HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Traveling to LA from NYC for MLS Cup / Kings game?

Old
11-17-2008, 10:47 PM
nyrmetros

vCash: 500
Traveling to LA from NYC for MLS Cup / Kings game?

Hi everyone. I'm from NYC, and I am trying to travel to LA for MLS Cup on Sunday between the NY RedBulls and the Columbus Crew. I'm also a big Rangers / Hockey fan, and I noticed that on Sat night you folks are hosting Denver at the Staples Center. I plan on staying near the Home Depot Center in Carson. Being that I'm from NYC and we have trains that go everywhere..... How would a person with no knowledge of LA whatsoever get to the Staples Center and back from Carson via public transit? Thank you for any and all advice that can be offered!

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I'll be at both as well, but I'm thinking of selling my MLS Cup tickets because as a Galaxy season seat holder, I have no interest in seeing NYRB and the ****ing Crew playing.

You're going to have to rent a car. I guess you could take a bus, but I don't know if they're running after the game.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Goallum

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=569700

Check out this thread, especially post #4 with links to other similar threads.

In short, I hope you know how to drive a car, and can find your way to a Hertz shuttle. Good luck!

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
kingpest19

Id say Metrolink but not sure if they run that late. If not good luck.

kingpest19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:08 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

The first thing to get out of your head is the excellent public transit system NYC has. LA's is abysmal in comparison. Rent a car. You'll have no problem driving in LA. It's a breeze compared to NYC.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2008, 11:31 PM
nyrmetros

There's gonna be no budget for renting a car. I might be sleeping on a sidewalk somewhere if I can't find a hotel floor to sleep on. lol. That sux about no public transit after a game.

Old
11-17-2008, 11:53 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrmetros View Post
There's gonna be no budget for renting a car. I might be sleeping on a sidewalk somewhere if I can't find a hotel floor to sleep on. lol. That sux about no public transit after a game.
There is most definitely a way. Don't listen to the haters. Public transit in LA does suck but you can get to plenty of places. Sometimes it is hard to figure out though. Let me know exactly where you'll be and where you want to go and I'll figure out the easiest options. I can tell you right now that there is without a doubt a bus that goes from the Artesia Park & Ride (near Home Depot center) and right into downtown. I ride it everyday and they run 7 days a week and up until about 12-1am. Give me more specific info on where your staying/coming from etc and I'll get you there cheap!

A car is without a doubt the best option but if you are on a budget (I know how that is), you can still make it happen.

Buddy The Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:11 AM
nyrmetros

Gosh, I need a plane ticket first don't I !!!
eek!

The hotel is The Clarion Hotel® South Bay in Carson.

Last edited by nyrmetros: 11-19-2008 at 03:36 AM.
Old
11-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Gosh, I need a plane ticket first don't I !!!
eek!

The hotel is The Clarion Hotel® South Bay in Carson.
Ok you need Metro 446/447 (bus). You will pick it up at the Carson Mall Entrance / Avalon Blvd (SE side of the street) or you can pick it up at the NE corner of Del Amo and Avalon which is the Northwest corner of the mall. This bus does usually go all the way to downtown but I have looked at the timetable for you and it looks like it doesn't do that on the weekends. It will stop at the Artesia Transit Center (ATC) as that is the end of the line. You will need to transfer to bus 444 or 445.

Here is a link to the timetable for 446/447. This is what will take you to the Artesia Transit Center.

Here is a link to 444. Takes you to Downtown.

Here is a link to 445. Takes you to Downtown.

You really don't need to look at the timetable for 444 or 445 to get to Downtown as they will usually show up about 5-10 min after you get dropped off at the Artesian Transit center. But I'd print out all of them just in case. Note there are separate timetables for the weekends. The 445 will leave from ATC at 6:28pm and get you there before gametime (around 7pm) or you can take the 444 at 6:58pm and that will get you there about 10min before gametime.

Tell the bus driver you are going to Staples and they will tell you what exit to take. It will probably be Pico or Olympic. The bus runs straight up Figueroa which is the street Staples is on. You'll drive right by it if you miss your stop so you can't miss it.

Coming back you can take the 444, 445, 446 or 447 to ATC. The 446 and 447 will take you directly to your destination. The others will mean you'll have to stop at the ATC and get on the 446 or 447 from there. It just depends when you plan on leaving from Staples. There is a 446 leaving from 7th/Flower (just north of Staples) at 10:57Pm so you could probably catch that just after 11pm. The next 446 is at 11:57pm. I'd strongly advise you to not get on the 45 (the late night option - that is 45 not 445) as that takes side streets and goes through South LA in some not so nice neighborhoods. All of the buses I listed travel on the Freeway from ATC to Downtown so you won't be subjected to LA's worst neighborhoods. Fare is $2.45 each way.

If you plan on hanging out in Downtown after the game and would like info on bars etc., check out the other thread already linked in a previous post or let me know what your looking for and I'll let you know what is around. You also might see if the hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the ATC as it is only 3 or 4 miles away from where you are staying. It will probably save you time. Also, be 5-10min early from what the timetable says. The bus will no doubt show up 5-10min LATE but the day you are on time, the bus is early. With such large gaps in bus times, you don't want to miss one!

If you are confused let me know and Good Luck!

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-19-2008 at 12:14 PM.
Old
11-19-2008, 02:17 PM
PRMan

Who would have thought that drivelikejoewho actually takes public transit?

PRMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 02:38 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
What's MLS?

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRMan View Post
Who would have thought that drivelikejoewho actually takes public transit?
Haha! it's a reference to a band called Drive Like Jehu.. which a few people made reference to recently. So at least a few people get it. Maybe I should change it to ridelikejoewho?

The bus/train is cheaper, quicker and you can pretend like you are helping the environment or making a political statement while doing it. Not only that, my company gives me money to ride it so it costs me about $30 a month to get to work. If I drove, I'd pay gas prices from LBC to Downtown, parking (about $100 a month) and it would take me about an hour to an hour and a half. I get to work in about 45 min on the bus.

I don't like to ride the blueline though. I've seen some shady crap on that and I don't feel like dealing with drama on my way to and from work. The metrolink and red line are ok though.

Old
11-19-2008, 03:29 PM
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
What's MLS?
A growing league of a growing sport here in the USA

As a fellow NHL fan I can understand how it can be hard recognize.

mbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 04:12 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivelikejoewho View Post
Ok you need Metro 446/447 (bus). You will pick it up at the Carson Mall Entrance / Avalon Blvd (SE side of the street) or you can pick it up at the NE corner of Del Amo and Avalon which is the Northwest corner of the mall. This bus does usually go all the way to downtown but I have looked at the timetable for you and it looks like it doesn't do that on the weekends. It will stop at the Artesia Transit Center (ATC) as that is the end of the line. You will need to transfer to bus 444 or 445.

Here is a link to the timetable for 446/447. This is what will take you to the Artesia Transit Center.

Here is a link to 444. Takes you to Downtown.

Here is a link to 445. Takes you to Downtown.

You really don't need to look at the timetable for 444 or 445 to get to Downtown as they will usually show up about 5-10 min after you get dropped off at the Artesian Transit center. But I'd print out all of them just in case. Note there are separate timetables for the weekends. The 445 will leave from ATC at 6:28pm and get you there before gametime (around 7pm) or you can take the 444 at 6:58pm and that will get you there about 10min before gametime.

Tell the bus driver you are going to Staples and they will tell you what exit to take. It will probably be Pico or Olympic. The bus runs straight up Figueroa which is the street Staples is on. You'll drive right by it if you miss your stop so you can't miss it.

Coming back you can take the 444, 445, 446 or 447 to ATC. The 446 and 447 will take you directly to your destination. The others will mean you'll have to stop at the ATC and get on the 446 or 447 from there. It just depends when you plan on leaving from Staples. There is a 446 leaving from 7th/Flower (just north of Staples) at 10:57Pm so you could probably catch that just after 11pm. The next 446 is at 11:57pm. I'd strongly advise you to not get on the 45 (the late night option - that is 45 not 445) as that takes side streets and goes through South LA in some not so nice neighborhoods. All of the buses I listed travel on the Freeway from ATC to Downtown so you won't be subjected to LA's worst neighborhoods. Fare is $2.45 each way.

If you plan on hanging out in Downtown after the game and would like info on bars etc., check out the other thread already linked in a previous post or let me know what your looking for and I'll let you know what is around. You also might see if the hotel has a shuttle that will take you to the ATC as it is only 3 or 4 miles away from where you are staying. It will probably save you time. Also, be 5-10min early from what the timetable says. The bus will no doubt show up 5-10min LATE but the day you are on time, the bus is early. With such large gaps in bus times, you don't want to miss one!

If you are confused let me know and Good Luck!
Wow thanx for the great info! I just booked my flight and the hotel is set so I can't wait for my first visit to LA. MLS Cup and a west coast hockey game. !

And now, what's the best way to get the cheapest possible ticket to a Kings game? Box office? Stub Hub? Ticketmaster? TicketExchange? Or a tout? And any word on projected attendance for this game?

Last edited by nyrmetros: 11-19-2008 at 04:17 PM.
Old
11-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
Wow thanx for the great info! I just booked my flight and the hotel is set so I can't wait for my first visit to LA. MLS Cup and a west coast hockey game. !

And now, what's the best way to get the cheapest possible ticket to a Kings game? Box office? Stub Hub? Ticketmaster? TicketExchange? Or a tout? And any word on projected attendance for this game?
Doubt it will sell out so the box office should be an option (last resort in my opinion). The box office may or may not have $10 tickets for the nose bleeds. Otherwise, I'd try losangeles.craigslist.org or ebay and then letsgokings.com has a ticket exchange where season ticket holders (and others) usually sell tickets for cheap. Diehards can often be had for $11 a ticket. You can also try getting them from a scalper. Don't waste your money at ticketmaster you can find them plenty of other places for cheaper.

Old
11-19-2008, 04:42 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Doubt it will sell out so the box office should be an option (last resort in my opinion). The box office may or may not have $10 tickets for the nose bleeds. Otherwise, I'd try losangeles.craigslist.org or ebay and then letsgokings.com has a ticket exchange where season ticket holders (and others) usually sell tickets for cheap. Diehards can often be had for $11 a ticket. You can also try getting them from a scalper. Don't waste your money at ticketmaster you can find them plenty of other places for cheaper.
$10 tix sound good to me... so what the best way for me to do that? I checked the Kings webpage but all I saw was $30 seats as the cheapest??

Old
11-19-2008, 05:52 PM
mysteryman

Check out craigslist.org I bet you could pick up a ticket mega cheap.

mysteryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2008, 05:54 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
$10 tix sound good to me... so what the best way for me to do that? I checked the Kings webpage but all I saw was $30 seats as the cheapest??
The Kings website? Yeah that is ticketmaster prices. The $10 seats are available at the box office of SOME home games and are subject to availability. There is no way to guarantee you'll get a ticket for that price if you show up. I'd assume you might be able to talk a scalper down to $10 for a ticket especially if you'll be by yourself. I think your best bet is to go to the forum I listed (letsgokings.com) and check out the ticket exchange. There will be people posting tickets right up until a few hours before the game. I looked on craigslist but didn't see anything reasonable. I'd check there up until the day of the game. I guess that Avs are a bigger draw than most teams.

Check ebay too.. and go back tomorrow.. the next day. You'll find something you just have to do a little work.

Last edited by Buddy The Elf: 11-19-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old
11-19-2008, 06:12 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
The Kings website? Yeah that is ticketmaster prices. The $10 seats are available at the box office of SOME home games and are subject to availability. There is no way to guarantee you'll get a ticket for that price if you show up. I'd assume you might be able to talk a scalper down to $10 for a ticket especially if you'll be by yourself. I think your best bet is to go to the forum I listed (letsgokings.com) and check out the ticket exchange. There will be people posting tickets right up until a few hours before the game. I looked on craigslist but didn't see anything reasonable. I'd check there up until the day of the game. I guess that Avs are a bigger draw than most teams.

Check ebay too.. and go back tomorrow.. the next day. You'll find something you just have to do a little work.
After Thursday night I have no more internet so I'd like to get something locked up before then.

Old
11-19-2008, 06:22 PM
Buddy The Elf
Kings!

Quote:
After Thursday night I have no more internet so I'd like to get something locked up before then.
Worst case scenario you should be able to by a ticket at the window for $25/$30. I am sure you can get them from a scalper too. I don't think the Kings have sold out a game besides the home opener and even then there were tons of empty seats.

Old
11-20-2008, 04:32 PM
nyrmetros

good news. Between 5 - 12 NYC/NJ folks are going to the Kings game with me, so transport is no problem. Look out for the New Yorkers!

Old
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
TonySCV
3 in 5 > 3 in 6

Quote:
good news. Between 5 - 12 NYC/NJ folks are going to the Kings game with me, so transport is no problem. Look out for the New Yorkers!
Awesome! Enjoy the game... keep your eye on #8... he'll wow you pretty much all evening long.

- T

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 08:18 PM
nyrmetros

So coming from NYC and Rangers country, what should I be on the look out for in Kings Land ? Any special traditions or chants the fans have, any taunting we can do in either direction? etc...

How much is beer at the new Forum?

Old
11-20-2008, 10:27 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Quote:
How much is beer at the new Forum?
How much cash did you bring with you?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-20-2008, 10:49 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
How much cash did you bring with you?
lol
Well it can't be more than at the Garden right ??