HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

weightlifting and hockey

Old
11-24-2008, 07:31 PM
greekdrummer

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
weightlifting and hockey

hi i lift weights 3 times a week and i heard that if i started to run, it burns muscle mass. what should i do off ice to increase my speed on ice and not burn any muscle?

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:45 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekdrummer View Post
hi i lift weights 3 times a week and i heard that if i started to run, it burns muscle mass. what should i do off ice to increase my speed on ice and not burn any muscle?
Sprints pulling weight of some sort.

kingpest19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Timzey

Quote:
make sure to keep your runs short (5k or less).... and make sure you are eating enough calories (especially protein)

Timzey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
greekdrummer

Send a message via AIM to greekdrummer
how about HIIT i have heard about it but i dont reall know anything? can anyone explain how it works?

greekdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Bluefan75

Quote:
how about HIIT i have heard about it but i dont reall know anything? can anyone explain how it works?
Not saying do a search in an attempt to avoid answering you while answering you, but there is some real good information in a few threads about HIIT, and some other items. I wouldn't do it justice trying to put it here on memory.

Bluefan75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:49 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDEVILSmademedoit View Post
make sure to keep your runs short (5k or less).... and make sure you are eating enough calories (especially protein)
or for us who aren't savvy with the Metric system, 3.1 miles .

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 10:57 PM
noobman

Quote:
High-Intensity-Interval-Training. It's the concept of mixing sprinting w/jogging to get more out of your workout in less time. Hockey is a game of explosive speed, and thus HIIT totally lends itself to the best athletes.

I'm no expert on it, but I'd say that you want to do about 60 seconds of jogging followed by a 30 second sprint. Rinse, lather, repeat.

If you're an "average joe" that's just starting out then weightlifting is going to do more good than harm. If you're a serious hockey player that's already pretty strong, you may benefit more from plyometrics than weightlifting.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:10 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
High-Intensity-Interval-Training. It's the concept of mixing sprinting w/jogging to get more out of your workout in less time. Hockey is a game of explosive speed, and thus HIIT totally lends itself to the best athletes.

I'm no expert on it, but I'd say that you want to do about 60 seconds of jogging followed by a 30 second sprint. Rinse, lather, repeat.

If you're an "average joe" that's just starting out then weightlifting is going to do more good than harm. If you're a serious hockey player that's already pretty strong, you may benefit more from plyometrics than weightlifting.
Probably putting a little rest in there is a good idea too. After that 30 second sprint (if you can make it all 30 seconds), you're shot. There's a reason why you take 45 - 60 second shifts, come off for two minutes and go back on. I prefer to follow the same format.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:22 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
I found a book written by a PHD who trains trainers on NHL teams at Borders Bookstore. It helped me out a ton but I had been lifting weights regularly already for about 6 years and had a personal trainer. Everybody will have different opinions on this subject so you really have to find something that suits where you are at physically and helps you feel better. Some people feel better after running triathlons, some people like to lift giant tires. From my experience I have seen a few guys who bragged about hom much they ran and I started to laugh when they got exhausted after a long shift. An-aerobic and aerobic exericse are 2 totally different animals. And if I tried to run a marathon I would be holding my side after a few minutes.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2008, 11:26 PM
db88

i hear some teams in the nhl make the guys go flat out on a bike for 3 minutes

db88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:35 AM
TheShoe82
No Diving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
I found a book written by a PHD who trains trainers on NHL teams at Borders Bookstore. It helped me out a ton but I had been lifting weights regularly already for about 6 years and had a personal trainer. Everybody will have different opinions on this subject so you really have to find something that suits where you are at physically and helps you feel better. Some people feel better after running triathlons, some people like to lift giant tires. From my experience I have seen a few guys who bragged about hom much they ran and I started to laugh when they got exhausted after a long shift. An-aerobic and aerobic exericse are 2 totally different animals. And if I tried to run a marathon I would be holding my side after a few minutes.
Got a name of the book?

TheShoe82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:08 PM
BogsDiamond
Anybody get 2 U yet?

Quote:
This isn't necessarily true.
All NHL players run and so do boxers, and yet a lot of them have large muscle mass still.

The rule of thumb is to make sure you do your long distance running, or cardio, 8 hours before or after a workout.

If you perform cardio right after a workout your body will use muscle to get the energy it needs for the run.

But long distance running won't do anything to help your speed, only endurance.

Perform HIIT (google it) to get explosiveness and to lose weight. And believe it or not, you can do these exercises after weight training. Because it should only be done for 5 to 10 minutes, it won't burn any muscle during the process.
Also, HIIT has been proven to burn fat long after you've finished your last interval - in some cases up to 48 hours after the HIIT session was completed.

BogsDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote