HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WJC U-20 Thread

Old
12-31-2008, 08:52 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Another cheap shot to the head by Canada not called. The refs know who pays their salary, apparently.
There have been crappy calls and non-calls all over the place. But the US got screwed royally on the Boychuck goal.

JVR has been very, very quiet tonight.

However, JT has not. Toss your hats folks!!

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:56 PM
MsWoof

It's Tavares' coming out party for sure. So many (me included) had doubts about him but he's been great.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:56 PM
John Flyers Fan

Canada won because its more important to them to win. They know if they don't win the entire country will know and and they'll hear all about it. If the US loses, 99% of the country won't have a clue.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 08:57 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan View Post
Canada won because its more important to them to win. They know if they don't win the entire country will know and and they'll hear all about it. If the US loses, 99% of the country won't have a clue.
That's a weak excuse and I don't believe the players feel that way.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:03 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
It's a valid point for the most part. But I also believe the American players on the ice wanted this win as much as the Canadian players did.

But you're right -- the WJC is a huge deal in Canada, and far, far less in the States.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:04 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
thats sad, it really is, i dont understand why this country doesnt like hockey..... oh well. im in the 1% who does care. and the 1% who can care less about US Olympic Basketball, lmao. Im in the minority lol

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:10 PM
CharlieGirl
Summer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
An American player stuck his stick blade out from the bench as one of the Canadians was skating by and got him in the face. The JVR incident happened after, he was checked into the cameraman between the benches and might have gone into the gate as well.

They said the IIHF can review incidents after the game and suspend if they feel necessary. The American player wasn't even on the ice when he hit the Canadian in the face with his stick.

Can't wait for the second period.
It was Tangradi who stuck his stick out as the Canadian players were skating by. Not surprising.

And Della Rovere needed to have his butt stapled to the bench, or tossed from the game. He was an idiot with JVR and then with the check from behind.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:15 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
That's a weak excuse and I don't believe the players feel that way.
I didn't say it was an excuse for the US, just a fact. It's important for the US to win, it's life and death for the Canadians.

John Flyers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:15 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
JVR better step up his game and fix his attitude.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Opus
Boondoggle

vCash: 875
Proudly Canadian! What an awesome game...

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:25 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
I didn't say it was an excuse for the US, just a fact. It's important for the US to win, it's life and death for the Canadians.
The Canadians could also fold under the pressure of being expected to win year after year, and especially at home. The US also needs to start using more CHL players. Over the years, many of them in the CHL were deserving of spots on the team but were passed over for players in the US college system.

Old
12-31-2008, 09:27 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
I think one thing for sure is that Paul Holmgren is going to be begging and pleading for JVR to leave school and turn pro on January 6. I think the cakewalk he's had in college is a problem this season and it's showing up here. I think he's a bit frustrated he isn't dominating.
I agree with you, but I don't think he would sign anyway. He ignored every team's advice that told him not to go to UNH in the first place and he ignored Homer when he tried to sign him this summer. Kid's a great talent but you have to wonder if he is making the correct decisions.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 09:30 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
to the general US population no one knows this is going on. No one knows when the World Championships go on. Hell they dont even pay attention when the Olympics are on. No one will care if they win gold in 2010. 1980 was a different time. Thats why the NHL is on Verses. No one cares, and it sucks. I wish it were different, but this is a football (a rather irrelevant sport anywhere else in the world) and basketball obsessed nation. I get weird looks sometimes when I wear my bright orange mike richards jersey. lol. luckily the delaware valley has a solid core of hockey fans.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-31-2008, 10:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I agree with you, but I don't think he would sign anyway. He ignored every team's advice that told him not to go to UNH in the first place and he ignored Homer when he tried to sign him this summer. Kid's a great talent but you have to wonder if he is making the correct decisions.
I think he's going to be used as trade bait.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:00 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

so JVR has a tough couple of games and we want to throw out the choker, bust ********.
Sorry we didnt get that stud Kyle Turris.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:18 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStevensDotCom View Post
so JVR has a tough couple of games and we want to throw out the choker, bust ********.
Sorry we didnt get that stud Kyle Turris.

Voracek looks nice

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:20 AM
mm6492

I will wait til JvR plays in the NHl for over a year until I come near the word bust. He is no where near that

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:28 AM
Chainsaw

Games best Quote by
Bob Mackenzie
Quote:
"James VanReeksdyk"

Chainsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 12:54 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

I was reading the main boards about the game and then I randomly see Philly getting told we are classless again... and since we are classless the USA is classless. I was like "Um... where did that come from?"

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:01 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw View Post
Games best Quote by
Bob Mackenzie
stay classy Bob

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 01:56 AM
WhatsaMaatta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
It was Tangradi who stuck his stick out as the Canadian players were skating by. Not surprising.

And Della Rovere needed to have his butt stapled to the bench, or tossed from the game. He was an idiot with JVR and then with the check from behind.
And the Canadian juniors need to learn how to score a goal without parading/showboating/taunting in front of the other team's bench when they're down 3-2. They're a skilled team, but the way they acted tonight in the first was pretty classless. /end tangent

This was my first time seeing Van Riemsdyk play. I have to say, even as a Pens fan, I can't wait to see what he can do in the NHL. He's big, has good hands, and can skate pretty well for his size(those strong, short strides will help).

WhatsaMaatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 07:20 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Twistle View Post
And the Canadian juniors need to learn how to score a goal without parading/showboating/taunting in front of the other team's bench when they're down 3-2. They're a skilled team, but the way they acted tonight in the first was pretty classless. /end tangent

This was my first time seeing Van Riemsdyk play. I have to say, even as a Pens fan, I can't wait to see what he can do in the NHL. He's big, has good hands, and can skate pretty well for his size(those strong, short strides will help).
I'm not going to make up any excuses here, they are kids and were playing on home soil. The buzz and excitement for them must have been out of this world. I agree though, it was a little much...home ice or not.

Seeing as you're a Pens fan, and 'apparently' all about class...what were/are your thoughts on Crosby punching another player in the fruit basket from behind??? I'm just curious.

*anxiously awaiting the reply*

Old
01-01-2009, 07:57 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
If Wilson could finish the US wouls be up 7-5. JVR set him him up and Canada's defense is so worried about JVR in front its giving the others all kinds of room.
Yeah, and Tokarski wasn't giving. Wilson had about 3 shots that were perfectly placed and Canada's goalie bailed them out and stoned him. He was USA's best skater last night. JVR was there, but not going 100%, and Schroeder didn't have the same zip, he was neutralized well by backchecking. Wilson seemed to be the only guy would could sustain a rush and make good decisions with the puck rather than turning it over. Also noticed Kristo make some great plays. Then there was McDonagh who made a fabulous play to save a goal early in the first, and then "made up" for it by playing like junk on the PK and being most responsible for a couple Canadian goals.

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:26 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus View Post
I'm not going to make up any excuses here, they are kids and were playing on home soil. The buzz and excitement for them must have been out of this world. I agree though, it was a little much...home ice or not.
And how classy was it of the USA player after scoring a goal to skate by the Canada bench with his hand to his ear?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Opus
Boondoggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
And how classy was it of the USA player after scoring a goal to skate by the Canada bench with his hand to his ear?
I don't mind that at this level. Their young and as I said...huge game, lot's of excitement. Canada vs. USA. It doesn't get any bigger than that, and emotions are thru the roof.

So long as when/if they get drafted and make it to the big league, they don't do it...it's all good. One of my favourite players is Datsyuk, simply because he scores some of the prettiest goals and acts like it's nothing. After all, that's what he's paid to do. The guy is all class.