Paul Maurice
John Paddock
Ed Olyzck
Doug McLean
Mike Milbury
Denis Savard
Trent Yawney
Dave Lewis

Bolded - My choices for replacements based on their success!

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:18 AM
PrarieSniper

vCash: 500
Why replace the Coach? It makes no sense to me. Did Tippett all of a sudden become a terrible coach over the summer? If anything, I think he got his team last year to overachieve.

It's not his fault his goaltender got old over the summer, his captain blew out his knee, his best defenseman and best two-way player can't stay healthy or that his GM's are dumb enough to sign an idiot like Avery to a 4 year contract that they will never be able to dump.

Leave Tippett in, take the high draft pick and reload next year. At least leave some sort of consistency with the organization.

PrarieSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrarieSniper View Post
Why replace the Coach? It makes no sense to me. Did Tippett all of a sudden become a terrible coach over the summer? If anything, I think he got his team last year to overachieve.

It's not his fault his goaltender got old over the summer, his captain blew out his knee, his best defenseman and best two-way player can't stay healthy or that his GM's are dumb enough to sign an idiot like Avery to a 4 year contract that they will never be able to dump.

Leave Tippett in, take the high draft pick and reload next year. At least leave some sort of consistency with the organization.
A shake up is in order and a lot of people think that it needs to start with our coach!

Old
11-25-2008, 11:57 AM
txomisc

Quote:

even scotty bowman moved around alot and he clearly is one of the all time greats. Sometimes good coaches just have to move on.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:05 PM
beardedgraf

Quote:

you cant fire all the players

beardedgraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:18 PM
MxK1NGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addiction View Post
Pat Quinn
Marc Crawford
Ted Nolan
Greg Hanlon
Paul Maurice
John Paddock
Ed Olyzck
Doug McLean
Mike Milbury
Denis Savard
Trent Yawney
Dave Lewis

Bolded - My choices for replacements based on their success!
Dude you REALLY DO NOT want Marc Crawford!
My vote for you guys would be Denis Savard or Ted Nolan
Pat Quinn can also be one as well

MxK1NGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:34 PM
Alistar

what about John Tortorella, he's available and has had some great success in the past

Alistar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:49 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Paul MacLean or Brad McCrimmon would be a the best two options.
Now as far as past NHL coaches I'd go with Ted Nolan or Dennis Savard.

Not that Tippett is going to be fired.

________ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:57 PM
Chad_

Quote:
I don't mean to pile on, but you do realize Turco is 33, right? Now that might be old to you, but it's not old at all for a goalie in the NHL.

And it's interesting in what you write are the problems Tippett cannot control. Here's some things he should have control over.

1. D-men regressing
2. Forwards not playing two-way games
3. Lackluster effort by the entire squad
4. A PP that ranks 20th in the NHL
5. His always non-strategic decisions on whom to send out for faceoffs
6. His decision making for line combos (vitally important to you if you want consistency, I suppose)
7. Ice time of players
8. His mental block against certain other NHL coaches fielding, consistently, lesser talented teams than the Stars
9. A team strategy not congruent with the players on the roster
10. The 26th ranked penalty kill

Those are just a few, but those are all things Tippett should have a handle on. If you want to blame this season on a 33 year-old being old, injuries or the new whipping boy in Avery, then I'd say it's your prerogative to sniff glue.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:01 PM
PrarieSniper

I disagree with a change for the sake of change. Look at the coaches on that list.

There are maybe two legitimate candidates in there.

Pat Quinn- Maybe but creeping up there in age
Marc Crawford- Terrible coach
Ted Nolan- Burns bridges no matter where he coaches
Greg Hanlon- Just ask caps fans how well "Glen" did and what happened after he left
Paul Maurice- Just ask Toronto fans how good he is
John Paddock- Maybe. Don't know if anyone can right the ship in Ottawa
Ed Olyzck- Terrible
Doug McLean- Moron
Mike Milbury- One of the worst hockey minds in history
Denis Savard- Maybe. Got shafted in Chicago
Trent Yawney- Please, this is an upgrade?
Dave Lewis- Not bad but seems to be suited for an assistant role
John Torteralla- Not bad but it would be hard to see him and Hull co-existing

My point is that none of these are upgrades to what is already there. I know its the common sentiment to fire the coach to "shake things up" but I just don't see it accomplishing anything right now.

PrarieSniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
I disagree with a change for the sake of change. Look at the coaches on that list.

There are maybe two legitimate candidates in there.

Pat Quinn- Maybe but creeping up there in age <- Didn't realize age is a bad thing when it comes to knowledge of the game!
Marc Crawford- Terrible coach <- he was coahing LA ...enough said!
Ted Nolan- Burns bridges no matter where he coaches <- Don't want him!
Greg Hanlon- Just ask caps fans how well "Glen" did and what happened after he left <- don't know much about him.
Paul Maurice- Just ask Toronto fans how good he is <-Again look at the team he was brought in to coach!John Paddock- Maybe. Don't know if anyone can right the ship in Ottawa <- Don't think he would fit here!
Ed Olyzck- Terrible <- No thank you!
Doug McLean- Moron <- Not as bad as people say!
Mike Milbury- One of the worst hockey minds in history <- meh!
Denis Savard- Maybe. Got shafted in Chicago <- would not be a bad choice!
Trent Yawney- Please, this is an upgrade? <- Not really
Dave Lewis- Not bad but seems to be suited for an assistant role <- Agree
John Torteralla- Not bad but it would be hard to see him and Hull co-existing <- Could be what the team needs due to the experience of coaching young players.

My point is that none of these are upgrades to what is already there. I know its the common sentiment to fire the coach to "shake things up" but I just don't see it accomplishing anything right now.
Bolded my responses

Old
11-25-2008, 01:16 PM
Teemu

You guys underestimate just how bad of a coach Denis Savard was.

He took a job with the organization, so I highly doubt he'll ever return to coaching anyway.

Teemu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
A shake up is in order and a lot of people think that it needs to start with our coach!
Who are these "lot of people?"

Sorry, but Tippett isn't going anywhere.

Hell, we're only two months into the dang season as it is. If we have back to back YEARS like we've had in the past two months, then yes it's time for a change.

Personally, I don't think this falls on Tip's head at all.

Morrow is out the entire season.
Lehtinen has been out 3/4ths of the season.
Zubov has played what? 20 regular season games in the past year?
Lundqvist is out for God knows how long.
Ott is out a month.

We lost all leadership in Barnes and Norstrom and we severely under looked that in the off season. Not to mention now our top leader in Morrow is out.

Add in the fact that all 3 of our rookie defensemen are having sophomore slumps...and that Marty has been hit and miss all season...and that spells disaster.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:22 PM
map94

If this team had been healthy all year at it's current record, I think Tippett would be on the hot seat. With all the injuries, I think Hicks will give Tippett the benefit of the doubt and not make any coaching or front office changes. He's already over budget this year due to the injuries, so I doubt he'd want to start paying two head coaches. I don't think a coaching change would improve these guys right now. I do think a couple trades could wake some people up, but I'm not sure who since so many people have NTC's.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:52 PM
Chad_

Quote:
Originally Posted by map94 View Post
If this team had been healthy all year at it's current record, I think Tippett would be on the hot seat. With all the injuries, I think Hicks will give Tippett the benefit of the doubt and not make any coaching or front office changes. He's already over budget this year due to the injuries, so I doubt he'd want to start paying two head coaches. I don't think a coaching change would improve these guys right now. I do think a couple trades could wake some people up, but I'm not sure who since so many people have NTC's.
While I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment that Tippett should stay, it's not up to Hicks. If the co-GMs feel they or even one of them is on the hot seat, they'll can Tippett. I know a good deal of stuff gets flung towards Hicks, but he's pretty secure in the hierarchy that he puts together and holds those directly underneath him accountable.

Old
11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
While I don't necessarily disagree with your sentiment that Tippett should stay, it's not up to Hicks. If the co-GMs feel they or even one of them is on the hot seat, they'll can Tippett. I know a good deal of stuff gets flung towards Hicks, but he's pretty secure in the hierarchy that he puts together and holds those directly underneath him accountable.
Hick is stingy when it comes to spending money after he spent all that cash on Nomo & Arod and it never worked out.

Old
11-25-2008, 10:29 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Hick is stingy when it comes to spending money after he spent all that cash on Nomo & Arod and it never worked out.
Yeah, but he has never been stingy with the Stars. That could change though with what is going on the year. The injuries are costing him quite a bit, and he was already spending more money than he wanted too.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:27 PM
Chad_

Quote:
While this isn't the forum for Rangers talk, he did pay for the contracts of both John Hart and Buck Showalter even after they left the organization or the position in which they were hired for. If Hicks truly wanted to change the coach, he'd just do it through getting rid of Jackson and Hull, or maybe one of them. He wouldn't have a problem paying for the remaining contract of Tippett, or at least history shows that isn't the case. And don't forget Hitch either.

On players, there's the massive contract for Young and the huge contract offer for Teixera that he supported, so it's not exactly black and white on Hicks. It is though reasonable to assume an owner of any business wants to at least break even instead of lose millions. I hardly fault him for that, and he's been a very good owner for the Stars.

Old
11-25-2008, 11:58 PM
vofty

Per Scott burnside at ESPN

Quote:
As for making a roster move, the rumors are stronger that owner Tom Hicks will clean up the co-GM situation before he'll allow Brett Hull and/or Les Jackson to make a significant roster move.

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Sony Eriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Per Scott burnside at ESPN
Interesting! Hull back to the Ambassador of fun? Or assistant to the GM (Les)

Old
11-26-2008, 08:17 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Personally, I don't think this falls on Tip's head at all.

Morrow is out the entire season.
Lehtinen has been out 3/4ths of the season.
Zubov has played what? 20 regular season games in the past year?
Lundqvist is out for God knows how long.
Ott is out a month.

We lost all leadership in Barnes and Norstrom and we severely under looked that in the off season. Not to mention now our top leader in Morrow is out.

Add in the fact that all 3 of our rookie defensemen are having sophomore slumps...and that Marty has been hit and miss all season...and that spells disaster.
Even with all those guys out, this team still has plenty of talent, and they aren't producing. I don't know if another coach could get more out of them, but I do know this coach isn't getting anything out of them.

The roster had a pretty big shift over the summer when it lost Barnes, Miettinen, and Hagman. Those three won a lot of puck battles and were some hard workers in tough areas. I don't think Tippett has adjusted well to the new roster.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 09:46 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Interesting! Hull back to the Ambassador of fun? Or assistant to the GM (Les)
I'd be more than happy to get Hull out of the GM role. I didn't think he belonged there in the first place.

Dallasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 01:09 AM
aevans0001

I agree with Chad with one more thing to throw in.... Leaving your number 1 goalie in for more than 3 goals is also a decision that Tip should be acocuntable for.. How many times this season has Turco not been true to his form yet was left in. If we are not sure of Stephans abilities , send him down and bring up others. If they don't work send them back and bring up another, if none work out trade for a backup. If we had no backup plans why did we send out Smyth?

aevans0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2008, 09:47 AM
map94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad_ View Post
I'll have to disagree with you on this. No way Tippett gets fired unless Hicks agrees he should be fired. Co-GMs might recommend it to Hicks, but Hicks will be the one to have to give a thumbs up or thumbs down.

map94 is offline   Reply With Quote