HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Bolduc called up

Old
11-26-2008, 04:37 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
that's just a positive way of saying that if he's ahead of the play and skating in full stride, his skating is fine!

Wellwood is a poor skater... I don't see how you can mask that? But there's no denying he's a smart player... he thinks the game as well as anyone, despite his poor physical tools. He's smart enough to play positionally well to not let his skating hurt him. Gotta give him credit for that.

But he is definitely not a good skater at all IMO. He's good enough to get by because he's smart enough to figure out how to get by with his poor skating... and the same is true for the rest of his physical tools... he's poor physically, his shot is average at best, and his endurance leaves a lot to be desired.... but he's smart enough to know where to be positionally and smart enough to cover for his other deficiencies. This season especially, I think he's been able to play better because he's in much better shape as well.

Put Wellwood's brain in Pyatt's body, with Raymond's explosive skating, and you have one of the most dominant players in the game! add Burrows' work ethic and intensity... you'd have Ovechkin!
Not that I disagree with you nfiTO - as I've always felt Wellwood is relatively slow too. But he seems to get this label as a 'deceptively fast' guy all the time. I recall when he was playing in Toronto he was actually cited as 'one of Toronto's fastest players' - given that team wasn't exactly burning it up with foot speed, but that's still fairly impressive.

I dunno why, but I suspect he's faster then given credit for at times.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:48 PM
sticknrink

Wellwood skates fine; besides, his linemates typically aren't very fast so it makes no sense to wish he was faster. The fast guys are already loaded on one line (Kesler's).

sticknrink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:51 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

I think Wellwood is a good skater, he just doesn't always to full-out. He does have breakaway speed (case in point his goal against the Rangers).

edit: Good luck to Bolduc, he'll need it trying to carry Hordichuk and Brown all night. Also, sorry for avatar-jacking you snr, just caught that now!

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 04:56 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Not that I disagree with you nfiTO - as I've always felt Wellwood is relatively slow too. But he seems to get this label as a 'deceptively fast' guy all the time. I recall when he was playing in Toronto he was actually cited as 'one of Toronto's fastest players' - given that team wasn't exactly burning it up with foot speed, but that's still fairly impressive.

I dunno why, but I suspect he's faster then given credit for at times.
That's pretty much the way I've always seen it. He's not a burner, he's got an ugly stride, and he's not always going all out but when he wants to he can be a quick player. The play that always sticks out to me is when he made that great move on Markov, he pulls away from the backcheckers pretty easily. Similarly, I remember another play where he got in behind Chris Campoli (I think, my memory might be wrong on the player), who's a pretty good skater himself, and managed to create separation on a partial breakaway. I'm not an expert at this stuff by any stretch, but he's always seemed like a quicker player to me.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Edler Statesman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcillo View Post
Actually, as much as he sucks at hockey, I wouldn't mind if Brown got some icetime against Calgary. He's a tough SOB and can throw down with anyone on the Flames roster. If you keep his icetime to 5-7 minutes he could be effective - I'd wager on a Brown/Prust fight pretty early on in the first game.
CALLED IT!@

Edler Statesman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:02 AM
Kid_Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
I think Wellwood is a good skater, he just doesn't always to full-out. He does have breakaway speed (case in point his goal against the Rangers).

edit: Good luck to Bolduc, he'll need it trying to carry Hordichuk and Brown all night. Also, sorry for avatar-jacking you snr, just caught that now!
That's why I said I thought you were sticknrink in a post a while back, you had his avatar with Mitchell's face! :p

Kid_Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:20 AM
Matty

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers View Post
That's one thing I've noticed as well and it seems fairly typical of cerebral players. Generally speaking, Wellwood seems slow but every once in awhile, he'll suddenly pick his speed up significantly.

I really wish we had someone with Pyatt's body who could shoot the damn puck. Wellwood needs someone to pass to...

Matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 01:22 AM
windflare

Pyatt can shoot the puck. He just doesn't have good offensive hockey sense to get open, or have quick hands/good hand eye to get the puck off fast, resulting usually in him not being able to get the shot off.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 03:32 AM
Tripwyre

Oh yeah, Pyatt has one of the better wrist-shots on the whole team. He just can't get in position to let it rip. Look at the goal against Detroit and tell me that guy can't shoot the puck.

Anyway, Bolduc wasn't really noticeable tonight, and I was trying extra-hard to get a read on him. It's good in a way, because he wasn't noticeable the way Edler was noticeable. At the same time, you expect more fire and 'jam' from a call-up fighting for a spot, but it's tough to get a read on him when really no one played inspired hockey tonight beyond the first period.

If he doesn't show much over the next handful of games and Johnson is still weeks away, I'd like to see what Bliznak can do.

Tripwyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:16 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripwyre View Post
Oh yeah, Pyatt has one of the better wrist-shots on the whole team. He just can't get in position to let it rip. Look at the goal against Detroit and tell me that guy can't shoot the puck.
Hate to be a dick, but everyone on the team can shoot the puck like that. It wasn't anything special...it's something you learn when you're about 9-10 in minor hockey.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 04:46 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Bolduc: I had never seen him play until tonight and was favourably impressed

has size below Pyatt, Bernier
has grit similar to Pyatt, below Bernier
has speed - definitely faster than Pyatt, Bernier
has hockey sense better than Pyatt, Bernier
has good positioning similar to Pyatt, better than Bernier
has defensive responsibility maybe like Pyatt, better than Bernier
scoring touch too early to tell but maybe on par with Burrows 2 years ago? wild guess as there werent too many scoring chances on that line

My initial peanut gallery scouting report on his potential among 4th liners (as our 1st & 3rd lines are set and only wellwood & raymond could be considered, IMO, bona fide 2nd line guys) is that he has more potential than Pyatt, Bernier, Johnson, Krog, Rypien, Hordichuk, Brown, Ouellet.

This guy is for real

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 05:38 AM
KillerWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Bolduc: I had never seen him play until tonight and was favourably impressed

has size below Pyatt, Bernier
has grit similar to Pyatt, below Bernier
has speed - definitely faster than Pyatt, Bernier
has hockey sense better than Pyatt, Bernier
has good positioning similar to Pyatt, better than Bernier
has defensive responsibility maybe like Pyatt, better than Bernier
scoring touch too early to tell but maybe on par with Burrows 2 years ago? wild guess as there werent too many scoring chances on that line

My initial peanut gallery scouting report on his potential among 4th liners (as our 1st & 3rd lines are set and only wellwood & raymond could be considered, IMO, bona fide 2nd line guys) is that he has more potential than Pyatt, Bernier, Johnson, Krog, Rypien, Hordichuk, Brown, Ouellet.

This guy is for real
Wow you're scouting abilities are amazing, especially since you can conclude this after all but one game. More potential than Bernier?... and I don't think you can compare him to guys like Hordichuk, Brown and Oullet, nonetheless he didn't make any glaring errors out there which is good.

Last edited by KillerWhale: 11-28-2008 at 05:50 AM.
KillerWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 02:41 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

As I said in the GDT, I liked Bolduc's game. He is a VERY strong skater and he made some good, smart plays with the puck. Got owned on faceoffs, but there's definitely some promise there as a grinding forward. I'd like to see more of him, I thought he did well.

~Canucklehead~

Mr. Canucklehead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 02:42 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
Wellwood-Sundin-Bernier

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 02:43 PM
anguscertified
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cao View Post
Hate to be a dick, but everyone on the team can shoot the puck like that. It wasn't anything special...it's something you learn when you're about 9-10 in minor hockey.
yea, but doing it in an NHL game is a different story. Pyatt has a very good shot, usually just takes him a while to get it off.

anguscertified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:14 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icon View Post
Wow you're scouting abilities are amazing, especially since you can conclude this after all but one game. More potential than Bernier?... and I don't think you can compare him to guys like Hordichuk, Brown and Oullet, nonetheless he didn't make any glaring errors out there which is good.
For a 4th line guy, yes. Bernier was brought in to play with the Sedins as a top 6 forward if you recall and I believe that experiment is over for now? Anyway, I did preface that it was a comment from left field ie based on 1 game.

I believe the coaches were pleased with Bolduc's play for a first NHL game. Anyway, lets see how he does saturday on HNIC

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 07:24 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I still think Bernier should be given a shot in the top 6, obviously not with the Sedins now with Demitra doing so well, but to add some grit on the right side of the second line.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote