HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
11-26-2008, 05:07 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

vCash: 500
Official MMA Thread: Part VIII

Lots of events coming up in the next couple months, so there should be lots to talk about. Here's what's coming up in January:

Quote:
January 4, 2009: World Victory Road: Sengoku 7

Venue: Saitama Super Arena
Broadcast: None

* Takanori Gomi vs. Satoru Kitaoka (for vacant lightweight title)
* Kazuo Misaki vs. Jorge Santiago (for vacant middleweight title)
* Sanae Kikuta vs. Hidehiko Yoshida
* Yoshihiro Nakao vs. Antonio Silva
* Sergey Golyaev vs. Eiji Mitsuoka
* Mu Bae Choi vs. Dave Herman
* Muhammed "King Mo" Lawal vs. Yukiya Naito
* Maximo Blanco vs. Seigo Inoue
* Hidetada Irie vs. Minoru Kato
Quote:
January 17, 2009: UFC 93: Franklin vs Henderson
Venue: The 02
Broadcast: Pay Per View

MAIN CARD

* Dan Henderson vs. Rich Franklin
* Mark Coleman vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua
* Alan Belcher vs. Denis Kang
* Jeremy Horn vs. Rousimar Palhares
* Marcus Davis vs. Chris Lytle

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Alexandre Barros vs. Martin Kampmann
* Antonio Mendes vs. Eric Schafer
* Thomasz Drwal vs. Ivan Serati
* Tom Egan vs. John Hathaway
* Denis Siver vs. Nate Mohr
Quote:
January 24, 2009: Affliction: Day of Reckoning
Location Anaheim, Calif.
Venue: Honda Center
Broadcast: HDNet and Showtime PPV
MAIN CARD (PPV)

* WAMMA heavyweight champion Fedor Emelianenko vs. Andrei Arlovski
* Josh Barnett vs. Gilbert Yvel
* Vitor Belfort vs. Matt Lindland
* Renato "Babalu" Sobral vs. Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou
* Chris Horodecki vs. Dan Lauzon
* Paul Buentello vs. Kiril Sidelnikov

PRELIMINARY CARD (HDNet)

* Vladamir Matyushenko vs. Antonio Rogerio Nogueira
* Jay Hieron vs. Jason High
* L.C. Davis vs. Mark Hominick
* Antonio Duarte vs. Albert Rios
* Patrick Speight vs. Brett Cooper
Quote:
January 25, 2009: WEC 38: Varner vs. Cerrone
Venue: San Diego Sports Arena
Broadcast: Versus

MAIN CARD (TELEVISED)

* Champ Jamie Varner vs. Donald Cerrone (for WEC lightweight title)
* Urijah Faber vs. Jens Pulver
* Mike Campbell vs. Danilo Villefort
* Jose Aldo vs. Fredson Paixao

PRELIMINARY CARD (UN-TELEVISED)

* Anthony Njokuani vs. Ed Ratcliff
* Edgar Garcia vs. Hiromitsu Miura
* Dominick Cruz vs. Ian McCall
* Frank Gomez vs. Scott Jorgensen
* Blas Avena vs. Jesse Lennox
* Charlie Valencia vs. Seth Dikun
Quote:
January 31, 2009: UFC 94: St. Pierre vs. Penn II
Venue: MGM Grand Garden Arena
Broadcast: Pay Per View

MAIN CARD

* Welterweight champ Georges St. Pierre vs. lightweight champ B.J. Penn (for welterweight title)
* Lyoto Machida vs. Thiago Silva
* Stephan Bonnar vs. Jon Jones
* Karo Parisyan vs. Dong Hyun Kim
* Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guida

PRELIMINARY CARD

* Jon Fitch vs. Akihiro Gono
* Manny Gamburyan vs. Thiago Tavares
* John Howard vs. Chris Wilson
* Jake O'Brien vs. Christian Wellisch
* Matt Arroyo vs. Dan Cramer

Last edited by colonel_korn: 12-31-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old
11-26-2008, 05:25 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Shame they relegated Mark Munoz to the undercard. He has arguably the best wrestling credentials of anyone in a major MMA promotion at the moment. He was extremely exciting in a vicious ground and pound KO of Chuck Grigsby

Good to see another Sactown boy on the main card though; Faber protege Joe Benavidez. Keep an eye out for Dustin Akbari. They've kept him under the radar, but he'll make some noise in the next year or two.

Also glad to see they gave Anthony Johnson a rematch with Kevin Burns. The TKO decision by Steve Mazzagatti is one of the worst calls in the sport this year.

Old
11-26-2008, 09:57 PM
QuickDynamite

For anyone interested the K-1 World GP Finals will also be playing on December 6th and will be on HDnet. Even if you aren't a big fan of the sport of kickboxing this is usually the one event that is worth watching.

In fact, this television deal they signed will show six K-1 WGP events (including qualifying tournaments), six K-1 MAX events (155 pound class), all the Dream MMA cards, and the future Dynamite cards as well. Pretty amazing the amount of coverage we'll be getting. Anyways here is the card for the 2008 K-1 WGP finals:

Tournament Reserve Fight #1: Hong Man Choi vs Ray Sefo
Tournament Reserve Fight #2: Paul Slowinski vs Melvin Manhoef
K-1 WGP Quarter Final: Peter Aerts vs Badr Hari
K-1 WGP Quarter Final: Errol Zimmerman vs Ewerton Teixeira
K-1 WGP Quarter Final: Gokhan Saki vs Ruslan Karaev
K-1 WGP Quarter Final: Remy Bonjasky vs Jerome Le Banner

The winner must fight 3 times in one night to win. And they win $200,000 if they do win. Its going to be interesting this year, especially with no Semmy Schilt in the tournament.

Old
11-27-2008, 12:14 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Le Banner/Bonjasky and HMC/Sefo fights are worth the price of admission alone.

Old
11-27-2008, 12:54 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Yeah for sure i'm a big fan of Le Banner. He's my sentimental favorite here because he's never won the WGP title. I know i'm not the only one who feels that way too. Sefo is on a horrible losing streak, and I expect Choi to beat him but Choi is a big name.

Another fight that should be good is Aerts vs Hari. Hari has the potential to be a future champion in the sport. And Aerts is the living legend and 3 time former champion. Aerts went to the finals the past 2 years only to lose to Schilt, and he is my prediction to win the tournament although its a toss up between Bonjasky, JLB, Aerts, and Hari.

Speaking of Semmy Schilt, he is in the Transporter 3 and is in a few of the commercials the movie as well. I can't emphasize enough how truly amazing this deal signed between FEG and HDnet. From here on out we will be getting some amazing coverage and great fights and I really can't wait.

Old
11-27-2008, 08:03 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
Also glad to see they gave Anthony Johnson a rematch with Kevin Burns. The TKO decision by Steve Mazzagatti is one of the worst calls in the sport this year.
Couldn't agree more, that was pure BS.

As far as upcoming cards go, December really is an MMA fans dream. So many fights I'm looking forward to, I'd be very happy to see the following fights over the course of a year, but to get to see them all in a month is just insane:

-Wandy vs. Page III
-Torres vs. Tapia
-Nog vs. Mir
-JZ vs. Hellboy
-Overeem vs. CC

I'm also really looking forward to seenig Wagney make his WEC debut, I think he is going to create some serious noise there.

Old
11-27-2008, 12:17 PM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
The TKO decision by Steve Mazzagatti is one of the worst calls in the sport this year.
They go together like peas and carrots.

I just did a search and found that Johnson lost his appeal of the TKO decision which I find mind-boggling because it was such a no-brainer.

I would say there has to be very little tolerance for Kevin Burns from now on. It sucks if he can't make a fist anymore, but throwing open hands at guys' heads is probably going to hurt somebody else in the future.

Last edited by oilers_guy_eddie: 11-27-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Old
11-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
The only call that I thought was worse was the NSAC's choice to not overturn the TKO desision. That absolutely blew me away.

I'm glad to see the rematch, but it's a brave move on Johnson's part. He's gonna go for the kill early I'd imagine.

The two biggest fights for me in the next two months is #1 GSP vs. Penn II and #2 Wandy vs. Rampage III.

Old
11-27-2008, 01:19 PM
Captain_Cunney

A couple tidbits from mmajunkie:

Quote:
MMA pioneer Carlos Newton returns for "W1: Inception"
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 27, 2008 at 9:00 am ET
Former UFC champion and twelve-year MMA veteran Carlos Newton (13-13) will return to action for the first time since October 2007 in the main event of "W1: Inception."

The debuting Canadian organization recently released the details of their debut event.

"I have been away from MMA for some time now and I couldn't be more excited to be back," Newton stated in the release. "It only seems right to make my return in my home country and with a great organization like Warrior One."

Scheduled for March 28, 2009, at the Robert Guertin Arena in Gatineau, Quebec, Canada, Newton will face fellow Canadian welterweight Nabil Khatib (8-4).
I must say i'm quite excited about this, it is basically in my back yard. I can't wait to see Carlos live and in person.

Quote:
Hermes Franca to face Joe Lauzon at UFC Fight Night 17
by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Nov 27, 2008 at 1:00 pm ET
A recently rumored lightweight clash between Hermes Franca (19-7 MMA, 6-4 UFC) and Joe Lauzon (17-4 MMA, 4-1 UFC) is a go for the as-yet-unannounced UFC Fight Night 17.

Franca confirmed the bout with MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) on Wednesday at a Midwest Cage Championships event.

While the UFC has yet to officially announce the card, UFC Fight Night 17 is expected to take place Feb. 7 at The Palms in Las Vegas.
Another very exciting LW fight, not sure Joe is ready for this yet. I hope he surprises me but I just don't think Joe is ready, at this point in his career, for a fighter of Hermes' caliber.

Old
11-27-2008, 04:50 PM
Gustave

Quote:
I thought Le Banner stopped entering in grand prix formats. Did I miss something?

Old
11-27-2008, 08:44 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

UFC keeps paring down their roster -- Jorge Gurgel and Sokoudjou have been cut

Happy to see Gurgel outta there (though he was quickly snapped up by Strikeforce) but I think Soko deserved another chance despite the 1-2 record.

Old
11-27-2008, 09:28 PM
Boston Bruno

Now where is Sokodojou mania going to run wild?

Union office 602!

Old
11-27-2008, 09:49 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

No surprise on Gurgel. He should have been cut a long time ago. His UFC record speaks for itself.

I think Sokoudjou's situation has more to do with the fact that his contract was hyperinflated for a guy who was 1-2. Remember, he played hardball and got a pretty good deal from the UFC (40,000 to win/40,000 to show) coming off two surprising knockout up sets of Lil Nog and Ricardo Arona. The UFC thought they had the next hot prospect in 205 on their hands, and instead they had a guy who clearly is a few years away from even scraping the surface of his potential. The contract was too big for a guy who wasn't able to get into co-main event status after 3 fights. I think he'll be back soon enough, probably under a more conservative contract.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:26 PM
BigE

While we're still on the topic of fight cards in the next few days.

We've got another Ultimate Cage Wars card in Winnipeg this Friday, November 28th - get your tix at ticketmaster.ca if you're interested. Twelve fights on the card, should be a beauty...especially if you're rarely able to see live MMA. Andrei Arlovski is coming into town for the fight, Horodecki is cornering Robin Black, and Kevin Manderson is fighting Kurt Southern in the main event.

I'll tell you guys...it's one thing to make judgements and analyses from a far, but not until I really got the chance to get inside a promotion did I really start to understand all that is involved. I feel that the perspectives I bring to MMApayout now are far better supported than they used to be...probably just because I've seen a lot of this stuff first hand.

Which reminds me, if you haven't listened to the interview with Monte Cox yet, you should! www.mmapayout.com

Old
11-28-2008, 08:21 AM
Captain_Cunney

Quote:
I think Sokoudjou's situation has more to do with the fact that his contract was hyperinflated for a guy who was 1-2. Remember, he played hardball and got a pretty good deal from the UFC (40,000 to win/40,000 to show) coming off two surprising knockout up sets of Lil Nog and Ricardo Arona. The UFC thought they had the next hot prospect in 205 on their hands, and instead they had a guy who clearly is a few years away from even scraping the surface of his potential. The contract was too big for a guy who wasn't able to get into co-main event status after 3 fights. I think he'll be back soon enough, probably under a more conservative contract.
I think you are bang on here, I don't think they are losing faith in him, he just is simply overpaid for what he has done. He'll be back, like you said, on a more conservative contract. Soko's future is still bright.

Old
11-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Shadyone33

Quote:
No surprise on Gurgel. He should have been cut a long time ago. His UFC record speaks for itself.

True...Also makes me wonder who's next? Maybe Vera? I liked the guy when he first started but it's like he fell off once he came back from his layoff. It's almost like he let the fame get to his head. He became quite the star in the Philippines.

Old
11-28-2008, 08:46 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
While we're still on the topic of fight cards in the next few days.

We've got another Ultimate Cage Wars card in Winnipeg this Friday, November 28th - get your tix at ticketmaster.ca if you're interested. Twelve fights on the card, should be a beauty...especially if you're rarely able to see live MMA. Andrei Arlovski is coming into town for the fight, Horodecki is cornering Robin Black, and Kevin Manderson is fighting Kurt Southern in the main event.

I'll tell you guys...it's one thing to make judgements and analyses from a far, but not until I really got the chance to get inside a promotion did I really start to understand all that is involved. I feel that the perspectives I bring to MMApayout now are far better supported than they used to be...probably just because I've seen a lot of this stuff first hand.

Which reminds me, if you haven't listened to the interview with Monte Cox yet, you should! www.mmapayout.com
Gonna be there tonight , along with cneely. We got a table, so it should be good !!!

Old
11-28-2008, 08:50 AM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Gonna be there tonight , along with cneely. We got a table, so it should be good !!!
Looking forward to it.
Hopefully the fights will be good, and if not, I heard a rumor that they'll have beer.

Old
11-28-2008, 09:32 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadyone33 View Post
True...Also makes me wonder who's next? Maybe Vera? I liked the guy when he first started but it's like he fell off once he came back from his layoff. It's almost like he let the fame get to his head. He became quite the star in the Philippines.
I doubt they'll cut him because, as you correctly state, he's a star in the Phillipines and they're planning a live show in the country for 2009.

The UFC likes to leverage local fighters when they move into a new company - it's actually one of the smarter things they do. Unfortunatley it can also lead to overpaying guys or simply keeping deadwood on the roster....it's a risk and a bit of a sacrifice.

Old
11-28-2008, 09:34 AM
BigE

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Looking forward to it.
Hopefully the fights will be good, and if not, I heard a rumor that they'll have beer.
Haha, yeah the fights should be good. We've got eleven on the card now, as one of the guys didn't make weight last night and his opponent didn't want to accept the fight. None the less you can expect some sweet, live MMA.

And they do have beer at the convention center...

Old
11-28-2008, 10:18 AM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
Haha, yeah the fights should be good. We've got eleven on the card now, as one of the guys didn't make weight last night and his opponent didn't want to accept the fight. None the less you can expect some sweet, live MMA.

And they do have beer at the convention center...
I am sure after 6 pitchers, cneely will be willing to fill in !

Old
11-28-2008, 10:20 AM
cneely

Quote:
I am sure after 6 pitchers, cneely will be willing to fill in !
Seriously doubt I could make weight either though.

Old
11-28-2008, 06:21 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Dec 13 2008 --The Ultimate Fighter 8 Finale

* Lightweight finalist #1 vs. finalist #2
* Light heavyweight finalist #1 vs. finalist #2
* Wilson Gouveia vs. Jason MacDonald
* Kevin Burns vs. Anthony Johnson
(rest of card still to be announced)
shane was notified yesterday that his fight on the TUF finale will be on the main card... cann't say who whose opponent is yet, won't be announced until this coming thursday.. but we would appreciate you guys pulling for him

Old
11-30-2008, 01:00 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Anyone catch Inside MMA last night?

Old
11-30-2008, 01:12 AM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Anyone catch Inside MMA last night?

I'm not sure they're going extreme enough, how about we tape two guys together, face to face, and they roll around...but wait for it, they are actually surrounded by a bunch of really hungry sharks, and the guy that ends up on the bottom when they inevitably roll off the edge loses, and the guy on top...hell he probably gets eaten too.

I'm gonna call it Xtreme M3ga Impact SportZZZZ

Closed Thread