HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Was this really an old Rangers logo/jersey?

Old
12-07-2006, 09:51 PM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

vCash: 500
OT: Was this really an old Rangers logo/jersey?

I am looking to buy a gift for my brother-in-law who is a Rangers fan. I came across this 'vintage/retro' jersey on eBay but I have my doubts if this was ever actually a Rangers jersey/logo.

Can anyone confirm or deny this? Thanks.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:00 PM
SML

This looks about as authentic as the white bread cheeseburgers mom used to try to say were as good as McDonalds.

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:15 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

I was wondering this as well. It looks kinda like a burlap bag to me I too saw it on ebay, i'm thnking a fake, but i could be wrong.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:18 PM
WheresBarnaby

I think these are the only legit ones

http://shop.nhl.com/product/index.js...y_bestsell_img

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 10:30 PM
NYRBLUE 74

Send a message via AIM to NYRBLUE 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacOfNiagara View Post
I am looking to buy a gift for my brother-in-law who is a Rangers fan. I came across this 'vintage/retro' jersey on eBay but I have my doubts if this was ever actually a Rangers jersey/logo.

The Jersey is a first for me ...it looks fake.....or home made.Lol.
Go to the blueshirts new store site. A lot of cool stuff for your bro. The zip up warmup is off the hook. It has bold leather letters in white and red against the blue background with red, and blue and white stripes that run down the sleeves.The best...Your bro can wear this warmup all the time.check it out.

NYRBLUE 74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:03 PM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
Quote:

The logo looks like one on this page from 1956, u have to scroll down and its horrible quality http://logoserver.com/NHL.html

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Skroob*

ive seen it before, its not homemade, its by a real company that makes vintage jerseys, IIRC, made out of like wool, like a traditional "Sweater" would have been. but i cant veify if it is modeled after a real uniform from some point in time.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 02:00 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
I looked through every page of www.nhluniforms.com and couldn't find it, so I dont think it is authentic, though I coudl be wrong.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Rodent

I believe Gerry Cosby was the outfitter in those days. Ask your seller if that label is "Gerry Cosby".. While a counterfeit might bear even a counterfeit GC label, if the sweater does not have a GC label, you should be wary.

Rodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:43 PM
score77

Send a message via AIM to score77
On a slightly off topic subject my uncle and i are having a fight, he says that the Rangers wore a Red jersey at one time in recent years on a sunday or some weekend after noon game. I told him that the Rangers never wore a red jersey and that the only ones i have ever seen where practice jerseys and some of the protype jerseys that neil smith was looking at before they went with the liberty 3rd jersey. I'm i right? did the rangers ever where a red jersey?

score77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 03:53 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by score77 View Post
On a slightly off topic subject my uncle and i are having a fight, he says that the Rangers wore a Red jersey at one time in recent years on a sunday or some weekend after noon game. I told him that the Rangers never wore a red jersey and that the only ones i have ever seen where practice jerseys and some of the protype jerseys that neil smith was looking at before they went with the liberty 3rd jersey. I'm i right? did the rangers ever where a red jersey?
Nah, those were practice jerseys.

Last edited by Bluenote13: 09-20-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 04:48 PM
Skroob*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
Nah, those were practice jerseys.
they might also be talking about the full-trimmed NYR jersey, but with a reversed color scheme, which was done during the "fashion jersey" era, that saw teams like Detroit with Black unis, for example. they were never used in games, just used to make more money off of the fans.

This was just a few years ago. I believe it was when Starter was making jerseys.

Skroob* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-08-2006, 05:09 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skroob View Post
they might also be talking about the full-trimmed NYR jersey, but with a reversed color scheme, which was done during the "fashion jersey" era, that saw teams like Detroit with Black unis, for example. they were never used in games, just used to make more money off of the fans.

This was just a few years ago. I believe it was when Starter was making jerseys.
Yeah I remember those, almost bought a red one that was onsale, $30, but passed cause red is the color of the devil(s)

And yes, those jersey's were just for the fashionistas that live inside all of us

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 03:48 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:

Ok, this thread hasn't been accessed in 2 years, but in the mist of the unveiling of the 3rd jerseys thru out the NHL, I was actually googling to see if I could find a pic of that fashion era red Ranger jersey from the late 90's and came across this thread.

I actually have this old time Rangers sweater above. Got it about 5 years ago out of Ebbetts Field flannels and just thought it was kinda cool. It's kinda ratty looking now (not the greatest material), so I haven't worn it in a while, but according to the description that was in the magazine at the time, this was supposedly a practice jersey that the Rangers used to wear back in the day (40's or 50's maybe). No clue if it is true or not, but I just thought I'd share that little tid of info with y'all bit in case anyone still cares!

TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 06:13 PM
shoothepuck

It dosen't look like an official jersey. It might be an expedition jersey, memorial sweater, or practice/warm-up garment. NY did play in europe for 23 games against the Bruins in 1959, but they most likely wore their regular jerseys of that era, which didn't look like that one.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:32 PM
The Thomas J.*

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck View Post
It dosen't look like an official jersey. It might be an expedition jersey, memorial sweater, or practice/warm-up garment. NY did play in europe for 23 games against the Bruins in 1959, but they most likely wore their regular jerseys of that era, which didn't look like that one.

That seems like an odd number of games to play against one team.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:33 PM
DonCherrysSuit
Powerplay Pass Party

For the record, I would totally wear a black Detroit jersey.

DonCherrysSuit is offline   Reply With Quote