HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Van/Tor Tor/Col

Old
11-27-2008, 03:23 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
I guess I found this line a little misleading! A second for Antropov tells me you don't want him at all.
you're right... you did find it misleading.

A 2nd for Antropov is an offer you make when you're not a desperate buyer... you'll take the player but only if the price you pay is so good that you pay it now.

otherwise you wait, and see what other options are out there from now till the deadline.

that's why the value that most players get back is always highest at deadline time - more so than any other point in the season, more so than in the offseason as well. Because that's your last chance to buy before the playoffs. and at that point, if the canucks don't have other options, and still need to add a player like that, they will likely ante up and pay more... until then though, they have the luxury to wait it out for a better deal... Antropov, IMO, isn't the ideal addition to this team (that would be Sundin, a much superior player that won't cost anything to add). If ideal guys aren't available, then you look for lesser options... but we're a long way from that point.

but right now, I doubt you get more - especially from a team that has no reason to rush into a trade right now. That's just his value right now at this point in the season.

Now if we're sitting near the deadline, and Sundin signs elsewhere, and the canucks are struggling to get secondary scoring, that's when you look at proposals like this... maybe then adding all 3 of those guys makes sense... maybe then you even become desperate enough to move Schneider in such a deal (which IMO would be a terrible mistake!)... but that's 3 months from now!

right now, it makes no sense for the canucks... do I want to add Antropov? sure... just not enough *right now* to give up much value... could that change by the deadline? depending on how the team is playing - most definitely...

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:31 PM
eklunds source

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
Budaj plays well when he plays often, getting Toskala would cause a goalie controversy again and probably hurt the avs (see the Budaj/Theodore situation). Starting Goaltending is one of the spots thats doing well right now

plus, we like Wolski
Budaj's career average is 2.70 / 0.904 with 6 shutouts in 130 starts. That is not good goaltending no matter how you spin it. He has hot streaks, yes, but a lot of goaltenders do. If you're comfortable with Budaj as a starter that's fine, but... Right now Colorado is a game under 0.500, they made the playoffs last year on Theodore's shoulders, and the year before that they missed them (while being 3rd in the league in scoring). What does that tell you about Budaj?

Quote:
Just to let you know, I don't think Mats is coming to Vancouver, and any team who needs to make salary room for Sundin, will be looking for a good package for an expensive player. My offer gives you a complete line, while losing nothing of importants off your current team.
Your opinion of what Mats Sundin is going to do makes a difference?

It also gives us a lot of salary, two more contracts to deal with next year (while trying to resign a key players), and costs us the future.

Deals like this are why the Maple Leafs are in the position they're in - like trading Rask for Raycroft. NOT doing deals like this for the last while are why the Canucks are finally in a position where they have success now AND some talent in the pipeline. Not a lot, but more and more each year.

eklunds source is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:38 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
you're right... you did find it misleading.

... do I want to add Antropov? sure... just not enough *right now* to give up much value... could that change by the deadline? depending on how the team is playing - most definitely...
Man, you write a lot. You critcize me as if a started a thread proposing it. I remarked on a Canucks fan who proposed Hagman for Schneider, and that he'd like Antropov but didn't think it was realistic. I commented I would , as a Leaf fan, consider Antro and Poni for a 1st and 3rd, and for fun ("let's be creative) added how about the whole 1st line for Schneider (from his proposal) and the 1st (from my proposal) and added in Raymond. You are taking it way to seriously dude.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:45 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Your opinion of what Mats Sundin is going to do makes a difference?
My opinion is no better than yours. But I'm allowed to have an opinion.

Quote:
It also gives us a lot of salary, two more contracts to deal with next year (while trying to resign a key players), and costs us the future.
Is it Stajan's $1 750 000 or Poni's $2 000 000 that scares you?

Quote:
Deals like this are why the Maple Leafs are in the position they're in - like trading Rask for Raycroft. NOT doing deals like this for the last while are why the Canucks are finally in a position where they have success now AND some talent in the pipeline. Not a lot, but more and more each year.
Dude, your taking my "creative" proposal way too seriously, and well none of these proposals are anywhere near Rask for Raycroft.

Old
11-27-2008, 03:47 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Man, you write a lot. You critcize me as if a started a thread proposing it. I remarked on a Canucks fan who proposed Hagman for Schneider, and that he'd like Antropov but didn't think it was realistic. I commented I would , as a Leaf fan, consider Antro and Poni for a 1st and 3rd, and for fun ("let's be creative) added how about the whole 1st line for Schneider (from his proposal) and the 1st (from my proposal) and added in Raymond. You are taking it way to seriously dude.
sorry... I thought all I was doing was engaging in debate over whether such proposed transactions make sense ... and, like I usually do when I post, I was trying to effectively backup my reasoning as to why it wouldn't work... if you find it too much or too serious, sorry, I know I write a lot, but it's got me into a lot of interesting discussion in the past here.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:51 PM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO View Post
sorry... I thought all I was doing was engaging in debate over whether such proposed transactions make sense ... and, like I usually do when I post, I was trying to effectively backup my reasoning as to why it wouldn't work... if you find it too much or too serious, sorry, I know I write a lot, but it's got me into a lot of interesting discussion in the past here.
It's all good. I meant to put the at that point! I see enough of the Canucks here in Victoria, and watch a lot of the Leafs, and I think Antro and Poni add something the Canucks are lacking. I don't think this trade happens, and if it did, it would be closer to the deadline. The 3 player deal was just in fun.

Old
11-27-2008, 08:53 PM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Budaj's career average is 2.70 / 0.904 with 6 shutouts in 130 starts. That is not good goaltending no matter how you spin it. He has hot streaks, yes, but a lot of goaltenders do. If you're comfortable with Budaj as a starter that's fine, but... Right now Colorado is a game under 0.500, they made the playoffs last year on Theodore's shoulders, and the year before that they missed them (while being 3rd in the league in scoring). What does that tell you about Budaj?
It tells you Budaj hasnt been good.

Even if Budaj is by far the worst goaltender in the league, does moving up the 25th worst goaltender in the league make them that much better at the price of Wolski?

Toskala's ranking vs goalies with more than 10 GP

Save percentage: 28th
GAA: 29th

Budaj's ranking vs goalies with more than 10 GP

Save percentage: 19th
GAA: 14th

Now as we all know, stats dont tell the whole story, you need to watch any player for multiple games to get a good idea of his true level of play. Does anyone that has seen Toskala play think he's good? I've watched enough Leafs on HNIC over the last two seasons to see an average goaltender on his good days.

Giving him the benefit of the doubt that he's better than Budaj (I think they're equally bad), he is in no way worth Wolski. The only two players on the Avs I'd like FG to trade for Toskala are Brett Clark and/or Tyler Arnason.

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 09:18 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Vancouver doesn't do the first one.

The second one is decent.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
falconski
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
the year before I tend to blame on theodore, when a goaltender is 31-16-6...its not his fault that a team didnt make the playoffs

Also, want to take those stats when he wasnt in a tandem with an undeserving theodore...or behind theodore... that includes the second half of 06-07 and this season, I said Budaj plays well when he plays in a row consistently (all right, the beginning of the season, he along with half the goalies in the league were cold). I dont know if its a confidence issue or what, but I dont want to risk having another rotation of mediocre goaltending by getting toskala when Budaj has been playing fine since about game 6 this season(save for a game here and there). The issue right now is not goaltending

have you seen the avs offense recently? it needs help, and I have no idea why

falconski is offline   Reply With Quote