HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Strachan: Halak will be traded at deadline?

Old
10-18-2008, 03:37 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 500
Strachan: Halak will be traded at deadline?

I was watching The Score and Al Strachan said that Halak will be traded at the deadline. He mentioned that they would showcase him a bit more and than flip him at the deadline.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:41 AM
Beakermania*

See the Gaborik thread for detailed explanation of my thoughts.

1) There is no value in trading backup goalies
2) I don't want Denis as our backup... If Price goes down with an injury we are screwed.

Keep Halak as playoff insurance. If he proves himself trade him in the offseason and sign a reliable backup.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:49 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

I don't think there's any good reason to trade Halak during this season. He's a very good young goalie, that also seems to be a team player. My bet is that he hangs around with the Habs for a season or two, and then, when Price has a few years of experience under his belt, he can be let go to have a go at being a number one elsewhere (similar to Garon or Bryzgalov)

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 03:57 AM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

There may be more interest in him as the season goes on. You have to sell IF the price is high...you may not get that much back in the offseason.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Bumjoo Wang*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles View Post
There may be more interest in him as the season goes on. You have to sell IF the price is high...you may not get that much back in the offseason.
Sell just for the sake of selling? The management is content with the goalie duo we have. They've spent years putting a team together. Why would they sell elements of it just because someone's asking?

Bumjoo Wang* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:11 AM
Toro

Al is getting less and less credible. What would be the advantage of such a move?????:am azed:

Quote:
There is no reason to trade him in the next 2 seasons. Why trade him? please someone tell me why? what could he fetch us that we need? another backup???

Don't tell me we need a vet backup.
There is no need for a vet, We have a vet already teaching these boys. Show me a Vet that will be available that is better than Halak... cause Denis in Hamilton ain't it.

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 10-18-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:19 AM
FF de Mars

If Halak and a draft choice gets us that 4th d-man we need for a cup run, I'm all for it, but I doubt it happens.

FF de Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 04:58 AM
Marksman

Why is he even talking deadline deals in October? Its 4 months away, a lot could happen before then, always does in hockey.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:10 AM
RC51

I know Halak wants to be a #1 goalie and he is sure good enough.
Price and Halak as a set is within the top 3 in the NHL.
If someone wants Halak he had better be ready to pay.
If it's the case of 2nd goalies have no worth, then keep Halak.
But lets face facts, Halak is darn good and will sign for good price as it would be his first real NHL contract. Thats what the Habs have to offer in Halak. Nobody is selling this asset at a fire sale.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:36 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
There is no reason to trade him in the next 2 seasons. Why trade him? please someone tell me why? what could he fetch us that we need? another backup???

Don't tell me we need a vet backup.
There is no need for a vet, We have a vet already teaching these boys. Show me a Vet that will be available that is better than Halak... cause Denis in Hamilton ain't it.
It all depends on the situation.

Let's say (at the deadline) both Halak and Price are playing amazingly well and both showing they are/will be great starters - while the Habs are having a great season...

don't you think a few teams may be interested in a young goalie, who's showing he's ready for a starter job, costing less than a Mil per...

for something we lack, like let's say a C prospect + a vet back-up, or an experienced 4th D...

I mean, sure it's great to have two young goalies with loads of potential, but we also want to win at some point (like NOW), and since only one of the two will play in the P.O... if the one not playing can get us a good return (something that would help us win NOW - or help us in the long run), why not ?

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 06:40 AM
RC51

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
It all depends on the situation.

Let's say (at the deadline) both Halak and Price are playing amazingly well and both showing they are/will be great starters - while the Habs are having a great season...

don't you think a few teams may be interested in a young goalie, who's showing he's ready for a starter job, costing less than a Mil per...

for something we lack, like let's say a C prospect + a vet back-up, or an experienced 4th D...

I mean, sure it's great to have two young goalies with loads of potential, but we also want to win at some point (like NOW), and since only one of the two will play in the P.O... if the one not playing can get us a good return (something that would help us win NOW - or help us in the long run), why not ?
Yep, sure the Habs have Maxwell but if Gainey could land a top center prospect for Halak that might do it for me.

RC51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Blades 0f Steel

You ever hear Al(I have it on very good authority that Vinny wants out of Tampa) Strachan get anything right?

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 07:58 AM
GNick42

Quote:
I was watching The Score and Al Strachan said that Halak will be traded at the deadline. He mentioned that they would showcase him a bit more and than flip him at the deadline.
Don't think they will trade Halak. He's a good, cheap goalie...we won't get much for him so why trade him? Goalies don't really have much trade value right now around the league.

Unless he's asked Gainey for a trade...wants to be #1 man somewhere then it probably is true. Gainey is the type of guy who would try and help him get what he wants. But I hope not

GNick42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:02 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I always wondered how Mr Strachan was able to gain any credibility at any point of his career...

He comes off to me as a tabloid writer

Old
10-18-2008, 08:33 AM
A1
Everything is awful

No reason to trade him this year at all, next year we'll have to look into it because he will for sure get an offer sheet as a RFA.

A1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Next Best Thing*

Is it really such an outlandish claim? Even a monkey could have said that and it wouldn't be totally off base.

ALTHOUGH

I sense Gainey wants to maximize his asset a la Biron/Miller then make a move once the time is right which could very well be beyond this season. And also if history teaches us anything, it's good to have a backup in the playoffs.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:00 AM
couz

Gainey wont move him till he gets a good backup somewhere.

couz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Dark4ng3l

Halak has more value to us on his cheap contract than what we can get for him. Maybe in 2 years if he is more proven we can get a toskala kind of deal for him then maybe.

Dark4ng3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:38 AM
BaseballCoach

Quote:
Last year, folks could legitimately speculate about the Habs trading Huet at the deadline if Price and Halak were ready. Price had already won a Calder Cup and Huet was an impending free agent that the team might lose for nothing.

This year, there is absolutely no reason to trade Halak, short of getting an unexpected offer of a ridiculous overpayment. And even if this happened, the Habs would need to make a second move to get another reliable backup goaltender, because they surely aren't ready to put their Cup hopes on a Marc Denis or a Cedric Desjardins if Price should go down.

Halak is signed for this year at $750k and next year for $800k. He is still RFA after the contract is up. No one knows what the future will bring. In 1984, the Oilers had two young goalies and Andy Moog had to step in for Grant Fuhr who was hurt. THe Oilers won the Cup. Eventually, Moog moved on, but only in his late twenties. As long as your second goalie is not that expensive, I see no advantage to trading him.

In fact, it is almost the other way around. If the Habs had Marc Denis or Cedric Desjardins backing up Price, and the team was serious about a Cup run, they would LOVE to get their hands on a Jaroslav Halak from another team for a cap hit of $775k. He fits the team needs perfectly.

Keeper!

BaseballCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:41 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beakermania View Post
See the Gaborik thread for detailed explanation of my thoughts.

1) There is no value in trading backup goalies
2) I don't want Denis as our backup... If Price goes down with an injury we are screwed.

Keep Halak as playoff insurance. If he proves himself trade him in the offseason and sign a reliable backup.
Halak is no more playoff insurance than Denis...in fact Denis has more NHL and playoff experience.

I think the only way Gainey trades Halak is if he gets top dollar for him, otherwise, keep him as a cheap back up. It would be dumb to trade him just because we have 2 good young goalies.

You can't really say Halak is a "back up goalie", he is just starting his career and has not had prior chances at #1. Smith got Dallas Richards so obviously Halak could have good trade value at one point.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:44 AM
Blades 0f Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Halak is no more playoff insurance than Denis...in fact Denis has more NHL and playoff experience.
When did Denis play in the playoffs?!

Blades 0f Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:46 AM
Iwishihadacup

NONSENSE!

How many times will I have to explain it, right now, our depth is the following:

Price
Halak
Denis
Desjardin

Which is pretty solid

now if we remove Halah from the depth Chart we have this:

Price
Denis
Desjardin
Lacasse

And now imagine if Price Gets Hurt, it gives us a depth Chart of:

Denis
Dejardins
Lacasse
Mayers

NO FREAKING WAY

:teaaaaaaaaaaaaaaach:

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Kachino

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades 0f Steel View Post
When did Denis play in the playoffs?!
In Chicoutimi? I don't think he played in the playoffs with Columbus and Tampa Bay...

Kachino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post

I think the only way Gainey trades Halak is if he gets top dollar for him, otherwise, keep him as a cheap back up. It would be dumb to trade him just because we have 2 good young goalies.

You can't really say Halak is a "back up goalie", he is just starting his career and has not had prior chances at #1. Smith got Dallas Richards so obviously Halak could have good trade value at one point.
CORRECTION: the package contained Smith AND Jokinen AND Halpern for Richards AND Holmqvist

so basicly its Smith for Holmqvist
Jokinen+Halpern for Richards

So Basicly they just swapped young goalies

Ah and Denis never played in playoffs FYI

:Teaaaaaaaachh:

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2008, 10:07 AM
Ross MacLochness

No, he won't.

Ross MacLochness is offline   Reply With Quote