HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

11/25/08: Nashville "Versus" St. Louis

Old
11-25-2008, 12:39 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
11/25/08: Nashville "Versus" St. Louis

Get it?

vs.

@

Nashville Predators (10-9-1, 21pts, 3rd Central, 8th West)

Nashville Team Leaders
Goals: Shea Weber, Jason Arnott, 10
Assists: Jean-Pierre Dumont, 17
Power Play Goals: Arnott, 4
Power Play Scoring: Dumont, 8 (1g+7a)
Short-Handed Goals: Three Tied With 1
Short-Handed Scoring: Three Tied With 2
Shots: Weber, 67
Shooting Percentage: Arnott, 21.7%
Plus-Minus: Weber, +10
Penalty Minutes: Jordin Tootoo, 41
Giveaways: Dumont, 16
Takeaways: Dan Hamhuis, 14
Turnover Differential: Joel Ward, +7
Faceoffs Won: Radek Bonk, 124-85
Faceoff Percentage: Vernon Fiddler, 60.6%
Time On Ice: Shea Weber, 24:02
Wins: Dan Ellis, 8-9-1
Minutes Played: Ellis, 1057
Goals Against Average: Ellis, 3.07
Save Percentage: Ellis, .893
Shutouts: None Recorded

Nashville Fun Fact: When the Predators went 8/8 on the penalty kill in Carolina on Sunday, they moved up four spots in the NHL rankings... to 20th.

Nashville Player to Watch: Martin Erat. Smarty Marty, the One-Man Party is overdue for a goal, after going without one in each of his last four contests.

Nashville Reason to Worry: The Predators have a recent history of poor performances in nationally televised games.

Nashville Injury Report:
Jed Ortmeyer (Leg, IR)
Ville Koistinen (Cranial-Rectal Inversion, Probable)

Nashville Projected Lineup
Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Pihlström-Legwand-Ward
Fiddler-Nichol-Tootoo
Smithson-Bonk-Tarnasky

Weber-Suter
Hamhuis-Zanon
De Vries-Koistinen

Ellis

St. Louis Blues (8-8-2, 18pts, 5th Central, 12th West)

Team Leaders
Goals: Brad Boyes, 10
Assists: Paul Kariya, 13
Power Play Goals: Keith Tkachuk, 7
Power Play Scoring: McDonald, 11 (2g+9a)
Short-Handed Goals: Mcdonald, 1
Shots: Tkachuk, 49
Shooting Percentage: Steve Regier, 37.5%
Plus-Minus: Patrik Berglund, +8
Penalty Minutes: David Backes, 68
Hits: Backes, 52
Blocked Shots: Eric Brewer, 44
Giveaways: Boyes, 19
Takeaways: T.J. Oshie, 12
Turnover Differential: Oshie, +9
Faceoffs Won: Jay McClement, 151-149
Faceoff Percentage: McDonald, 61.4%
Time On Ice: Brewer, 25:55
Wins: Manny Legace, 6-3-1
Minutes Played: Legace, 579
Goals Against Average: Chris Mason, 2.76
Save Percentage: Mason, .907
Shutouts: None Recorded

Fun Fact: Backup goaltender and former Predator Chris Mason recorded his first win of the season last Saturday, a 31-save effort in a 2-1 win over Minnesota.

Player to Watch: Rookie winger Steve Regier has three goals and four points in three games with St. Louis this season.

Reason to Worry: The Blues injuries contineu to mount, with Andy McDonald the latest casualty. McDonald, the team's leading scorer, broke his leg in a 3-2 shootout win on Sunday, November 16 against Montreal.

Injuries
Patrik Berglund (Groin, DTD)
Andy McDonald (Broken Leg, IR)
Dan Hinote (Lower Body Injury, IR)
Paul Kariya (Hip Flexor, IR)
T.J. Oshie (High Ankle Sprain, IR)

Projected Lineup
Regier-Tkachuk-Boyes
Porter-Backes-Perron
Crombeen-McCelment-Stastny
Winchester-Paddock-Janssen

Brewer-Jackman
McKee-Polak
Woywitka-Wagner

Mason

Media Coverage: The game will be nationally televised on Versus (Ch. 72 on Comcast, Ch. 151 on Dish Network). The game will be broadcast on the radio on KMOX 1120 AM in St. Louis and 104.5 "The Zone" on the radio. Bubba and Boozer will have the call on the radio for the Predators.

6PM FACE-OFF!

Last edited by worstfaceoffmanever: 11-25-2008 at 07:57 AM.
worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:51 AM
bustoff

Steen and Colo won't be playing till Saturday. You guys get to play against Peoria-south tonight.

bustoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:55 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

hopefully we don't get a case of the homecoming-hangover like last week.

amped to see Pihlstrom, though. Can't see what value Tarnasky brings that Pihlstrom doesn't, even if Jones and Hornqvist are recalled at some point.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 05:56 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Also, bustoff, how sure are you about Legace getting the start?

I was kind of hoping it would be Mason

Old
11-25-2008, 06:54 AM
bustoff

Actually Andy Strickland says Mason is getting the start tonight but you never know about the guys on hockeybuzz. The Blues just have to hope the kids from Peoria stay hungry. Mason was very good against the Wild Saturday so I could see Murray going with him against his old team.

Old
11-25-2008, 08:00 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustoff View Post
Steen and Colo won't be playing till Saturday. You guys get to play against Peoria-south tonight.
That would explain why the recalled Porter. Thanks, the St. Louis lineup is now updated.

Old
11-25-2008, 08:59 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
no Macdonald and hopefully no Kariya is just fine with me.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 12:36 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

WOF - another great game day thread. For those that skim his threads, go back and read them .... they are always hilarious. I love Koistenen being on the injury report for a cranial rectal inversion

We will win this game. 4-1. Weber, Dumont (2), Erat

11-25-2008, 06:13 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
It's hits from behind like that that PISS me off... Hamhuis turned his back to Janssen to get the PP... this crap has to stop... half of the big injury hits that have all this controversy are the victims fault...

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Karl with a C
RIP Локомотив

That post hit looked like it went in

Karl with a C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:28 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReLyT View Post
It's hits from behind like that that PISS me off... Hamhuis turned his back to Janssen to get the PP... this crap has to stop... half of the big injury hits that have all this controversy are the victims fault...
Typing on the Nashville Predators Hockeys Future's message board is the first step to getting something done about it.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:30 PM
ReLyT

Send a message via MSN to ReLyT
just bringing my opinion as i enjoy a game between two rivals and thought to spur up some conversation on here... sorry wow

ReLyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
urho

vCash: 695
I didn't even remember how fast Pillu was

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 06:48 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Great first period, glad to see Mason again.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 08:57 PM
braindead

Happy for Mason but if he had even one game like that last year, he might still be wearing our uni. He was unable to steal one single game last year. Oh well.

Pihlstrom looked like more of a pro hockey player than either Jones or Hornqvist has this year.

I'm sure VS. hated the 0-0 game but for a fan stuck at home on game night, it was fun to watch.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 09:23 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

The Preds couldn't score on a hooker ... this team either needs to be bag skated or shooter tutored

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
The Preds couldn't score on a hooker ... this team either needs to be bag skated or shooter tutored
Umm...I don't think there is a single person in our locker room tonight that doesn't give at least a little credit to Mason for the victory tonight...

We generated plenty of offense. Admittedly should have had at least three goals that we simply didn't convert (missed net, lost puck, or shot straight back into Mason) and hit a few posts in there too, however tonight was a night all about the return of Mason to Nashville and a stellar performance by both goalies.

Unfortunately, the Blues exploited Ellis in the shootout by slowing down as soon as they hit the circles to throw off his timing and make him vulnerable to the deke, but again...can't take away anything from Ellis tonight either. He had to remain sharp despite a lack of work for much of the game and came up with some big saves when needed.

But again, tonight is a night you tip your hat to the opposing goalie and go home feeling good about the performance because you dominated the game in every facet. Hockey is probably the only team sport that one player can make such a difference for his team...tonight Mason was the difference.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-25-2008, 11:08 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave is a Killer View Post
Chris Mason played absolutely out of his mind tonight and pretty much stole a game we should've won 3 or 4 to 1.

I disagreed with using Koistinen on the power play in OT (thought Erat was the easy choice, or at least Suter) and again in the shootout. Peverley was the right call- he has a long history of success in the shootout. I will say though, for all the flak I give Koistinen, he had a hell of a game tonight. He was playing the body at every turn and didn't make any huge mistakes. I'm not the least bit convinced that Klein shouldn't be playing ahead of him, but VK played really well tonight.

Legwand played decent. Made a lot of mistakes that I see with the rest of the team so you can't really hold him up and say he sucks when the whole team has some of the same problems. I'm referring in particular to off-target passes. I will say, though, that he needs to bury that chance right in the slot.

Poor Scott Nichol... his linemates are arguably the two worst players on the team right now. Tarnasky is completely worthless and Peverley... well, I think my avatar sums it up fairly well.

Power play, other than a couple of instances, looked really good. We moved the puck well and generated opportunities from all over.

Really impressed with Pilhström's play tonight. He brings a lot of energy to the table and left an impression on me with his willingness to play the body. If we send him back down I would be rather upset.

Radek Bonk deserved at least one goal tonight. He as outstanding tonight.

I didn't think Arnott had a particularly good game. He got burned a couple of times defensively and didn't really seem in-sync with Erat and Dumont offensively.

Can we re-sign Ward NOW? Please?

The team as a whole played the exact kind of game we need them to play night in and night out: gritty, physical, consistently in the other team's face generating turnovers and scoring chances.

I give credit to Trotz for not tinkering with the lines at all tonight.

Erat-Arnott-Dumont
Pihlström-Legwand-Ward
Smithson-Bonk-Tootoo
Peverley-Nichol-Tarnasky

We DESPERATELY need a defenseman that can skate (and preferably be capable offensively and defensively) to play alongside Hamhuis.

Overall, our team was excellent, we caught a few lucky bounces and played physical, in-your-face hockey. Ellis was strong... until the shootout, where he fell for the exact same move TWICE. Somebody has been doing their homework on Dan.

Old
11-25-2008, 11:13 PM
Nitrous Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Happy for Mason but if he had even one game like that last year, he might still be wearing our uni. He was unable to steal one single game last year. Oh well.

this.

Nitrous Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 12:47 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
agree. Mason was awesome, would love to have seen a little more of that before he was shipped out.

Some interesting numbers:

attendance: 13825 - decent but we need to see that over 14 at least.
Bonk won 7 of 10 faceoffs
Smithson won 0 of 6 faceoffs
The only Preds without a shot on goal were Devries and Pihlstrom
Weber with 7 shots on goal, 27:55 time on ice, the most of all skaters tonight

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 01:24 AM
predfan24

I actually agree with Trotz with putting koistenin out there on the PP in OT. 4 on 3 Defenseman get to play alot closer to the opponent's goal and bomb at it all day. Koisty easily has the best slapper of all the D men after Weber. Unfortunate we couldn't find a way to score though there.

I really wish Trotz would insert klein for 5-10 games. Actually let him play decent minutes and then go from there. Obviously there is something about Kelin that irks trotz behind the scenes that we are not seeing.

if philstrom keeps playing the way he did tonight I expect him to be up here all year. Hopefully that will motivate Hornqvist to turn it on in the minors and get his game on track.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 06:08 AM
bustoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Also, bustoff, how sure are you about Legace getting the start?

I was kind of hoping it would be Mason
Be careful what you wish for. LOL........ Mason did play out of his head and got lucky with the post. You guys really outplayed us but Mason stole the 2 points.

Old
11-26-2008, 07:51 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Mason played a great game, but also had luck on his side in a major way. There were three separate instances where even now, I can't figure out how the puck stayed out.

They had the book on Ellis in the shootout. I've kind of thought to myself, "slow down and deke to his glove side, it'll go in every time," and have wondered why more teams haven't caught on. Credit the Blues advance scouting, they had that one down.

I understood Peverley going out for the first shot, although I'm still confused as to why he waited for Mason to go down into the butterfly, and then proceeded to shoot the puck right at his closed-tight five-hole. I think he simply got frozen up, honestly.

Koistinen was a horrible choice for the shootout. Trotz is trying to squeeze blood from a stone in a fashion similar to the old Zidlicky shootout choice. Koistinen even admitted that his record in shootouts in Milwaukee was awful, and he was shocked that he was able to get one in the last go round. Why not at least give Erat that shot?

Really liked what I saw from Pihlstrom, and I think Trotz did too. he is FAST, was great on the forecheck, and had a few big hits. I think that line with Pihlstrom, Legwand and Ward was likely our best, tonight.

Power play probably had the best possesion of the year, but at the same time seemed to look like it did a few years ago, when the "SHOOOOT ITTT" cries would erupt as the Kariya\Sullivan backdoor was attempted over and over. Now it's repeatedly trying to set up Weber, and then having to start over when the lanes are closed.

It's hard to fault the guys in a game that set a record for shot differential (previous was 29, in a 5-1 loss to San Jose in 1999), but I'll admit it was a tough pill to swallow. Credit Mase though...he's one of the good guys, and I'm happy for him. I'd be happier if the shootout had gone differently, though.

Old
11-26-2008, 07:58 AM
PredsMan

Pihlstrom reminds me of Scott Walker in the old days.

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-26-2008, 10:27 AM
braindead

I was thinking more along the lines of the old ELO line- I wonder if he could click on the left (or right) side of Legwand and Erat. He has the speed to skate with them and the grit to dig out pucks, along with some scoring touch. That combo seemed to work back in the days of Vlad the Impaler.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote