HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Waive Wade Belak

Old
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panthers/Leafs fan View Post
JM: ""I've been talking to other managers, trying to make different moves. You get to a point where we need to send a message to our players that we're not going to accept this. We need better performances."

So....the message sent to "our players that we're not going to accept this" is that if they don't pick up their game--someone else who doesn't play much will get released? Makes sense to me!
Just to shake up the room.....

Martin thinks the players are too comfortable here. I think the fact that Belak doesn't play much and isn't being used is exactly why he's expendable. He's being used as an example. The next guy could be a guy who does play a fair amount, is the thinking most likely.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:03 PM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Just to shake up the room.....

Martin thinks the players are too comfortable here. I think the fact that Belak doesn't play much and isn't being used is exactly why he's expendable. He's being used as an example. The next guy could be a guy who does play a fair amount, is the thinking most likely.
Or maybe everyone likes Wade, and JM is saying, "You ****ing candy-ass *****es just forced a good guy out of here."

.. but I like Belak.

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frolesz View Post
Or maybe everyone likes Wade, and JM is saying, "You ****ing candy-ass *****es just forced a good guy out of here."

.. but I like Belak.
Exactly. Martin is saying things are too comfortable. The guys didn't expect this, now maybe they'll be on their toes and it'll shake them out of their comfort zone. Now maybe they think if they play badly, they might be next to go. Anyone can go, who knows, is what they might be thinking.

Old
11-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Montsy14

vCash: 50
O.K. - so let me get this straight....

JM is trying to send a message to the team that the way they are playing is unacceptable? And he goes out and waives the guy that plays 4-6 minutes a game? huh?

This makes no sense at all. Basically, he has succeeded in pissing a guy off that you don't want to piss off. And in all due respect to Wade, him being pissed off isn't going to help us win hockey games because he isn't one of the guys that is the problem right now.

Another thing...Martin citing players like Zednik and McLean to be 20 goal scorers is absolutely absurd. Obviously, if you are putting expectations like that on players like that, you are clearly setting the team up for failure and that is exactly what is happening right now.

To be honest, I have never disagreed with anything Martin has done or said, but I really don't understand what he is trying to accomplish....well i do, but it doesn't make any sense.

Montsy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montsy14 View Post
O.K. - so let me get this straight....

JM is trying to send a message to the team that the way they are playing is unacceptable? And he goes out and waives the guy that plays 4-6 minutes a game? huh?
Yeah, because he's not going to waive Kreps or Zednik or Campbell. Belak is expendable and he was barely playing. He's exactly the type of player you move to shake up the room. If they still don't respond, then he's going to make a bigger move, that's what he said.

Quote:
This makes no sense at all. Basically, he has succeeded in pissing a guy off that you don't want to piss off. And in all due respect to Wade, him being pissed off isn't going to help us win hockey games because he isn't one of the guys that is the problem right now.
I don't expect him to clear, I think the probability is high that someone will pick him up. And if he doesn't, Martin's already alluded to sending him to Rochester.

Quote:
Another thing...Martin citing players like Zednik and McLean to be 20 goal scorers is absolutely absurd. Obviously, if you are putting expectations like that on players like that, you are clearly setting the team up for failure and that is exactly what is happening right now.
Zednik did have 15 goals in 54 games. It's not unreasonable at all to think he could have scored 20+ had he stayed healthy. McLean is a bit of a reach for 20 I agree, but he did have 15, also in an injury shortened season. They both have disappointed this season. Zed's start is a little more predictable, but McLean is really someone who we should be expecting more of. 0 goals from him 1/4 into the season while seeing ample time on the top line is totally unacceptable.

Old
11-22-2008, 10:07 PM
Pukboy5kroner

Does anyone think Belak will really show up to play in Rochester?

He might, I guess, but with a player of his age, and his intitial reaction to the situation, I could easily see him not reporting similiar to what Scott Parker did.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:42 PM
CanadianPantherFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
LOL... way to go again.. no communication with players.. wonder how much this will piss off McCabe too. Oh well.. sinking ship.. only thing to righten this oil tanker is sell the team... Cohen must go....
If the team is sold ...say good bye Florida. It would probably be time to relocate. I'd say Seattle/Portland,Kansas City ...maybe Winnipeg or Las Vegas but I have my doubts about those two cities.

Play out the lease ,decide where they are moving to build up a new fanbase (I would probably stay with the club if they did not fold altogether).

CanadianPantherFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pukboy5kroner View Post
Does anyone think Belak will really show up to play in Rochester?

He might, I guess, but with a player of his age, and his intitial reaction to the situation, I could easily see him not reporting similiar to what Scott Parker did.
Like I said, I don't expect him to clear. But if he does, I agree I could see him not reporting. But who cares?

Old
11-23-2008, 12:13 AM
Biggzy*

Its about time. Belak was an absolute waste of a roster spot. Thank you JM.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:42 AM
noway

When he was with TO he never stirred up trouble (ie. by picking on other teams' best players) like a Brashear does. That's the easiest way to get a partner. Decent fighter though.

noway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:48 AM
Kaptah

Seems that every time we trade a player, he leaves in anger. Maybe JM should consider attending some kind of communication school.

Kaptah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Gaebriel

I'm sure the whole team is now deathly afraid of being traded. Yeah. I bet they're just terrified, what with our amazing management and culture of winning this could be their only shot at a cup.

What a joke.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:41 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by noway View Post
When he was with TO he never stirred up trouble (ie. by picking on other teams' best players) like a Brashear does. That's the easiest way to get a partner. Decent fighter though.
Exactly what I've been saying, he's not a pest and most heavies aren't. The Brashears and Boogaards are the exception, not the rule. If he's not going to play a lot, there's no point in keeping him here. And this also goes back to what I've been saying, it doesn't matter if you don't have a heavy, as long as you have guys who can take care of the pests. Heavies only fight with eachother, pests are too afraid to go with them and will just decline and run away everytime, like someone did earlier in the season with Belak, I forget who it was though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaptah View Post
Seems that every time we trade a player, he leaves in anger. Maybe JM should consider attending some kind of communication school.
Yeah, because most players enjoy being traded. BTW, Belak was waived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
I'm sure the whole team is now deathly afraid of being traded. Yeah. I bet they're just terrified, what with our amazing management and culture of winning this could be their only shot at a cup.

What a joke.
Well, we don't want those players here anyway. If they're just here to collect a check and sit back and enjoy the sun and don't care about playing hard and winning, then who really cares about them?

Old
11-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Its about time. Belak was an absolute waste of a roster spot. Thank you JM.
Yeah, cause someone else could have been a better 4th liner, THAT'S why we've been so bad. It was ALL Wade's fault.

11-23-2008, 02:22 AM
Gaebriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Well, we don't want those players here anyway. If they're just here to collect a check and sit back and enjoy the sun and don't care about playing hard and winning, then who really cares about them?
Which is why it's a joke of a threat. The players who want to be here are the ones who are already playing hard night in and night out. If thinks he's going to motivate lazy players by threatening to trade them away from the last place team then he's an idiot.

If you have a problem in the locker room you get rid of it. You don't sit there and make empty threats in the media which are bound to be ignored by the players you're targeting, making you look like a fool in the process.

I can just imagine JM bringing Bouwmeester into his office for a chat. "Son, if you don't try harder we're going to trade your ass to Detroit. You think about that. You think about it long and hard!"

What. A. Joke.

Gaebriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Right now I wouldnt mind trading everyone except Weiss, Booth, Ballard, Campbell. Seems the only guys who give 110% our there. Dvorak is borderline there too but his hands are stone

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 05:38 AM
Mogo
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianPantherFan View Post
If the team is sold ...say good bye Florida. It would probably be time to relocate. I'd say Seattle/Portland,Kansas City ...maybe Winnipeg or Las Vegas but I have my doubts about those two cities.

Play out the lease ,decide where they are moving to build up a new fanbase (I would probably stay with the club if they did not fold altogether).
The team woulndt be moved as it's been said it would be too expensive for the new owner.

Mogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 06:26 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatter73 View Post
Perhaps JM wants to make a move but needs more space to do so.

Belak's one of the few players that are waivable, expendable, inexpensive and desirable.

If a trade were in the works that brought two players back for one, we wouldn't have the roster room without sending Frolik (earned a spot) and Kreps (one of our best faceoff guys) down.

This may simply be a case of being the odd man out of a potentially bigger deal.

Considering how much everyone likes Belak, I'm hoping this is the case.

Excellent POV, Madhatter.

As upset as I am to see Wade being waived, your assessment brings it into a better perspective for me.

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:29 AM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
This whole situation wreaks of fear. JM is trying to shake things up, trying to get send a message to these guys, but in all honesty, this isn't much of a message.

His quoted sound like he's trying to do the right thing, but where does this honestly get us? Like someone said earlier in the thread, if the players aren't playing hard before, why the hell would something like this motivate them to play hard? Hell I'd play even worse just to get shipped out of this ****hole!

The quote about talking to other managers was just to tute our horns. So we can't say "why isn't he looking to improve this team".

What really bothers me is that JM is still sitting strong with that "let's wait and see" mentality. We don't have time for that kind of crap. We've not even a 1/4 of a ways through the season and we're already 10 points out of the division, sitting comfy in LAST PLACE. This team is not just going to miraculously turn it around and start scoring. THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH MARTIN, and you think waiving Wade will change that?

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 08:57 AM
harv3317

as i said, belak has not been doinhg his job. not intimidating other teams and not playing much. he's a good guy, a good fighter, but he's not nasty, or a pest. he's expendable, but i would of hoped for a pick, or trade for him. if he's not picked up i think he will be back with the team ala murphy, but hopefully this is a move to pick up a needed piece in a trade, or acquisition ala parrish, the no brainer!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:04 AM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
What if Belak does clear waivers and is put back on the team?

Makes you wonder how tense the locker room would get then, eh? Maybe a handful of players will start pissing their pants at the notion they were the reason the toughest guy in the room was made an example?

ratmanfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:23 AM
harv3317

that would work. it would send a message to belak that he needs to do more and hopefully shake up ,the room a bit!!!! a trade, or acquistion would be a better scenario though, but if belak is back in the room after being waived i believe it could be a wake up call and motivate people. it also could get players to want out and play badly, but at this point that is what some of them are doing anyway!!!!!!
i think it would be a wake up call!!!!!!!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaebriel View Post
Which is why it's a joke of a threat. The players who want to be here are the ones who are already playing hard night in and night out. If thinks he's going to motivate lazy players by threatening to trade them away from the last place team then he's an idiot.

If you have a problem in the locker room you get rid of it. You don't sit there and make empty threats in the media which are bound to be ignored by the players you're targeting, making you look like a fool in the process.

I can just imagine JM bringing Bouwmeester into his office for a chat. "Son, if you don't try harder we're going to trade your ass to Detroit. You think about that. You think about it long and hard!"

What. A. Joke.
Waiving an expendable player like Belak is a good way to shake up the room. You don't lose much, and you have everything to gain if it works. You say if there's a problem in the room get rid of it, but if there's say a handful of guys who are a problem, you can't trade them all, especially if those guys are good players and you don't necessarily want to trade them, you just want to wake them up. Good luck getting fair value back and fitting the new players under the cap/budget as well.

Besides, you don't think some guys wives' and families love it here? Would you rather be in Florida or Canada/northern US during winter, especially if they or their wives aren't from up north? Yes, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that some of them would get motivated and start playing harder if they now think it's not a country club anymore and they could be moved.

So you're saying we should just trade Bouw now even if it means potentially for something less than we could get elsewhere if we waited, instead of trying to motivate him and get him to help the team more? If you think he's not playing hard, then at least this way we tried to send a message instead of just shipping him out prematurely.

Old
11-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Booth10

"Belak is under the impression the Panthers are upset he didn't participate in an optional skate Thursday in New Jersey and that he didn't fight anyone in Boston on Friday after teammate Nick Boynton got hammered in his melee with Milan Lucic."

Here is your answer it seems.

Booth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:49 AM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, cause someone else could have been a better 4th liner, THAT'S why we've been so bad. It was ALL Wade's fault.
Ya know, I was actually waiting for you to reply with some smart ass remark. Did I say THATS why we've been bad? No.

Umm and yeah someone...ANYONE could've been a better 4th liner. You see, in hockey, people on the 4th line actually PLAY in the game.

Belak is complete garbage.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote