HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT - O'Byrne loses it for Habs

Old
11-25-2008, 09:12 AM
jnthomas

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to jnthomas
Its a shame what happened to O'Byrne. Its a shame the habs lost somewhat because of it (it was a turning point). But I can't be mad at the kid, he gave me the best laugh in quite awhile. I mean honestly, as much as I want to see my team win, losing because of something like that, while deplorable and probably will affect the kid's confidence, was simply too funny not to enjoy.

I did like how quite a few players have already backed O'Byrne. Hopefully he plays a good game against Detroit and the team gets a win.

BTW seems like Gorges doesn't have a cursed stick anymore. Maybe Price and Kosto should do the same for Kovalev and Plekanec.

jnthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:14 AM
Iyathurai
Still missing Saku:(

Send a message via MSN to Iyathurai
Good thing it wasn't a playoff game..imagine that. There was a lot of positives to take from that game..time to move on. Nice to see some people defending O'Byrne, even the ones from other teams. ..If they play the same way against the red wings...we'll be fine.

Iyathurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:50 AM
Habs

I was speechless before his brain fart. Watching him play, this season, has really increased my Rolaids intake.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:55 AM
Joe Cole

It sucks.

We all have to get over it.

A good game against the Wings is a good remedy. They have to come out hard.

Turn the frikken page.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:01 AM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Perspective is lost on a lot of people on this board.
Funny, but I'm seeing a lot more perspective this morning after taking out the trash last evening.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 11-25-2008 at 11:46 AM. Reason: Taking out the trash.
zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:25 AM
la25ecoupe

A right handed DAgostini would've scored that one

EDIT: And this one too:

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
la25ecoupe

Ouuuuuhhhh

Old
11-25-2008, 10:27 AM
BulldogFever

O'Byrne a 3rd round pick in his 2nd full season, 3rd pro season, asked to play #4 d-man minutes with Hamrlik (who hasn't been playing well lately). How long did it take Komisarek to evolve (2 split seasons Mtl-Hamilton, 1 injured season 20 games in Hamilton and 3 full time seasons in Mtl) to finally emerge. We're asking O'Byrne to be even better.

Gainey could've replaced Streit with a cheaper alternative in the offseason but he was too busy waiting for Sundin which still hasn't happened. Mathieu Carle probably isn't ready yet. Can we trade? Do we have cap room? And how come Dandenault isn't back there? do they have that little confiddence in him? They could always bring up a player to take his place up front. At best O'Byrne will be a # 5, no better than Josh Gorges. But we shouldn't give up on him. 6-5" d-man that can skate don't fall off trees.

I know people are frustrated. I hate to rain on the parade but we won't win a Cup this year. Not if they keep playing selfishly and not as a team. The forwards are all waiting for a pass in the neutral zone and then once they advance into the opponents zone, they make too many passes and nobody shoots, sound familliar.

BulldogFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:32 AM
number 11

don't know if anyone saw the tsn post game video, doug weight showed some class in his interview saying he felt bad and hopes the crowd isn't too tough on o'byrne.

also you gotta give obyrne credit for facing the media after the game and not hiding like most players would have.

Last edited by number 11: 11-25-2008 at 11:11 AM.
number 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by BulldogFever View Post
O'Byrne a 3rd round pick in his 2nd full season, 3rd pro season, asked to play #4 d-man minutes with Hamrlik (who hasn't been playing well lately). How long did it take Komisarek to evolve (2 split seasons Mtl-Hamilton, 1 injured season 20 games in Hamilton and 3 full time seasons in Mtl) to finally emerge. We're asking O'Byrne to be even better.

Gainey could've replaced Streit with a cheaper alternative in the offseason but he was too busy waiting for Sundin which still hasn't happened. Mathieu Carle probably isn't ready yet. Can we trade? Do we have cap room? And how come Dandenault isn't back there? do they have that little confiddence in him? They could always bring up a player to take his place up front. At best O'Byrne will be a # 5, no better than Josh Gorges. But we shouldn't give up on him. 6-5" d-man that can skate don't fall off trees.

I know people are frustrated. I hate to rain on the parade but we won't win a Cup this year. Not if they keep playing selfishly and not as a team. The forwards are all waiting for a pass in the neutral zone and then once they advance into the opponents zone, they make too many passes and nobody shoots, sound familliar.
I agree we need to be patient and fas are overracting.

BUT O'B is not the #4 d-man. Playing with Hamrlik doesn't make him the #4 guy, just like playing with Markov doesn't make Gorges #2 right now. O'B is getting #5 minutes with Komi out...usually he gets #6 minutes.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:37 AM
smon

Yeah, it's a really a result of Montreal having weak defensive depth. Brisebois/O'Byrne should be #6/7 guys. Instead O'B in particular was playing way too much and it shows with mistakes...

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:39 AM
la25ecoupe

Markov - Streit
Hamrlik - Komi

=

CUP

Old
11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanylapep View Post
Markov - Streit
Hamrlik - Komi

=

CUP
lol.. I don't know why people are on streit's nuts so much these days. Yea he'd help our PP but we all saw how SOFT and BRUTAL he was in his own zone last year as a defenseman.

At the price he was asking it was too expensive.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:40 AM
zzoo

I can't imagine if either Markov or Harmlik got hurt, our D core would be:
Bouillon - Brisebois
Dandenault - O'Byrne

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:41 AM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
but we all saw how SOFT and BRUTAL he was in his own zone last year as a defenseman.
No. As a matter of fact, that's not what we really saw. We've decided to take a couple of bad plays and then pretend like he was playing like that all game long. Like we did with Souray, who's suddenly is doing fine in Edmonton, also did it with Rivet, who suddenly was more solid in San Jose etc....

That's what we're doing. Streit was, in everybody's worst nightmares, NEVER as worst as people would have like him to be. Add to the fact that he was mostly playing up front, how the hell would you give a guy some momentum and some confidence to play his position.

And for the great "he would not have been doing it here" or "we would not have paid the amount he was asking"....Well first, he would be doing it here 'cause he would be top 4 and full PP time AND now with Komi gone, would have racked the minutes right now that he's racking with the Isles. Then, the rumor which doesn't seem to be a rumor right now, is that he would've accepted 2.5 for 3 years before around Christmas last year but as a d-man. It was a no-brainer at that time and it hurts way more right now.

Whitesnake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:49 AM
Pascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No. As a matter of fact, that's not what we really saw. We've decided to take a couple of bad plays and then pretend like he was playing like that all game long. Like we did with Souray, who's suddenly is doing fine in Edmonton, also did it with Rivet, who suddenly was more solid in San Jose etc....
My point is that people always pine for the player that left when a few months ago they were whining that Streit was so soft and blah blah. We make that mistake each time someone leaves. It's always greener on the other side.

I'd take Streit any day, just not at 4m/yr.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
My point is that people always pine for the player that left when a few months ago they were whining that Streit was so soft and blah blah. We make that mistake each time someone leaves. It's always greener on the other side.

I'd take Streit any day, just not at 4m/yr.
Well we're saying the same thing. All the players that left didn't suddenly changed the day after they were traded. They were either not give the opportunity to do so or their deficiencies were overblown by a ton.

Not always the case, but it often is.

For the record, as good as he could be, I would not have taken him at 4m/yr either. But if this 2.5 rumor, that seems more than a rumor is true....that's a big mistake.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:13 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
I was speechless before his brain fart. Watching him play, this season, has really increased my Rolaids intake.
I didn'y know Rolaids help with brain development

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:32 PM
Phozzwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
All the fans here are awful, we can't beat an aweful team like the Islanders because players like Kovalev and other high priced a-holes aren't pulling their weight...but one guy who is learning the trade on a very bad defense gets the blame?

Habs fans are pathetic and awful!

Who put the game into OT? Habs were winning 3-2, and all because Obryne scored on us we would have won the game, 2 points end of story, but instead he puts it into his own net like an idiot ties the game, we lose in a shootout. It is obviously Obrynes fault. These posts wouldn't even be happening if it wasnt for him becuz we would have had the W.

Phozzwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Phozzwald

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB View Post
I didn'y know Rolaids help with brain development

He said Obryne had a brain fart, not himself. Learn to read lol

Phozzwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:35 PM
CanadienErrant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozzwald View Post
Who put the game into OT? Habs were winning 3-2, and all because Obryne scored on us we would have won the game, 2 points end of story, but instead he puts it into his own net like an idiot ties the game, we lose in a shootout. It is obviously Obrynes fault. These posts wouldn't even be happening if it wasnt for him becuz we would have had the W.
Was it O'byrne's fault ? No. it was PP'S & PK's fault ! Like it is since the beginning of the season. Carbo said it in his post game press conference too.

CanadienErrant* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:37 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I have to laugh...all the O'byne crap sounds like what we head about Streit after the playoff game where he gave up a breakaway that led to a goal. Suddenly our PP struggles and he is worth 20 million.

I guess the boobirds will now run O'B out of town and then crap on Gainey in 3-4 years when he is a top shutdown d-man and we want one.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozzwald View Post

It's actually 1 point, we got a "tie" out of it, not a "loss".

These posts would not be happening if they hadn't screwed up and blown down A.Kost's goal...or the 20 great chances we missed to blow them out of the rink.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I have to laugh...all the O'byne crap sounds like what we head about Streit after the playoff game where he gave up a breakaway that led to a goal. Suddenly our PP struggles and he is worth 20 million.

I guess the boobirds will now run O'B out of town and then crap on Gainey in 3-4 years when he is a top shutdown d-man and we want one.
First, my belief is that the crowd is being blasted enough so that the next crowd that will see O'B in the lineup will actually cheer for him or at least not boo him that much. Then, boobirds are not, the kid could still be full of promises and might still, for a particular team, have a nice value 'cause of his size and his skating. So trade him all you want but the only reasons why some people crap on Gainey it's because they guys that end up doing great were given for nothing or close to it....Nobody know Pateryn, so they don't care or maybe don't even know that Grabs was traded for him...and all the others...

As far as GAiney and Carbo, just use him better if you don't want things like that to happen. Use him away first if you're so worry about the crowd's reaction. Still I believe that they should put him in the lineup in the next home game so the crowd could show us how "good" they could be as well.

Old
11-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's actually 1 point, we got a "tie" out of it, not a "loss".

These posts would not be happening if they hadn't screwed up and blown down A.Kost's goal...or the 20 great chances we missed to blow them out of the rink.
Well then, nobody should ever complain about another mistake ever again. 'Cause every mistake made could not have been too costly IF we would've been better elsewhere. Like it wasn't Price's fault last year in the playoffs if we would not have made Biron look like a Vezina winner. It never was Bégin's fault despite the stupid penalties he took over the years 'cause in tons of those games, we missed great opportunities that should not have been missed.

It's a team loss? Sure. But what was easier in the context that this team is fragile as hell...Converting our chances? Or not score in your goal and have a PP with 4 minutes to go in the game? Sure we had a PP right after, how come we didn't score? 'Cause that fragile team that has the coach always pressing the same panic button that most people here are doing, were totally down after and could not believed that while they were playing better, it could end up finishing the way it did. Any other team would have taken the opportunity to score, to permit O'Byrne to not be the scapegoat. But not our team right now.