HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

PGT - O'Byrne loses it for Habs

Old
11-25-2008, 12:56 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phozzwald View Post
He said Obryne had a brain fart, not himself. Learn to read lol
I know what he said, lol

don't jumb the gun dude and learn to read, i meant he was taking rolaids to get smarter, the poster not o'byrne

lol again

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:33 PM
Habs

The scary thing is, Ryan had no idea Price wasn't in the net..

Fantastic Defensive Awareness!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:42 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

The guy has absolutely no focus on the ice since the beginning of the season, and people are yapping about lack of confidence. Whatever.

It almost feels like he's got some private problems of his own. Last time some players had 'problems' off ice, they were traded for ****, that's what scary.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:46 PM
Carbo N8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
The guy has absolutely no focus on the ice since the beginning of the season, and people are yapping about lack of confidence. Whatever.

It almost feels like he's got some private problems of his own. Last time some players had 'problems' off ice, they were traded for ****, that's what scary.
He definitely doesn't appear tuned in to the world around him at times. Sitting on the bench between shifts he doesn't appear to me to be focused on the game the way other players are. I don't think he has reached that point of maturity where a player realizes what this whole NHL thing is all about, the intensity level required to do this thing every game night.

He strikes me as being one of those guys who constantly has iPod tunes going on in his head 24/7 whether he's wearing the headphones or not.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Habs

Never trust a purse snatcher!

Old
11-25-2008, 04:02 PM
Schooner Guy

It's funny. While Habs fans are calling for the death penalty for a 23 year old Dman who made a mistake, I've heard numerous hockey guys on Satellite radio, from cities other than Montreal, calling our fanbase vicious. Not only have ignorant Habs fans embarrassed our overall fanbase with the O'Byrne serenading/bashing, but the booing of Streit all night was completely classless. I'm surprised the US National anthem didn't get booed.

Not a proud day to be a Habs fan. And we wonder why former Habs players peform better in other cities (where they're allowed to develop), and we wonder why big name free agents don't want to sign here.

Only a non-athlete would be so mean and vicious about a mistake that a kid obviously feels bad about. Everyone who's every played competitive hockey has had an embarrassing gaffe. At least O'Byrne's teammates and Habs coaches were supportive of the kid.

I'm disgusted over the reception O'Byrne received by so-called Habs fans. Totally disgusted.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:16 PM
mrCoffea*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteTiger View Post
This game shouldn't even have gone in a shootout or OT in the first place...
yeah, so if a player makes a mistake during the game that costs us a goal, the rest of the team should just sit on their laurels and not try to win the game, because they were *SUPPOSED* to win before the mistake

That totally excuses the lack of scoring in overtime and the shootout

mrCoffea* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Schooner Guy

The irony of last night's bizarre ending is that the penalty call that was going to the Isles was a bad call by the referee. Bergenheim was getting a penalty after Kovalev stepped on the puck and fell. It's strange how things turned out on a play that looked like we were getting a lucky break (undeserved powerplay) on.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:52 PM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
The irony of last night's bizarre ending is that the penalty call that was going to the Isles was a bad call by the referee. Bergenheim was getting a penalty after Kovalev stepped on the puck and fell. It's strange how things turned out on a play that looked like we were getting a lucky break (undeserved powerplay) on.
If you are suggesting that the call was in some way related to Kovalev falling, you'd be wrong. This has been covered already.

Qui Gon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:02 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
It's funny. While Habs fans are calling for the death penalty for a 23 year old Dman who made a mistake, I've heard numerous hockey guys on Satellite radio, from cities other than Montreal, calling our fanbase vicious. Not only have ignorant Habs fans embarrassed our overall fanbase with the O'Byrne serenading/bashing, but the booing of Streit all night was completely classless. I'm surprised the US National anthem didn't get booed.

Not a proud day to be a Habs fan. And we wonder why former Habs players peform better in other cities (where they're allowed to develop), and we wonder why big name free agents don't want to sign here.

Only a non-athlete would be so mean and vicious about a mistake that a kid obviously feels bad about. Everyone who's every played competitive hockey has had an embarrassing gaffe. At least O'Byrne's teammates and Habs coaches were supportive of the kid.

I'm disgusted over the reception O'Byrne received by so-called Habs fans. Totally disgusted.
Agreed, somewhat...there seems to be quite a few Habs fans that go to the Bell Centre to boo...just about anything, which is very sad...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:56 PM
shredder11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
O'Byrne's been partially responsible for our last 3 loses. Took a pointless penalty a few games ago, the opposing team took the lead. The Boston game. This one. He'll have a great game then his one mistake always seems to lead to a goal. He needs to play less minutes.

On the bright side, he's the only hab to hit an empty net tonight.
I dont blame this on the kid,I blame it on management for not noticing!!!
As for O'Byrne's mistake!Damn he took it hard and he should.
But fail to realize that we **** up too.and hes just a kid.
Maybe management should send him to the bulldogs for a spell?
I really dont like the way carbo or the fans handle the young guys

shredder11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:08 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post

Actually it was his in game awareness that is partially to blame.

I dont think it was a bad play....and all of this takes the view point of a player who doesnt know there is a delayed call.

With the goalie in net, the left boards overloaded, O'Byrne pressured with no support he passes to Price who facing the play can immediately send the puck up to Plekanec near the middle of the ice. That would have been perfect and created a great opportunity for attack. That's what would have happened with no delayed call. And no one would have said a god damn thing about it.

And to those who say he could have banked it off the boards. Before rushing to the puck O'Byrne could see Plekanec at the Islanders blue line and the other 3 players including Markov on the left boards. So when he started his rush for the puck the whole area on the right side of the ice had 1 player at the other team's blue line. There is no way in hell that banking the puck behind the was a viable option because you know that IF Plekanec was coming back there would still only be 1 player on that side and by the time you banked the puck he would probably around center ice. I'm sorry guys but that makes no sense...and it troubles me that so many suggest it.

Give me a better play that would have lead to some decent transition. And notice his angle when he takes the puck....dont say "Wrap it around the net" cause he's a left handed shot "pinned" along the boards.

He was the last guy back and he new it and there was no way he was going to try and stickhandle is way to a 180 turn.

That's the only issue I have. And I wont argue with people who suggest this. While he started rushing for the puck he should have peaked at the goalie cause at that point he probably knew it was one of his only options. But I chalk this up on lack confidence and on being so focused at not getting beat to the puck that he chose to assume the goalie was there....something a player is rarely wrong about.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Actually znk, O'Byrne is a right handed shot.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:24 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Actually znk, O'Byrne is a right handed shot.
that's what I meant.

Old
11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
ECWHSWI
Spartan mic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk View Post
Actually it was his in game awareness that is partially to blame.

I dont think it was a bad play....and all of this takes the view point of a player who doesnt know there is a delayed call.

With the goalie in net, the left boards overloaded, O'Byrne pressured with no support he passes to Price who facing the play can immediately send the puck up to Plekanec near the middle of the ice. That would have been perfect and created a great opportunity for attack. That's what would have happened with no delayed call. And no one would have said a god damn thing about it.

And to those who say he could have banked it off the boards. Before rushing to the puck O'Byrne could see Plekanec at the Islanders blue line and the other 3 players including Markov on the left boards. So when he started his rush for the puck the whole area on the right side of the ice had 1 player at the other team's blue line. There is no way in hell that banking the puck behind the was a viable option because you know that IF Plekanec was coming back there would still only be 1 player on that side and by the time you banked the puck he would probably around center ice. I'm sorry guys but that makes no sense...and it troubles me that so many suggest it.

Give me a better play that would have lead to some decent transition. And notice his angle when he takes the puck....dont say "Wrap it around the net" cause he's a left handed shot "pinned" along the boards.

He was the last guy back and he new it and there was no way he was going to try and stickhandle is way to a 180 turn.

That's the only issue I have. And I wont argue with people who suggest this. While he started rushing for the puck he should have peaked at the goalie cause at that point he probably knew it was one of his only options. But I chalk this up on lack confidence and on being so focused at not getting beat to the puck that he chose to assume the goalie was there....something a player is rarely wrong about.
Shoots right actually.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:26 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
that's what I meant.
Well in that case, he wouldn't have had to do a 180.

Old
11-25-2008, 08:35 PM
AD

I still think he should have shot it behind the net to the other side of the zone. That's the high percentage play that d-men do dozens of times a game..

But I see you point Z.

Nevertheless, he should have checked where he was shooting the puck.

Now I hope he has 2 hat tricks in the next two games so people cheer him on saturday.

AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:45 PM
znk

Quote:
Well in that case, he wouldn't have had to do a 180.
take a hockey stick as a right hand shot and stand with your right shoulder next to the wall. Now try to push make a shot with any kind of force that would wrap along the boards. Because that's the position he was in when he got control of the puck. He hit the boards then pulled back the puck from his back hand to his forehand and got rid of it. Just indulge me with that...do it physicaly. And when I say 180 I mean stop the puck and turn outside (facing the boards) to shake the opposing player.

Old
11-25-2008, 08:56 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
take a hockey stick as a right hand shot and stand with your right shoulder next to the wall. Now try to push make a shot with any kind of force that would wrap along the boards. Because that's the position he was in when he got control of the puck. When I say 180 I mean stop the puck and turn outside (facing the boards) to shake the opposing player.
I am a right handed shot, so I can see what you're saying. He could have continued skating with the puck, gotten himself off the boards, and fired it around behind the net.

I'm not pissed at the kid, **** happens. He made a high risk play when he didn't have to znk.

Old
11-25-2008, 09:06 PM
znk

Quote:
I am a right handed shot, so I can see what you're saying. He could have continued skating with the puck, gotten himself off the boards, and fired it around behind the net.

I'm not pissed at the kid, **** happens. He made a high risk play when he didn't have to znk.
That's the thing and it appears I'm wrong on this but to me this it not a high risk play. The odds of making that play while you are unaware there is a delayed call are so low.

Old
11-25-2008, 09:35 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

Quote:
That's the thing and it appears I'm wrong on this but to me this it not a high risk play. The odds of making that play while you are unaware there is a delayed call are so low.
lol...yeah I think that was proven.

Ok, considering how well Price can handle the puck I'll give you that. Personally in a game that close, I wouldn't have taken the chance. I would have went with a safer play and continued my progress around the net.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 11-25-2008 at 11:07 PM.
Old
11-25-2008, 09:45 PM
Habs

Quote:

ZNK HAS SPOKEN!
/

Old
11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
No. As a matter of fact, that's not what we really saw. We've decided to take a couple of bad plays and then pretend like he was playing like that all game long. Like we did with Souray, who's suddenly is doing fine in Edmonton, also did it with Rivet, who suddenly was more solid in San Jose etc....
The absolute truth.

Old
11-25-2008, 10:30 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
The absolute truth.

It's the same with Brisebois. He can score a goal and make 10 great outlet passes but if the 11th missed the tape of the guy's stick, the guy is garbage and doesn't belong in the NHL.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:43 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
It's the same with Brisebois. He can score a goal and make 10 great outlet passes but if the 11th missed the tape of the guy's stick, the guy is garbage and doesn't belong in the NHL.
Well he got the same treatment in Colorado so...I'm not so sure about him.