HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: internet fraud

Old
11-28-2008, 04:00 AM
BerubeBox*

vCash: 500
OT: internet fraud

2 days ago someone used my bank card to buy 125$ worth of stuff from converse inc. I had heard about internet fraud for a while and I thought it only happened to old/dumb people, or people who weren't very internet savvy. I'm very internet savvy. I keep all my AV and spyware stuff up-to-date and laugh at every email attempt, so there's no way it could have happened unless someone used a pretty damn good program to get my information.

Has this happened to anyone else?

BerubeBox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Chuck Downie
Berube is Chief

Hasn't happened to me......but I was the guy at the bank who had to deal with all the irrate people who had this happen to them. It sucked.

Chuck Downie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 08:57 AM
WeberStreit

Never happend to me.
But do you have children? Probably your son used it...

WeberStreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 09:09 AM
Opus

I got chucked, and you got ****ed!

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:43 AM
rayearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerubeBox View Post
2 days ago someone used my bank card to buy 125$ worth of stuff from converse inc. I had heard about internet fraud for a while and I thought it only happened to old/dumb people, or people who weren't very internet savvy. I'm very internet savvy. I keep all my AV and spyware stuff up-to-date and laugh at every email attempt, so there's no way it could have happened unless someone used a pretty damn good program to get my information.

Has this happened to anyone else?
Probably some cashier took just your number from somewhere you were shopping recently. Did/could you dispute the charge?

rayearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:52 AM
MountainHawk

If you used it at a restaurant lately, they could have stolen the information. That's the most common situation, because they take your card out of your sight.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 11:54 AM
MountainHawk

Oh, and you need to get your credit reports immediately, make sure that no new accounts are open, and possibly put a credit freeze on with the 3 major credit companies so that no one can open new accounts until you say so.

Old
11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
mm6492

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Oh, and you need to get your credit reports immediately, make sure that no new accounts are open, and possibly put a credit freeze on with the 3 major credit companies so that no one can open new accounts until you say so.
agreed

mm6492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

It happened to me once, a while back. I bought a cell phone off a website that ended up being compromised. A bunch of charges showed up on my card. I called the credit company, disputed it, they sent me an affidavit claiming I was telling the truth and poof, charges gone. Of course, they sent me a new card, too.

Dig Out Your Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:18 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 920
Quote:
If you used it at a restaurant lately, they could have stolen the information. That's the most common situation, because they take your card out of your sight.
That happened to me a few years ago while visiting Florida. By time I got back and received my bill, there was an excess of $2000 on my bill including a paid vacation to the Bahamas. The VP of Security at the CC company was all business but he backed me 100% and I owed nothing because all the charges didn't agree with my history. They had a good idea of the source, too, after I gave a detailed description of the establishment of my last legitimate purchase.

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 05:19 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
That's interesting. I'm glad you told me that because the bank didn't mention it. Who should I call exactly?

As for how it happened, I'm still 90% sure it was online somehow. The bank did say that it had been swiped (they have some way of knowing that), implying the old clone-job. But I just don't use the card for anything other than online purchases and gas pumps. Is it possible to steal the info by rigging a gas pump? Seems unlikely to me, but has anyone heard of it?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I swiped it a long time ago. It would have to be 3 months or more, because I'm positive it's been just online and gas pumps (never inside the station - who would bother?) since then. I have to wonder if a thief would wait on a stolen card for 3+ months. And as for the online purchases, I'm extremely safe when it comes to those. 99% amazon, and a few other things like stat tracker, but nothing that sounds even a little fishy.

One other thing. I did mention that my computer was pretty secure, but actually I'm not so sure about that. I get a lot of outgoing AIM noises when I haven't sent a msg. Sounds like a virus/worm to anyone? Maybe it's just a weird error, but it seems more likely my computer's being used to spam AIM. Norton doesn't come up with anything though, or spybot.

Last edited by BerubeBox*: 11-28-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old
11-28-2008, 05:29 PM
hfboardsuser

I worked for a major luxury American retailer as a fraud analyst, so I've seen or heard of pretty much everything.

-Your own computer is rarely the culprit; your data doesn't stay visible long enough, and it's not efficient to parse through thousands of keylog files to maybe pull out a few CCs.

-How do you manage your paper trail? Do you shred all bills before tossing? That's still a very popular route.

-Skimming at the pumps is increasing; they're easier to target than ATMs because they're often dirty and the staff don't go outside to check them.

USA Today story

-Online is still the major source of compromised data. It's too easy to break into websites you think are secure. I actually put together a proof-of-concept for the company I worked for, demonstrating how we were vulnerable on one of our external sites.

As said above, GO GET A CREDIT CHECK. Transunion and Equifax can do it for you.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 05:35 PM
MountainHawk

Quote:
That's interesting. I'm glad you told me that because the bank didn't mention it. Who should I call exactly?

As for how it happened, I'm still 90% sure it was online somehow. The bank did say that it had been swiped (they have some way of knowing that), implying the old clone-job. But I just don't use the card for anything other than online purchases and gas pumps. Is it possible to steal the info by rigging a gas pump? Seems unlikely to me, but has anyone heard of it?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe I swiped it a long time ago. It would have to be 3 months or more, because I'm positive it's been just online and gas pumps (never inside the station - who would bother?) since then. I have to wonder if a thief would wait on a stolen card for 3+ months. And as for the online purchases, I'm extremely safe when it comes to those. 99% amazon, and a few other things like stat tracker, but nothing that sounds even a little fishy.

One other thing. I did mention that my computer was pretty secure, but actually I'm not so sure about that. I get a lot of outgoing AIM noises when I haven't sent a msg. Sounds like a virus/worm to anyone? Maybe it's just a weird error, but it seems more likely my computer's being used to spam AIM. Norton doesn't come up with anything though, or spybot.
Yes, that sounds like a worm if you have AIM outgoing activity.

This really doesn't sound good.

There are three major credit reporting bureaus.

Experian

Experian's National Consumer Assistance
Phone: 888-397-3742

P.O. Box 2104
Allen, TX 75013

Trans Union

Fraud Victim Assistance Department
Phone: 800-680-7289
Fax: 714-447-6034

P.O. Box 6790
Fullerton, CA 92634-6790

Equifax

Consumer Fraud Division
Phone: 800-525-6285 or: 404-885-8000
Fax: 770-375-2821

P.O. Box 740241
Atlanta, GA 30374-0241

If you go to somewhere like freecreditreport.com, you'll be able to buy a credit report from all 3 of them for like $40. (The free one is only one of them, but you definitely want to get all three.)

Next, you may want to change you bank account numbers, if that has not already been done.

You'll definitely want to completely format c:\ and do a fresh reinstall if you can't explain the outgoing AIM activity. Remember to backup any data files you need after the reinstall is complete.

If there is any other strange activity on the credit reports, a security freeze is probably the way to go, and those credit bureau will help you with that.

While you may not ultimately be responsible for any fraudulent charges, it can still take hundreds of hours if you end up the victim of severe identity theft. Keep an eye on it for the next year or so. Paying the $40 to get the reports every 4-6 months for a while is a very sound investment.

Old
11-28-2008, 05:54 PM
Opus

I feel for bad for ya BerbubeBox, hope you get all this taken care of and no further damage is done.

Opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 02:55 AM
BerubeBox*

Thanks for the info.
Quote:
Yes, that sounds like a worm if you have AIM outgoing activity.

This really doesn't sound good.
I hear a random 2-note guitar riff every once in a while too. wtc is that??

Old
11-29-2008, 03:48 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Thanks for the info.I hear a random 2-note guitar riff every once in a while too. wtc is that??
I would be formatting the crap out of that hard drive ASAP.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 03:53 AM
Prudentius

Kinda an outsider to this board, but I live in Canada(Montreal) and card cloning is the most common in gas stations. It happens all the time. I can't even use my bank card anywhere in my part of the city because criminals literally have every gas stations cloned. I'm not saying it can't be online but I would more seriously consider the gas pumps rigging if I was you.

Prudentius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 09:30 AM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
-Skimming at the pumps
What does that mean?

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:08 AM
MountainHawk

Thieves put a device inside the card reading device at the pump, that allows their device to record your card information which they can then clone onto another card.

Old
11-29-2008, 10:35 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Throwin' my 2 cents in....

I agree that the gas stations are a likely cause for you. I don't know the exact details, but attendants can get a device that reads/stores credit info off your card when they scan it through. All it takes for them is to swipe your card, which can be done pretty quickly, especially if you're not paying attention. I think from there, depending on how sophisticated they are, they can actually make a physical card....but that's not really all that common. Most times, they just use the info online.

My buddy investigated a similar type thing, however the genius that did it bought a bunch of stuff and had it shipped to his REAL address. I believe he worked in a hotel at the front desk and copied all the info down. Most aren't all this dumb though.

I wish I could help you more, but honestly, the CC companies usually do most of the investigating because they reimburse you the money so its their loss. In my PD, if the bank or CC reimburse you, we'll take the report but we won't do an investigation because the companies do.

BTW - if you live in NJ, you are entitled to a free credit report every year. Just contact one of the companies Mountainhawk listed, and they'll send it to you.

Good luck!

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:37 AM
Jules801
Just Some Broad

Quote:
Thieves put a device inside the card reading device at the pump, that allows their device to record your card information which they can then clone onto another card.
I don't know how I didn't see your post. Glad I wasn't too off base....

I didn't think cloning was all that common...but you'd know better than me.

Jules801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 05:42 PM
turkinaa

I've had card numbers stolen from me, twice. Different cards and banks. Both times the bank caught them.

turkinaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 06:39 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
I would be formatting the crap out of that hard drive ASAP.
And now fantasysports.yahoo.com shows all the games' starting times as if I lived on the west coast. ie most of the starts are 4 pm.

New computer + vista + Norton = FAIL!

Old
11-29-2008, 08:54 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
And now fantasysports.yahoo.com shows all the games' starting times as if I lived on the west coast. ie most of the starts are 4 pm.

New computer + vista + Norton = FAIL!
I don't think that's an issue with your computer. It randomly happens to me from time to time as well. Yahoo is just funky sometimes.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2008, 10:39 PM
BerubeBox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
I don't think that's an issue with your computer. It randomly happens to me from time to time as well. Yahoo is just funky sometimes.
Yeah I think I remember that happening to me before too.

I realize I'm being very neurotic right now.