HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stempniak to Toronto for....

Old
11-24-2008, 05:22 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to On Axis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
hey guys, is it true that Stempinak pissed of management somehow to warrant a trade.
I haven't heard anything along those lines. Lee seems like a good guy, don't know how he could've pissed them off

On Axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:25 PM
Theron
#beauty

Send a message via ICQ to Theron Send a message via AIM to Theron Send a message via MSN to Theron Send a message via Yahoo to Theron Send a message via Skype™ to Theron
I think Steen will do great in st. louis

i wish him and cola the best of luck

Steen was probaly my fav leaf behind Schenn ... sad too see him goo

I need a new jersey now

Theron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:27 PM
TerminatorBlue

How is our team going to react to this? we have 4 of our best players hurt,we are on a bit of a winning streak and only a few points out of the playoffs spot....could this hurt our teams chemistry and moral?

Stemps was a reliable player who was there every night when the rest of our players see a guy like him get traded for no real reason it could hurt us as a team.I'm afraid we won't get the effort from our guys we had the last two nights.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
cassius

I don't like this trade from a St. Louis perspective.

You trade away a home-grown player who is a fan favorite away for two projects. It just doesn't make sense.

Steen has some upside, but best case scenario he's a 2nd/3rd line center. Toronto isn't exactly bursting with depth in the center position and Steen was playing behind guys like Grabovski and Stajan

Coliacovo cannot stay healthy and I think he's a waste of a roster spot. Please make sure there are no banana peels laying around at St. Louis airport.

cassius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Dawit49

Sooooooooooo, how do we get Sundin to center Steen?

Dawit49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 05:54 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
From some comments by JD in the Tribune, he kept talking about TJ Oshie being one of the reasons this trade makes sense. It makes me think maybe they envisions TJ moving to wing on the 2nd line and taking Stempniak's spot...and letting Steen play on the 3rd line.

That makes sense to me. Oshie needs more ice time, and good things happen when he's on the ice out there.

I like Stempniak as a great team player, but I do think he isn't going to develop into much more than his is....and my hope is that this level wouldn't be enough to cut a top 6 spot on the Blues in a year or two. If that's the case, he's probably going to be overpaid. His value in trade is probably maxed out right now, so its a good time to move him.

I wish him well in Toronto.

If Coliacovo can get healthy and avoid his string of bad luck, he could be a great asset to the Blues immediately, as offensive defensemen are in short supply. It gives the team flexibility to demote Wagner and ultimately help out his development in Peoria.

I think the move works out well, opens up room for Oshie in a Top 6 position, gives Steen a fresh low-pressure start and puts Coliacovo in a situation where he can actually play and contribute. Steen will center the 3rd line. Its not that Oshie can't play center, but he doesn't have to. He just needs to be on the ice more. This would put him out there with Perron and Berglund. Oh man...I LOOOOOVE that line.

How many years are left on each of their contracts? I'm interested in how this positions the Blues in terms of re-signing the youngsters in coming seasons.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:05 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
From some comments by JD in the Tribune, he kept talking about TJ Oshie being one of the reasons this trade makes sense. It makes me think maybe they envisions TJ moving to wing on the 2nd line and taking Stempniak's spot...and letting Steen play on the 3rd line.

That makes sense to me. Oshie needs more ice time, and good things happen when he's on the ice out there.

I like Stempniak as a great team player, but I do think he isn't going to develop into much more than his is....and my hope is that this level wouldn't be enough to cut a top 6 spot on the Blues in a year or two. If that's the case, he's probably going to be overpaid. His value in trade is probably maxed out right now, so its a good time to move him.

I wish him well in Toronto.

If Coliacovo can get healthy and avoid his string of bad luck, he could be a great asset to the Blues immediately, as offensive defensemen are in short supply. It gives the team flexibility to demote Wagner and ultimately help out his development in Peoria.

I think the move works out well, opens up room for Oshie in a Top 6 position, gives Steen a fresh low-pressure start and puts Coliacovo in a situation where he can actually play and contribute. Steen will center the 3rd line. Its not that Oshie can't play center, but he doesn't have to. He just needs to be on the ice more. This would put him out there with Perron and Berglund. Oh man...I LOOOOOVE that line.

How many years are left on each of their contracts? I'm interested in how this positions the Blues in terms of re-signing the youngsters in coming seasons.
Steen has one more year on his contract after this season with a cap hit of 1.7 million, and he will be a RFA. Colaiacovo has one more year after this season with a 1.28 million cap hit, afterwards he will be an UFA.

Old
11-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Rand

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Minute Minor View Post
Steen is making 1.7M and is signed through 09-10, and will be a RFA at that point.

Colaiacovo is making 1.4M (Cap hit of 1.283M though), also signed through 09-10 and will be an UFA at that point. Same season Stempniak is due for UFA.

11-24-2008, 06:15 PM
General Veers

I see this as very risky. We're going to need a lot of good fortune for this to work out, and with the way the fickle lot that is the hockey gods have been treating us lately, it could be a disaster. At least JD was clear on the logic behind this move.
What a way for Stemps to go out too, scoring an overtime winner! Good luck Lee!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:29 PM
TMLeafer
Bring him home.

If Carlo can stay healthy, he's a great player to have. He plays with heart and plays well! Steen, VERY STREAKY. He's strong on his skates, but way too invisible most nights.

I'm really hoping both of them find their game/fitness with the Blues.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:53 PM
TMLeafer
Bring him home.

http://mapleleafs.nhl.tv/team/consol...d=802&id=26352

Brad Boyes is one of Carlo's best friends.

TMLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:54 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

potentially:

coliaicovo has great hands and skates well
he could be a top scoring defenseman

steen has speed and good hands and shows flashes (but not this yr) of being first line material

they were both high picks and counted on to be key parts of the leafs future....until... new management took over and decided to dump all the potential assets from previous management, except the one's that have played well the first 20 games (kaberle,antropov,ponikarovsky,stajan,white.... they're all thats left from previous management)
i suspect they'd be gone too if they hadn't played well enough. white was a healthy scratch for almost 3 weeks earlier in the season)

coliaicovo gets hurt alot, no idea why (his conditioning wasnt good apparently)
steen is so damn soft, he's one of those gifted guys that can just magically disappear out of the play

why was stepniak available ?

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:55 PM
Berglund1313

Steen is alot better then what ppl give him credit for i think him and Oshie would shutdown any line in NHL he is a very good 2way player.

Berglund1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:12 PM
zeke
#freewilly

There's a decent chance that this trade becomes an outright steal for you guys.

Steen, even though he's been ice cold this year, has every bit the offensive upside of Stemps, and if Cola can stay healthy, he'll be challenging Brewer for top minutes on the defense corps.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
thrillhous

I guess the Blues thought it was time to "sell high" with Stemp.

thrillhous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:39 PM
ChicagoBlues

I haven't read this yet on this thread, but in other threads, articles and blogs (including Eklund) I've read that the trade of Stempniak would possibly open the door to a Shanahan signing. This opens doors for no one. The roster spot is immediately taken by Steen plus we take on an extra $500k in cap hits.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:41 PM
Dr Turk

Ugh. I dunno how I feel about this, the maple leafs have always been one of my favorite teams and I was completely blind sided by this..... I dont know, I love getting Carlo, he should do great here, but steen? never been a big fan. The thing I hate most about this is trading Stemps the way hes been playing. But eh, I guess this was a good move It fulfills ourneed for an offensive Dman. Steen is a risky move but I cant wait to see Carlo in action.

Brewer-Polak
Jackman-Colaiacovo

I like it, though I cant really see how steen fits in, I guess moving oshie up to second makes the most sense.

Last edited by Dr Turk: 11-24-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Dr Turk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:47 PM
BlueNhockeytown

To bad Brewer was not part of this deal

Love Stempy, but I kind of see what JD is trying to do here.

BlueNhockeytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:06 PM
General Veers

Meet the newest Blues.
Also, note what Cola says when told he's going to a "place where hockey isn't exactly number one."
It's at the 6:30 mark!

General Veers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:07 PM
On Axis
Mad Vlad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTurkelton View Post
Ugh. I dunno how I feel about this, the maple leafs have always been one of my favorite teams and I was completely blind sided by this..... I dont know, I love getting Carlo, he should do great here, but steen? never been a big fan. The thing I hate most about this is trading Stemps the way hes been playing. But eh, I guess this was a good move It fulfills ourneed for an offensive Dman. Steen is a risky move but I cant wait to see Carlo in action.

Jackman-Colaiacovo
Brewer-Polak

I like it, though I cant really see how steen fits in, I guess moving oshie up to second makes the most sense.
I hate to see him go too, but if they were set on trading the General, now was a pretty good time. They held on to him after his 27 goal campaign (I don't blame the Blues), and his value subsequently took a nose dive the next season. Now his value has risen back up, and they took advantage of it.

Old
11-24-2008, 09:31 PM
SyracuseBulldogs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoBlues View Post
I haven't read this yet on this thread, but in other threads, articles and blogs (including Eklund) I've read that the trade of Stempniak would possibly open the door to a Shanahan signing. This opens doors for no one. The roster spot is immediately taken by Steen plus we take on an extra $500k in cap hits.
Shanny will not be signing with the Blues.

SyracuseBulldogs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:39 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseBulldogs View Post
Shanny will not be signing with the Blues.

Uhhhhhh.....yeah. That's precisely my point.

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:20 PM
Randall Ritchey
The Fourth Period

I like his reaction to the "place where hockey isn't exactly number one."

"We'll make it number one." I did like that. I'm calming down and this could work out nice IF he stays healthy.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:53 PM
seventieslord

Anytime my Leafs make a trade the first thing I like to do is go to the hfboards section of the team we traded with, to see the reactions. I watch the Leafs religiously and I think we won this deal pretty handily.

Steen has some offensive potential but he is already 24 and has not broken out. He will probably never be the 60 point, two-way force we hoped for, but he could be a 40 point second line support player. he thinks the game pretty well and although he's not tough at all, he is durable, decent defensively, and not easily intimidated.

Colaiacovo seems to play whatever kind of game his coach wants him to. In 2005-06, he was the Leafs' best hitting defenseman. His high profile hits on Guerin, Bertuzzi, Svatos, and Comrie endeared him to all of us. Unfortunately, it was this kamikaze style that proved his undoing when he attempted to hit a Senator player late in the season (Varada, I think) and flew awkwardly into the boards. Apparently, Quinn wanted him to play that way. When maurice came in, his game noticeably settled down. In 2006-07, Colaiacovo actually led the Leafs' defensemen in even strength goals per even strength minute. And by a wide margin, too. this is on a team with Kaberle and Mccabe and Kubina.

Colaiacovo is a very poor man's Al Iafrate - all the tools, no toolbox, and very injury prone. He can skate, he can shoot, he can hit, just not as good as Al could, and he is a lot smaller. Steen would best be described as a poor Man's Thomas Steen. His dad was great in both ends, but not elite.

There comes a time when you have to dismiss the idea of bad luck and just declare a player brittle. Colaiacovo is brittle. the wide variety of injuries he has sustained is breathtaking,and when you look at how little hockey he has really played in the past 6 years compared to his contemporaries, it is amazing that he has kept up his skills enough to be in the NHL at all.

They are both great young men, and I wish them well. If I was a betting man, I would bet that you'll get more of the same from both players. Stempniak is nothing too special either, but his stats this year look great so far - it surprises me that the Blues would trade a player on such a hot streak.

I'm a proud member of tank nation and I want the 1st overall pick. I'm also as critical of management as you'll find in a Leafs fan. Still, I like this trade for the leafs. We traded two uncertain young assets for one that is better and more certain. The trade makes us better in the future, and I can accept that it will probably also make us better in the present (we can address that problem in the Kaberle, kubina, Toskala deadline deals though )

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:05 AM
MU_Beerman

The litany of injuries to Coli is cautionary, but remember this: Jay Mckee was NHL ironman material before coming to the Blues and promptly missed almost 2 whole seasons (and he sucks, but I digress). Maybe the Tiger sheds his stripes, stranger things have happened.

MU_Beerman is online now   Reply With Quote