HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Right time to leave the crease on a delayed penalty...

Old
11-25-2008, 12:02 AM
22SteveBegin22

vCash: 500
Right time to leave the crease on a delayed penalty...

Obviously O'Byrne deserves the blame for what happened at the end of this one. I'm not on board with the people who want to see him off the team for good, since he's young and still learning, but sure that was dumb.

I do think it's at least worth discussing whether Price left the crease a bit too early. When the penalty occurred, the puck was in the neutral zone in the Isles half of the ice... but it looks like by the time he was on his way to the bench, it was moving toward our end (played by Kostitsyn and then Markov along the boards). I know it's easy to second guess these things, but wouldn't it have been a smart play to either stay in the crease until the puck was in the offensive zone, or be watching the play so he could head back into the net once it started heading that way? Especially knowing that we were protecting a one-goal lead in the third period.

To be clear again, I AM NOT BLAMING PRICE FOR THIS GOAL. I'm just wondering if I'm the only one who thinks he might have left a little early, especially given the game circumstances.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Belso

Remember Nicklas Backstrom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9NZn1lskE

It could happen to anyone...

He has 20 pts in 21 games this season..

Cut the guy some slack.. It had nothing to do with leaving the crease at the wrong time. He made a mistake and he shouldn't do it again... Well let's hope he won't

Belso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
CanadaIsHockey

No, as soon as the ref raises his hand, unles sthe puck is already heading towards your net and is going to go in if your not there, you leave your net for an extra attacker.
The ONLY way the other team scores is if your own player shoots it in his own net, like was the case today. Things like that should NOT happen in the 1st place. If you feel pressured you just let the other team touch it and its done. There is no need to panic because the other team CANT score so you should be playing with NO pressure.
In this case, our player made a mistake, we gotta live with it.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:15 AM
Galchenyuk x 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
No, as soon as the ref raises his hand, unles sthe puck is already heading towards your net and is going to go in if your not there, you leave your net for an extra attacker.
The ONLY way the other team scores is if your own player shoots it in his own net, like was the case today. Things like that should NOT happen in the 1st place. If you feel pressured you just let the other team touch it and its done. There is no need to panic because the other team CANT score so you should be playing with NO pressure.
very well said, No need for Price to wait, why would the puck be shot at our net if the Isles are getting a penalty?

It sucks, the result sucked, but, thats hockey, unfortunatly that happens in the game.

you learn from your bad experiences.

Galchenyuk x 27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
OneSharpMarble

Who passes to the goalie? Not a smart play ever.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:22 AM
22SteveBegin22

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaIsHockey View Post
The counter-argument to that, though, is that every once in a while the puck will find its way back there from the neutral zone, as was obviously proven tonight. With a one-goal lead in the third period, it seems like protecting against it might have been worth more than the extra 5 seconds or whatever of a sixth attacker.

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:49 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
Who passes to the goalie? Not a smart play ever.
The Devils do it fairly regularly with Brodeur.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:53 AM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
Yup, because then that opens up one of the defenseman on the side to get a good outlet pass after the forechecker goes after Brodeur.

Goalies who are good puck-handlers will be passed the puck.

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:55 AM
CanadaIsHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
The counter-argument to that, though, is that every once in a while the puck will find its way back there from the neutral zone, as was obviously proven tonight. With a one-goal lead in the third period, it seems like protecting against it might have been worth more than the extra 5 seconds or whatever of a sixth attacker.
Counter-Counter-argument: With the new rule that every time a penalty is called, the face-off is in the offensive zone, that should not happen anymore. You're under pressure then let the other team just touch the puck, you have nothing to lose. Do not gamble or make any risky plays. Remember the ONLY way for the other team to score is if you score in YOUR OWN NET.

CanadaIsHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:07 AM
OneSharpMarble

Quote:
The difference is that it is a regular play with the devils, I have rarely if ever seen anyone send the puck Prices way. It's a weird play and the Devils probably practice it whereas the Habs don't use it.

Suffice to say I doubt we will ever see it used again on the Habs.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:30 AM
Stradale

Quote:
If they practiced it often, thats ok since Brodeur will always be ready and prepared to receive a pass but i bet any coach wouldnt want to see that. You never know if the pucks will get a crazy bound or whatever so you do take the chance to ask your goalie to stop pucks from the both teams in the ice.

Like i said, you never know what will happen to a puck coming toward the net. See Brodeur here, he's the number 1

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:35 AM
bollos

I thought it was a nice shot....back hand just inside the right post.

bollos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:37 AM
Belso

If you ask me, Ryan may have lied. He may just have wanted to throw it behind the net and missed. I'm calling him a liar. I'm just saying it doesn't matter what he was trying to do. He slipped up and better now when he's young and the season is young too then if he did it at the end of the season or, god forbid, during the play-offs!!

I'm pretty sure he's going to try a different play under those circumstances next time...

Old
11-25-2008, 01:44 AM
Namso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belso View Post
Remember Nicklas Backstrom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T9NZn1lskE

It could happen to anyone...

He has 20 pts in 21 games this season..

Cut the guy some slack.. It had nothing to do with leaving the crease at the wrong time. He made a mistake and he shouldn't do it again... Well let's hope he won't
I'm not trying to hate on Obyrne but the Backstrom play was so different.

Backstrom's thinking that if he doesnt get rid of this puck then the pen might just shoot it in the net. He had to shoot the puck, there was no other play for him possible. He was just unlucky that he shot it into his own net.

OByrne, if we believe that he didnt know about the penalty, had no reason to throw the puck at the net. He had lots of other options. Unlike in soccer, you rarely see passes to the goalie. Why? Because you can shoot it behind the net, which you cant in soccer.

It was a mistake, and no he shouldnt be sent to Hamilton because of it. What is he going to learn, not to shoot the puck into his own net? It was a mistake.

He should be sent to Hamilton because he has trouble making outlet passes, playing physical, and properly defending speedsters. These stuff he can learn more of.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:54 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

Backstrom's thinking that if he doesnt get rid of this puck then the pen might just shoot it in the net. He had to shoot the puck, there was no other play for him possible. He was just unlucky that he shot it into his own net.

OByrne, if we believe that he didnt know about the penalty, had no reason to throw the puck at the net. He had lots of other options. Unlike in soccer, you rarely see passes to the goalie. Why? Because you can shoot it behind the net, which you cant in soccer.

It was a mistake, and no he shouldnt be sent to Hamilton because of it. What is he going to learn, not to shoot the puck into his own net? It was a mistake.

He should be sent to Hamilton because he has trouble making outlet passes, playing physical, and properly defending speedsters. These stuff he can learn more of.
I agree on that. But i still want him to be sent to Hamilton, for his own good. I thought he played very bad for the last 5-6 games, he looks so nervous with the puck and tries to get rid of it as soon as possible. He doesnt take the time to think before making a pass or a play and thats because he is not playing with confidence. I know Carbo is trying to help him find his confidence back but i think its just making thing worse. Carbo should sent him back to Hamilton, getting fresh air, regain his confidence for a couple of weeks and then bringing back. Seriously, i hated him for the last 5 games because he was directly the cause of at least a goal in each game but after seing his "goal" tonight, i was feeling bad for him and my hate was gone. I just wish Carbo to set him free by sending back to Hamilton, he will probably feel better.

EDIT: But knowing Carbo, he will not send Obyrne to Hamilton but he will call up another defenseman instead and alternating them.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 01:54 AM
cohenzee

Quote:
The Isles do it with DiPietro as well. But like it has been said, that a rarity in the NHL.

cohenzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:00 AM
Belso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namso View Post

My only point is that these things can happen to anyone at anytime. But I do agree with you that if Ryan's overall game needs honing, then that is the right reason to send him down. Not this goal....

Old
11-25-2008, 02:03 AM
Namso

OByrne didnt score into his own net because he's not a good defenseman, it was just a MISTAKE, Markov could have done, heck Lidstrom could have done it.

This play was so different from the goal Lucic scored on Sat. That goal was because he played bad defense, he was schooled. Similarly other plays of recent, including taking stupid penalties can be used in arguments that he is a bad dman.

However, this play CANNOT be used in that argument. This play was a mistake, a simple, brutal mistake but still only a mistake. To say that Obyrne isnt a good dman because he scored into his net is stupid because that play is just so unique.

I do believe OByrne should be sent to Hamilton, and I dont think he's a good dman, but seeing the amount of hate he's gotten over that play makes me sad, because it was just something very unlucky. I also credit him for facing the music after the game, he didnt shy away.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 02:30 AM
Carboneer

1) Ref raises hand
2) Any HABS player touches the puck
3) Goalie bounces

...nothing more to it, that's the way it goes down.

Carboneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Iwishihadacup

O'byrne is playing too much these days, this is the only thing that is bad with him staying, I got nothing nothing against him playing with the habs and I'm sure Carbo neither

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Why would you rush the play anyway since automatically the faceoff is going in the offensive zone.....

It's going too fast for O'B. The guy skates well but his decision making is not going as far as his legs....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Why would you rush the play anyway since automatically the faceoff is going in the offensive zone.....

It's going too fast for O'B. The guy skates well but his decision making is not going as far as his legs....
Agreed. It didn't matter if the Islander touched the puck the faceoff was going to be in the Isles zone anyways. O'Byrne was rushing a play and trying to play keep away like it was the last minute of the game with us down a goal and an extra attacker on the ice.

Scotianhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:30 AM
TheCH*

Why are so many people getting so defensive for O'Byrne? He made a dumbass play, he is gonna get flak for it. Thats how life iS!

TheCH* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:39 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
The difference is that it is a regular play with the devils, I have rarely if ever seen anyone send the puck Prices way. It's a weird play and the Devils probably practice it whereas the Habs don't use it.

Suffice to say I doubt we will ever see it used again on the Habs.
They do send it back to Price all the time. He's one of the better puck handling goalies in the league.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:41 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post

I'm guessing he didn't know it was going to be a penalty.

Sure it's a dumbass play but it can happen to everyone. On the plus side, he's gotten that out of the way and we can't do anything about it, but I doubt it ever happens to him again.

fufonzo is offline   Reply With Quote