HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

R.E: MTL Residents - All Star Voting

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-19-2008, 11:32 PM
  #1
Serenade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
R.E: MTL Residents - All Star Voting

I had made a facsimile thread on the main board, but it just turned into people take shots at Habs' fans, which isn't what I wanted.This was my first post in my original thread.

Quote:
At this instant, a Canadien player holds a spot securely in place with around a 1/4 million votes on the East. There is a similar disparity in the West with the Wings, but we'll forget for the time being.

Now, I can understand Habs' fans in general voting in support of their team. What I cannot understand are the Habs' fans who live in Montreal voting for them.

With the Centennial, this is a big year for them no doubt. The spirits are running high and everyone should enjoy every moment. However, if your city is going to host the All Star Game, why would you want the entire East roster to be all Habs players? This is an opportunity, to see the leagues best play at the Bell Centre as opposed what gets seen there regularly.

Specifically, I wanna know what Habs' fans from Montreal think. The rest, keep the commentary polite and minimal, as it really doesn't have a place here and serves to instigate a flame war.

Again, My question is for Habs' fans who live in Montreal ONLY. To make it clear I don't want to discuss if they are deserving or not that's not the point of this thread. Just how would you enjoy the event more?

Since the even is being held in Montreal, wouldn't you want all the best players from the east instead any entire line of Habs players instead?

My argument is that the fans see those players at the Bell Centre all the time anyway.

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:35 PM
  #2
Serenade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Posted by m00ks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post
Polite and minimal....useless comment. It doesn't contribute to anything and its unnecessarily rude.

I've considered a exploit, but I didn't know it was reported. Still the question still stands, as a Montrealer do you really want only habs players on the east roster?
That's pushing it a bit, no? 6 players roughly make up an entire roster. We're excited about the centennial season, it's in our city, of course we want to see our players participate. It's not like we're also voting dead wood.

---------------------------------

The one person who stuck to the topic with out turing it into a P*ss*ng Match. Though I'd add it here.

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:36 PM
  #3
Serenade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeye View Post
I'm not voting, cause I think the whole thing has become a joke, but if I were to vote, I'd try to get Kovalev (for the skills competition) and Markov into the ASG. Besides that, I'm not sure anyone from Montreal should be there, except maybe Price. Komisarek definitely not, that would in fact be a total disgrace. Koivu and Tanguay are ok, but someone like Malkin, Ovechkin, Semin etc should never be left out because of them.
And him...

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 11:54 PM
  #4
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenade View Post


Again, My question is for Habs' fans who live in Montreal ONLY.
Do we have to live in Montreal or just being a Habs fan is ok?

SergeConstantin74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 12:01 AM
  #5
JHabs
HFB Partner
 
JHabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,333
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to JHabs
I want montreal players to play in montreal, it would make it more exciting. If the best players are really the best then they should consider a new fan base if we are beating them so bad in votes. Not my problem if Habs players are in the lead in voting, they should be there.

JHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:09 PM
  #6
mikeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
First of all, Habs fans love their hockey team. Take a walk around the city, you won't see many people in other teams jersey's. Besides, you see these players from other teams on any given day on TV, and they come by every now and then to play us.

Secondly, the fact that we actually have a bunch of players on the ballot is a big help as well. I don't recall ever having this many on any all-star ballot before, so there's a lot of excitement here to vote for guys with talent.

Third, we're quite obnoxious as fans, and nothing would please us more than to have our starting lineup announced to the world and cheer in the way that only 21,256 maniac Habs fans can.

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:13 PM
  #7
terreur
Registered User
 
terreur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,738
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
First of all, Habs fans love their hockey team. Take a walk around the city, you won't see many people in other teams jersey's. Besides, you see these players from other teams on any given day on TV, and they come by every now and then to play us.

Secondly, the fact that we actually have a bunch of players on the ballot is a big help as well. I don't recall ever having this many on any all-star ballot before, so there's a lot of excitement here to vote for guys with talent.

Third, we're quite obnoxious as fans, and nothing would please us more than to have our starting lineup announced to the world and cheer in the way that only 21,256 maniac Habs fans can.
21273

terreur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:26 PM
  #8
Serenade
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 533
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
Do we have to live in Montreal or just being a Habs fan is ok?
I guess if you are going to be attending the event than its ok. Other than not really...I really want to see what residents have to say


nice replies so far, keep it coming.

Serenade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:29 PM
  #9
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,165
vCash: 50
I would actually go out of my way to watch the event rather than turning it on if I have nothing else to do.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
  #10
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarfangor View Post
I want montreal players to play in montreal, it would make it more exciting. If the best players are really the best then they should consider a new fan base if we are beating them so bad in votes. Not my problem if Habs players are in the lead in voting, they should be there.
Wow, best argument I've heard on the subject.

Having all starters as the Habs would make other team's star players think.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 01:50 PM
  #11
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,443
vCash: 500
You have to remember that only a minority of the fans will actually be AT the game so even if it's in montreal, alot of us will watch it on TV like the rest of the hockey fans. So the fact of seeing other players just because it's in our city doesn't stand.

However, aside from that, I agree that it would be better to have guys like Malkin and Ovechkin instead of Tanguay and Koivu, but again, it's not because the game is in Montreal, it's just because they simply deserve it more.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:03 PM
  #12
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
You have to remember that only a minority of the fans will actually be AT the game so even if it's in montreal, alot of us will watch it on TV like the rest of the hockey fans. So the fact of seeing other players just because it's in our city doesn't stand.

However, aside from that, I agree that it would be better to have guys like Malkin and Ovechkin instead of Tanguay and Koivu, but again, it's not because the game is in Montreal, it's just because they simply deserve it more.
Malkin and Ovechkin will be there.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:06 PM
  #13
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCH View Post
Malkin and Ovechkin will be there.
Isn't there a rule that every team should have at least one player? If the habs take all the spots for the starting lineup, they will have to chose between crosby malkin gonchar, ovechkin semin green, etc. So even if Malkin and Ovechkin go to the all-star, Crosby and Semin wont.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:10 PM
  #14
the_crippler12
Registered User
 
the_crippler12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Boucherville
Country: Canada
Posts: 603
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Isn't there a rule that every team should have at least one player? If the habs take all the spots for the starting lineup, they will have to chose between crosby malkin gonchar, ovechkin semin green, etc. So even if Malkin and Ovechkin go to the all-star, Crosby and Semin wont.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/51st_Na..._All-Star_Game no habs player

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...urn=nhl,122914


Last edited by the_crippler12: 11-20-2008 at 02:16 PM.
the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:19 PM
  #15
Freaky Habs Fan
Registered User
 
Freaky Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: New-Brunswick
Posts: 9,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliash View Post
Isn't there a rule that every team should have at least one player? If the habs take all the spots for the starting lineup, they will have to chose between crosby malkin gonchar, ovechkin semin green, etc. So even if Malkin and Ovechkin go to the all-star, Crosby and Semin wont.
The actual vote is a popular vote...not who deserves to me there more...

With that in mind, if the habs players are the most popular, then be it. Of course some stars will not go because of that, but at least, it will give fans and Habs player the chance to go at the all-star game. Players like Malkin, Crosby, Ovy will be there every year so...

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:32 PM
  #16
Newhabfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,973
vCash: 500
Dear Mr. Serenade,

I really don't like your post(s). That being said in a totally polite and minimal way of course. There are a lot of insinuations in your post(s) that clearly express your position on this issue. And you also seem to have such strong opinions that no matter what we tell you they won't change...which bring questions about the purpose of this thread. But I digress.

BTW - why would only Montreal based opinions be worthy of note? beats me.

We don't want the "full roster" to be Hab, as you claim, but just the starting line. Plenty of room for the "really best players" as you suggest.

We are playing the game exactly by the rules it was always played and intended to. In a very legit manner too. The whole bot voting issue was completely the NHL's fault and was favouring all fanbases in an equal manner. Even after they added all the fraud prevention options we are still gaining votes more then any other team.

And let this be clear for you and others. We are one of the best (if not the best) hockey fanbase. The game is here and we are in our centennial year. No matter if Koivu and Kovy will be at -30, I will still vote for them 20 times per day during the next month. Cause, you know, this is what real fans do. Most are like me btw - don't let a few threads here fool you.

oh...I'm sorry - I wasn't minimal enough it seems. But hey, neither were you.

Newhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:41 PM
  #17
redmachine54
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 677
vCash: 500
Fans vote for their favorite players. If their favorite players happen to all be Canadiens, then so be it. If it bothers the rest of the fans of the league, vote against it.

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. The prospect of cheaters voting, sure, but other than that... who cares? A lot of Canadiens fans of the previous two all-star games voted in an all-Canadien line-up, and nobody complained; now that they're doing it in droves, it's a problem?

My votes don't involve all Canadiens, BTW (though I've only voted twice). I just don't see the big fuss.

redmachine54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 02:45 PM
  #18
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhabfan View Post
Dear Mr. Serenade,

I really don't like your post(s). That being said in a totally polite and minimal way of course. There are a lot of insinuations in your post(s) that clearly express your position on this issue. And you also seem to have such strong opinions that no matter what we tell you they won't change...which bring questions about the purpose of this thread. But I digress.

BTW - why would only Montreal based opinions be worthy of note? beats me.

We don't want the "full roster" to be Hab, as you claim, but just the starting line. Plenty of room for the "really best players" as you suggest.

We are playing the game exactly by the rules it was always played and intended to. In a very legit manner too. The whole bot voting issue was completely the NHL's fault and was favouring all fanbases in an equal manner. Even after they added all the fraud prevention options we are still gaining votes more then any other team.

And let this be clear for you and others. We are one of the best (if not the best) hockey fanbase. The game is here and we are in our centennial year. No matter if Koivu and Kovy will be at -30, I will still vote for them 20 times per day during the next month. Cause, you know, this is what real fans do. Most are like me btw - don't let a few threads here fool you.

oh...I'm sorry - I wasn't minimal enough it seems. But hey, neither were you.
Right on dude. I think im gonna like ya.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:12 PM
  #19
ppil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 634
vCash: 500
Ok, I'll try to put out some facts even if I know it won't change anything.

First you got to consider the numbers :

Lets say there are 1 500 000 habs fan in Quebec (cause it concerns every fan from the province of Quebec and not only resident of Montreal)

Lets say about 5% of them have voted for the all star game at least once = 75 000 votes

Lets say about 5% of the voters have vote every day for 10 times a day and they are the one who are voting for all 6 habs players = 3 750 voters * 10 time a day * 8 days !? = 300 000 votes.

300 000 votes is what Markov has and I'm pretty sure a lot of fans of other teams have voted for him so my numbers are inflated. I know the numbers aren't probably right, but you see how easy it is for a small group of people to get some players to the all star game.

What the numbers are showing is that if around 0,5 % of habs fan think it would be funny to have a starting line-up made of habs player in the all-star game for the 100 years of the habs, they can easily do it by voting 10 times a day for those player…

This Logic is applied for every fan base :

Biron -> 21 089 votes (shouldn't really have votes this year)
Toskala -> 16 226 votes
Kaberle -> 39 626 (on so-so year)

Etc…

For every fan base, there are small groups who are voting for their players; it just happens that this year is a special year so there's a lot more habs fan then a lot of other teams…

Second, it doesn't change anything that the game will be held in Montreal. It's a pain in the *** to get tickets for a regular game for the habs so don't even think that a regular fan will get tickets. It will be a lot of companies and rich fans, the ones who don't spend their time voting on internet. The ones who are voting will watch the game on tv just like if it was anywhere else…

21 273 tickets / 1 500 000 fans (habs fans only, not even including fans of other teams who will attend the game) = so under 1,5% of habs fans will see the game live, the others will watch it on tv like if it was any other city.

So the "you always see them play, why vote for them" concern about 1,5% of the fans, for the others, it concerns them as much as it concerns fans of any other teams in the nhl who will watch this game on tv. And there are as much fans of other teams who are voting for their players without reason then there are habs fans who are doing it.

ppil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:17 PM
  #20
mikeg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by terreur View Post
21273
doh!

mikeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:21 PM
  #21
MastaK
 
MastaK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 825
vCash: 500
We vote for our players because we want to make history. Simple, no?

MastaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:47 PM
  #22
Habs8517
Registered User
 
Habs8517's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,162
vCash: 500
i feel sorry for the fans who put up the effort to vote
the nhl will find a way to screw us
buttman sucks

Habs8517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 03:52 PM
  #23
HockeyF3ind
Registered User
 
HockeyF3ind's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,812
vCash: 500
I guess people forget that the other slots to fill the team would be other top players from the East. Meaning The Kid, Ovy, Semin, Malkin, etc. are all making the All-star team, even if not through the voting.

HockeyF3ind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:03 PM
  #24
Dwight
The French Tickler
 
Dwight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,755
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
I guess people forget that the other slots to fill the team would be other top players from the East. Meaning The Kid, Ovy, Semin, Malkin, etc. are all making the All-star team, even if not through the voting.
Due to the that representative rule, one of those 4 won't be there.

12 F + 6 D + 3 G = 21

21 - 6 Habs = 15 spots for 14 other teams.

Each team has to have 1 player, so there's 1 spot open for Malkin to go in with Crosby or for Semin to go in with Ovechkin

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 05:23 PM
  #25
TheCH*
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeRo.O View Post
Due to the that representative rule, one of those 4 won't be there.

12 F + 6 D + 3 G = 21

21 - 6 Habs = 15 spots for 14 other teams.

Each team has to have 1 player, so there's 1 spot open for Malkin to go in with Crosby or for Semin to go in with Ovechkin
Who cares? Blame the people responsible for making the rules of getting to the all star game, not the fans who legitimately go about getting their fav. players in - just the same as any fan of any team can do.

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.