HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Witt or Odelein?

Closed Thread

Old
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
anonymous*

vCash: 500
Witt or Odelein?

These are the two most consistently talked about for trade and fit for the Flyers.

Who do you take?

Can Odelein "clear the porch"?

Can Witt play defense besides "clearing the porch"?

I honestly don't know much about either one.

How about any defenseman regardless of price or availability, who would you want?

Old
03-02-2004, 01:29 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Why not take both? Odie can be had for a bag of pucks and Witt would be a valuable player for us in the post-season, especially since Ther-rible plays like he's the size of Muggsy Bogues out there.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:32 PM
Rex88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside9711
Why not take both? Odie can be had for a bag of pucks and Witt would be a valuable player for us in the post-season, especially since Ther-rible plays like he's the size of Muggsy Bogues out there.
Alot of teams will ask about Odelein and it will be more like a fourth or third rounder to get him at the least. With the way the Caps try to do business they will ask even more for Witt. With that said I will take LO because of his experience, price, and his play this year has been good.
Had we held Weino this would not be an issue and he would have gotten more than a fifth rounder if indeed he was moved.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:36 PM
Cuiff

We need some muscle on line blue line and Witt would fill that void. It is not that I dislike Odelein but muscle is a more pressing need right now.

Last edited by Cuiff: 03-02-2004 at 02:07 PM.
Old
03-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Coburnfan05

I think Witt is far better then Odelein, that being said however I think Odelein would come a hell of allot cheaper.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:39 PM
donelikedinner

get witt it. nuff said.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:43 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GagsIsDaMan
I think Witt is far better then Odelein, that being said however I think Odelein would come a hell of allot cheaper.
My thoughts exactly.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:44 PM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
I like Witt alot more, if only because he's younger than Odie. That being said, there are other options that are less talked about who could offer most of the same tools as Witt.

Old
03-02-2004, 01:47 PM
donelikedinner

Quote:
I like Witt alot more, if only because he's younger than Odie. That being said, there are other options that are less talked about who could offer most of the same tools as Witt.
who?

Old
03-02-2004, 01:52 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
I think Odelein's experience would be welcome, especially in the playoffs.

Can Witt play D well enough, can Odelein take care of players around the crease?

What are some of the options you speak of?

Old
03-02-2004, 02:05 PM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Can Witt play D well enough, can Odelein take care of players around the crease?
Have you not watched the games we have had against the Crapitals this year?

The one game Witt was hitting everything with a Flyers emblem on it. He went low on Zeus on this one check but luckily Zeus was fine. Zeus also got up and went on to score a goal a few seconds later. Witt is a mean s.o.b. to have on your team. He will clear the porch, the steps and anything else that needs clearing.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:10 PM
anonymous*

Quote:
Originally Posted by swflyers8
Have you not watched the games we have had against the Crapitals this year?

The one game Witt was hitting everything with a Flyers emblem on it. He went low on Zeus on this one check but luckily Zeus was fine. Zeus also got up and went on to score a goal a few seconds later. Witt is a mean s.o.b. to have on your team. He will clear the porch, the steps and anything else that needs clearing.
I've watched, but he must not have made an impression on me. He did throw Somik into Amonte causing his knee sprain if I remember correctly.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:22 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by donelikedinner
who?
R.Salei (ana)
J.Smith (edm)
J.McKee (buf)

Old
03-02-2004, 02:29 PM
VaFlyer

I personally would like to have both, but I don't think that will happen. Why both? Well, Ragnarsson has become a liability in that he is always injured. I think I would even be willing to throw him in as part of the deal for either if it would make a difference. I am fine with Therien and Timander being 7th and 8th guys. Now what would it take to get Witt? That is the real question. The cost for deadline day defenseman is going to be high this year. If they would take Ragnarsson, Sharp and a 2nd round pick I would most definately do the deal. LO I think could be had for a 3rd. Look at the D if you did this:

Odelein/Desjardins
Witt/Johnsson
Markov/Pitkanen

No Timander and No Therien. This defense is simply better than the one that is currently playing for us. It is as simple as that.

Old
03-02-2004, 02:51 PM
blah

You over-valued Witt.

Also, I hope the Flyers do have enough respect for Ragnarsson not to send him to Washington if they did trade him. Which I doubt they would. Definite chemistry issues w/ that much midseason turnover to the blueline. So I can't see them adding both Odelein and Witt. One or the other would fill the void of crease clearer.

Old
03-02-2004, 03:04 PM
CNote
Get 'er done

Either guy would help but I'd take Witt if I had the chance....he'd be a great pick-up!

Old
03-02-2004, 03:15 PM
FlyersHomer DM03

My first choice, not on this thread so far, is Keith Carney. I think he combines the finer points of Odelin's game and Witt's game. Whether or not Anaheim will trade him and for how much remains uncertain. If we want a defense that ranks up with last season's that I thought was a pretty darn good D, I think we should look into getting both Witt and Odelin. Remember we are without Weinrich and Yush, two key veteran players. Trading Marcus Ragnarsson? I'd rather see him go than us maybe wasting Mike Richards or our '05 draft picks. Ragnarsson is what I'd say is 'adequate'--usually smart passing of the puck in his own zone, occasional offense but we dont need it from him, doesn't hit a lot, something we'd gain with Odelin and Witt.

We are going to get Lyle Odelin for Chicago's fourth--mark it down

A trade of Ragnarsson and maybe Randy Jones for Witt would be fine

Old
03-02-2004, 03:24 PM
VaFlyer

I truly believe that due to Witt's age he will demand alot in return. His value will probably be just below that of Gonchar, so Gonchar's trade will set the value for Witt. The reason Witt will only be that much less than Gonchar is the Gonchar trade will force others to add a defenseman from the few that are going to be moved. The reason I threw Ragnarsson into the trade mix was to offset Washington's loss of 2 defenseman in a week. If they move both, they will need to add someone who can play right away. With the deadline almost corresponding to Ragnarsson's return date, I think he could be an option. Odelein, or someone on his parallel, I believe will be here by the game against Ottawa, but that is just my opinion.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:32 PM
fan mao rong

It's a joke that people think Washington will take Ragnarsson in return for Witt. If there moving veterans why would they take another in return. I assume you all think Witt is the better player, so why take a lesser high salaried veteran in exchange for Witt. I even think Ragnarsson is more highly compensated and is under contract next season for $3.5 million. There's lots of other junk on this thread as well, but I forgot it. Maybe that stuff can be demolished shortly.

Old
03-02-2004, 04:47 PM
VaFlyer

FAN MAO RONG

If you read the original post about the inclusion of Ragnarsson in the deal, you can see that he is clearly part of a package. I just have trouble believing the Caps move 2 starting defenseman, their best 2 at that, and don't get anyone back who can actually play defense for them this year. Maybe you make it Therien, because his money disappears due to no contract next year and the Flyers pay the rest. Maybe you move Therien, Seidenberg and Sharp plus a pick for him, I don't know. But to say their is no way they take a defenseman back is not looking at the big picture for them. In all honesty if the Flyers paid the rest of Therien's contract this year, don't you think they would jump at it? He would be absolutely free and despite what we all think of him as a player, he is better on defense than everyone else they have except for the 2 they are moving. I know if I was the Caps and I could get him as a throw in for the rest of the year, and then not resign him, and get draft compensation for losing a FA, I would take him as a throw-in to the deal.

Old
03-02-2004, 05:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

I'll take Odelein over Witt.

Witt is highly over rated. He tends to go for the big hit and in trying to do so gets himself out of position. Thisnk Dan McGillis last year X's 10. Not going to be a good fit with Hitch.

Witt would also cost a bit more in assets than Odelein to aquire.

Old
03-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Brad*

Of the two, I'd take Witt.

Old
03-02-2004, 09:39 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
I would like to see us get Witt.

Old
03-02-2004, 10:32 PM
bobbyboucher24

I have always liked Witt, and still do. When we made the big Oates trade with Washington, I remember telling a friend that I was certain Witt was included in the package. Well, he wasn't, but thats in the past. I have liked the fire that he brings to the game. Like others have said, because of the probablr asking price, its probably wiser to go after Lyle, but I would prefer Witt price aside.

Old
03-03-2004, 12:27 AM
Tinordi24*

Was at the Caps game tonight and Witt had another monstrous game. Ever since we got rid of "give up the blue-line/turn the other cheek" Ron Wilsuck and his clone Butchy boy cassidy, Witt has gone back to his old self.

Under Hanlon he devestates everything in his sight. Under the right coach you can truly see how valuable a guy like Witt is. He is 29 and makes 1.6 mil.

If the Caps trade him it will be just like what a poster said..for a value similar to Gonchar. Witt is younger, cheaper and a superior playoff type Dman than the Goocher ever was.

Witt cleared a path of destruction thru the Panthers tonight and I got the sense that their players were just frightened of him outright when he was on the ice! We lost but he has continued his stellar play since we unloaded the Jagrl and Butchy.

He wont come cheap and if anything is under rated. But then again Im a Caps fan. Either way there is a reason that he has Vancouver, Dallas, Philly, Isles, Toronto, LA, Nashville and others inquiring about him.

Closed Thread