HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stempniak to Toronto for....

Old
11-25-2008, 05:47 AM
bustoff

vCash: 500
I'm hoping a 'change of scenery' really plays into this trade. Ya never know.

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:08 AM
wildone26*

Dumb trade for you guys. Steen is a bust who will probably struggle on the 4th line, and there isnt even room for Carlo in the Blues defence lineup so he will be a healthy scratch almost every game.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:20 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Atleast? I'd take a 3rd. Maybe JD and our scout see something in Steen. Like the Toronto people say he's been paired with grinders. Like I said I am unsure what to think of this deal. However I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
I suppose. The more I think on this deal, the more I wonder if JFJrs voice had a little something to do with this deal and I also have to wonder what JKs opinion of the deal was. Interesting also how they pointed out that these are all former Leafs 1st round picks (2000-2002) and it could just be the fact that these guys buckled under the pressure of playing under the microscope that is Toronto.

I still don't like the message this sends the rest of the team, or really to the fans but I'll stay on the fence. Now if Cola does spend a significant time as a healthy scratch this season, there is going to be lynchings.

WalterSobchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:49 AM
bustoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashfan24 View Post
Dumb trade for you guys. Steen is a bust who will probably struggle on the 4th line, and there isnt even room for Carlo in the Blues defence lineup so he will be a healthy scratch almost every game.
Carlo is a upgrade over Wagner or Weaver.

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
wildone26*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
Carlo is a upgrade over Wagner or Weaver.
He is better then Weaver but Weaver is already sitting. I doubt he would play over either Woywitka or Wagner. It will take another injury to get him into the lineup so basically he is a waste.

Steen is more useful but almost a waste too.

wildone26* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:05 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
Carlo is a upgrade over Wagner or Weaver, when healthy.
fixed.

Old
11-25-2008, 07:06 AM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
He is better then Weaver but Weaver is already sitting. I doubt he would play over either Woywitka or Wagner. It will take another injury to get him into the lineup so basically he is a waste.

Wagner will find himself in Peoria by the weekend.

Old
11-25-2008, 09:26 AM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 50
Quote:

No way Wagner stays up as soon as Colaiacovo is available. This trade addresses the teams biggest need, offensive defenseman. Its not the ideal guy, but the price was not inordinate. I think everyone would agree that IF (capital letters) healthy Cola can help the Blues.

Steen won't be expected to do anything more than third line duties, probably centering while Oshie moves to wing on the 2nd line. Steen maybe takes Oshie's spot on the PK and Oshie gets PP time. In the meantime, Steen has a chance to prove he's a legit NHL guy and there is the offchance he reclaims his potential. I'm not counting on it, and neither are the Blues.

I think chances are good that either Cola or Steen improves their stock with the change of scenery.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:09 AM
ugotmybeef*

Hey Boyes shined for you guys, Steen and Coli could do the same.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Robb_K

Quote:
Huh??? Colo (if he's healthy enough to be dressed) had BETTER play over Wagner, or we need new management!

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:41 AM
zeke
#freewilly

You guys grabbed Cola at the best possible time.

Yes, he's had injury problems before.....but this year is the first year ever that he's avoided any knee or groin problems all the way back to pre-training camp training. This is the first year he's ever come in fully healthy from the start.

Sure, he took a shot off the foot last game, but that's nothing to be worried about. He's been totally clear of any worrying injuries this year, from the very start....whereas in previous years, he was always coming back too early from injuries and trying to play through them.

And don't worry, not only is he better than your bottom pair defenders, he has a very good shot at being a top-pair defender for you guys.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Kidding onthe Square

We needed another center and puck moving D man.

Corliacovloiano or however you pronounce his name is a very good d man once he gets going. He's a good skater, good passer, good hitter. He has proven to be a little injury prone through out his pro career but he will learn to protect himself as he matures.

Steen is a very good hockey player. Everyone gets wrapped up in expectation and draft number vs stats and calls him a bust. Steen is a very good hockey player, the kind of hockey player teams need to win. Also this team needed a center to send Stastny down when the team is healthy.

Kariya - McDonald - Boyes
Tkachuk - Berglund - Perron
Regier - Steen - Backes
King - McClement - Janssen/Crombeen

I like the look of that line up.

Kidding onthe Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:03 PM
SneakerPimp82

Send a message via AIM to SneakerPimp82
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassius View Post
I don't like this trade from a St. Louis perspective.

You trade away a home-grown player who is a fan favorite away for two projects. It just doesn't make sense.

Steen has some upside, but best case scenario he's a 2nd/3rd line center. Toronto isn't exactly bursting with depth in the center position and Steen was playing behind guys like Grabovski and Stajan

Coliacovo cannot stay healthy and I think he's a waste of a roster spot. Please make sure there are no banana peels laying around at St. Louis airport.
I'm a huge Stempniak fan as well, but don't pretend like he wasn't a project either. Steen, despite his being a "3rd/4th line grinder" according to some on this thread, has outscored Stempniak 2 of their last 3 full seasons. Steen and Lee are a wash in my opinion, both are decent complimentary 2nd liners or very good 3rd liners. Stempniak will probably never hit 30 goals, but will be a steady 15-25 goal guy on a good team. And if you can trade that and get another 15-20 goal center AND a physical puck moving d-man, you do it everyday and twice on Sunday, especially when your team needs a center and a puck moving d-man.

I was initially disappointed, but this trade is a steal from the Blues standpoint.

SneakerPimp82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
macinr606

A new enviroment is going to do BOTH of these guys (Steen & Covo) real well. Don Cherry was just talking last week about how much upside there is to Covo and how poorly he's been handled. Also, Steen has looked real solid at times with great hockey sense. Getting out of the spotlight in TO could do wonders.

HockeyJackass.com thinks that St.Louis got the better end of this deal in the long run. Stempniak will have to live up to that $3.5M salary (cap hit is less, I know) next year.

http://www.hockeyjackass.com/Jackass..._Rounders.html

macinr606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
GaryU

As a Hawks fan, Thank you for trading Stempniak...He always seemed to know what he was doing vs. us..

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:40 PM
concept*

Quote:
Originally Posted by macinr606 View Post
HockeyJackass.com thinks that St.Louis got the better end of this deal in the long run. Stempniak will have to live up to that $3.5M salary (cap hit is less, I know) next year.

http://www.hockeyjackass.com/Jackass..._Rounders.html
Would that happen to be your site and article? That's easily one of the worst articles I've ever read. How do you screw up not one but TWO players' names? I mean, really...

concept* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:52 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axel View Post
I haven't heard anything along those lines. Lee seems like a good guy, don't know how he could've pissed them off
Taking the team to arbitration will do it, once a player does that don't be surprised to see him gone eventually.

I think you guys did well on this trade.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:06 PM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakerPimp82 View Post
I was initially disappointed, but this trade is a steal from the Blues standpoint.
I agree that I like the potential payoff of this trade, but I definitely wouldn't call this a steal, at least not yet. It's a trade that depends so much on how everyone plays. Even if Colaiacovo struggles with injuries and Steen turns in just twenty more points this year and Stempniak hits 50 points again, I don't think you can call it a bad trade even at that point. Because trades of guys in their early to mid 20's, between non-playoff teams, are not decided by 60 games.

If the Leafs don't make the playoffs this year or next, and Stempniak signs somewhere else, but Steen signs here and becomes a solid contributor of 15 goals and 40 points and is strong defensively, I bet a lot are going to look back on this trade and be surprised at their initial reaction. If Steen improves or Colaiacovo stays off the IR, it's even more dramatic.

It's a good trade for Toronto, no doubt. But it's a risky trade for the Blues. That risk could hurt them, or it could really pay off. As a fan, it's easy to get wrapped up in the guy you had to give up before the returning player(s) even play.

Now, I'm not going to go and bash or diminish Stempniak at all. What I am going to do is put things in perspective. 6 assists of his 3 goals and 10 assists were powerplay assists. That certainly is legitimate. Lee did well on the point in the absence of a quarterback. He did a very good job at keeping the puck in the zone sometimes. But I only recall one of those assists being what I'd call "quality" assists. I know they all count. And it doesn't have to look nice. But four or five of those powerplay assists came basically because the Blues lack powerplay-capable defensive depth and because of good shooting by everyone else. If the powerplay goes on a major skid without him, then we have something to talk about.

Also, without Stempniak, the Blues went 3-1 this year. Again, not very significant. Combine that with the fact that 6 of his 13 points came in TWO games. Plus, most of his "hot streak" points are directly attributable to Perron and/or Berglund.

Don't misunderstand. I'm not calling him a leech or saying he's not good. Stempniak is one of my favorite players. However, I think he's been an opportunistic player on an injury-riddled team this year, and his points and "hot streak" are a little deceiving.
What the Blues really needed was for Stempniak to score goals, and he's been pretty mediocre at that for well over a season now. I value his other traits as a player, and he seems to be a great guy. But I think everybody looks at 27 goals! two years ago and Steen somehow can't stack up. But the Blues traded from a strength on wing, to shore up a weakness at center. And, once again, that doesn't even take Colaiacovo into consideration.

rumrokh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:38 PM
Bigaml13

someone said this before but cola and boyes are very good friends from their days playing in the ohl. this might be exactly what he needs to prove himself

Bigaml13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:39 PM
WalterSobchak
Blues Trololol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidding onthe Square View Post
We needed another center and puck moving D man.

Corliacovloiano or however you pronounce his name is a very good d man once he gets going. He's a good skater, good passer, good hitter. He has proven to be a little injury prone through out his pro career but he will learn to protect himself as he matures.

Steen is a very good hockey player. Everyone gets wrapped up in expectation and draft number vs stats and calls him a bust. Steen is a very good hockey player, the kind of hockey player teams need to win. Also this team needed a center to send Stastny down when the team is healthy.

Kariya - McDonald - Boyes
Tkachuk - Berglund - Perron
Regier - Steen - Backes
King - McClement - Janssen/Crombeen

I like the look of that line up.

I am not sure when thse lines are supposed to be for...but considering King is out for the season and McDonald 2 months...I have to ask: Seen Stam....errrr Oshie?

Last edited by WalterSobchak: 11-25-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old
11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
sgupca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluester View Post
Atleast? I'd take a 3rd. Maybe JD and our scout see something in Steen. Like the Toronto people say he's been paired with grinders. Like I said I am unsure what to think of this deal. However I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.
When the trade happened I thought we'd at least have a 2nd or 3rd pick coming our way.

If you guys put Steen on one of your top 2 lines you will be very surprised. This kid is full of un-tapped talent, he'll fit in nicely!

and Carlo is a top 4 defender, great deal for you guys! and we get Stemps!!

sgupca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:52 PM
ChicagoBlues

Quote:
Thanks for the support nashfan. Carlo is more like unhealthy because of a scratch.

Seriously, though, it seems clear you have no idea what you're talking about. We will make room for him.

Quote:

He is better than Weaver.....

ChicagoBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:02 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Colaiacovo is far superior to Woywitka, that I know.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Celtic Note
Thanks very little

Woywitka will be out of here either before the season ends or right after. Weaver is protection when injuries occur.
Wagner needs to spend time working on his game in the AHL.

So, we can and will make space.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:24 PM
wpghockey

I think in Steen you are getting a guy who, if given the opportunity, can produce offensively. He has been hampered by playing on grind-lines due to Maurice trying giving ponikarovsky and blake way too much PP time.

Brad Boyes....Toronto's 1st round pick in 2000 (24th overall).
Alex Steen....Toronto's 1st round pick in 2002 (24th overall).

It's pretty obvious that the Leafs have no skill at developing whatever young talent they draft.

Give him a chance and he will prove he can find his offensive touch again. If not, you're getting a John Madden type guy who plays with heart and grit and can play a great all-around game.

wpghockey is offline   Reply With Quote