did this team a world of good.. or did it do a world of good for Ottawa, I can't remember.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:13 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I'm not trying to make this about Sean Avery. I'm trying to make this about the team's total LACK of energy, or any type of urgency on most nights. An agitator helps to energize a team, perhaps we could use someone like that to help us out.
BRING BACK JAMTIN

would've been fun watching him and Ruutu go at it. Mumbling broken english to eachother.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:15 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers3018 View Post
at this point it might be better if we don't make the playoffs. The team needs a overhaul, staff (not renney), and players.

something needs to happen, but I really don't know what.
The Rangers have won 2 out of every 3 games they played this season.

Gomer will be back during the week.

Panic button may eventually need to be hit. But not now.

On the other hand this team is lost right now and this anemic offense is becoming a grave concern.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that this team needs a sniper and down the road may have to part with "current untouchables" to get one.

HAPPY HOUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Please, explain to me how it's Renney's fault that his team isn't completing passes, getting the puck out of their own end, being suckered into taking bad penalties and not forechecking.

Clearly he needs to scream at them more, because that 2 minute screaming session did this team a world of good.. or did it do a world of good for Ottawa, I can't remember.
Explain to me why, AGAIN, we come out not caring and *****footing around in the 1st period again. This has happened nearly every ****ing game this year.

Explain to me why this team only starts to try when they are down a goal. Once again -- coaching.

That is pure and simple a coach's job. Motivate your ****ing players, Renney.

You Renney apologists should have ZERO to say after this game, as it was a coaching nightmare.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:17 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
Personally, I think that was a HUGE part of our success last year.
...except when it mattered, and simply ignoring the agitator basically defeated the Rangers strategy. The saddest part of this loss is how they've forgotten that, especially Mara.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:21 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Quote:

Tortarella screamed for the entire season last year and you see where that got the Lightning.

Old
11-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Shake and Bake

Every ****ing first period is a disaster. no god damn effort

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

On the bright side, did anyone else think that Staal looked like an absolute BEAST tonight? Other than that bad giveaway to Alfredsson, Staal and Mara really did a pretty good job against a highly talented line.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:24 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Explain to me why, AGAIN, we come out not caring and *****footing around in the 1st period again. This has happened nearly every ****ing game this year.

Explain to me why this team only starts to try when they are down a goal. Once again -- coaching.

That is pure and simple a coach's job. Motivate your ****ing players, Renney.

You Renney apologists should have ZERO to say after this game, as it was a coaching nightmare.
Way to not answer anything I asked you.

You're right, it is a coaching nightmare. If I were Renney I'd be having nightmares about this team's inability to make simply hockey plays as well.

Old
11-22-2008, 06:27 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Way to not answer anything I asked you.

You're right, it is a coaching nightmare. If I were Renney I'd be having nightmares about this team's inability to make simply hockey plays as well.
Then MAYBE he should, I don't know, cover that in PRACTICE.

This team looks like it doesn't even practice, for God's sake.

I can simply not fathom how you Renney apologists continue to only blame the players. Yes, some ineptitude is theirs, but most of it falls on the coach.

Old
11-22-2008, 06:28 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAPPY HOUR View Post
Tortarella screamed for the entire season last year and you see where that got the Lightning.
Exactly.

Everyone is complaining "It's Renney's system that's driving us into the ground!" when in reality, it's the fact that this team can't even generate offense when the other team is SHORT HANDED. These problems are not a product of the system, they're a product of chemistry and talent.

Old
11-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Then MAYBE he should, I don't know, cover that in PRACTICE.

This team looks like it doesn't even practice, for God's sake.

I can simply not fathom how you Renney apologists continue to only blame the players. Yes, some ineptitude is theirs, but most of it falls on the coach.
Yeah, because I'm sure the coaching staff is completely ignoring all of the problems during practice.

Problems tonight:
- Complete lack of a forecheck
- God awful passing
- Turn-overs in the defensive zone
- Blown assignments on defense
- Flat-footed and generally lazy play
- Taking bone-headed penalties and letting Ruutu get in their heads

Explain to me how those are Renney's fault. Do you think he's so completely inept that he actually doesn't address these things during practices or between periods?

Us "Renney apologists" at least understand that the coach does not play the game. You can coach and teach the players until your brain explodes, but if the team can't go out onto the ice and actually implement those teachings during a game, you have a much bigger problem than coaching. If your team can't adapt on it's own, you're completely screwed.

Old
11-22-2008, 06:49 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Just put Rissmiller in the lineup and all this nonsense will just go away......

Old
11-22-2008, 06:58 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Yeah, because I'm sure the coaching staff is completely ignoring all of the problems during practice.

Problems tonight:
- Complete lack of a forecheck
- God awful passing
- Turn-overs in the defensive zone
- Blown assignments on defense
- Flat-footed and generally lazy play
- Taking bone-headed penalties and letting Ruutu get in their heads

Explain to me how those are Renney's fault. Do you think he's so completely inept that he actually doesn't address these things during practices or between periods?

Us "Renney apologists" at least understand that the coach does not play the game. You can coach and teach the players until your brain explodes, but if the team can't go out onto the ice and actually implement those teachings during a game, you have a much bigger problem than coaching. If your team can't adapt on it's own, you're completely screwed.
If these problems aren't being corrected, how can a lot of the blame not be lead on Renney?

A few games, fine. But this has gone on the whole season so far.

How you can sit there and place all the blame on the players is ****ing astounding.

And if you don't think the lazy, flat footed play is his fault, than I don't know what else to say. That's 100% coaching, right there.

Old
11-22-2008, 07:05 PM
SaveByLundqvist

maybe this team needs a new professor...learn something new

SaveByLundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass Lee View Post
Avery had 6 fights last year.
Ruutu had 5.
Keep telling yourself that.

Ruutu had 1 fight last year.( http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2009 )
Avery had 6 fights last year, and has fought twice already this season. ( http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2009 )

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:36 PM
AJ1982

Send a message via AIM to AJ1982
Quote:
The coach runs the show, the coach has to know how to pull the right strings to get the team going and get the team to do the right things.

While I don't think you can blame everything on the coach, I also don't understand how anyone can fail to recognize that a coach's job is to get the tactics right, get the team to buy into the strategy and instill discipline. I mean, a coach's job is not just to teach, that's just one aspect of his job.

AJ1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:39 PM
SML

The two guys I seriously have the most problem with lately are Roszival and Redden. I think they are responsible for alot of problems. They don't shoot on the pp, they love the D to D pass, which they make when it is very ill advised. The second part of the problem is that they are two of the slowest straight line skaters I have ever seen. Granted, I may only be noticing this because it seems to happen against quick PK players, but both of them are getting beat out in footraces all the time. Oh, and they both wilt like the lettuce on a big mac whenever there is any hint of a forecheck. I would dump Roszi for anything close to a reasonable offer. He makes too much for what he's providing, which right now is not much at all. It's bad enough we're paying Redden to underachieve, we can't pay Roszi too. Girardi is light years ahead of both of them right now.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:44 PM
HAPPY HOUR

Wonder what the Rangers all time record is in Ottawa. Can't be good.

Old
SilverSeven

This thread is the reason I bought a Ruutu jersey today.

Valliquette (sp?) is a pretty solid goalie. The Winchester goal was weak, but Redden really blew that one too.

I wouldnt hang on to the "but we are #1" thing for long. We kept saying that until January of last year.

Your team has all the right pieces.

SilverSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Kamina
Amok

Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
Keep telling yourself that.

Ruutu had 1 fight last year.( http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2009 )
Avery had 6 fights last year, and has fought twice already this season. ( http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2009 )
Sorry, GSH, but you fail.
http://www.hockeyfights.com/players/...htcard/reg2008

Kamina is offline   Reply With Quote