HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers need to get trading...

Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2004, 03:44 PM
Charge_Seven

vCash: 500
Rangers need to get trading...

A previous post mentioned NYs drafting position possibilities. I'd say that #5 is probable as it stands, however, we all know that the Rangers have enough talent to even screw that up, and end up drafting tenth by winning a few more games. NYR need to move their guys quick, guys like Kovalev who have decently large value should be moved, and only to teams that are in the lower area of the playoffs, or on the verge of making the playoffs. NYR should be asking for first round picks in deals, not established prospects, as then NYR can choose the path they want with said picks. If my understanding is correct, then Kovalev, Nedved, and Leetch are all ossible guys on the move, and Lindros is doable too, why not try trades such as (I'm gonna leave TO out, because I don't want to be called a homer for thse offers...lol):

To Buffalo: Alexei Kovalev (plus remainder of contract paid)
To NYR: BUF 1st 2004, and Dan Paille

Buffalo still has playoff hopes, although they're fading quickly, so if anyone wants to move guys there, the quicker the better.

To NJ: Brian Leetch
To NYR: NJ 1st 2004, Anton Kadeykin

Do it before Rafalski's or Steven's future is official.

To NYI: Petr Nedved
To NYR: NYI 1st 2004

How long ago did they last make a trade? I'm not too sure of Nedveds contract, but I think with Yashin out the Isles may be interested in the services of Nedved.

IF they managed to pull off these moves, they may fall to 4th, or even 3rd in the draft, as well as potentially have the 13th, 18th, 21st OV picks to make the best of. Maybe I'm entirely crazy to think you could get those type of payoffs for those players, but I don't see why not. You'd also pick up Dan Paille, a great young guy with tons of skill, and the type of leadership/class that the Rangers are needing for the future. Kadeykin is a good looking defencesive prospect, to go along with Fedor Tjutin.

Old
03-01-2004, 03:50 PM
Smash255

Send a message via AIM to Smash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack
A previous post mentioned NYs drafting position possibilities. I'd say that #5 is probable as it stands, however, we all know that the Rangers have enough talent to even screw that up, and end up drafting tenth by winning a few more games. NYR need to move their guys quick, guys like Kovalev who have decently large value should be moved, and only to teams that are in the lower area of the playoffs, or on the verge of making the playoffs. NYR should be asking for first round picks in deals, not established prospects, as then NYR can choose the path they want with said picks. If my understanding is correct, then Kovalev, Nedved, and Leetch are all ossible guys on the move, and Lindros is doable too, why not try trades such as (I'm gonna leave TO out, because I don't want to be called a homer for thse offers...lol):

Buffalo still has playoff hopes, although they're fading quickly, so if anyone wants to move guys there, the quicker the better.

How long ago did they last make a trade? I'm not too sure of Nedveds contract, but I think with Yashin out the Isles may be interested in the services of Nedved.

IF they managed to pull off these moves, they may fall to 4th, or even 3rd in the draft, as well as potentially have the 13th, 18th, 21st OV picks to make the best of. Maybe I'm entirely crazy to think you could get those type of payoffs for those players, but I don't see why not. You'd also pick up Dan Paille, a great young guy with tons of skill, and the type of leadership/class that the Rangers are needing for the future. Kadeykin is a good looking defencesive prospect, to go along with Fedor Tjutin.

1. We don't want nedved

2. Yashin is going to be back shortly

Old
03-01-2004, 04:01 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregStack

#1- I don't think Buffalo would do that trade since they're on the outside looking in by a fair amount of points.

#2- NJ's first rounder isn't worth trading Leetch to the Devils, nor is Kadeykin, nor are they combined.

#3- I don't know when the last time the Islanders and Rangers made a trade, but I bet it was a long time ago and let's keep it as that. No way in hell do I want to help the Islanders in any way become a better team both for the playoffs or seasons to come.

If we trade these guy's, trade them as far away as possible

Old
03-01-2004, 04:06 PM
Fletch

On #1...

doubt Buffalo's the destination for Kovalev. My guess he ends up on a team already in the playoffs as a boost to that team, as opposed to a boost to a team trying to make the playoffs.

on #2...if that's the return Leetch would get, then it's prudent to keep him on the Rangers. Not to insult the offer, but it's not worth it from the Rangers standpoint. Keeping Leetch doesn't hurt them. Trading Leetch may (still waiting to see if PITT's return for Jags amounts to anything - they're all around 22-23, not in the NHL, and not lighting it up in the AHL - Beech and Sivek in particular).

on #3...no way Nedved returns a #1 pick.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:07 PM
dedalus

#1 - An outside chance but I don't think Buffalo has any interest in moving their first rounder. If they were a lock to go to the playoffs and make some noise maybe, but their position dictates against moving their top pick.

#2 - Lou doesn't trade first rounders, he uses them. I'd have to check but I don't believe he's traded a first round pick in his tenure, and if he did it wouldn't be to the Rangers.

#3 - Nedved doesn't bring back a first round pick from anyone. Had the team moved him three years ago a 1st rounder was possible but not anymore.

If you're looking for a first round pick you'd better be willing to accept one that will be bottom-10. Think Dallas or Toronto.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:11 PM
Profet

Originally Posted by: GregStack

To NJ: He said something here...but I forget as I am still astonished he proposed a Ranger/Devil deal.
To NYR: He said something here as well...

blah blah

To NYI: HA!!!...HAHAHAHAH...HAHAHA...!!!

Old
03-01-2004, 04:13 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Profet
Originally Posted by: GregStack

To NJ: He said something here...but I forget as I am still astonished he proposed a Ranger/Devil deal.
To NYR: He said something here as well...

blah blah

To NYI: HA!!!...HAHAHAHAH...HAHAHA...!!!
Be nice.

03-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Those trades are bad, but realistically, I can't see too many teams calling up Sather looking to help us out. We'll probably see more talk than action before next week.

Old
03-01-2004, 04:22 PM
Edge

as i said elsewhere, i will be surprised if a big deal goes down.

Old
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM
Laches

I don't see any of those deals going down but yes, Sather has to get moving. Washington hasn't wasted any time in dumping it's high-priced dead weight (including a big chunk of it on the Rangers), what's Sather waiting for?

Leetch, Messier, Kovalev, Nedved, Rucinsky, Simon and Barnaby should all be a ble to bring back something. Others should be shopped too, but these are the best pieces of trade bait we've got. Nobody is going to give up anything for Malakhov, Mironov or Hlavac. Poti is young, and he has some talent and an affordable salary, but candyass offensemen who don't produce, don't compete hard every night and avoid physical contact like the plague typically aren't in demand among teams looking for troops to go to battle with in the second season. Still, he may be of interest to a team that is not playoff-bound, and is in desperate need of offense, such as Florida, Carolina, Minnesota or Columbus.

I don't know if any one of those guys will bring back anything major, but packaging them might. Would a Leetch/Messier package look good to someone like Philly or Toronto?

Old
03-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

this deadline is going to be like sathers first deadline with the rangers. he isn't going to make one deal. who would be surprised? :mad:

Old
03-01-2004, 09:51 PM
Barnaby

My bets:

If Leetch moves it will be to Colorado... I just have a funny feeling about that.

Kovalev to Vancouver.

We end up stuck with Nedved.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:25 AM
allrevvedup25

I'm with edge and Steinbrenner, there will be no big trades because as I stated in a previous post in another thread, that if Sather starts trading the vets for prospects and picks, it will admit that he was wrong and we all know that Sather's ego is to big for that!!!

Old
03-02-2004, 07:23 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Not really

Quote:
Originally Posted by allrevvedup25
I'm with edge and Steinbrenner, there will be no big trades because as I stated in a previous post in another thread, that if Sather starts trading the vets for prospects and picks, it will admit that he was wrong and we all know that Sather's ego is to big for that!!!
Two things came out of Sather's move out of the coaching box last week:

(1) The Rangers have supposedly decided that they will no longer go with the star-driven system and are going to build a team like 29 other teams are attempting to do - one based upon a system and good coaching.

(2) Sather cried to his Vancouver crony that he wanted to build and not just fix, but the mandate was something else.

Now, while I believe any move Sather made, he did on his own accord, the spin is out there that Sather's hands were tied. So, if Little Jimmy is willing to take the bullet, then Sather can spin it that what he wanted all along was to build a team. I'd say 99% of the fan base believe that's a load of crap. But, Sather has his own smug excuse for the past four years. The Rangers will make trades, I'm certain of that. What Sather needs to do is get at least one stud prospect in his trades over the next week, to go along with the possible stud he gets in the upcoming draft.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:20 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

the leafs have no interest in nedved
larry brooks made it up

leafs could use a big checking center, like holik - but he costs too much obviously
gratton might be a cheaper alternative as a gamble

hey i'd like to see lindros here finally, is he about ready to play?

Old
03-02-2004, 10:31 AM
Fletch

He'll be playing by week's end...

no doubt being rushed by the fact that he'd love to be traded to the Leafs and play in the playoffs again.

Old
03-02-2004, 11:34 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Realistically(as opposed to fantasy ) what could the Leafs return on Lindros?

Old
03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Realistically(as opposed to fantasy ) what could the Leafs return on Lindros?
Compensation would have to be conditional, so it would almost have to be exclusively picks. A 5th rounder if Eric plays 5 games. A 4th if he plays out the regualr season. A 3rd if the Lefs advance 1 round in the playoffs........You get the idea.

Closed Thread