Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

Glencross vs Bourque vs Boyd

Old
10-03-2008, 11:10 PM
abracanada

vCash: 500
Glencross vs Bourque vs Boyd

I like Bourque's size, speed and grit, but he is not a finisher. Glencross can finish. That is the edge as I see it. I believe there is a three way competition for a second line spot amongst Glencross/Boyd/Bourque. Boyd is showing a lot of savvy and beautiful passes around the net.

I know Glencross gets no respect and he produces where you play him so he probably ends up on the third line. I think he should be playing on the second line myself.

abracanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:14 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by abracanada View Post
I like Bourque's size, speed and grit, but he is not a finisher. Glencross can finish. That is the edge as I see it. I believe there is a three way competition for a second line spot amongst Glencross/Boyd/Bourque. Boyd is showing a lot of savvy and beautiful passes around the net.

I know Glencross gets no respect and he produces where you play him so he probably ends up on the third line. I think he should be playing on the second line myself.

How do you figure that?

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:16 PM
GoFlames

Actually everyone seems to be really speaking highly of Glencross who just won the game in overtime! I am digging this speed.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:19 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
How do you figure that?
Some people on this board and others, suggest Glencross should play on the fourth line. The fourth line mind you. Many put Bourque on the third with Moss and Glencross buried. I don't figure that would be wise.

The nice part is, the Flames are deep. These are nice problems to have. Maybe the Flames are giving him some respect after all, he was on the ice for overtime. Mind you, so was Lundmark (who also had a good game).

Old
10-03-2008, 11:23 PM
saillias

vCash: 50
I think I understand Chicago fan's frustrations with Bourque. He has so many chances but he just can't put the puck in the net. He has stone hands and he seems to have a hole in his stick the puck goes right through whenever he gets a pass in front of the net.

saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2008, 11:25 PM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Some people on this board and others, suggest Glencross should play on the fourth line. The fourth line mind you. Many put Bourque on the third with Moss and Glencross buried. I don't figure that would be wise.

I see Glencross as a good 3rd liner.

Quote:
The nice part is, the Flames are deep. These are nice problems to have. Maybe the Flames are giving him some respect after all, he was on the ice for overtime. Mind you, so was Lundmark (who also had a good game).

I agree, Lundmark looked good out there tonight.

Prust also played a lot better after that fight with Penner.

Old
10-03-2008, 11:25 PM
GoFlames

Hmmm just anotehr fourth liner. I also agree this guy can be fantastic in many roles. Honetly I am cinfident with 3 solid lines and Glencross could really play on most of them.

What I am looking forward to is seeing if they fix the PK from last year, good signs so far. With Glencross, Borque and Lombardi we will be deadly fast

Old
10-03-2008, 11:52 PM
abracanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
I see Glencross as a good 3rd liner.

6 pts in 6 preseason games. They don't sound like third liner numbers to me. The thing is, Boyd and Moss have been outstanding as well. Lombardi has impressed as well.

I just believe Glencross is a sleeper, and he keeps on showing these flashes of brilliance throughout his career. This guy really can finish around the net. Why would you ever want to limit him to 3rd line minutes?

Old
10-04-2008, 12:01 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
6 pts in 6 preseason games. They don't sound like third liner numbers to me.

You make a good point, but this is also pre-season. If he can put up consistant numbers like that once the regular season starts, he could really make a case for himself.

Quote:
Why would you ever want to limit him to 3rd line minutes?

That's just what I see him as right now. If he can become more than that and in fact a good 2nd liner, all the better.

Old
10-04-2008, 02:02 AM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Boyd is probably the best fit for the top 6 spot. He has the hands, skill, smarts to be effective in a scoring role. I really like what I've seen from Glencross so far and just think he fits better on the 3rd line. He can crash and bang and also chip in offensively. Makes him the perfect third liner. Bourque I really like as well, but as others have said he just doesn't have the hands. He'll still probably get 10-15 goals just because he always seems to be in the right spots and his speed is so effective.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 04:40 AM
AndersEriksson*

I would also put Boyd on the 2nd line to start the year but believe there will be quite a lot of times when both Bourque and Cory get to play there as well.

It doesn't really matter which of those three play on the 2nd line, we'll have a scoring third line as well with Conroy centering the other two.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 06:23 AM
CrossCheck

so would the second line be then?

Boyd on center or wing? And with who?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:50 AM
Lunatik*

personally I love how Boyd & Glencross have been producing together with Moss this pre-season... IMO its worth the try... I know some people are hesitant because they think of it as a 'kid line' but Moss and Glencross are not exactly kids anymore

I would love to see lines like this...

Bourque - Langkow - Iginla
Cammalleri - Lombardi - Bertuzzi
Glencross - Boyd - Moss
Nystrom - Conroy - Primeau
xtra - Roy

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 11:27 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Bertuzzi-Langkow-Iggy
Bourque-Lombardi-Cammellari
Glencross-Boyd-Moss
Nystrom-Conroy-Primeau

Theres our forward lines. I have a hunch that the first two line will vary all year long. However Bourque will play second because he is more of a finisher than Glencross, besides the way our third line is looking together this preseason I wouldn't want to change a thing with those three.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 04:20 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by eksa View Post
Bertuzzi-Langkow-Iggy
Bourque-Lombardi-Cammellari
Glencross-Boyd-Moss
Nystrom-Conroy-Primeau

Theres our forward lines. I have a hunch that the first two line will vary all year long. However Bourque will play second because he is more of a finisher than Glencross, besides the way our third line is looking together this preseason I wouldn't want to change a thing with those three.
Looks good and honestly if the second and thrid lines are both great there should be no problem... I would prefer Boyd higher but if he has chemistry and it can continue it could give us seveal potent lines.

Old
10-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Qubax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
personally I love how Boyd & Glencross have been producing together with Moss this pre-season... IMO its worth the try... I know some people are hesitant because they think of it as a 'kid line' but Moss and Glencross are not exactly kids anymore

I would love to see lines like this...

Bourque - Langkow - Iginla
Cammalleri - Lombardi - Bertuzzi
Glencross - Boyd - Moss
Nystrom - Conroy - Primeau
xtra - Roy
I would switch Glen and Bourque

Glencross Langkow Iginla
Cammalleri Lombardi Bertuzzi
Bourque Boyd Moss
Nystrom Conroy Primeau
Roy

That said Bert will start with Iggy and will probably flourish there...I'd just like to see some diversity of the offense as well...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 07:25 PM
Wise_one

Moss and Glencross seem to have chemisry together. Keenan even said so. They will both be the third line wingers. I hope centered by Boyd, but possibly Connie!

Wise_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2008, 08:40 PM
flamesfan12

Send a message via AIM to flamesfan12 Send a message via MSN to flamesfan12 Send a message via Yahoo to flamesfan12
Am I the only one that doesn't want Bert and Iggy together? I don't know the chemistry just didn't seem to be there for me. I'd rather see these lines.

Boyd-Langkow-Iginla
Lombardi-Cammalleri-Bertuzzi
Bourque-Conroy-Glencross
Moss-Primeau-Nystrom/Roy/Prust

Two big guys on both scoring lines with Iggy and Bertuzzi. Also thought that 2nd line looked good in the one preseason game they played together. Definetly a lot of options for Keenan and I'm sure we'll see a lot of different combinations throughout the season.

flamesfan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Dions shoulder

Mike Rogers suggested putting Glencross with Iginla and Langkow to start the season, and keep that second line of Cammalleri, Lombardi and Bertuzzi.

I certainly would not mind that, but I would much prefer flamesfan12's suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Boyd-Langkow-Iginla
Bourque-Conroy-Glencross
The fact is, Keenan will not have set lines this year. He will always be juggling the lines, putting who ever is hot with Iginla, or whoever creates the best chemistry with Iginla. I certainly dont mind that either, because either way we will have 3 solid top 3 lines.... and compared to last year, a vastly improved 4th line.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 01:35 AM
AndersEriksson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan12 View Post
Am I the only one that doesn't want Bert and Iggy together? I don't know the chemistry just didn't seem to be there for me. I'd rather see these lines.

Boyd-Langkow-Iginla
Bourque-Conroy-Glencross

Two big guys on both scoring lines with Iggy and Bertuzzi. Also thought that 2nd line looked good in the one preseason game they played together. Definetly a lot of options for Keenan and I'm sure we'll see a lot of different combinations throughout the season.
That's what I have as well. With Lombardi in the middle.

AndersEriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 11:21 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
During Saturday morning's chat, Sutter lent his hefty opinion to a variety of issues:

- The hard-nosed and high-tempo play of newcomer Curtis Glencross: "I expected that out of him. I know that from watching him and knowing him ... so it's not a surprise. We expect him to be a good player for us. He's got some goals in mind, personally, and he seems focused on wanting to accomplish that.''

- The blossoming of youngster Dustin Boyd: "You know what? He's such a versatile player that he's going to be a very important player. He may be one of them guys that you can move around and move all over -- depending on the night, the game, the lineup, and all those things -- till he really establishes himself. He's taken a step. He's 10 pounds bigger, stronger, more mature, a year older. His development is just like other kids' -- you're just waiting for them to take responsibility of their own careers. He's done a good job of that.''
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/...9a7260e5ba&p=1

Old
10-06-2008, 04:02 PM
CrossCheck

You guys are putting way too much importance on "chemistry"... Boyd will have chemistry with any offensive player caus he's an offensive player... The reason he had good game with grinders was because he mostly created the offense while the others were working the corners.

With Bert on the second line, you have one of the best guy to work the corners and Lombardi would be creating offense WITH Boyd... That would be the perfect line for offense while giving Dustin a good 16-17 minutes a nigth instead of third line, defensive minute in regular games....

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
Dions shoulder

I really want to see Boyd see top 6 minutes, I love where his defensive game has gone, and offensively he has jumped ahead in his development.

His passes were mostly spot on in the preseason, and he looks alot stronger.

Dions shoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
abracanada

Most of Boyds points came from assists. I think he can actually get better once he starts to score. It is a thing of beauty having young fellows who have been written off by other teams fans, play like this.

Old
10-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
I think I understand Chicago fan's frustrations with Bourque. He has so many chances but he just can't put the puck in the net. He has stone hands and he seems to have a hole in his stick the puck goes right through whenever he gets a pass in front of the net.
Yep we warned you!

Also wait until he takes a horrible penalty at a time your team is about to do something great. He also will try to kick a puck into the net. He tried that a few times here in Chicago. Guess he never understood that the skate isn't a part of the stick.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote