HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers Waive Wade Belak

Old
11-23-2008, 09:51 AM
GoRatsGo
LGP

vCash: 500
If he could skate faster he would still be here. His skating makes him a defensive liability and it limits his offense to 2 goals in the last 3 years...

GoRatsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Pukboy5kroner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocatsgo538 View Post
If he could skate faster he would still be here. His skating makes him a defensive liability and it limits his offense to 2 goals in the last 3 years...
I don't know how much that really has to do with why he is not here, as it seems like an easiest of all available options move by JM, but it is true; if he could really skate faster, we would find ourselves in some sort of bizzarro world. He is a great fighter, one of the best still playing in the NHL, but he doesn't get to play enough to be a factor. As far as stats go, he is pretty much a wash this year, in his 4:21 toi, he has 0 points, 4 shots, has a +/-0, 25 PIMs and 19 hits in 14 games.

Pukboy5kroner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:07 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Ya know, I was actually waiting for you to reply with some smart ass remark. Did I say THATS why we've been bad? No.

Umm and yeah someone...ANYONE could've been a better 4th liner. You see, in hockey, people on the 4th line actually PLAY in the game.

Belak is complete garbage.
Yeah, sure he is. NHL is loaded with "complete garbage."

11-23-2008, 10:13 AM
sinDer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Yeah, sure he is. NHL is loaded with "complete garbage."
"Garbage" as a NHL player

Panthers is actually one of the best team in the world you know, but compared to other NHL teams, they're bad

I would take both Peltonen and Dvorak on my beer league team anytime

sinDer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinDer View Post
"Garbage" as a NHL player

Panthers is actually one of the best team in the world you know, but compared to other NHL teams, they're bad

I would take both Peltonen and Dvorak on my beer league team anytime
Sorry, but you lost me.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:27 AM
Slick Cat

Not sure how in any way shap or form putting Belak on waivers makes any sense. martin regretfully admitted as did cohen publicly that we needed an enforcer and he even said as long as he owned the team that we would always have one. we get one of the best fighters in the league, he even beat who many thought was the best in boogard, then he gets waived. what did he expect from him, to play 20 minutes a game and lead the team in scoring. he is what he is, the same player we acquired and that martin gave a two year extension to. what did he expect from him? personally i would have preferred a more instigating goon like a Hordichuck or the player he stupidly let go to edmonton but at least we had a good fighter for a change in the martin regime. instead opf blaming the guy who barely gets on the ice lets blame the string of failed free agents he signed or the overhyped overpaid bouw who is losing value every day thanks to martin hoping he could sign him. Complete overhaul is needed starting with martin, the problem is that cohen has shown such poor judgement that there is no way he can pick a good replacement.

Slick Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogo View Post
Right now I wouldnt mind trading everyone except Weiss, Booth, Ballard, Campbell. Seems the only guys who give 110% our there. Dvorak is borderline there too but his hands are stone
I have always been a fan of Weiss, but this year he really isn't producing... I'm starting to wonder if he could go too. He has been here in this poisoneous loosing's fine-environment the longest.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:28 PM
Tuco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Cat View Post
Not sure how in any way shap or form putting Belak on waivers makes any sense. martin regretfully admitted as did cohen publicly that we needed an enforcer and he even said as long as he owned the team that we would always have one. we get one of the best fighters in the league, he even beat who many thought was the best in boogard, then he gets waived. what did he expect from him, to play 20 minutes a game and lead the team in scoring. he is what he is, the same player we acquired and that martin gave a two year extension to. what did he expect from him? personally i would have preferred a more instigating goon like a Hordichuck or the player he stupidly let go to edmonton but at least we had a good fighter for a change in the martin regime. instead opf blaming the guy who barely gets on the ice lets blame the string of failed free agents he signed or the overhyped overpaid bouw who is losing value every day thanks to martin hoping he could sign him. Complete overhaul is needed starting with martin, the problem is that cohen has shown such poor judgement that there is no way he can pick a good replacement.
I agree with a lot that has been said in this thread about Belak. I think by waiving him Martin is in a way admitting his mistake. We needed someone to anwer the bell, but now we have been so bad we don't even get challenged. There's no need to fight us, we are no threat.

Anyway, in this situation Belak is not useful. Like someone said, he is not an agitating enforcer, which is what we need, if anything. We don't need a good guy who protects our skilled players from the other team's heavy, because we don't have skilled guys to protect.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:32 PM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
DeBoer always played a tough guy before, I think this has a lot to do with Belak not stirring things up and allowing Boynton to try that. In fact, let's just say a "little birdie told me." Though, I don't agree with just up and waiving him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Yeah, because he's not going to waive Kreps or Zednik or Campbell. Belak is expendable and he was barely playing. He's exactly the type of player you move to shake up the room. If they still don't respond, then he's going to make a bigger move, that's what he said.
i think you're both right and sorry laus, belak just wasn't getting it done. he had limited opportunities so i feel for him a bit but the bottom line is that he wasn't doing a good job and was expendable.

Last edited by zeroG: 11-23-2008 at 01:44 PM.
zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:49 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
i think you're both right and sorry laus, belak just wasn't getting it done. he had limited opportunities so i feel for him a bit but the bottom line is that he wasn't doing a good job and was expendable.
I'll agree he wasn't doing what he's on the team to do, but as he said, if someone doesn't want to go, he can't force them to. He's also barely being played.

I just hope he clears waivers and comes back severely pissed off.

Old
11-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Great8Cam

There are a lot of good points made within this thread. But, Belak just isn't the guy to use as an example in order to shake things up. The 4 I always mention are a much better example to use as a tool.

The problem is you just can't do that to Zed because of the incident. Peltonen is actually worried that he will be waived.

MacLean would probably get picked up quick and maybe even Dvo.

That's why these 4 should be traded for a Centre and a winger or D. It's there last year, except for MacLean, and they make a collective 6+ million.

If nobody will trade for them in any manner then they should be waived so that the young guys can come up.

At least then we can blame the losses on the "youth" of our team again.

I agree with the others that say that you can't be an effective fighter from the bench and he wasn't out there when Lucic and Nick went. So, what do you expect from the guy.

Lokk at the Bruins win over the Habs when Laraque tried to go with Lucic and then with Thornton. They each said "no thanks." Mainly because there was no reason to go, and also because George is going to make them pay.

Wade beat Boogie and everyone in the NHL knows it. So. it's a similar situation taht George has in games for Wade.

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:29 PM
Great8Cam

Was Belak ever out on the ice with Lucic after the Nick fight???

Great8Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 03:37 PM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
There are a lot of good points made within this thread. But, Belak just isn't the guy to use as an example in order to shake things up. The 4 I always mention are a much better example to use as a tool.

The problem is you just can't do that to Zed because of the incident. Peltonen is actually worried that he will be waived.

MacLean would probably get picked up quick and maybe even Dvo.

That's why these 4 should be traded for a Centre and a winger or D. It's there last year, except for MacLean, and they make a collective 6+ million.

If nobody will trade for them in any manner then they should be waived so that the young guys can come up.

At least then we can blame the losses on the "youth" of our team again.

I agree with the others that say that you can't be an effective fighter from the bench and he wasn't out there when Lucic and Nick went. So, what do you expect from the guy.

Lokk at the Bruins win over the Habs when Laraque tried to go with Lucic and then with Thornton. They each said "no thanks." Mainly because there was no reason to go, and also because George is going to make them pay.

Wade beat Boogie and everyone in the NHL knows it. So. it's a similar situation taht George has in games for Wade
That's exactly what I keep saying. Heavyweights only fight eachother, everyone else is too scared to fight them. Lucic and Thornton are going to do what they're going to do, they don't care about Laraque. Georges tried to goad Lucic, Lucic just laughed at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great8Cam View Post
Was Belak ever out on the ice with Lucic after the Nick fight???
Pete sent Belak out next shift, but again, Lucic was in the box. By the time he gets out, Wade has already long been on the bench. That was the last shift Belak got. Other teams know we only play Belak a couple minutes a game most nights, they're not stupid. And DeBoer didn't like playing him too much. So again, Belak isn't going to deter Lucic. Lucic's going to do what he's going to do, and he's going to fight who he's going to fight. Did he fight Laraque? No.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Bystander

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterBouw View Post
Pete sent Belak out next shift, but again, Lucic was in the box. By the time he gets out, Wade has already long been on the bench. That was the last shift Belak got. Other teams know we only play Belak a couple minutes a game most nights, they're not stupid. And DeBoer didn't like playing him too much. So again, Belak isn't going to deter Lucic. Lucic's going to do what he's going to do, and he's going to fight who he's going to fight. Did he fight Laraque? No.
Belak was sent out on the next shift to send a message, plain and simple, yet all he did was skate around. Why didn't he take a run at one of their guys? That's what Lucic did and what started the whole thing? that's how you send a message. Hey you hit cheap shot one of my guys, and I will do the same to yours.

Who cares if he takes a penalty there? if you are ever going to take a bad penalty that's the time in the game to do so. I'm sure Pete was expecting it and the team would have gladly tried to kill it.

As many have said, he's a fighter not an agitator, and you need a guy who can do both. Bottom line is he did not do his job.

Bystander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Acadmus

My only statement on this is, I can see how it makes sense to waive a popular player when the team isn't playing well. It's a statement of "shape up or any one of you or all of you will be gone."

Whether it will work or not - or even if it CAN work - is another question to which I don't have the answer. And of course there's then the issue of needing an enforcer and possibly no longer having one. And then again, what happens if no one claims Belak? Will that send any messages? "You all suck so much no one even wants to grab you for free?"

Frankly I don't know and don't care anymore how this season or franchise will go. I'll still root for the Panthers, but after 11 years of failure I'm too worn out to put any emotional investment in them or bother pointing fingers of blame anymore.

11-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Race against NINE View Post
Frankly I don't know and don't care anymore how this season or franchise will go. I'll still root for the Panthers, but after 11 years of failure I'm too worn out to put any emotional investment in them or bother pointing fingers of blame anymore.
Bingo! That's exactly how I feel. I just don't even see the need to get so worked up or care that much anymore. This is a good year to suck unlike all the other years we sucked. If we can get Tavares and at worst, the consolation prize of Hedman, then suck away Panthers cause if you've done anything well this decade, it's suck.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:15 AM
Acadmus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Bingo! That's exactly how I feel. I just don't even see the need to get so worked up or care that much anymore. This is a good year to suck unlike all the other years we sucked. If we can get Tavares and at worst, the consolation prize of Hedman, then suck away Panthers cause if you've done anything well this decade, it's suck.
And there's a lot to be said for consistency, after all

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:36 AM
Acadmus

Well, it's after noon, and I believe that was the deadline. Was he claimed?

Acadmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Well, it's after noon, and I believe that was the deadline. Was he claimed?
I'm looking everywhere I can think of to look. Nothing yet, I've heard it can sometimes take an hour.

Old
11-24-2008, 11:41 AM
timetraveler023
Unregistered User

He cleared, GR just updated. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/flapa...elak-clea.html

timetraveler023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Thank God!!!

Old
11-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Seeing what some of you have had to write about this situation, I will give my response.

I hope Belak comes back pissed off. I hope he realizes that as some of you have said (and I agree), he hasn't done his job. Heavyweights do generally only fight heavyweights, so Belak, you just need to challenge anyone who challenges our players heavyweight or not. I don't care if you take a bad penalty, but your job is to make those guys pay. If Lucic wants to challenge Boynton, he better be ready to answer to Belak and it's as simple as that.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Belak is most certainly a liability. I don't want to see him getting double digit ice time because that's not good for our team. When he is there, he better be hitting everything in sight.

Rattrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:04 PM
Biggzy*

Quote:
Completely agree with this. I don't know what the heck the Panthers are doing anymore, but I'll still root for them. It would be nice to make the playoffs even if we got booted in the first round.

Biggzy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattrick View Post
Seeing what some of you have had to write about this situation, I will give my response.

I hope Belak comes back pissed off. I hope he realizes that as some of you have said (and I agree), he hasn't done his job. Heavyweights do generally only fight heavyweights, so Belak, you just need to challenge anyone who challenges our players heavyweight or not. I don't care if you take a bad penalty, but your job is to make those guys pay. If Lucic wants to challenge Boynton, he better be ready to answer to Belak and it's as simple as that.

EDIT: Just wanted to add that Belak is most certainly a liability. I don't want to see him getting double digit ice time because that's not good for our team. When he is there, he better be hitting everything in sight.
I agree with this, but he did make his presence known during the TBL game after Booth was popped in the face.

I don't want to see him playing 10 minutes, either, but it's not worth having him if he's not out there with the other toughies.

Old
11-24-2008, 12:10 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggzy View Post
Completely agree with this. I don't know what the heck the Panthers are doing anymore, but I'll still root for them. It would be nice to make the playoffs even if we got booted in the first round.
I don't mind stinking it up THIS season, but it's getting old. I didn't sign up to be a fan of the Arizona Cardinals or the Detroit Lions.