HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Mixed Martial Arts
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mixed Martial Arts UFC, Bellator, HDNet Fights, WSOF, MFC, KOTC, One FC, and others

Official MMA Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
12-06-2008, 08:40 AM
DaaaaB's

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joretus View Post
What signal this Junei thing will give to other TUF contenders? I mean Dana have been shouting how they should give good example of MMA fighters and behave well. Now when you are assaulting your housemates, etc. you will get main card match in UFC. Really it gives signal that you have to be mentally unstable or at least act like it to get chances with UFC and get good matches...
Good point. I could see some other guys trying to act Junie-like in future seasons.

Old
12-06-2008, 10:16 AM
BigE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Man, no real talk about the Torres fight?

Torres was unbelievable once again last night. Stood up with Tapia after Tapia basically called him out (which was a dumb-ass thing to do to a guy like Torres) and said he'd beat him in a stand-up match.

Torres is, IMO, the best P4P fighter on Earth. Yes, better than Silva and better than Fedor.

Dude is mindblowingly talented. Tapia has a good chin and a heavy hand. Got Torres flush in the face and Torres merely blinked his eyes and went right back onto the attack.

And the look in Torres's eyes during the fight? Borderline scary.
Jonathon! Good to see you lingering around this side of the board for a change!

I wouldn't go as far as to say he's the best P4P fighter in the world, but he's in my top five right now. I'd love to see Norifumi come over from Japan to challenge him...would be a fantastic fight. If Faber gets back on track, I'd still like to see a catchweight dream fight at 140 between the two.

Although, I will say that people tend to over look the smaller guys on account that they don't receive as much press as the heavier weights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
Good point. I could see some other guys trying to act Junie-like in future seasons.
Is anyone really all that surprised? The warning signs have been all over the place since the show started! The UFC wasn't going to kick somebody off if they'd gone to the extreme, unprecedented length of having the guy blog on their own website.

The UFC walks a fine line between running a business and a sports association. While I won't defend keeping Junie, all I will say is that ratings talk...especially in this economy.

And people tend to lose sight of the fact that the guy is human. For as much as everyone hates him, perhaps he's turned over a new leaf training with Couture.

The point is it's easy to make judgements based on the accounts of a TV show that was extremely "cut and paste" in its production and I'll caution everyone that there are always multiple sides to every story.

Old
12-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Joretus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE View Post
The point is it's easy to make judgements based on the accounts of a TV show that was extremely "cut and paste" in its production and I'll caution everyone that there are always multiple sides to every story.
Well, it's easy since he made it easy. I mean not once, but all the time. Out of the control, totally. And it's different to flip once or twice a bit, but throwing others with glasses, etc... well that's just not normal human behaviour. Just looking how much smart MMA stars we have and they can still be good characters(not boring ones) I don't really understand supporting that kind of insane ppl.

Old
12-06-2008, 03:24 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I know its not MMA but...is anyone else watching the K1 Grand Prix Final?

Hari just went insane and stomped Bonjaskey

And Manhoef returned with a vicious knock out.
Kadr Hari

I don't watch too many K-1 events, but now that it's on HDNet, I'll probably see most of them from now on. Hari didn't ruin the night, but a legitimate outcome in the final would have been a nice cap on a great night of fights. I don't know what Hari was thinking.

Bonjasky looked great though. I think Hari was eventually going to get KTFO'd.

Old
12-06-2008, 03:59 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ensane View Post
Kadr Hari

I don't watch too many K-1 events, but now that it's on HDNet, I'll probably see most of them from now on. Hari didn't ruin the night, but a legitimate outcome in the final would have been a nice cap on a great night of fights. I don't know what Hari was thinking.

Bonjasky looked great though. I think Hari was eventually going to get KTFO'd.
It's a shame because up to that point Hari's fights had been the best of the tournament -- the way he destroyed Aerts was crazy and his comeback against Zimmerman after getting knocked down was really impressive too. It's a shame that he just lost it in the final. Alternatively, for the conspiracy-minded maybe he felt that being down one knockdown already, and with Bonjasky being a very good defensive fighter, that he didn't have much of a chance to win so he'd try to save face by getting DQ'd so he could pretend he could have won if Bonjasky hadn't "acted" and not continued.

That was actually the first K-1 event I've really watched as well, it's pretty darn entertaining. It's amazing to me how much more wide-open it is than most conventional boxing fights... throwing kicks into the mix seems to make it much harder to just shell up and defend.

Old
12-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
if Bonjasky hadn't "acted" and not continued.
Yeah, I wondered about that too. The announcers kept going back and forth on the issue. They never showed a clean enough angle to see if he actually did get poked in the eye.

I'm fairly certain he didn't sustain a ton of head trauma though.

Old
12-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Ensane
EL GUAPO

Quote:
It's a shame because up to that point Hari's fights had been the best of the tournament -- the way he destroyed Aerts was crazy and his comeback against Zimmerman after getting knocked down was really impressive too. It's a shame that he just lost it in the final. Alternatively, for the conspiracy-minded maybe he felt that being down one knockdown already, and with Bonjasky being a very good defensive fighter, that he didn't have much of a chance to win so he'd try to save face by getting DQ'd so he could pretend he could have won if Bonjasky hadn't "acted" and not continued.

That was actually the first K-1 event I've really watched as well, it's pretty darn entertaining. It's amazing to me how much more wide-open it is than most conventional boxing fights... throwing kicks into the mix seems to make it much harder to just shell up and defend.
Another thought just hit me!

Now Hari can go back and tell his boys that "he was the baddest guy in the tournament" and that "no one could beat him." "He was so bad that they threw him out" of the tournament.

a la Dana White on Junie.

Old
12-06-2008, 04:41 PM
Joretus

Hari is just such a headcase. not first time doing something like this. Well not quite similar. Such a talent, but such a stupid character. Bonjasky is still the best K-1 fighter after Hoost for me. Not being any kind of size advantage or so, etc. Just great fighter. And I'm 100% sure he didn't wanted to win by that kind of win.

Maybe Hari should change to MMA and fight Junie...

Old
12-06-2008, 05:32 PM
Zap Brannigan

I really want to know what just caused him to absolutely snap though.

I don't think he got hit low or anything but he just lost it. It was unreal to watch.

The guy looked ice cold throughout the entire event then lost it.

Oh well. Heres looking to Bonjaskey vs Hari for the K1 Heavyweight Championship in early 2009.

Can't wait for the K1 Max Tourney next year and hopefully Kimbo vs Hari if its true

Old
12-07-2008, 01:09 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Don't know if you guys have seen this before, but Youtube recommended it for me when I signed in today. Discovery Channel-type show pits El Guapo against a Crash Test Dummy... with predictable results.

Old
12-07-2008, 05:00 PM
BigE

Randy: "It doesn't surprise me...[Bas] kicks like a mule."

Haha. Good stuff.

I'd seen something similar with Rampage a couple months ago.

Old
12-08-2008, 12:28 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

More K-1 news in the MMA thread, sorry but this is just too good:

http://www.japan-mma.com/2008/12/k-1...reactions.html
Quote:
So after all of this, the fans were robbed of the final they wanted to see.

Now we have to wait for K-1's reactions, but I am sure they will be strict.

Kimbo is clear what he thinks Hari's punishment should be:

“I want to fight him and teach him what sportsmanship is about….I want to give him a spanking.” As he called it, a "Spanking Match”

Kimbo also revealed that he might be coming to fight in K-1, it certainly seems like we will see him back shortly:

Do you think your specialty can work in K-1? 
-I think so. It’s definitely a thinkable category.

If you’re going to fight Badr Hari will it be K-1 rules?
-I want to give Badr Hari a spanking but I’m not able to nor do I plan to choose who I fight against. That’s up to the promoters.
I doubt this would ever take place but holy crap what a massacre it would be.

Old
12-08-2008, 01:21 AM
Zap Brannigan

Kimbo vs Hari is pretty much putting Kimbo against a firing squad.

Seriously. Kimbo is going to die. No way this fight happens.

Just let K1 have Kimbo vs Bob Sapp have the Japanese go crazy, Kimbo releases a rap album and its all good.

But Kimbo vs any legit K1 heavyweight is just a massacre and if its against the K1 Heavyweight Champ, he isn't gonna be able to walk out of Japan

Old
12-08-2008, 02:45 AM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
Just let K1 have Kimbo vs Bob Sapp have the Japanese go crazy, Kimbo releases a rap album and its all good.

But Kimbo vs any legit K1 heavyweight is just a massacre and if its against the K1 Heavyweight Champ, he isn't gonna be able to walk out of Japan
haha Sapp is so much bigger than Kimbo though, I probably wouldn't even give him much of a chance in that fight, as much of a joke as Sapp is. Really though I guess Kimbo knows as well as anyone that that fight won't ever be booked, 'cause there's no way that he was sitting at ringside, saw this:

and thought to himself "yeah, I could totally take that guy"

Old
12-08-2008, 03:36 PM
LiquidClown

Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Man this just goes to reinforce my belief that Anderson must be one of the coolest guys to hang out with. I know it's a bit old but that doesn't make it any less funny...

Old
12-08-2008, 03:52 PM
wendelclark17

FIGHT OF THE YEAR

Dave Kaplan vs. Junie Browing

The fight for the Ultimate Loser

Old
12-08-2008, 04:05 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown View Post
Man this just goes to reinforce my belief that Anderson must be one of the coolest guys to hang out with. I know it's a bit old but that doesn't make it any less funny...

If he weren't 6'2 and black, I'd have sworn I was watching Bruce Lee!

Old
12-09-2008, 02:03 AM
QuickDynamite

Quote:
More K-1 news in the MMA thread, sorry but this is just too good:

http://www.japan-mma.com/2008/12/k-1...reactions.html
I doubt this would ever take place but holy crap what a massacre it would be.
I was against seeing the fight myself. But Hari just came off 3 fights in one night. I figure there's no way he can be 100% by Dynamite.

Under normal circumstances I wouldn't want to see it happen. But now Kimbo might actually have a shot, albeit a small one. Before I wouldn't think Kimbo stands a chance in hell of beating him. As long as its not K-1 rules I think Kimbo may have a very slight chance. However, under K-1 rules Kimbo is going to get obliterated regardless of if Hari is 100% or not.

Kimbo will have a bit of an advantage when it comes to MMA rules. And the ground fighting. The only MMA fight Hari ever competed in he got submitted by a relative unknown very quickly. K-1 may be a good fit for Kimbo, but he really needs to stick to MMA. I can only see him having success against the likes of Akebono, Sapp, Butterbean in K-1.

As far as the K-1 finals itself. I enjoyed it, however I was a bit disappointed to see Aerts and Le Banner both lose so badly. Sefo / Choi was great. Great to see Sefo end his losing streak and the fight was highly entertaining as well. Hari and Bonjasky were both the most impressive but Bonjaky just has such solid defense and dropped all of his opponents he fought, the KO over Saki was one of the best of the year IMO. Remy throws the most insane aerial kicks, and knees in all combat sports.

Hari doing what he did was most likely just looking for a way out without getting humiliated. He screwed himself over a bit getting dropped by Zimmerman in the semi-finals. Also Hari has shown his chin to be rather suspect. Bonjasky dropped him and he isn't known for his punching power AT ALL. Hari was KTFO badly by Peter Graham with a spinning wheel kick almost which broke his jaw. So I figure he may not be 100% and may always have that in the back of his mind when he gets hit cleanly on the jaw. If you haven't seen the first Hari / Graham fight you definitely need to check it out. Amazing KO.

Old
12-09-2008, 09:43 AM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
I would say they are #'s 2-6 with Fedor being #1 for sure. I'm not so sure Florian would beat guys like Alvarez, JZ, Hansen, Gomi and Aoki.
Oh yah, I listed Fedor above then forgot to put him in my top 5...he is right there..

As for Florian, I really think he could beat virtually anyone outside of Penn and GSP, however I suppose at this point, that is relatively unproven...

Old
12-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Oh yah, I listed Fedor above then forgot to put him in my top 5...he is right there..

As for Florian, I really think he could beat virtually anyone outside of Penn and GSP, however I suppose at this point, that is relatively unproven...
Actually it's disproven since Sherk already beat him.

Old
12-09-2008, 01:18 PM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

On the pound-vs-pound thing, and UFC's next fantasy fight (if GSP beats Penn...)

...anybody think GSP might actually have a chance against Silva? When they announced the idea, I thought it was the making of a disaster, because Silva generally kills people his own size, let alone somebody he's got a considerable size advantage over.

But thinking about it... Silva had a really hard time with Dan Henderson's wrestling... and while GSP isn't an ex-Olympian, his takedowns and guard-passing might be as good as anybody in MMA. I think he'd also be very tough to submit, despite Silva's excellent jiu-jitsu. GSP could probably get the fight on the ground when he wanted, and might be able to make Silva suffer once it does get to the ground.

Anybody else think there is upset potential? Or am I just being swayed by their respective performances in their last fights?

Old
12-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Pure Rock Fury*

Send a message via AIM to Pure Rock Fury*
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers_guy_eddie View Post
On the pound-vs-pound thing, and UFC's next fantasy fight (if GSP beats Penn...)

...anybody think GSP might actually have a chance against Silva? When they announced the idea, I thought it was the making of a disaster, because Silva generally kills people his own size, let alone somebody he's got a considerable size advantage over.

But thinking about it... Silva had a really hard time with Dan Henderson's wrestling... and while GSP isn't an ex-Olympian, his takedowns and guard-passing might be as good as anybody in MMA. I think he'd also be very tough to submit, despite Silva's excellent jiu-jitsu. GSP could probably get the fight on the ground when he wanted, and might be able to make Silva suffer once it does get to the ground.

Anybody else think there is upset potential? Or am I just being swayed by their respective performances in their last fights?
If he can get him to the mat, then he'd have a small chance. Standing up he'd get demolished within two rounds I think. Serra was able to catch him, and BJ Penn did a lot of damage, so I'd imagine Anderson would have no problem kicking his head into the third row.

I really don't want to see this fight because I think it's too much of a size mismatch, but hopefully it's a close fight and the fighter that loses isn't looked down upon too much because of it.

Old
12-09-2008, 06:49 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Fight for the Troops weigh-in results:

Quote:
Josh Koscheck (171) vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida (171)
Jonathan Goulet (171) vs. Mike Swick (171)
Razak Al-Hassan (205) vs. Steve Cantwell (206)
Matt Wiman (156) vs. Jim Miller (156)
Brodie Farber (174) vs. Luigi Fioravanti (173.5)*
Johnny Rees (169) vs. Steve Bruno (171)
Brandon Wolff (170) vs. Ben Saunders (170)
Nate Loughran (185) vs. Tim Credeur (186)
Dale Hartt (156) vs. Corey Hill (155)
Justin McCully (228) vs. Eddie Sanchez (246)

* Farber and Fioravanti will fight at a 173-pound catch-weight.
With both Farber and Fioravanti missing by that much I'm guessing that one of them knew beforehand that he couldn't make weight and let the other know so they could sort out a catchweight.

Anyways, kind of a blah card overall, but sometimes those turn out to have some surprisingly decent fights. A few predictions:

Koscheck over Yoshida (UD) -- I think it'll be a fairly comfortable decision for Koscheck as he uses his size and wrestling to frustrate Yoshida
Swick over Goulet (Submission rd 1) -- don't think much of Goulet to be honest, though he claims that he's training with a much better group than he was in prior fights.
Al-Hassan vs Cantwell - don't really know, never seen Al-Hassan and only saw Cantwell's last fight against Stann... guessing this ends in a KO though
Wiman over Miller (Split Decision) -- Miller took the fight on only couple week's notice and it sounds like he had a tough cut, so I look for Wiman to survive a tough first round and come on strong later to eke out a decision. I think this is a much better fight than the original Wiman/Frank Edgar matchup
Fioravanti over Farber (TKO rd 2) -- just going with the more experienced UFC fighter
Rees vs Bruno -- no idea
Wolff vs Saunders -- ditto, edge to Saunders though I guess since he's looked pretty good in his fights to date
Loughran vs Credeur -- again don't really know, Loughran looks to be a pretty similar fighter to Credeur so it should be pretty evenly matched
Cory Hill over Hartt by virtue of being ridiculously tall (unless he screws up like he did in his last fight)
Sanchez over McCully (TKO rd 2) -- unless McCully can take him down a lot in which case he'll win by dreadfully boring decision

Old
12-10-2008, 12:24 AM
shaneprimm

hey guys, sorry it has been a minute but I've been crazy busy. Thanks for the support on the upcoming fight, I appreciate it. I'm sitting in a hotel room for the next couple days so if anyone wants to shoot me some questions feel free too. Or texts 615 556 4855.

On another note, watch Ultimate Fight night tommorrow. (Wen) and support my boy, and new teammate Corey Hill. He isn't on the main, but his will be shown after the horrible beating he gives Heart. Not going to lie, I have never stood in front of a guy more frustrating than corey...EVER. He is tough and very strong too. Don't let his build fool you. He will give anyone at '55 a tough fight.

So whats up fellas

Old
12-10-2008, 12:56 AM
oilers_guy_eddie
Craig's not on it.

Holy crap, Shane, you have got to watch out for Krysztof's leg-kicks. Just watching those on TV made me want to cry.

Good luck, Shane! Show the world what you can do!

On the weigh ins... what's the deal with Fioravanti? The guy looked pretty soft and doughy last time we saw him, and now he's not even making weight? The guy looks like he ought to be able to make weight easy if he could just shed some lard. Does he lack the commitment to stay away from the Cheetos or something?

Closed Thread