HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC U-20 Thread

Old
01-04-2009, 11:17 PM
flyersguy33*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post

The best I could do..........
9:11 JVR goal

He does have a ton of talent thats for sure
That goal is from the game the other day.

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Chainsaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersguy33 View Post
That goal is from the game the other day.
Sorry my bad.........

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

looking at the slovak game, JVR is on the ice for all the US goals, put in the pass for two breakaways, had a breakaway himself, and made the defense look silly on the last play of the game. Not a bad game for a team losing 5-3

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Ychocky

I am severely disappointed with the lack of video from the USA - Czech game.

I was in attendance and JVR scored the winner in OT with a through the legs finish.

It was a ballsy play and a hell of a way to finish a lackluster display by the US at the tourney.

The US outshot the Czech's but couldn't beat the Czech goalie more than once in the first two periods.

In the third the Czech's tied it up.

At this point things went to hell. Teddy Ruth and David Stich got into a nice little "fight" and were ejected.

Stitch was given a 5 min major and the US got the PP out of the mess, but Schroeder took a unnecessary run and jump at a Czech player to cancel out 2 mins of the PP.

On the 4 on 4 Roman scored to give the Czech's the lead.

After Schroeder's penalty expired the 5 min major continued and the US tied it up.

In OT James vanRiemsdyk scored the winner... NEED VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just read some more on what was posted here about the US and JVR.

I will honestly say JVR is a thinking man's hockey player. Every stride is calculated towards a simple goal (not an actual goal, but you know what I mean).

At one point he used the glass as a mirror to break into the zone just as the US gained the line and be alone in front for a pass.

He is a smart player and didn't let the Czech's get under his skin. It got pretty chippy...

That is a pic of some New Jersey pride...

Note the between the legs ownage. What a goal.

Last edited by Ychocky: 01-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Ychocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:14 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Are you talking about we who are excited as hell that our team is going for the gold? If so, I'll be a lady. But I think you can figure out what I'm thinking.

Edit: Billy, why do you even go over there? I wouldn't be caught dead on the main board. It only lowers your IQ when you bang your head against a wall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
I'm fine with you being excited for your team going for gold, I would be if the US was going but certainly not to this degree, I know these tournaments meant much more to Canadians than to Americans, but there are some Canadian fans who insist on rubbing it incessantly in our faces that they beat us and they dominate all.

Edit: Okay, my comment was out of line, I was mad in the heat of the moment, post deleted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Right, and American sports fans are perfect angels. Give me a break.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Unfortunately, there are morons all over. I've seen a few of those posts and they make me ill. And that would make me feel the same way you do.

I don't have a problem with fans being excited about their teams, but there is no excuse for that crap whatsoever.
You know, I don't have any problem at all about Canadian getting excited for their team and in fact, in any game they aren't playing the USA I cheer for them. I just can't understand why the ENTIRE arena was so anti USA in every game we played??? Please explain why there is so much hate for the USA kids??? Why do they boo our players, boo when the refs call a penalty on the other team, boo when we score a goal and CHEER whenever the other team does any of these things to us??? It happened in EVERY game, not just when we played Canada. It wasn't just a few fans when you can hear it on TV, IT'S LOUD and it's about everyone. THAT'S poor sportsmanship and it's disgusting. I would think that our brethern to the north would actually cheer for us as most of us down here cheer for you. Maybe if we constantly beat you then I could see some resentment but that's not the case. Hell, we rarely beat you guys and WE don't boo your team when you play here. Nobody can "justify" the disgusting way the USA team was booed in every game in Ottowa this year. If that's a representation of your country then I'd be ashamed. If this was the only time it ever happened I might write it off as just the fans in Ottowa but it happens every year in every city we play in when in Canada. Why are we such a threat you your national pride that you need to boo a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids????

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
You know, I don't have any problem at all about Canadian getting excited for their team and in fact, in any game they aren't playing the USA I cheer for them. I just can't understand why the ENTIRE arena was so anti USA in every game we played??? Please explain why there is so much hate for the USA kids??? Why do they boo our players, boo when the refs call a penalty on the other team, boo when we score a goal and CHEER whenever the other team does any of these things to us??? It happened in EVERY game, not just when we played Canada. It wasn't just a few fans when you can hear it on TV, IT'S LOUD and it's about everyone. THAT'S poor sportsmanship and it's disgusting. I would think that our brethern to the north would actually cheer for us as most of us down here cheer for you. Maybe if we constantly beat you then I could see some resentment but that's not the case. Hell, we rarely beat you guys and WE don't boo your team when you play here. Nobody can "justify" the disgusting way the USA team was booed in every game in Ottowa this year. If that's a representation of your country then I'd be ashamed. If this was the only time it ever happened I might write it off as just the fans in Ottowa but it happens every year in every city we play in when in Canada. Why are we such a threat you your national pride that you need to boo a bunch of 18 and 19 year old kids????
You want to know why?

Simple...idiots are everywhere. Please don't suggest that if the game were played in NYC (for example) that not one single American fan wouldn't boo the Canadian anthem. Please. There's no threat to our national pride. When it comes to being patriotic...Americans take the cake. Canadians aren't anywhere near as petriotic as you guys. When it comes to hockey, it's whole other ball of wax. I don't think you understand how big and important hockey is 'up' here. And for the record, that's no excuse for booing any anthem.

Also...let's not turn this into a Canada vs. United States debate about ignorance and other acts of idiocy.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 10:28 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
You want to know why?

Simple...idiots are everywhere. Please don't suggest that if the game were played in NYC (for example) that not one single American fan wouldn't boo the Canadian anthem. Please. There's no threat to our national pride. When it comes to being patriotic...Americans take the cake. Canadians aren't anywhere near as petriotic as you guys. When it comes to hockey, it's whole other ball of wax. I don't think you understand how big and important hockey is 'up' here. And for the record, that's no excuse for booing any anthem.

Also...let's not turn this into a Canada vs. United States debate about ignorance and other acts of idiocy.
I know just how importan hockey is in Canada and I was the first to defend Canada as the best in the world ALWAYS!!! I always considered it a farce when the NHLers weren't allowed in the Olympics and that once they were permitted and Canada won the gold, It was incredibly happy for the entire country. I swelled with pride for you. Being happy and cheering YOUR team is far far different than booing another team. I know there would ****** fans in NYC who would boo the Canadian team but it wouldn't be the entire arena as it was all tourny long in Ottowa this year and every year no matter where we play in Canada. Next year, when the games are player in Buffalo you won't hear the entire arena booing the Canadian team on TV. Even as upset as I was with the idiot fans booing our kids I still can't bring myself to route against the Candian kids. I still want you guys to win gold. I don't take joy in your failings as it appears many Canadians do.

Old
01-05-2009, 10:40 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Quote:
I know just how importan hockey is in Canada and I was the first to defend Canada as the best in the world ALWAYS!!! I always considered it a farce when the NHLers weren't allowed in the Olympics and that once they were permitted and Canada won the gold, It was incredibly happy for the entire country. I swelled with pride for you. Being happy and cheering YOUR team is far far different than booing another team. I know there would ****** fans in NYC who would boo the Canadian team but it wouldn't be the entire arena as it was all tourny long in Ottowa this year and every year no matter where we play in Canada. Next year, when the games are player in Buffalo you won't hear the entire arena booing the Canadian team on TV. Even as upset as I was with the idiot fans booing our kids I still can't bring myself to route against the Candian kids. I still want you guys to win gold. I don't take joy in your failings as it appears many Canadians do.
Fair enough, but I think it's a little ridiculous to insinuate that the entire arena was booing the anthem. That's a farce.

Last edited by Opus: 01-05-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 11:03 AM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
Fair enough, but I think it's a little ridiculous to insinuate that the entire arena was booing the anthem. That's a farce.
I know it wasn't everyone but it was a lot of it. I just can't understand what we (as a hockey nation and most specifically THESE kids) to make so many feel they need to boo like that. I know full well about what our team did to the lockerroom in Japan after we didn't even medal and I was embarrassed for the players and disgusted by their behavior. I felt that an investigation should have been done and ALL of the players involved should have been banned for life. They certainly aren't an indication of our country as a whole. I know all about how unfavorable our foreign policies are right now but this is just about hockey and some 18 and 19 year old kids. They have done nothing to diserve being treated this way.

I've coached sports for a long long time (over 25 years) and above everything else you play with sportsmanship, ALWAYS!!!! I know the fans on here would not be part of the ones booing (whether it was our Canadian brethern at a game in Canada or Americans in Buffalo next year) so maybe I'm talking to the wrong people because you see it as I do. I would certainly hope that you'd question the idiocy of us if we'd boo your kids this way too. I for one wouldn't be able to explain it and I'd be looking to kick the crap out of any fans I saw at a game doing this.

Old
01-05-2009, 11:08 AM
claude boivin lives
flat out spectacular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ychocky View Post
I am severely disappointed with the lack of video from the USA - Czech game.

I was in attendance and JVR scored the winner in OT with a through the legs finish.

It was a ballsy play and a hell of a way to finish a lackluster display by the US at the tourney.

The US outshot the Czech's but couldn't beat the Czech goalie more than once in the first two periods.

In the third the Czech's tied it up.

At this point things went to hell. Teddy Ruth and David Stich got into a nice little "fight" and were ejected.

Stitch was given a 5 min major and the US got the PP out of the mess, but Schroeder took a unnecessary run and jump at a Czech player to cancel out 2 mins of the PP.

On the 4 on 4 Roman scored to give the Czech's the lead.

After Schroeder's penalty expired the 5 min major continued and the US tied it up.

In OT James vanRiemsdyk scored the winner... NEED VIDEO!!!!!!!!!!

EDIT: Just read some more on what was posted here about the US and JVR.

I will honestly say JVR is a thinking man's hockey player. Every stride is calculated towards a simple goal (not an actual goal, but you know what I mean).

At one point he used the glass as a mirror to break into the zone just as the US gained the line and be alone in front for a pass.

He is a smart player and didn't let the Czech's get under his skin. It got pretty chippy...

That is a pic of some New Jersey pride...

Note the between the legs ownage. What a goal.
Thanks for the recap. Here's a vid of that JVR goal...not the greatest quality, but good enough...

claude boivin lives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

As much as I give JVR a hard time... I gotta say that goal was disgusting. Theres our second overall pick...

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Oh so he's gonna be a star in the NHL again?

Old
01-05-2009, 12:38 PM
FlyLife
Nuthin but a G Thang

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Thanks for the recap. Here's a vid of that JVR goal...not the greatest quality, but good enough...

That is a really nasty goal, and an amazing way to score an OT winner.

FlyLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
Ychocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by claude boivin lives View Post
Cheers for finding a video

It's even better than I remembered it live...

As far as the Anti-US crowds the one in Ottawa would cheer for anyone but the US.

I lived in the states for 5 years and I still have great respect for Americans despite clear differences in views etc... (not going get into that...)

I found it rather disrespectful to boo. The Canadian fans will have a true test tonight if the Swedes can pull it off. If they boo the Swedish anthem I'll have lost a lot of respect for my fellow Canadians.

I stayed at every game to hear the players of the game and respect the National anthem. It's an elite hockey tournament so we should treat all these kids the same. I hope the Kazaks don't get too discouraged.

EDIT: Now I'm just rambling....

Ychocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:08 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
that goal was absolutly disgusting.
I know it was the 5th place game, but at least the US showed some pride and didnt tank the game.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Oh so he's gonna be a star in the NHL again?
Im guessing your talking to me? For some reason whenever you type you sound like your really angry... I said he had a nice goal. No need to be rude. Never said he was a bust or anything so thanks.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 01:38 PM
chaosof99*

Holy ****ing ****. That's an insane goal.
Well, JVR scored 6 goals and 4 assists in 6 games. Sounds promising to me.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:37 PM
PF

Really pretty goal, enjoyed it and thanks for the video.

I don't really understand these people saying he doesn't care, it's total supposition on their part unless they heard it from JvR himself, whether or not others of his age, draft status or hair colour said so to their friends of friends. I don't know about anyone else but from my experience of competitive sport I wanted to win every game I ever played, always figured it was the same for the pros too.

Then again I'm not worried by a few off par performances in a tournament, these things happen, you still look at his stats and can safely say he didn't do too awful with 10 points in 6 games. Maybe he didn't run away with the competition but if that's a poor showing I'll take it and run.

Still as happy with the JvR pick as I was when we drafted him personally.

PF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im guessing your talking to me? For some reason whenever you type you sound like your really angry... I said he had a nice goal. No need to be rude. Never said he was a bust or anything so thanks.
Not directed at you personally, just at everyone who will now jump back on the JVR band wagon.

Old
01-05-2009, 03:25 PM
bodangleroo28

If people can complain about him scoring 10pts in 6 games, i would absolutely love to see what he would of scored if he was on his 'game'

bodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Not directed at you personally, just at everyone who will now jump back on the JVR band wagon.
Wow people are over sensitive. I don't see anyone that jumped off the so called JVR bandwagon with the exception of maybe BobbyClarkeFan16. Being concerned about his intensity level is not the same thing as jumping off the bangwagon or saying he is a bust.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:34 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Wow, what a goal! Thanks for posting that. I wish they'd shown that game on TV -- that's unreal.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Phlocky, I wish I could disagree with you and point out how the people who are attending the WJC games aren't idiots. But I can't.

I completely understand booing Tangradi for his antics vs Canada on New Year's Eve, while the game is going on. It's no different than a Flyers fan booing Crosby for diving or Holleweg when he was a Ranger for some of the crap he pulled.

But after the US/Canada game ends, there is no call for a Canadian fan to boo an American player. They've seen amazing games by all the participating teams (except maybe Kazahkstan) and should be cheering both teams.

Having said all that... Canada looks at the US like a sort of big brother. You know, the one you revel in beating at one thing, because you know he beats you at everything else? You're the first one to rip him for things he does, but when it comes right down to it, you're also the first one to stand up for him or beside him.

I'm not excusing the fans in Ottawa booing the US players, by any means. But that's a little bit of a glimpse of how Canadians view Americans.

Old
01-05-2009, 08:02 PM
John Flyers Fan

After watching Markstrom act like Greg Louganis all night, I'm quite happy that he isn't a Flyer.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-05-2009, 08:16 PM
CharlieGirl
Flyers Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
After watching Markstrom act like Greg Louganis all night, I'm quite happy that he isn't a Flyer.
No kidding. He's brutal tonight.

Canada has to stop taking these stupid penalties. They're going to get burned sooner or later.