HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What should Gainey do?

View Poll Results: What Should Gainey Do?
Sit tight, trust the team to play out of their slump and enter the playoffs a contender 47 40.52%
Aggressively work the phones, make 1-2 moves to improve the team now, calculated risk 48 41.38%
Sundin or Bust! 7 6.03%
Panic, sell the farm/future loading up for a run now, no matter the cost. 8 6.90%
Pack it in, deal the UFA's/vets he doesn't 100% want to bring back for more young talent/prospects 6 5.17%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-25-2008, 10:35 AM
  #1
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
What should Gainey do?

Personally, I think that he should have seen enough by now to know that this team needs at least a little shake-up.
With the number of contracts that expire this year, it seems likely that this team will undergo a make-over in the offseason.
If so, the only reason not to start shaking things up now would be if the team was playing well enough/showing signs that it had what it takes to make a long playoff run this year.


the simple fact that gainey is spending anytime at all chasing after Sundin implies that he feels the team needs tweaking (let's face it, bringing in Sundin means shipping out at least 1 of our top 3 centres -bye bye Lang- and likely 1 or 2 other vets to clear up enough cap space).

I just hope that Gainey doesn't spend all his time/energy courting Sundin...

if he feels the team needs changing, then he should be working the phones, scouting & schmoozing, trying to line up a trade that would similarly/adequately address the holes he/we plainly see, instead of repeating the summer's mistake of waiting on the big Swede.


imo, as much as a lot of people here worship at the alter of St-Bo, his "management" of the team this season will go a LONG way to asserting/refuting his effectiveness as a GM.

i still maintain that, short of doing a good job of collecting young talent (which, frankly, a lot of the credit rightly rests on Timmins shoulders), he still hasn't done nearly enough to warrant being considered among the elite GM's in the league.

being careful and cautious is well and fine, but sometimes calculated risks are needed, and thus far the bulk of his "risks" have been flops...

bottom line is winning, and 1 excellent season that ended in disappointment/early playoff exit, smothered in between non-playoff/low seeded playoff seasons is not exactly a record to write home about.

Making a move in panic/desperation is usually a mistake, but equally so is sitting on your hands and doing nothing while your team plays itself out of a playoff spot.

the season is 20 games old, through the first 10 we played so-so hockey but found ways to win, through the last 10 we've played so-so/poor hockey and found ways to lose...
at no point though have we strung together 3-4 good games in a row, which is a pretty clear indication that this team is a long way from being a contender, and maybe even closer to being a borderline playoff team than a contender...

does that sit well with anyone?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:42 AM
  #2
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
Personally, I think that he should have seen enough by now to know that this team needs at least a little shake-up.
With the number of contracts that expire this year, it seems likely that this team will undergo a make-over in the offseason.
If so, the only reason not to start shaking things up now would be if the team was playing well enough/showing signs that it had what it takes to make a long playoff run this year.


the simple fact that gainey is spending anytime at all chasing after Sundin implies that he feels the team needs tweaking (let's face it, bringing in Sundin means shipping out at least 1 of our top 3 centres -bye bye Lang- and likely 1 or 2 other vets to clear up enough cap space).

I just hope that Gainey doesn't spend all his time/energy courting Sundin...

if he feels the team needs changing, then he should be working the phones, scouting & schmoozing, trying to line up a trade that would similarly/adequately address the holes he/we plainly see, instead of repeating the summer's mistake of waiting on the big Swede.


imo, as much as a lot of people here worship at the alter of St-Bo, his "management" of the team this season will go a LONG way to asserting/refuting his effectiveness as a GM.

i still maintain that, short of doing a good job of collecting young talent (which, frankly, a lot of the credit rightly rests on Timmins shoulders), he still hasn't done nearly enough to warrant being considered among the elite GM's in the league.

being careful and cautious is well and fine, but sometimes calculated risks are needed, and thus far the bulk of his "risks" have been flops...

bottom line is winning, and 1 excellent season that ended in disappointment/early playoff exit, smothered in between non-playoff/low seeded playoff seasons is not exactly a record to write home about.

Making a move in panic/desperation is usually a mistake, but equally so is sitting on your hands and doing nothing while your team plays itself out of a playoff spot.

the season is 20 games old, through the first 10 we played so-so hockey but found ways to win, through the last 10 we've played so-so/poor hockey and found ways to lose...
at no point though have we strung together 3-4 good games in a row, which is a pretty clear indication that this team is a long way from being a contender, and maybe even closer to being a borderline playoff team than a contender...

does that sit well with anyone?
Trading players that are struggling or while the team is in a slump is a sure fire way or getting hosed...remember the Chelios/Savard trade or the Roy trade?

Those were panic or semi-panic moves.

The way the team has played the last 2 games, I don't think they need a shakeup, they just need confidence. They are not lacking skill or effort...just a bit of finish and/or luck.

If last night's game was played during a hot streak it would have been a 7-1 game with Higgins Kovy A.Kost and Markov all scoring.

Instead, we had a post, 2 missed open nets, a disallowed goal that should have never been blown dead and a crossbar.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
  #3
Doctor House
Registered User
 
Doctor House's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
Screw Sundin- we need defense

Doctor House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:49 AM
  #4
knuck
On and off fan
 
knuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,264
vCash: 500
go in the room and make things clear like he did a few years ago

knuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 10:50 AM
  #5
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Trading players that are struggling or while the team is in a slump is a sure fire way or getting hosed...remember the Chelios/Savard trade or the Roy trade?

Those were panic or semi-panic moves.

The way the team has played the last 2 games, I don't think they need a shakeup, they just need confidence. They are not lacking skill or effort...just a bit of finish and/or luck.

If last night's game was played during a hot streak it would have been a 7-1 game with Higgins Kovy A.Kost and Markov all scoring.

Instead, we had a post, 2 missed open nets, a disallowed goal that should have never been blown dead and a crossbar.
true enough, but then again, is it ever a good idea to trade players that are on fire, or while the team is playing great?

generally speaking, trades during the season either involve inconsequential players, players/teams that are struggling, or players/teams that are already planning for the future.

notice that the reasons you list as why we shouldn't worry now are eerily similar to the reasons why we lost in the second round last year... to them I'd add a lack of grit/toughness up and down the lineup, and questionable line-up decisions by the coach...

how long before those re-occurring themes move past the realm of "bad luck" and into the domain of "changes needed"?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:02 AM
  #6
InPriceWeTrust
Registered User
 
InPriceWeTrust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 258
vCash: 500
Carbo steps down and becomes an assistant


St. Patrick comes in and saves the day.

InPriceWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:10 AM
  #7
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peeto99 View Post
Carbo steps down and becomes an assistant


St. Patrick comes in and saves the day.
By saves the day I assume you mean leads us to a cup as a coach...

which in itself presents an interesting dilema:

is winning a cup, cup number 25 and during the centennial to boot, worth watching the entire known universe destroyed, smothered under Roy's unstoppable, expanding, all consuming ego?

interesting conundrum, not sure what my answer would be...
the universe is nice and all, but man oh man do I want us to win the cup!

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
  #8
Tuggy
Registered User
 
Tuggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saint John
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,220
vCash: 50
This team needs defensive help and another solid veteran on the blueline (Brisebois doesn't count).

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:19 AM
  #9
CareyClutch
Doing the job
 
CareyClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: North Korea
Posts: 4,942
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
I voted panic because its cool

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:21 AM
  #10
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,521
vCash: 500
Picking up some help is a good idea. But part of it has to be patience as well. Too many reactionary ideas will burn you long term

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:30 AM
  #11
Dripper
Registered User
 
Dripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Québec
Posts: 2,384
vCash: 500
No need to rush things now. I'd wait until the trade deadline and then go after a UFA-to-be right handed dman who can play the point on the powerplay, ala Morris/Zubov depending if their team is in the playoff picture.

Dripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
  #12
shealy04
Registered User
 
shealy04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,037
vCash: 500
I'm still not hitting the panic button.

shealy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:34 AM
  #13
Whitesnake
Habs of steel
 
Whitesnake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lorraine, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 47,379
vCash: 500
I would go and get a guy like....I don't know....Sergei Zinovjev....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
  #14
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
it's 20 games in. there's plenty of time left to see what happens. plus since the team is in the gutter a bit teams will try to screw us even more on trades.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:35 AM
  #15
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I would go and get a guy like....I don't know....Sergei Zinovjev....

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:44 AM
  #16
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Patience and small adjustments.


I don't see the blueline as major problem for this team - Komisarek will return, O'byrne will be given more manageable minutes and they actually haven't been all that bad anyways (as a group).

Offense though - this team needs a consistent finisher or Kovalev needs to wake up. I normally stay away from the negativity (trade him! demote him! etc) but for some reason the notion of trading Kovalev perks my interests. I would like to see what this team would be like without his inconsistency and high-risk play. I've always gotten this odd feeling that, regardless of the talent Kovalev possesses, the team would feel a collective sigh of relief if he was traded - maybe I'm dead wrong though.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:47 AM
  #17
Pascal
Registered User
 
Pascal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Offense though - this team needs a consistent finisher or Kovalev needs to wake up. I normally stay away from the negativity (trade him! demote him! etc) but for some reason the notion of trading Kovalev perks my interests. I would like to see what this team would be like without his inconsistency and high-risk play. I've always gotten this odd feeling that, regardless of the talent Kovalev possesses, the team would feel a collective sigh of relief if he was traded - maybe I'm dead wrong though.
sure feels like it this year but last yr we would have never gone so far without him... his value is also nil right now.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:51 AM
  #18
MJN79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
I think Gainey will have to start working the phones, this team is not built for the playoffs and I still think our defense is a weak point. I also would like to have guys like D'Agostini given a chance with the team, the same way we brought in Sergei last year.

MJN79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:53 AM
  #19
Mue
Registered User
 
Mue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 2,966
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
sure feels like it this year but last yr we would have never gone so far without him... his value is also nil right now.
Oh, I doubt he will be traded, I'm just really curious to see how it would impact the team as a whole.

Mue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:09 PM
  #20
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,461
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I would mostly hold tight and if a move is made it would be minor or even bring someone up form the minors.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:50 PM
  #21
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
The solution is quite simple but I dont know if Gainey has enough balls to do it.. He has to trade Kovalev, plain simple.. He knows it, Carbo knows it, Jarvis knows it, Muller knows it, Koivu and his teammates know it, the most lucid of us know it... Just DO!

Watch the boat sink if Kovy stays and doesnt pick his game up.. Im not being paranoiac, Im being realistic!

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:58 PM
  #22
Talent Analyst
Registered User
 
Talent Analyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: 100th years
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mue View Post
Patience and small adjustments.

I don't see the blueline as major problem for this team - Komisarek will return, O'byrne will be given more manageable minutes and they actually haven't been all that bad anyways (as a group).

Offense though - this team needs a consistent finisher or Kovalev needs to wake up. I normally stay away from the negativity (trade him! demote him! etc) but for some reason the notion of trading Kovalev perks my interests. I would like to see what this team would be like without his inconsistency and high-risk play. I've always gotten this odd feeling that, regardless of the talent Kovalev possesses, the team would feel a collective sigh of relief if he was traded - maybe I'm dead wrong though.
I couln't say it better.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:59 PM
  #23
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
The solution is quite simple but I dont know if Gainey has enough balls to do it.. He has to trade Kovalev, plain simple.. He knows it, Carbo knows it, Jarvis knows it, Muller knows it, Koivu and his teammates know it, the most lucid of us know it... Just DO!

Watch the boat sink if Kovy stays and doesnt pick his game up.. Im not being paranoiac, Im being realistic!
How would trading Kovalev make us a better team? We'd be back where we were 2 years ago relying on 1 line to do 75% of the scoring.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:06 PM
  #24
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJN79 View Post
I think Gainey will have to start working the phones, this team is not built for the playoffs and I still think our defense is a weak point. I also would like to have guys like D'Agostini given a chance with the team, the same way we brought in Sergei last year.
If the defense is so bad why does Price have good stats despite having an up and down year?

They also said Detroit was not built for the playoffs and they won the cup. Just because Anaheim won with 3 skill playters and a team of neaderthals doesn't mean that's the only way to go.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:09 PM
  #25
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,991
vCash: 500
Call the Trashers and get Kovalchuk

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.