HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Laraque with a Role

Old
11-23-2008, 09:40 AM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Laraque with a Role

I was surprised to see Laraque up on the top line, and admittedly found it amusing to see him lined up next to Lucic for much of the night. Though, I found myself hoping each time Laraque was out there that--for his sake--Lucic wouldn't score.

That said, Laraque's shadowing job seemed to put Lucic off his game a little and render that top B's line largely ineffective.

On the flip side--did it do the same to Tanguay & Koivu?

I get what Carbonneau's doing out there: two skill players, one grinder. Every line has one responsible, coachable player, and two guys who will think offense-first.

I liked that Laraque wasn't saddled up next to Koivu all night and instead S.Kostitsyn took some shifts there. It played into Montreal's depth and added a dynamic that forced the B's to adjust to all night.

Looking forward, though: perhaps this is a way to make Laraque useful. He's been utterly dreadful in a 4th line capacity, in my opinion: that line ought to be about energy, and frankly, Laraque brings none. On the top line though, he just needs to plant himself in front of the net ... and he did just that, clearing some room. Drew a penalty, caused a distraction, had the opposition weary of him.

Against teams like Ottawa, launch Laraque against Neil. Against Philly, put him up against Hartnell. Against Boston, Lucic or Chara (as Begin demonstrated, Chara can lose focus). He can be used to get on the opposition's blueline, as this team has desperately lacked aggressive forechecking and the smart angling that Tanguay provides would give Laraque the extra five seconds he needs to get into a forechecking position.

I'm not advocating Laraque playing a thug role in pursuing the Neils and Hartnells of the world, but rather giving him a proactive role beyond the scope of goonery: forechecking, opening up room, going to the net, and maybe banging home 5-10 goals for his effort. I don't expect Laraque to be as spirited and vengeful as he was last night unless the opposition calls for it, but he's clearly at his best when given a specific job to do ... and when that job doesn't entail merely fighting.

Of course, he ought to still be restricted to 8-9 minutes of ice time a game, as alternating a good player into his spot on that line is a necessity, but finding a role for Laraque is essential for the team to find any use out of him. In my view, because Montreal's fourth line is based on speed and energy, Laraque doesn't belong there.

(I know this topic has been done already, but let's get a fresh start and forward-looking with Laraque's future role on the club)

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 09:48 AM
Travis Moen

In the long term, the productivity of whatever line Laraque is in will drop and some players will be pissed off. I don't want to go back in the time when we were putting our defensive line against opposing top line.

Travis Moen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:32 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
In the long term, the productivity of whatever line Laraque is in will drop and some players will be pissed off. I don't want to go back in the time when we were putting our defensive line against opposing top line.
Laraque will be placed on the top line im pretty sure only when we play BOS and Lucic is running his mouth.

Don't bet on Laraque playing regularly on top lines, this was to settle some score and keep Lucic calm.
Other than scoring a goal yesterday (Laraque wasn't on the ice for that) Lucic was a complete ghost.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:35 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

It was somewhat entertaining to watch Laraque shadowing Lucic in the first.

I think BGL was genuinely pissed at Lucic's showboating after the Komi fight.. and that he would've actually enjoyed slugging him hard a couple of times to teach him a lesson

Still...

Lucic scored and BGL didn't

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:50 AM
RC51

I just can't believe the two faced posts in the Boston board.
FOr months and months all we saw posted was how Komisarek was a pansie and a chicken for not dropping his gloves with Lucic, over and over again it was "Komi the chicken" that even if the coach says no that a mans personal honer should have forced Komi to drop them. Thus Komi is a chicken with no honer.

Now it's all about how Lucic was smart no to drop them with big George. What a bunch of two faced fans

it sure proves that many Bruin fans have NO HONER.

RC51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:51 AM
mcphee

I thought that Carbo did a good job mixing lines last night and GL didn't slow anyone down. You have to give these guys a carrot now and then, plus it gives teams a look that might make them a bit uncomfortable.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 10:53 AM
Beantowns Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kostopoulos View Post
I'm a Bruins fan and a Lucic fan, but i must give credit where it is due, that is a funny pic of ''Lucichicken''...lol..well done!

Beantowns Best is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:02 AM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
FOr months and months all we saw posted was how Komisarek was a pansie and a chicken for not dropping his gloves with Lucic, over and over again it was "Komi the chicken" that even if the coach says no that a mans personal honer should have forced Komi to drop them. Thus Komi is a chicken with no honer.

Now it's all about how Lucic was smart no to drop them with big George. What a bunch of two faced fans

that's "honour"

not "honer"

don't mean to correct spelling, but...

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I thought that Carbo did a good job mixing lines last night and GL didn't slow anyone down. You have to give these guys a carrot now and then, plus it gives teams a look that might make them a bit uncomfortable.
I agree. Those three actually had some very good shifts and chances to score.

I've said this before, you cannot expect Laraque to play 2 minutes a game and then expect him to fight all their battles.

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Magic33

I think we should also remember that Laraque has played on a line with players such as Malkin and Crosby. He may not be great anywhere on the ice except for below the goal line in the offensive zone. Hes a beast down there, and its hard to knock him off the puck. That being said, I would have liked Carbo to leave the whole Lucic thing and play our top line without BGL on it.

Magic33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:21 AM
The n00b King ©*

Who was on when Lucic scored? Was it Kovalev?

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quartz View Post
Who was on when Lucic scored? Was it Kovalev?
Yup.

And Bouillon pinched up ice.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:33 AM
THE HOFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I was hoping you'd say something in that sense....

I can't explain the fact that some fans are focussed on Laraque's work and actually think its the cause of our poor performances lately.

Laraque needs to feel like he is part of it, and the way Carbo used him was great. I know one thing, Chara seems quite soft with our habs this year , and I'd like to point out that GL might be one of the reasons.

Laraque plays WELL . With and without the puck . He uses his body and is always in a good position... behind/front of the net . His timming was WAY off at the start of the season, but he picked it up , otherwise he wouldn't have been able to distribute bodychecks here and there... eventually , he'll score big goals... he is a passionate player and I see nothing wrong with his game.

The way the players worked last night, the way they hit lucic , the way they created chances ... makes me think we'll be alright ... loosing a bit more for a while is something good teams need to go through, because when comes spring, you actually know how to go to war.

Plekanec is struggling to score, but once he gets his game going, he'll be on a roll , and so will the rest of the team. For some reason, I think until we actually have 3 scoring lines filled with confidence, we will need to go back to the basics.considering obyrne AND brisebois are always in the lineup , don't be surprised if we are going through rough times... but I prefer that than getting hit by the sens syndrome.

THE HOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:34 AM
rocketlives

Laraque wasn't on the ice last night when Lucicken scored.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:36 AM
BoyntBergie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post

One big difference is that Lucic and Komisarek had a long running fued. What transpired last night between BGL and Lucic happened at least 3-4 times last season (including the POs) between Komisarek and Lucic, and began immediately again in the first meeting between the teams this season. Basically a 15 game period of them going at it and Komisarek accepting an invitation to shed the gloves once, and well down the road.

Laraque has got caught up in it now that he's a Canadian, and I don't see how Lucic, a guy who has no running beef with BGL, declining to fight him twice, when in each scenario it made sense to, is the same as Komisarek turning Lucic down in a dozen or so straight games.

Even with that said, I'd be willing to wage a fair amount that if Lucic is healthy, he goes with Laraque 1 of the next 2 times these teams meet. Watch.

BoyntBergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:40 AM
MayorFord

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Laraque wasn't on the ice last night when Lucicken scored.
i think that goal was all O'byrne fault. at least one of the 2 goals was. that kid is seriously starting to scare me every time he's on the ice. he makes one or more costly errors every damn game, not counting all the damn penalties he's taking... reminds me of Traverse a couple of years back, we would all hold our breath while he's on the ice.

MayorFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:42 AM
rocketlives

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
One big difference is that Lucic and Komisarek had a long running fued. What transpired last night between BGL and Lucic happened at least 3-4 times last season (including the POs) between Komisarek and Lucic, and began immediately again in the first meeting between the teams this season. Basically a 15 game period of them going at it and Komisarek accepting an invitation to shed the gloves once, and well down the road.

Laraque has got caught up in it now that he's a Canadian, and I don't see how Lucic, a guy who has no running beef with BGL, declining to fight him twice, when in each scenario it made sense to, is the same as Komisarek turning Lucic down in a dozen or so straight games.

Even with that said, I'd be willing to wage a fair amount that if Lucic is healthy, he goes with Laraque 1 of the next 2 times these teams meet. Watch.

Lucicken looks good when he fights players who aren't known to be good at fisticuffs like Komisarek and Boynton. When he fought Erskine, he didn't look good at all. I don't blame him for not wanting to dance with Laraque but he should stop bragging and taunting when he wins easy fights.

rocketlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 11:44 AM
Lord Horse
Next Day's News

Carbo did great matching Laraque and Lucic and showed exactly why BGL is with the team. Lucic's hitting game, taking guys out of the play was toned down quite nicely! Saku Koivu, on the other hand, threw one of the hardest hits in the game. This is *exactly* the reason for having the big man and whenever a big guy is running wild on the Habs, this is the correct response.

Bravo Carbo & Laraque, both had their best games last night. Bruins won't sneak away with both points next time.

Lord Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 12:35 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

BGL was fantastic last night. It was hilarious to see Lucicken pissing his pants and running away every time Laraque got close to him. Every time BGL and Lucicken were on the ice at the same time, Lucie was totally invisible. It was amazing.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 01:11 PM
OldTimeHockey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketlives View Post
Lucicken looks good when he fights players who aren't known to be good at fisticuffs like Komisarek and Boynton. When he fought Erskine, he didn't look good at all. I don't blame him for not wanting to dance with Laraque but he should stop bragging and taunting when he wins easy fights.
Ok for the people who are saying boston fans are two faced with this whole lucic-komi/ lucic-laraque thing, i really don't get it. First, komisarek is a good player. And when he finally dropped the gloves with looch we commended him, because it was an ongoing fued between those two and the fight was out of shear anger on both sides. When you see a guy like laraque (0pts, -4) skating up to lucic with no other intent than to start a meaningless fight, it makes no sense. Komisarek and lucic happened throughout the hockey game, both were focused on the game and everything escalated in the heat of the battle.

and as I recall last year many fans here were saying that komi would beat the snot out of lucic. and now all of a sudden you're saying lucic is picking on a weak fighter? come on. And to say boynton is not a fighter is false, he is known to get in his fair share of big fights.

Komisarek is a good player. Lucic is a good player. Laraque is not.
great game last night this rivalry is better than ever

OldTimeHockey24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Yes, Laraque definitely needs to find his niche within the team. Yesterday, he seemed to find his niche. Lucic looked pretty uncomfortable everytime bgl was out there and it showed in his game as well. Its definitely worth another look, if noting else.

Good post, Mike.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:32 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTurbo View Post
i think that goal was all O'byrne fault. at least one of the 2 goals was. that kid is seriously starting to scare me every time he's on the ice. he makes one or more costly errors every damn game, not counting all the damn penalties he's taking... reminds me of Traverse a couple of years back, we would all hold our breath while he's on the ice.
o'byrne is getting burned in the transition game especially by the shiftier players. Just last week, he got burned by samsonov and kessel. I think he is improving in some areas, but I'm also scared when he is in a one on one situation against these types of players

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimeHockey24 View Post
Ok for the people who are saying boston fans are two faced with this whole lucic-komi/ lucic-laraque thing, i really don't get it. First, komisarek is a good player. And when he finally dropped the gloves with looch we commended him, because it was an ongoing fued between those two and the fight was out of shear anger on both sides. When you see a guy like laraque (0pts, -4) skating up to lucic with no other intent than to start a meaningless fight, it makes no sense. Komisarek and lucic happened throughout the hockey game, both were focused on the game and everything escalated in the heat of the battle.

and as I recall last year many fans here were saying that komi would beat the snot out of lucic. and now all of a sudden you're saying lucic is picking on a weak fighter? come on. And to say boynton is not a fighter is false, he is known to get in his fair share of big fights.

Komisarek is a good player. Lucic is a good player. Laraque is not.
great game last night this rivalry is better than ever
Go back and read the archives from your board. At the time a lot of Bruin fans were calling out Komisarek to fight Lucic. Lucic was not a top line player, he was a rookie playing on the 4th line. While Komisarek was a top 4 defenseman for the Habs.

This is why some of us are calling some Bruin fans hypocrites. They came up with plenty of reasons why Komisarek should fight Lucic last season. But now that Lucic has become a 1st line player for the B's. They have a ton of the same reasons us Hab fans threw out as to why he shouldn't fight Laraque.

Personally, I totally understand why Lucic isn't fighting Laraque. There's nothing to gain by doing so right now, just like there was nothing for Komisarek to gain from fighting Lucic last season.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Go back and read the archives from your board. At the time a lot of Bruin fans were calling out Komisarek to fight Lucic. Lucic was not a top line player, he was a rookie playing on the 4th line. While Komisarek was a top 4 defenseman for the Habs.

This is why some of us are calling some Bruin fans hypocrites. They came up with plenty of reasons why Komisarek should fight Lucic last season. But now that Lucic has become a 1st line player for the B's. They have a ton of the same reasons us Hab fans threw out as to why he shouldn't fight Laraque.

Personally, I totally understand why Lucic isn't fighting Laraque. There's nothing to gain by doing so right now, just like there was nothing for Komisarek to gain from fighting Lucic last season.
That is a horrible comparison.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaineer View Post
That is a horrible comparison.
Why is that?, because Komisarek and Lucic battled all year long. While this Laraque/Lucic episode is only a recent thing?

The bottom line is, Komisarek was too valuable for the Habs to lose in a 5 minute trade off for Lucic last season. This season I think it was a fairly equal trade off, so I was all for them finally going at it.

This season, Lucic has become quite valuable to the Bruins. So for them to lose Lucic for 5 minutes, while we lose Laraque is quite similar.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote