HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Football -- NYG vs NYJ?

Old
11-24-2008, 11:19 AM
Pnut

vCash: 500
I really think that the Jets can play the Giants in the SB
Giants will probably have an easier time. Being a Jet fan I can really appreciate what disrespect the Gmen took at the start of the season, they were picked to be third in their own division! Being an Isles and Jets fan we have been through too much and it would be good to see the Jets get by the Pats, which i think they can do(sorry Jonathan) Stupid Mangina is finally letting Brett the Jet do his stuff. I don't think the Pats are invisable because if Moss gets disgruntaled/angry anytime between the playoffs, which could happen. The Pats are done! I feel it(?)

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:23 AM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm actually quite unimpressed with Bradshaw as a whole this year. I think that has a lot to do with lack of playing time, but he's a CLEAR #3 behind Ward and Jacobs.

While I agree about the play clock in a sense, how often do we see Eli pressured or sacked? It's not often. Our O-line is so ****ing good, that even if the early jump is achieved, Eli usually has time to eat a 3 course meal before he has to throw.
It's frustrating because we've seen him make big plays (like last week against Baltimore), but he doesn't do it consistently like Ward (can't even compare him to Jacobs).

While our O-line is in fact that ****ing good, Eli sometimes still looks panicked. I feel like when old Eli shows up, he needs that little bit of extra time. When Eli 2.0 is playing, he can run the clock as much as he wants, because when he is turned on, he can do no wrong.

we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:25 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It's frustrating because we've seen him make big plays (like last week against Baltimore), but he doesn't do it consistently like Ward (can't even compare him to Jacobs).

While our O-line is in fact that ****ing good, Eli sometimes still looks panicked. I feel like when old Eli shows up, he needs that little bit of extra time. When Eli 2.0 is playing, he can run the clock as much as he wants, because when he is turned on, he can do no wrong.
Old Eli seems to occur only in the first quarter and a half, thank God. Then again, Eli has always been one of THE BEST 4th quarter and come from behind QBs in the league since even his first year.

Frankly, I said it before he was drafted and I still think it -- when all is said and done, he will be better than Peyton. He had a better college career and was always considered to be more naturally gifted. I think that both will be HOF QBs at the end of their careers as well.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:26 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
I really think that the Jets can play the Giants in the SB
Giants will probably have an easier time. Being a Jet fan I can really appreciate what disrespect the Gmen took at the start of the season, they were picked to be third in their own division! Being an Isles and Jets fan we have been through too much and it would be good to see the Jets get by the Pats, which i think they can do(sorry Jonathan) Stupid Mangina is finally letting Brett the Jet do his stuff. I don't think the Pats are invisable because if Moss gets disgruntaled/angry anytime between the playoffs, which could happen. The Pats are done! I feel it(?)
You guys barelyyyyy got through a shell of a Pats team the 2nd time. I don't see you beating a more healthy version, but that's me. Any given Sunday, though. It would be a very good game, as well.

But the way Cassell has played lately... I don't know. He's been ****ing fantastic.

Old
11-24-2008, 11:30 AM
NYROrtsFan

Huh?

The only guy that was missing that will be back in a potential next game with the Pats is Ty Warren. Excellent player, no doubt, but with guys like Jarvis Green to back up there is no big fall off.

The players that are hurt on the Pats are hurt for the rest of the season.

They had their entire offense, and what is now their entire defense minus Ty Warren.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
This also assumes that the Jets can beat the Pats again, as they'd probably wind up facing each other.

A healthy Pats team (minus Brady, of course) would beat the Jets. The way Cassell is playing now... I don't think the Jets could handle him. They BARELY beat a shell Pats team last time. A fully healthy Pats team (outside of Brady) would beat the Jets if they played right now.
The Pats AREN'T healthy. That's the way it is. Who are you waiting for to come back from the Pats? You acknowledged that Brady isn't coming back...Adelius is out for the year, as well as Harrison and others. The team the Jets beat is about the same team that they will play in the playoffs. You say the Jets "barely" beat them...they still DID beat them in New England with Cassell throwing for 400 yards. The Jets are clearly a different team than the one New England saw week 2. You have to give the Jets more credit. You are downplaying their win at Tenn when they whooped their ass in every facet of the game. I don't want any part of New England in the playoffs, but you have to believe the Jets certainly have a decent chance of winning it. I certainly think it will be a VERY close game

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:35 AM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
Huh?

The only guy that was missing that will be back in a potential next game with the Pats is Ty Warren. Excellent player, no doubt, but with guys like Jarvis Green to back up there is no big fall off.

The players that are hurt on the Pats are hurt for the rest of the season.

They had their entire offense, and what is now their entire defense minus Ty Warren.
Weren't both Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk out (#2 and 3 RBs) against the Jets? I thought that they were on their #4 running back.

I thought that Bruschi was out as well then.

All 3 should be back and healthy for the next meeting (if there is one).

Old
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Shake and Bake

Quote:
Weren't both Sammy Morris and Kevin Faulk out (#2 and 3 RBs) against the Jets? I thought that they were on their #4 running back.

0-3 They all played...

Shake and Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:40 AM
NYROrtsFan

Bruschi and Sammy Morris both played. As well as Faulk now that I look at it.

The only player that didn't play of note was Ty Warren. That said, the Jets were without their leading tackler David Harris as well.

Old
11-24-2008, 11:43 AM
sattar18

Quote:
This also assumes that the Jets can beat the Pats again, as they'd probably wind up facing each other.

A healthy Pats team (minus Brady, of course) would beat the Jets. The way Cassell is playing now... I don't think the Jets could handle him. They BARELY beat a shell Pats team last time. A fully healthy Pats team (outside of Brady) would beat the Jets if they played right now.
you do know cassell got all his yards when the jets played prevent d, he was getting nothing until the lead was way high and mangini turned into mangina. BTW Revis has shutdown moss the last 3 games he has played in, including last year as a rookie. Im sorry but pats dont matchup well at all vs the jets.maroney,harrison, and thomas are all done for the year

Quote:

all 3 that you said played.

sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:53 AM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post

Then again, if my wife and I can survive Ranger-Devil playoffs, I think we can survive a Giants-Jets Super Bowl. Might be hard for her though considering the Giants will just wipe the floor with the Jets.
they would mutilate the jets, no only whipe the floor with their broken bodies

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:58 AM
NYROrtsFan

Jets match up good against the Giants if it ever came to that. Giants rely on their running game and that is what the Jets stop.

Jets also have good pass blocking and should be able to keep them from taking over the game.

Old
11-24-2008, 03:13 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
After yesterday's game against the Titans I am willing to say for the first time in my life that the Jets have a chance to win the superbowl.

I also believe that that chance is hovering around 5% and that collapsing before the playoffs even begin is around 35%.

It would be an absolute blast to have giants vs Jets in the superbowl. It would be so much fun. But it would also make football more popular in ny which would mean even less hockey coverage.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Isles4ever11

Send a message via AIM to Isles4ever11
I just find it hilarious how cocky Giants fans are after the Superbowl. You can talk about matchups all you want, but the Patriots were much better than the Giants were last year. Period.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday. Especially in the Superbowl, as we saw last year.

The Jets would be underdogs, but they wouldn't be out of the game before it started.

Isles4ever11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Fletch

the Jets need to play their best game to beat the Giants playing an ordinary game. They would also need to rely more on big plays happening as opposed to the Giants who seemingly can just keep plugging away methodically to beat their opponents, including the Jets. Obviously anyone can beat anyone (the Giants have lost and the Jets lost to the Raiders), but if there was a reasonable line, either home or away for the Giants (there's a joke in there somewhere), I'm guessing the Giants are the favorites and for good reason. Perhaps it's only 3-4 points, but they're the favorites.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Fletch

it was a great win against the Titans yesterday. I still think that the road to the Superbowl may still be a tough road. The Pats are looking pretty good as Cassel gets comfy in his role and they are a very well-coached team (7-4 is not a bad record considering that their starting QB was playing for the first time since high school!). The Steelers are starting to look a bit better also and if Eli gets healthy, the Colts are always a threat (although less than in past years). TENN is still a good team that may be tough beating a second time on its home field. Baltimore's pretty tought....uh, now that I think about it, the Conference is looking pretty weak since I had to bring up Baltimore as if I'm living in Ray Lewis' prime. If they continue to play like this, and Leon has one big play per game, there chances are good...

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:04 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles4ever11 View Post
I just find it hilarious how cocky Giants fans are after the Superbowl. You can talk about matchups all you want, but the Patriots were much better than the Giants were last year. Period.

Anything can happen on any given Sunday. Especially in the Superbowl, as we saw last year.

The Jets would be underdogs, but they wouldn't be out of the game before it started.
I agree....and i am a huge giants fan but any given sunday is true and what happened last year you cant easily say the giants would wipe the floor with the jets and if you are a giants fan and saying that then you are just foolish,

Ok if the giants run the way they do the jets cant and wont stop it....the offensive line is too good and would dominate the dline....that doesnt mean the giants win i just think they wouldnt be able to slow the 3 headed monster down. The way eli has looked this year and the playoffs last year its safe to say he would fair well against the jets defense.

The big question would be if the gianst dline with some blitzes gets pressure consitently on farve its game over......if the secondary can cover for just 5 seconds the jets are done for....even with out there best dlineman they are still to good to contain the whole game....even against the cardinals which had the 2nd best offense in the game they were times the gmen defense looked bad but thats becuase of the WR ability to get open so quick.....the jets dont have WR's like that

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:27 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLeetch2 View Post
The big question would be if the gianst dline with some blitzes gets pressure consitently on farve its game over......if the secondary can cover for just 5 seconds the jets are done for....even with out there best dlineman they are still to good to contain the whole game....even against the cardinals which had the 2nd best offense in the game they were times the gmen defense looked bad but thats becuase of the WR ability to get open so quick.....the jets dont have WR's like that
A bit off topic, but Arizona's WRs are just a joy to watch.

Just phenominal receiving corps...

Old
11-24-2008, 04:31 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd love to see the Jets-Giants.

Think it would be a great game.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:34 PM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:

totally are the best duo in the league....no team really was able to shut them 2 down at all not even one of them....def both of them are probowlers

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 04:42 PM
sattar18

Quote:

agree, they are Beasts. Yet Matt L. still cant throw to them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
it was a great win against the Titans yesterday. I still think that the road to the Superbowl may still be a tough road. The Pats are looking pretty good as Cassel gets comfy in his role and they are a very well-coached team (7-4 is not a bad record considering that their starting QB was playing for the first time since high school!). The Steelers are starting to look a bit better also and if Eli gets healthy, the Colts are always a threat (although less than in past years). TENN is still a good team that may be tough beating a second time on its home field. Baltimore's pretty tought....uh, now that I think about it, the Conference is looking pretty weak since I had to bring up Baltimore as if I'm living in Ray Lewis' prime. If they continue to play like this, and Leon has one big play per game, there chances are good...
IMO the Jets and the Steelers are the best in the AFC, but a major problem for the steelers is can the Oline hold up against Elite pass rushers. Jets biggest problem right now is their LB'ers in coverage, but Harris is injured and will be back soon, they also need an elite pass rusher.

Titans on the other hand i do no trust their offence at all, defence is good but same cannot be said for thier offence.

Ravens have a rookie QB, end of story, they wont get anything done in the playoffs.

Colts are turning it around big time and should have sanders back but can Manning needs to be super human to win it all again...and its possible.

Pats are looking good, but their defence is getting shredded and cassel wont be able to keep it up against better teams.

Last edited by sattar18: 11-24-2008 at 04:49 PM.
sattar18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:34 PM
John Torturella

I think this would be a tight game. Jets are a well rounded team. They are very solid against the run, Jenkins is a monster, their run game has been very strong, Jones and Washington are a nice 1-2 punch. Their receivers are underrated with Coles and Cotchery. Dustin Keller has been great and is just getting better each game. Favre is Favre and the offensive line is coming together well. Special teams are great outside of the kicking game which is good enough. When Harris comes back the defense will be that much better. The secondary is strong. Lowery has been inconsistent but overall pretty good. Kerry Rhodes is a top free safety in the league, Revis is a top CB and Elam has been a playmaker as the strong safety. The Jets have a strong team and I think they should be given more respect.

The Giants are great but Im thinking they will get upset. Dallas will beat them in the playoffs. Will be the reverse of last year.

John Torturella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:46 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Eli has always been one of THE BEST 4th quarter and come from behind QBs in the league since even his first year.

Frankly, I said it before he was drafted and I still think it -- when all is said and done, he will be better than Peyton. He had a better college career and was always considered to be more naturally gifted. I think that both will be HOF QBs at the end of their careers as well.
It's so funny you say that, My Father said the same exact thing after he was drafted & even when he was struggling continued to believe, I was not as optomistic.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:12 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
Quote:

Definitely. Which is why it was very impressive to see the secondary come up so big against them on Sunday.

As for Eli eventually being better than Peyton..my dad has said for a while now that he sees it, and I just haven't in the past..but this year, it's just changed. Maybe a Super Bowl-winning drive does that, but the guy has tons of poise and you just have the feeling that he's going to pull it out, which was not always a feeling I had in past years. Granted, alot of this is credit to the O-line, which as Jon previously mentioned gives him enough time to eat a 3-course meal and then take a brief nap before releasing the ball..but he hasn't made alot of the panic throws under pressure that he had in the past.

Back to Jets/Giants..I have to admit the parallels from last year's Super Bowl concern me a bit. The Giants have definitely mirrored last year's Pats team with the exception of the one loss, while the Jets have kind of emerged from early struggles to turn it on. I disagree that the Pats held such a significant advantage in the matchups last year, as I had a feeling from the start that the Giants could at least successfully rush Brady and get pressure on him.

I wouldn't count out the Jets by any means, but right now the Giants are simply a better team by at least a touchdown if they play their best possible game.

It sure would be an amazing game though..I'd love for it to happen. Oh, and Springsteen is performing at halftime. Irony can be so ironic...

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:49 AM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I dont hate the Jets, and never have. They're my CLEAR number two team. The rivalry between teams has never been as intense as some of the others, so I dont feel the need to pick between the two either.

I'd love a Jets/Giants bowl. Mostly because it'd be a big show up to all the other markets... that NYC is the center of the world [=P].

Boston can shut it... no more Pats, hopefully the Celts and Sox get rocked this year too, and maybe we can see something just insane like a Giants/Jets bowl, the Yanks back to form, and the Rangers get at -least- to the finals.... hopefully?

Just saying. As much as I cant stand the Piles or the Devs... part of me would rather see THEIR fans celebrate a cup win then some place like San Jose or something.

Then again, I live in TX, and cant stand this place or anything about it... so Im NY till I die.

But like I was explaining to a friend of mine... the Mets and Yanks and the Jets and Gmen are in different divisions... so as we all know, their records dont directly screw up one or the other.... but you know... Devs, Isles, Rangers.... there's some difficulty right there.

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote