HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-03-2008, 06:04 PM
Pred303

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Spike TV (commercial) just gave away the 4 finalists for the finale

Think someone will lose their job?
things aren't always what they seem.. or sound like..

Old
12-03-2008, 06:09 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
things aren't always what they seem.. or sound like..
Do you know something that I don't? If you do, please tell

I won't spoil it for anybody. But spike tv's commercial actually announced the 4 finalists. It didn't show them with their arms raised with a voiceover or anything..it ACTUALLY told us who's fighting in the live finale.

But then again...you never know I guess.

edit: hey, aren't you Shane's dad? It's great to hear that he's fighting on the finale

Old
12-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Birko19

Just finished watching TUF, all I gotta say is Vinny is one scary dude when the fight goes to the ground, Bader will lose in the finals, his striking is not that great, and on the ground he stands no chance.

To sum it up, I think Vinny is one of the best fighters I've seen on the ground, defiantly better than Nog by a lot.

Old
12-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

What the hell was Junie even doing fighting? Dana White comes off to me as the biggest hypocrite on the planet at this point. Fighters were kicked off the show for much much less in the past, yet Dana sees the dollar signs and heads in that direction. He didn't want "justice" or to prevent Junie from going back to Kentucky to run his mouth--he knows the UFC sells villians really well, and he knew Junie was his guy. I lost what little respect I had for Dana White tonight. As glad as I am that Efrain choked him out, he shouldn't have been in there in the first place. And of course, he has every excuse under the sun after losing. Couple this with his underwhelming performance against a terrible Rolando Delgado, and you might have the most overrated TUF cast member ever...ever.

Filipe and Vinny had some amazingly sick submissions. I love to see that on a show that genuinely features terrible fights. And lastly, I think Ryan Bader has some mad potential--his standup is pretty fluid for a pure wrestler--but his fight was nothing short of lay and pray. That said, I don't think he has a chance against Vinny.

Old
12-04-2008, 12:41 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
What the hell was Junie even doing fighting? Dana White comes off to me as the biggest hypocrite on the planet at this point. Fighters were kicked off the show for much much less in the past, yet Dana sees the dollar signs and heads in that direction. He didn't want "justice" or to prevent Junie from going back to Kentucky to run his mouth--he knows the UFC sells villians really well, and he knew Junie was his guy. I lost what little respect I had for Dana White tonight. As glad as I am that Efrain choked him out, he shouldn't have been in there in the first place. And of course, he has every excuse under the sun after losing. Couple this with his underwhelming performance against a terrible Rolando Delgado, and you might have the most overrated TUF cast member ever...ever.
I agree that Junie should have gotten kicked out a long time ago.

But... I wanted to see the guy get beat, you wanted to see the guy get beat, and I think probably Dana White sincerely wanted to see the guy get beat. You can call me naive for saying it... but I think he actually meant all that stuff he about how he didn't want to give Junie the chance to go home without getting beaten in the ring. How he'd have won if they hadn't kicked him off, and how he was too much of a bad-ass for the guys on the show, and go around for a couple of years hyping his career as being "the guy who was too bad-ass for TUF" and "the real champ of TUF season 8" and that kind of stuff. You know it would have burned Dana to let this guy off the hook and walk around hyping himself based on not having been beaten in the ring on TUF. Based on his weak performance against Del Gado and his weak conditioning, I think Dana thought Junie was going to lose, and I think he wanted viewers to see that for themselves.

I have mixed feelings on the subject... kicking Junie off would have been the right thing to do... but the way Dana handled it proved to be way more satisfying for the viewers, and probably for the fighters in the house, and certainly for Efrain Escudiero who had been verbally and physically confronted by Junie and deserved the chance to answer him in the ring. I like that he finished him with a submission, something Junie boasted that Efrain couldn't do.

I doubt Junie will ever be a star in the sport. He might have some ok skills... but physically he's not strong and and not well conditioned, and I just don't think that he's got the mental determination and self discipline to get himself in the kind of physical condition he'll need to get very far in MMA. Not based on what we saw on the show, anyway.

Quote:
Filipe and Vinny had some amazingly sick submissions. I love to see that on a show that genuinely features terrible fights. And lastly, I think Ryan Bader has some mad potential--his standup is pretty fluid for a pure wrestler--but his fight was nothing short of lay and pray. That said, I don't think he has a chance against Vinny.
The one time I've actually felt some sympathy for Frank Mir this season was listening to the frustration in his voice as he was yelling at the ref to stand the fighters up. That was... dull.

Vinny's jiu-jitsu is just scary. For a while I actually thought Krystoff's leg-kicks had him hurt badly enough that he might break down. Those were some damned vicious kicks.

Nover looked really strong again. Beating the jiu-jitsu guy by kimura was pretty nice.

Old
12-04-2008, 12:47 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Yeah Bader's performance was really disappointing, I guess he was just playing it safe because he didn't want Eliot to get a submission, but that was one of the worst LNP fights I've ever seen. I definitely have Vinny favoured in the finals. And Efrain/Phillipe should be a great fight, though you'd have to give the edge to Phillipe based on the performances so far.

Anyways the finale card has been unveiled at UFC.com, it's basically the two fights announced previously (Johnson/Burns II and MacDonald/Gouveia) and then a ton of matchups between guys from the show... they actually brought EVERYONE back from the show, which is a departure from the last couple seasons where there have been a few outright cuts right off the bat... but I guess with the Fight for the Troops card only a few days before they need to fill time.

http://www.ufc.com/index.cfm?fa=even...tCard&eid=1720

Shane is fighting Krzysztof! Pretty big challenge, best of luck to him! Though the UFC.com page says he's on one of the dark matches.... Junie vs Dave Kaplan is on the main card

Old
12-04-2008, 05:59 AM
Pred303

yeah, shane fights krystoff.. should be interesting, but nervous times for a dad.

Old
12-04-2008, 08:19 AM
Captain_Cunney

First off, Frank Mir continues to come across as the biggest ehcuod (spell it backwards) in TUF history. This douzy about Bader from lastnight really was over the top and uncessary:

“He knows he’s not that great of a fighter; he’s just a good wrestler. I’ll give him credit for winning with limited abilities.”

He's like Hughes, he takes each loss personal and acts very juvenile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Not an easy opponent for Wagney though. Tamura is the #3 ranked featherweight by MMAWEEKLY.
Someone forgot to tell Wagney that. Tamura is definatley a legit opponent, but man oh man did Wagney ever dominate him. At times it came across as boring cuz it was so technical, but he absolutely schooled Tamura in that fight. I give props to Tamura for defending so well off his back.

And Torres, what else can be said, Dude is definately right at the top of all P4P lists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane
Absolutely spot on. Bader's fight was boring no doubt, but I don't blame him, Elliot is a wiz on the ground he had to be cautious or else he would've been going home. As you said, Bader's stand up is very very fluid for a pure wrestler. The fact that he was able to go 3 rounds with Elliot and not get sub'd shows how much working with Nog improved his ground game, IMO.

I know the majority think Vinny will sub him on the finale, but I think Bader has a very very good chance. I don't think Vinny will be able to pull guard so easily with Bader and he is going to get hit, no doubt about it. I think Bader has the ability to keep it standing and win the battle on the feet, Vinny doesn't like to get hit. He was getting dominated by Krystoff, until Krystoff got stupid.

I can only imagine how much better Bader will be by the time the fight. The amount of improvement he showed over the course of the show leads me to beleive that he is going to be ALOT better by fight time than he was on the show. I can actually see Bader smashing through Vinny.

The Nover/Efrain fight is going to be great also.

Last edited by Captain_Cunney: 12-04-2008 at 09:05 AM.
Old
12-04-2008, 09:05 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Junie vs Dave Kaplan is on the main card
Great, so basically the two guys who did the dumbest **** on the show and ran their mouths the most about how bad ass they are get rewarded with a spot on the main card. Hopefully they both don't make weight, get busted for roids, and knock each other out in the first 20 seconds in a spectacle that we've never seen in the past.

It's ****** that the reality of it says that one of them will win and get another shot in the UFC.

Old
12-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
The fact that Junie is on the main card is laughable, he isn't even a good fighter. Primm vs Kyrstoff,,,, HF board guy vs Winnipeg Guy, gonna be hard to cheer in that one.

ps

Primm should of knocked that little punk into next week after he threw that glass.

Old
12-04-2008, 10:32 AM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
But... I wanted to see the guy get beat, you wanted to see the guy get beat, and I think probably Dana White sincerely wanted to see the guy get beat. You can call me naive for saying it... but I think he actually meant all that stuff he about how he didn't want to give Junie the chance to go home without getting beaten in the ring. How he'd have won if they hadn't kicked him off, and how he was too much of a bad-ass for the guys on the show, and go around for a couple of years hyping his career as being "the guy who was too bad-ass for TUF" and "the real champ of TUF season 8" and that kind of stuff. You know it would have burned Dana to let this guy off the hook and walk around hyping himself based on not having been beaten in the ring on TUF. Based on his weak performance against Del Gado and his weak conditioning, I think Dana thought Junie was going to lose, and I think he wanted viewers to see that for themselves.
But what if Junie had won? We'd all be bitter and pissed, but we'd tune in to the finale. It was a sheer ratings grab. Dana's track record speaks for itself. I mean, who cares what he does when he goes back to the trailer park and runs his mouth? Dana knew exactly what he was doing when he went and asked the rest of the fighters about what to do with Junie. He set the question up perfectly, like a lawyer, to extract the answer that he wanted to hear. I'm sure he wanted to see Junie get his ass beat, who didn't? But he definitely didn't deserve the shot to win his way onto the finals. I mean, if either of those glasses land differently, Junie and Danaco find there way into a civil suit.

And now look, he's rewarded--once again, despite showing very little quality in his fights--with a spot on the main card, against another equally undeserving white trash fighter. I guess all's fair in love and war...and showbiz. Plastic Dana White strikes again...

Quote:
I doubt Junie will ever be a star in the sport. He might have some ok skills... but physically he's not strong and and not well conditioned, and I just don't think that he's got the mental determination and self discipline to get himself in the kind of physical condition he'll need to get very far in MMA. Not based on what we saw on the show, anyway.
I hope you're right about this. For all the legitimizing that White claims to do for the sport, this isn't far off from a Kimbo Slice-esque push.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Primm should of knocked that little punk into next week after he threw that glass.
Ah yes, this reminds me of something I wanted to post last night.

Hats off to you Pred303, you raised a good human being. I think most of us would have been grabbing for the nearest chair to bash over Junie's head had he thrown a mug at our face. But Shane kept his cool like an adult.

Old
12-04-2008, 01:58 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Man, no real talk about the Torres fight?

Torres was unbelievable once again last night. Stood up with Tapia after Tapia basically called him out (which was a dumb-ass thing to do to a guy like Torres) and said he'd beat him in a stand-up match.

Torres is, IMO, the best P4P fighter on Earth. Yes, better than Silva and better than Fedor.

Dude is mindblowingly talented. Tapia has a good chin and a heavy hand. Got Torres flush in the face and Torres merely blinked his eyes and went right back onto the attack.

And the look in Torres's eyes during the fight? Borderline scary.

"Okay, Joel. You've had your fun. Give your brother his pads back." - Trxjw
Old
12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
And Joe Benavidez 'the next 135lb champ'.

Not an easy opponent for Wagney though. Tamura is the #3 ranked featherweight by MMAWEEKLY. Bowles/Ribeiro should be good too.
Benavidez looks awesome. Fights a lot like Faber (being that they train together, I can see why).

Old
12-04-2008, 04:34 PM
Birko19

For those who play the new COD, Mir has released his 360 game tag (3PUNCHMUR) for the fans if they wanna add him and play this game live with him.

Old
12-04-2008, 05:54 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Man, no real talk about the Torres fight?

Torres was unbelievable once again last night. Stood up with Tapia after Tapia basically called him out (which was a dumb-ass thing to do to a guy like Torres) and said he'd beat him in a stand-up match.

Torres is, IMO, the best P4P fighter on Earth. Yes, better than Silva and better than Fedor.

Dude is mindblowingly talented. Tapia has a good chin and a heavy hand. Got Torres flush in the face and Torres merely blinked his eyes and went right back onto the attack.

And the look in Torres's eyes during the fight? Borderline scary.
I haven't seen the fights myself yet (damn TSN) but I'm how little talk there is about the card. I heard Bowles looked good vs Ribeiro and will be next in line to fight Torres. Did they show Mark Munoz' fight? Apparantly he dominated the fight.

Torres is definitely top 5 p4p for me even without watching his fight with Tapia but I wouldn't put him ahead of Fedor just yet. The most amazing thing about Fedor is how he dominates guys that are so much bigger then him. He could easily be fighting at LHW but instead he's the #1 HW in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Benavidez looks awesome. Fights a lot like Faber (being that they train together, I can see why).
I can't wait to see his with Martinez.

Old
12-05-2008, 10:03 AM
Qubax

Pound for Pound in no particular order:

-BJ Penn
-GSP
-Anderson Silva(I still think this guy is number one, virutally all of his UFC fights have been against top flight opponents, sans maybe Leben)
-MA Torres
-I think that Kenny Florian is right there. He'll beat almost anyone in the world and if he does lose it's gonna be against Penn or GSP that's pretty much it.
-I think that Thiago Alves is right up their too...
-Fedor, pretty much goes without saying and he could totally be fighting at LHW.
-Orlevsky, this guy is a machine, plus he looks like a werewolf
-I think in two years Phillipe Nover will be in this discussion.
-Lyoto Machida, this guy is UNBELIEVABLE. He, Silva, Penn, GSP and Torres might be the top 5. Machida is sick...He's like Silva mixed with the Karate Kid

Old
12-05-2008, 01:32 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

http://92.ufc.com/

The official UFC 92 site has tons of goodies on it, including a 2008 retrospective highlight and detailed previews and interviews for all 3 main event fights. Wanderlei's interview about his first two fights with Rampage is pretty hilarious. Also Mir's supposed gameplan is to outwork Nog for the first five or ten minutes of the fight and then ride out a five-round decision. This is the same Frank Mir who's only been outside the first round of a fight TWICE in his career and was horribly gassed both times... against one of the best-conditioned HWs out there. Maybe he's just trying some misdirection or something, but in my opinion unless he gets a submission in the first round and a half or so, he's cooked.

Old
12-05-2008, 02:22 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Pound for Pound in no particular order:

-BJ Penn
-GSP
-Anderson Silva(I still think this guy is number one, virutally all of his UFC fights have been against top flight opponents, sans maybe Leben)
-MA Torres
-I think that Kenny Florian is right there. He'll beat almost anyone in the world and if he does lose it's gonna be against Penn or GSP that's pretty much it.
-I think that Thiago Alves is right up their too...
-Fedor, pretty much goes without saying and he could totally be fighting at LHW.
-Orlevsky, this guy is a machine, plus he looks like a werewolf
-I think in two years Phillipe Nover will be in this discussion.
-Lyoto Machida, this guy is UNBELIEVABLE. He, Silva, Penn, GSP and Torres might be the top 5. Machida is sick...He's like Silva mixed with the Karate Kid
I would say they are #'s 2-6 with Fedor being #1 for sure. I'm not so sure Florian would beat guys like Alvarez, JZ, Hansen, Gomi and Aoki.

Old
12-05-2008, 03:09 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Arlovski receiving a terrifying glimpse into his future

Old
12-05-2008, 04:11 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Arlovski receiving a terrifying glimpse into his future

Awesome!

Notes by Andrei:

Weaknesses: he's pudgy

How I get him on the ground: Get a pituitary gland problem and grow like Techno Goliath.

How I win: I think I need to stand out side of his range and .........aww forget it I'm F'd.

Old
12-05-2008, 04:29 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Here's what I don't understand about Mir. I have to say I've relied on you guys to hear about what's happening on TUF, I've only caught one episode but it seemed the general consensus was the guy was a self loathing d-bag....

All the interviews I've seen with him, it seems as though he's a very cool humble type of guy, and then I read this which just seems to reinforce it.....

http://www.sportsline.com/mma/story/11154304

Quote:
I look up to Nogueira. I think he's a phenomenal fighter, somebody who is an inspiration to a lot of people. He shows a lot of heart in all his wars he's been in.
Quote:
I don't see it (the fight) being quick at all. I can't imagine that in over 35 fights Nogueira has had -- and no one has finished him -- that I'm going to be the one to do it.
Quote:
I think going jiu-jitsu for jiu-jitsu is going to be quite difficult for me. He's been doing jiu-jitsu longer than I have, and if anybody asked me I would say he's a better jiu-jitsu guy than I am. He's been a black belt longer than I have. For me to say I have an edge there, I don't see where.
I don't get it.

Old
12-05-2008, 05:37 PM
QuickDynamite

So, I see our boy Shane Primm will be fighting Krystof at the finals.

I gotta admit, due to the difference in experience that's going to be a tough fight for Shane. Your comparing a guy with 15+ fights to a guy who's had about 5 fights total, including 1 pro fight.

I do think Krystof is a bit of an overrated fighter though. So if Shane can get a win that would be HUGE for his career. The guy was expected to win TUF this year, and in the very least make it to the finals and he did neither, so Primm is definitely capable of beating him especially with those training partners of his.

I really hope Shane opens up a nice can of whoop ass on Krystof.

Old
12-05-2008, 06:42 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

I know Shane said his standup has grown leaps and bounds since he went down to Florida to train, but to me, the game plan has gotta be to get the fight to the floor where Krisztof's experience is nullified.

Old
12-06-2008, 06:00 AM
Joretus

What signal this Junei thing will give to other TUF contenders? I mean Dana have been shouting how they should give good example of MMA fighters and behave well. Now when you are assaulting your housemates, etc. you will get main card match in UFC. Really it gives signal that you have to be mentally unstable or at least act like it to get chances with UFC and get good matches...

Old
12-06-2008, 06:10 AM
Zap Brannigan

I know its not MMA but...is anyone else watching the K1 Grand Prix Final?

Hari just went insane and stomped Bonjaskey

And Manhoef returned with a vicious knock out.

Closed Thread