HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Waive Wade Belak

Old
11-22-2008, 05:04 PM
harv3317

vCash: 500
belak has done zilch. he doesn't intimidate, doesn't play much and hasn't helped the team. i don't like the fact that no one in the org. told him, but we can get a better piece in there, hopefully. maybe a player like hordichuk, or neil who actually contribute and stir it up!!!!! i'm also disappointed that we couldn't trade him for something. he has been very disappointing since he's been here and i've said that before!!!!

harv3317 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
LOL... way to go again.. no communication with players.. wonder how much this will piss off McCabe too. Oh well.. sinking ship.. only thing to righten this oil tanker is sell the team... Cohen must go....

Mogo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
How are you guys not at the contract limit yet?
They've been over the limit for a while now I thought. They just don't care that much about the fine they have to pay I guess?

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Booth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I would think if you're going to waive a player, a GM with some class would tell him why.

The definition of class isnt telling someone " You stink so we want you off the team"

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:29 PM
Beezer
I'm Da Better Goalie

I don't agree with this move at all, unless like laus723 said this is to make room for a bigger trade that will improve this team and bring in another enforcer. I just hope they don't try to acquire Avery because I really hate that guy. He has no respect for the game. Maybe we can get someone like Jody Shelly or Scott Thornton.

Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:31 PM
George Richards

just spoke to JM. had a lot of things to say, including that he left numerous messages for belak all day...also says he spoke to belak's agent...anyway, update with a lot of JM quotes up on blog now...

George Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:34 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Richards View Post
just spoke to JM. had a lot of things to say, including that he left numerous messages for belak all day...also says he spoke to belak's agent...anyway, update with a lot of JM quotes up on blog now...
Great avatar GR!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:48 PM
George Richards

just trying to capture the spirit of the thing...

Old
11-22-2008, 05:50 PM
Madhatter73

Anyone have a breakdown on our roster's one-way/two-way contracts?

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 05:55 PM
George Richards

Believe only Frolik and Kreps are on two-ways...maybe Welch too...Campbell is a one, Belak too...but Belak doesn't make much..."it's not a money thing,'' Martin said...

Old
11-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Jacques feels the players need to play with more urgency (which they do), so he waives Belak? Why not Peltonen? Dvorak? Or even McLean, who I really like?

and the answer's no...

11-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Jacques feels the players need to play with more urgency (which they do), so he waives Belak? Why not Peltonen? Dvorak? Or even McLean, who I really like?

and the answer's no...
I believe Peltonen has been waived once already and went unclaimed as I suspect Belak will and the three others you suggested would. I'm even wondering if Olesz, with a six year contract commitment and because of that, would also go unclaimed if waived.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:26 PM
Madhatter73

Perhaps JM wants to make a move but needs more space to do so.

Belak's one of the few players that are waivable, expendable, inexpensive and desirable.

If a trade were in the works that brought two players back for one, we wouldn't have the roster room without sending Frolik (earned a spot) and Kreps (one of our best faceoff guys) down.

This may simply be a case of being the odd man out of a potentially bigger deal.

Considering how much everyone likes Belak, I'm hoping this is the case.

Madhatter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Danny Tanner*

Good.

Belak is terrible. he's awful. that goes with the territory with an enforcer, but belak hasn't even been fighting....so why keep him?

i'm not exactly a staunch martin supporter...but the only thing i hold him accountable for is signing belak to a two year deal. why? why two years? he's a goon. one-year and that's all, anyting more is overkill.

if he's not fighting, he's useless. and he hasn't been dropping the mits. even when he is, he isn't intimidating so whatever. dime-a-dozen....hopefully he's opening a roster spot for someone who can actually contribute.

Danny Tanner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:08 PM
BabyJagrov

Do you smell the Bouw' trade ?

BabyJagrov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:18 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Trombone Olesz View Post
Good.

Belak is terrible. he's awful. that goes with the territory with an enforcer, but belak hasn't even been fighting....so why keep him?

i'm not exactly a staunch martin supporter...but the only thing i hold him accountable for is signing belak to a two year deal. why? why two years? he's a goon. one-year and that's all, anyting more is overkill.

if he's not fighting, he's useless. and he hasn't been dropping the mits. even when he is, he isn't intimidating so whatever. dime-a-dozen....hopefully he's opening a roster spot for someone who can actually contribute.
Belak doesn't intimidate anyone? And you also seem to insunuate that he's not a good fighter? Guess you missed the Boogaard fight, the time he's being played (as he says, it's hard to fight from the bench), and he's invitedd people to figt but they've declined, also since Boogaard. You'r enot on the ice, so you don't knwo what's being said.

Dime a dozen? lol, sure. I guess it's OK with you that Boynton just got his ass kicked?

Yeah, cause 4th liners are always huge contributors. Sorry, Belak is valuable, if he's actually out on the ice and thus able to get into other players' faces.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 07:20 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJagr View Post
Do you smell the Bouw' trade ?
I wish, but judging by Martin, Cohen, and Yormark's comments, this has nothing to do with it. Martin doesn't tip his hand, but he could have waived Peltonen, or McLean instead.

Old
11-22-2008, 07:23 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Belak doesn't intimidate anyone? And you also seem to insunuate that he's not a good fighter? Guess you missed the Boogaard fight, the time he's being played (as he says, it's hard to fight from the bench), and he's invitedd people to figt but they've declined, also since Boogaard. You'r enot on the ice, so you don't knwo what's being said.
i didnt insinuate that he isn't a good fighter. but he doesn't do it enough. if he doesn't fight - he's WORTHLESS. and in the 15+ games hes played....one fight? bye belak.

Quote:
Dime a dozen? lol, sure. I guess it's OK with you that Boynton just got his ass kicked?
yeah i couldn't care less. he was sticking up for frolik and got his ass beat. what did belak do about it?

boynton plays with his heart on his sleeve and was sending the bruins a message. he got it across by taking a few punches to the face but his point was made. the "we wont back down" type of gesture....apperantly his teamates didn't get it, though.

we lost the game, 4-2, that's what isn't OK with me.

Quote:
Yeah, cause 4th liners are always huge contributors. Sorry, Belak is valuable, if he's actually out on the ice and thus able to get into other players' faces.
david koci gets one shift a game and seems to do just fine finding a partner - as do alot of other goons. dime-a-dozen. belak doesn't want to fight....get him out of here and get someone who will do their job.

Old
11-22-2008, 07:27 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Meh, you're wrong, completely. I'll leave it at that, I'm not in the mood to go round and round.

He didn't play at all in the third. I've not been overly hapy with his not fighting, but again, you're not out on the ice. I don't care what you think, this was incredibly stupid.

Old
11-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Danny Tanner*

Quote:
Meh, you're wrong, completely. I'll leave it at that, I'm not in the mood to go round and round.

there you go again....i'm wrong because you say so...

.....if you say so....

Quote:
He didn't play at all in the third. I've not been overly hapy with his not fighting, but again, you're not out on the ice. I don't care what you think, this was incredibly stupid.
didn't the hit happen in the second? pretty sure it did - and i'm pretty sure he played the shift right after the fight. oooops.

Old
11-22-2008, 08:04 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Trombone Olesz View Post

there you go again....i'm wrong because you say so...

.....if you say so.....
Nope, other than our stupid team, all the GMS coaches, and most players in the NHL say so.

Quote:
didn't the hit happen in the second? pretty sure it did - and i'm pretty sure he played the shift right after the fight. oooops.
Don't remember, but Lucic was in the box...how're they gonna fight? He may have been out there, but who from Boston was out there? Chara or Thornton?

He didn't play in the third, though. (Pretty amazing that you remember Belak out there right after that. )

Old
11-22-2008, 08:08 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
I would think if you're going to waive a player, a GM with some class would tell him why.
Lots of players have been traded or waived and never spoke with the GM before hand. JM said he tried to contact him and couldn't reach him, I'll take his word for it. Has nothing to do with class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
They've been over the limit for a while now I thought. They just don't care that much about the fine they have to pay I guess?
No, I mean the actual limit on the number of pro contracts a team can carry, which is 50. I don't know how Tampa hasn't reached it yet. They have to be at 50 or pretty close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Richards View Post
Believe only Frolik and Kreps are on two-ways...maybe Welch too...Campbell is a one, Belak too...but Belak doesn't make much..."it's not a money thing,'' Martin said...
I thought Kreps and Welch were on one-ways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Belak's one of the few players that are waivable, expendable, inexpensive and desirable.
You hit the nail right on the head.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:40 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

Wow, this is shocking news. First off, the guy can fight. Second, when he did get more minutes he did end up having quite a few penalties called on him...but they were for driving people through the boards (which brings benefits to a team along with it IMO) and not for little stick violations.

Don't get this at all...unless this is part of something bigger. In which case, there might be something coming back. But yeah, quite puzzled at the moment. Lucic took Boynton pretty easily last game, and he's not even considered a heavyweight.

Quite puzzling.

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:45 PM
Panthers/Leafs fan

JM: ""I've been talking to other managers, trying to make different moves. You get to a point where we need to send a message to our players that we're not going to accept this. We need better performances."

So....the message sent to "our players that we're not going to accept this" is that if they don't pick up their game--someone else who doesn't play much will get released? Makes sense to me!

Panthers/Leafs fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
Wow, this is shocking news. First off, the guy can fight. Second, when he did get more minutes he did end up having quite a few penalties called on him...but they were for driving people through the boards (which brings benefits to a team along with it IMO) and not for little stick violations.

Don't get this at all...unless this is part of something bigger. In which case, there might be something coming back. But yeah, quite puzzled at the moment. Lucic took Boynton pretty easily last game, and he's not even considered a heavyweight.

Quite puzzling.
Yeah, I don't think this has anything to do with Belak being a liability, he's not. And he's a good fighter, no doubt. But DeBoer isn't playing him and doesn't seem too fond of him. So if he's not going to be played, then why keep him? He just takes up a roster spot and a spot in the lineup for someone who can contribute more offensively. Maybe this is to free up a roster spot to bring in some outside help, as well as "send a message".

Lucic isn't considered a heavyweight, but he's definitely in that weight class and he's a great fighter. He's one of the few guys that big who are also pests. Most heavies aren't pests. Boynton can handle most pests. Even Campbell can go with the Averys and the Ruutus. We have Glass in Rochester who beat up Neil and Avery last year. Toronto, Ottawa, Islanders, Detroit, Columbus, and Dallas don't have heavies, and they don't get pushed around. As long as you let it be known you won't be pushed around and take any flack, then you'll be fine without a heavy.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote