HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where'd that Lundqvist guy come from?

Old
11-22-2008, 08:30 AM
SP

vCash: 500
Where'd that Lundqvist guy come from?

I don't remember hearing anything about this guy when he was coming up. He seemed to come out of nowhere.

Was he hyped back then before making the jump? Were you guys following his progress and thinking he was your starter of the future? What did you hear about him before he showed?

For me, it feels like one day I'd never heard of him, and the next day he was a top 5 goalie.

SP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:42 AM
Chimp

Watch these. They summarize it all pretty well.

Henrik Lundqvist, MSG profile, part 1

Henrik Lundqvist, MSG profile, part 2

Henrik Lundqvist, MSG profile, part 3

Henrik Lundqvist, MSG profiles, part 4

NYR scout Christer Rockström: "We took a chance on an interesting, promising, young goalie, that fullfilled everything we asked him to do, plus alot more."

Those who watched SEL knew he was really, really good, but the question was if he could carry his game to the NHL level. He never had to be sent down to AHL and that's pretty special. As the videos claim, pretty much nobody knew about him. He just came in and started dominating. Those kind of cinderella stories are always extra awesome and is something that everyone has an easy way to relate to.

Last edited by Chimp: 11-22-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:50 AM
hdw

Well he (and Alfie) scored an SEL Championship before he (Henrik) came over.

Henrik setting a couple of playoff records, Alfie setting some other (and brother Joel setting the records for most PIM during a playoff ...).

The short answer is that he came from the same place and team as Alfie

hdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:54 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

7th round draft pick

205th overall

Just goes to show you....

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:13 AM
Smashley

Space, cause hes definitely not human. (sans last game... )

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:46 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tooth Grin View Post
I don't remember hearing anything about this guy when he was coming up. He seemed to come out of nowhere.

Was he hyped back then before making the jump? Were you guys following his progress and thinking he was your starter of the future? What did you hear about him before he showed?

For me, it feels like one day I'd never heard of him, and the next day he was a top 5 goalie.
We had sticked threads covering him before he got to the NHL. And many here thought he was our best prospect. I can't find the post now, but I remember posting that I thought Lundqvist could be a Vezina finalist his rookie season -- if he played behind a good defense. And he was, but the defense wasn't that good...

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...st#post1345418
Top 25
Quote:
1. Henrik Lundqvist - Best upside in the org. Lethonen migth have a better upside then Henrik but rigth now he is the best outside the NHL..

2. Fedor Tyutin - Played really solid in the NHL at 21.

3. Petr Prucha - A sure fire NHLer. Will contribute on the PP&PK in any eviorment. Will creat chances with his speed on the forecheck&backcheck. Can take the puck up the ice in the transition game. Will contribute no matter if he is on the 4th or 1st line.

4. Josef Balej - Could have the best upside of the attackers in the org. His last stint in the NHL was more of a "display of talents" by Balej. He still needs to prove that he can put it togthere and contribute in the NHL. Not many scorers like Balej makes it but the reports from Hartford sounds great so far! =)

5. Pöck - Has been impressive at the WC. The reports I´ve read about him has always pointed out what a terriffic puck moving defensemen he is but I am really impressed with how he has handled himself at the WC. He had no problem defending on the large ice surface against some really good teams.

6. Immonen - He is very well rounded. Got very smooth hands, good hockey sense and is very strong on the ice. He doesn´t have any skills that really "stands out".

7. Jessiman - Seems like a huge gamble. If he pans out he could become one of the most important building blocks for the future. But so far he hasn´t really proved that much.... Would like to see him in Hartford next year.

8. Kondratiev - He plays with loads of intensity but defenitly needs some experince and guidence.

9. Garth Murray - Like his game allot but he needs to add speed.. Seems to have a element that players like Ortmayer among others lacks but his game will not be effective unless he becomes faster.

10. Ivan Baranka - He was a long shoot when he was drafted and he is still a looong shoot IMO. Would like to see him play a couple of years in europe after CHL and then maybe some in the AHL.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...ight=lundqvist

stickied thread

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=169

Better then theodore, a starter for sure.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:55 AM
Ola

Btw, I love the fact that I was completely trashed for making that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
1. Henrik Lundqvist - Best upside in the org. Lethonen migth have a better upside then Henrik but rigth now he is the best outside the NHL..

2. Fedor Tyutin - Played really solid in the NHL at 21.

3. Petr Prucha - A sure fire NHLer. Will contribute on the PP&PK in any eviorment. Will creat chances with his speed on the forecheck&backcheck. Can take the puck up the ice in the transition game. Will contribute no matter if he is on the 4th or 1st line.

4. Josef Balej - Could have the best upside of the attackers in the org. His last stint in the NHL was more of a "display of talents" by Balej. He still needs to prove that he can put it togthere and contribute in the NHL. Not many scorers like Balej makes it but the reports from Hartford sounds great so far! =)

5. Pöck - Has been impressive at the WC. The reports I´ve read about him has always pointed out what a terriffic puck moving defensemen he is but I am really impressed with how he has handled himself at the WC. He had no problem defending on the large ice surface against some really good teams.

6. Immonen - He is very well rounded. Got very smooth hands, good hockey sense and is very strong on the ice. He doesn´t have any skills that really "stands out".

7. Jessiman - Seems like a huge gamble. If he pans out he could become one of the most important building blocks for the future. But so far he hasn´t really proved that much.... Would like to see him in Hartford next year.

8. Kondratiev - He plays with loads of intensity but defenitly needs some experince and guidence.

9. Garth Murray - Like his game allot but he needs to add speed.. Seems to have a element that players like Ortmayer among others lacks but his game will not be effective unless he becomes faster.

10. Ivan Baranka - He was a long shoot when he was drafted and he is still a looong shoot IMO. Would like to see him play a couple of years in europe after CHL and then maybe some in the AHL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett
:lol Good joke, bud, what's your REAL top ten look like?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Oooh... =) Wait and see, I am never wrong... I guess you don´t see many players actually play and you shouldn´t trust everything you read(except my post)..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Brett
Jessiman's potential ALONE put's him in the top 5, at worst, NO WAY does Prucha go #3. Tyutin is #1, and Lundqvist is at the earliest #3. I think Jessiman or Pock go #2.
http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?p...st#post1345418

Something never changes...

Old
11-22-2008, 10:37 AM
Chimp

Great flashback Ola. Always kind of funny to read those things back in history. Those who believed in him were right.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:26 AM
daveskirtun
:o)

To the OP: I laughed uncontrollably when I read your original thread on the Islanders board.

Awkward

daveskirtun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 11:57 AM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

You don't really like DP better than THE KING do you?

11-22-2008, 12:35 PM
ghirshorn

Quote:

Sweeden

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:01 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I know that I was eagerly awaiting Lundqvist for years before he came over. I just had this feeling that he would be awesome, but not even I thought he would be this good this quickly.

Without him, who knows where this organization would be?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:08 PM
JamesG1221

I remember after the fire sale I decided to look at some of our prospects in detail and I was psyched about him eventually getting here. We spoke about him a lot on the AOL message boards and while we didn't think he'd do what he did his rookie year we were hoping that he'd have the potential to be magical....turns out- he is. And it's awsome. Cause he beats up on the Devils. Which is like Christmas is Oct, Nov, Jan, Feb, March and ESPECIALLY April.

JamesG1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:18 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Henrik Lundqvist came from the same place as the Ultimate Warrior

Parts Unknown

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:40 PM
Smashley

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
Henrik Lundqvist came from the same place as the Ultimate Warrior

Parts Unknown
Hahaha, nice avy. almost 15 years old. crazy!

Smashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 02:49 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashley View Post
Hahaha, nice avy. almost 15 years old. crazy!

They dont make them like Ace Ventura and Dumb and Dumber now

Classics

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Ranger35
Proud of NYR

Send a message via AIM to Ranger35
Quote:

I heard about him when he was dominating in the SEL, I actually thought he had a decent chance of being #1 before Blackburn was injured.

Then again, there are other players I had high hopes for who never turned into anything special, but it's not like Lundqvist was an unknown he had crazy numbers in the SEL.

Ranger35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:43 PM
Ola

The lockout season really put Lundqvist into a special cathegory. Hockeysfuture left him out of their top 50 -- but in the SEL he game after game went up against the likes of Turco, Theodore, Kippper, Gerber, Fernandez and co and Lundqvist won the MVP award that season. Despite gooing up against thoose goalies, and forwards like Forsberg, Marian Hossa and Zetterberg.

But also, the year before that he was named the best goalie in the WCH's. There were some good goalies in that tournaments, Kölzig and JSG to name a few.

My point is that I can brag that I was pretty cocky and certain about Lundy becomming a great goalie in the NHL -- despite HF leaving him off their top 50 ranking of prospects. But he was very proven. He just had a mediocre year as a 18 y/o. And Sweden wasn't known for producing great goalies. Had he just been finnish I am sure he would have gone top 30 anyway in the draft.