HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is the Korpedo being wasted?

Old
11-27-2008, 12:22 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

vCash: 500
Is the Korpedo being wasted?

Practically every game, I see Korpikoski do something impressive, but he isn't getting much support. Not surprising, considering he's playing with Dawes, Fritsche and Voros.

I think that Korpi has some decent offensive ability, but with the people he's playing with and the paltry icetime he's getting, he isn't getting much of a chance. He might be one of the most skilled players on the team (sad as that is). He might be able to help contribute offensively with more time and better support.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Practically every game, I see Korpikoski do something impressive, but he isn't getting much support. Not surprising, considering he's playing with Dawes, Fritsche and Voros.

I think that Korpi has some decent offensive ability, but with the people he's playing with and the paltry icetime he's getting, he isn't getting much of a chance. He might be one of the most skilled players on the team (sad as that is). He might be able to help contribute offensively with more time and better support.
Right now there's nowhere for him to go. The top 6 are playing well. The only thing that could help Korpikoski is if Renney stops giving his 4th line more ice time than his third line; but I understand why he does it because he trusts his 4th more. Bottom line is ask yourself this question: would you rather Korpikoski center 2 bottom 6 wingers or would you rather see him center 2 AHL wingers in Hartford?

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:04 AM
dank

he'll get more time later, this is not really stunting his growth. if anything he's getting more and more used to things and when needed i'm sure he'll be able to step in/it up

dank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:13 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i still think he would be best with Gomez on the first line, but i think hes doing fine where he is as well.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:42 AM
All Hail King Henrik

He needs better wingers. Voros is pretty ineffective on that line, because he can never get set up in front of the net.

I agree with inferno that The Korpedo should get a shot on Gomez's left wing, especially if Drury doesn't work out there. Lets see what he can do when all he has to do is finish, rather than create at center. His goal this season was scored off a one-time pass by Fritsche cylcing below the goal line out from behind the net. This is precisely how Gomez creates much of his offense: cycling down low. I'm betting The Korpedo will bury some of those passes.

All Hail King Henrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:12 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Hail King Henrik View Post
He needs better wingers. Voros is pretty ineffective on that line, because he can never get set up in front of the net.

I agree with inferno that The Korpedo should get a shot on Gomez's left wing, especially if Drury doesn't work out there. Lets see what he can do when all he has to do is finish, rather than create at center. His goal this season was scored off a one-time pass by Fritsche cylcing below the goal line out from behind the net. This is precisely how Gomez creates much of his offense: cycling down low. I'm betting The Korpedo will bury some of those passes.
This is my line of thinking, too. I love Callahan, but maybe Korpikoski should get a shot at that 1st line spot for a few games to see what he can do.

Old
11-27-2008, 06:09 AM
Ola

Quote:

Agreed.

Its not a ideal situation. You want kid in a enviorment where he can't even fail basically, thats ideel...

And while I think Korpi is dooing a ton of things, it not a ideel situation for Fritz or Dawes either...

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:31 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
i still think he would be best with Gomez on the first line, but i think hes doing fine where he is as well.
So you want to move Drury to RW? I'd rather see the Rangers deal for a RW for the Gomez/Drury line, bring up AA for 3rd line center, and flank him with Korpi on LW and Cally on RW.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Korpikoski's always been pegged as a 2nd/3rrd line player, so I don't know if the top line is the right place for him. Worth a look for sure, but just not sure he brings anything more than the other options that have been tried.

Good point about the support he's not getting though Sting. I'm only occasionally impressed with things I see Korps doing, but in the context of the left wing black hole on that line, it's understandable. Like I said in the Rissmiller thread, maybe Pat or Prucha can contribute to that line in a way that Dawes and Fritsche have not be able to.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:03 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
This is my line of thinking, too. I love Callahan, but maybe Korpikoski should get a shot at that 1st line spot for a few games to see what he can do.
Well, rewarding the player that does the most out there on a nightly basis by sending him down to the third line isn't exactly a good message.

Although I do see your point with Korpi, but we aren't talking about a Stamkos sitting on the 3rd line. Is Korpi really pegged to be a first line player (I know Cally isn't, but he is one of the few playing like one).

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:16 AM
Bury Your Head

I don't know, I don't think Korps drinks much.

Bury Your Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:51 AM
9darter
Soft Euro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR6814 View Post
I don't know, I don't think Korps drinks much.
Well, after all he's from Finland, isnt he?

Seriously, it is one thing to be energetic for 7-12 minutes on the 3rd line but is Korpedo up for the +20 minutes of icetime a first line spot could bring?
(I couldn't find his AHL-TOI stats so I don't know what he used to do in Hartford but maybe that's not really relevant anyway.)

9darter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:21 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr. View Post
Korpikoski's always been pegged as a 2nd/3rrd line player, so I don't know if the top line is the right place for him. Worth a look for sure, but just not sure he brings anything more than the other options that have been tried.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyaas View Post
Although I do see your point with Korpi, but we aren't talking about a Stamkos sitting on the 3rd line. Is Korpi really pegged to be a first line player (I know Cally isn't, but he is one of the few playing like one).
I see your points, and I agree that Korpikoski isn't expected to be a first liner. Thing is, this team doesn't exactly have many players who are true first liners, which is the problem. Because we don't have enough talent offensively, we have a bunch of 2nd and 3rd liners playing on the first line, leaving us with a very weak third line.

I just think that if you're going to bring Korpi up this year, he should at the very least be getting 11-12 minutes a game, not 7. It's not as if you're rushing him, the guy spent quite a bit of time in the minors, and as his recent return to Hartford shows, he's probably gotten about as much out of the AHL experience as he is going to. Time to show some faith in the kid.

Old
11-27-2008, 11:38 AM
Janerixon

I think the real waste is voros, he came on so strong, and yes zherdev naslund and dubi are playing well together, but i think voros has size and can get under a teams skin, now he barely plays, doesn't get PP time, and his production w dubinsky's has gone down

id like to try this
drury-gomez-callahan
naslund-korpikoski-zherdev
voros-dubinsky-sjostrom
fritsche-betts-orr

i just want to shake things up and see if we can get voros and dubi back on track

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:00 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
I think the real waste is voros, he came on so strong, and yes zherdev naslund and dubi are playing well together, but i think voros has size and can get under a teams skin, now he barely plays, doesn't get PP time, and his production w dubinsky's has gone down

id like to try this
drury-gomez-callahan
naslund-korpikoski-zherdev
voros-dubinsky-sjostrom
fritsche-betts-orr

i just want to shake things up and see if we can get voros and dubi back on track
Why demote Dubinsky who's starting to play great again to give Korpikoski more ice time? Naslund - Dubinsky - Zherdev is the best line this team has. I hate the whole spreading the offense method. It's a horrible way to go about things.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:43 PM
czechmate25

Prucha is the one being wasted.

czechmate25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:55 PM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by czechmate25 View Post
Prucha is a waste of space/cap.
Fixed

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:44 PM
pavvento

I feel like this is Renney's style. It worked with Callahan, it worked (for an extent) with Hossa, and with Dubinsky. Let the guys get comfortable with the speed of the NHL game, learn to play responsible defensive hockey, and then when you begin excelling at those parts of the game you can start to work on the offense.

I personally think this is a great approach that will help our guys ease into the system and into the NHL as opposed to putting them on a top line where it's looked at as a failure if they don't score.

Give him some time and I bet he'll get his shot and will be ready to grab it by the horns.

pavvento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 02:02 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PruBlue25 View Post
Why demote Dubinsky who's starting to play great again to give Korpikoski more ice time? Naslund - Dubinsky - Zherdev is the best line this team has. I hate the whole spreading the offense method. It's a horrible way to go about things.
No one is demoting dubinsky, just reuniting him with voros trying to get both of them going. dubinsky scored one goal, i don't think he is heating up much, i think naslund and zherdev are starting to gel and zherdev has been setting up most of naslund's goals of late

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:12 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janerixon View Post
No one is demoting dubinsky, just reuniting him with voros trying to get both of them going. dubinsky scored one goal, i don't think he is heating up much, i think naslund and zherdev are starting to gel and zherdev has been setting up most of naslund's goals of late
I think separating Zherdev from Dubinsky would be a mistake, and not only because they play well together. I love the influence that Dubinsky is clearly having on Zherdev. Dubi is rubbing off on Zherdev, and that's a great thing. You want Zherdev to be around the positive energy and natural leadership that Dubinsky brings as much as possible. Besides, they compliment each other on the ice and this line with Naslund is working out well so far. I'm sure Brandon will get it going again. Plus, Voros has been terrible since before they moved him off that line.

Old
11-27-2008, 03:20 PM
asparkoflife

Quote:
I think separating Zherdev from Dubinsky would be a mistake, and not only because they play well together. I love the influence that Dubinsky is clearly having on Zherdev. Dubi is rubbing off on Zherdev, and that's a great thing. You want Zherdev to be around the positive energy and natural leadership that Dubinsky brings as much as possible. Besides, they compliment each other on the ice and this line with Naslund is working out well so far. I'm sure Brandon will get it going again. Plus, Voros has been terrible since before they moved him off that line.
This is exactly what iw as thinking. I think Zherdev needs a leader like Dubi on his line to kind of keep him in check. Also why in the world would you break up a line that has been the main source of offense the past few games? The line is playing amazing.

Voros is a guy who got off to a really hot start but his true colors are kinda starting to show. He's a 3rd/4th line guy who can park in front of the net, get under a teams skin and such, but he's not a top 6 type player.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 03:30 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by playstationline View Post
This is exactly what iw as thinking. I think Zherdev needs a leader like Dubi on his line to kind of keep him in check. Also why in the world would you break up a line that has been the main source of offense the past few games? The line is playing amazing.

Voros is a guy who got off to a really hot start but his true colors are kinda starting to show. He's a 3rd/4th line guy who can park in front of the net, get under a teams skin and such, but he's not a top 6 type player.
Correct, except that he doesn't even do the stuff he's good at enough. Personally, I think the next guy who should sit is him. He's just skating around much of the time. Very inconsistent. Get Prucha back in the lineup, or even Rissmiller and let Voros take a seat for a bit.

Maybe that would send him a message about how hard he should be playing every night.

Old
11-27-2008, 03:44 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Correct, except that he doesn't even do the stuff he's good at enough. Personally, I think the next guy who should sit is him. He's just skating around much of the time. Very inconsistent. Get Prucha back in the lineup, or even Rissmiller and let Voros take a seat for a bit.

Maybe that would send him a message about how hard he should be playing every night.

I agree that he should sit next, for me i just dont think he is that good.

As i have said in other threads he just cant stay on his feet, he is almost always on his ass.

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:47 PM
Vitto79

Quote:

He is best as a Winger but they need him to be the 3rd line C to give scoring depth to the top 2 lines...............hopefully they just ride him out as the Centre and he gets better at the position.............this team is good so they can let him play it out

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:

I see what you're saying. The guy can fly. And Dubinsky. Ever since he's came up he's been very lucky to play with snipers and sharp shooters like Naslund, Zherdev, Jagr and Straka. Korpokoski gets Fritche (who I'm not a fan of at all).

But during the pre season Korpokoski was on a terrific line where the chemistry looked great. I knew the line wouldn't stay together because Tom Renny would have none of it.

The line was Korpokoski, with LW Callahan and RW Prucha. That had the potential of being a great third line. They were flying and doing it all. I would like to see that line play a few games together but It's not going to happen.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote