HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maxim Afinogenov

Old
11-27-2008, 04:31 AM
vcx*

vCash: 500
Maxim Afinogenov

Since last season, he's been on a decline, this year he's been getting more than a few shifts in the bottom 6 and for a player like Afinogenov, that's just not really where you want to be at 29yrs old and heading into free agency in the off season. Likely his last year in Buffalo as well.

What is his current value out on the trade market? As a Pens fan, I am curious as to what Sabres fan gauge as his value. Mind you, he hasn't been great since last season and is on pace for 4 goals and 35 pts (could change, who knows? not on the 3rd line though).

I could see one player the Pens moving for him, Ruslan Fedotenko, who can play bottom 6 minutes and work well with the grind of things. I doubt it would take just him even with Afinogenov's diminished trade value, so I would expect Shero would have to send a pick or a prospect like Stone just so Buffalo got a little extra.

Still a player I am a fan of, hopefully he can recharge his batteries elsewhere and I hope the Pens are that team (if it doesn't take a lot).

Ok Sabres fans...I pass the mic to you now.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:55 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Afinogenov, Malkin and Sykora together scares me. Don't do it Buffalo.

With the way he is playing, and the fact that he is in a contract year (likely to leave too), Buffalo aren't in the driving seat when it comes to working out a deal for his services. That said, if they think that having his firepower in the playoffs is worth not trading him when his value is lower than ever then they might just keep him.

I would try and squeeze a pick + good prospect out of a playoff team.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 04:57 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Grass is always greener..... I suppose.

Afinogenov has two seasons under his belt as a forward producing worthy of top6. Incidentally two years where Buffalo played perhaps the best hockey in the league and were scoring for fun.

I don't see why we would want him/take a chance on him, and I don't know how he is supposed to be a better choice on RW than Satan or Sykora. Sure, he is faster... but that isn't all there is to it.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:02 AM
vcx*

It's just for curiosity's sake. I'd much rather Shero went after a left winger but Afinogenov has always interested me with his mix of speed and skill.

Just wondering what Sabres fans feel his worth is right now in the trade market.

Old
11-27-2008, 05:05 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
That said, if they think that having his firepower in the playoffs
Are you really talking about Maxim Afinogenov?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466202

He has a career high of 23 goals and that was in a brilliant Buffalo team that scored 308 goals. What am I missing here? Or are you taking the piss?

Old
11-27-2008, 05:14 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Are you really talking about Maxim Afinogenov?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8466202

He has a career high of 23 goals and that was in a brilliant Buffalo team that scored 308 goals. What am I missing here? Or are you taking the piss?
Easy there mate...

Offensive depth is maybe what I should of said.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 05:23 AM
clumping platelets

As a Sabres fan, I feel he has worn out his welcome in Buffalo. It's time to move on. I would give him up for a prospect and draft choice. I would also package him with say, Tallinder, for a gritty playoff tested all around F who can win a faceoff when you need to win a face off. It only takes one team to want him

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
Nikita Filatov*

Send a message via AIM to Nikita Filatov*
Quote:
Originally Posted by clumping platelets View Post
As a Sabres fan, I feel he has worn out his welcome in Buffalo. It's time to move on. I would give him up for a prospect and draft choice. I would also package him with say, Tallinder, for a gritty playoff tested all around F who can win a faceoff when you need to win a face off. It only takes one team to want him
Stephan Yelle is your man

Nikita Filatov* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 08:46 AM
Michael Scott*

To Buffalo:
Pit 4th 2009

To Pittsburgh:
Afinogenov

Buffalo clears cap, and gets a mid round pick...

Pittsburgh gets a winger with decent talent, and hopes he can have chemistry with Malkin/Crosby...

Michael Scott* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:17 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Afinogenov is a player that thrives on a good team.

Leave him on a Buffalo team on the bubble, and he'll struggle all season, but trade him to a team like Washington where all they do is play offense, and he'll regain his form IMO.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by There's only one 66 View Post
Grass is always greener..... I suppose.

Afinogenov has two seasons under his belt as a forward producing worthy of top6. Incidentally two years where Buffalo played perhaps the best hockey in the league and were scoring for fun.

I don't see why we would want him/take a chance on him, and I don't know how he is supposed to be a better choice on RW than Satan or Sykora. Sure, he is faster... but that isn't all there is to it.
Sure it is if they are to skate next to Malkin or Crosby, Sykora is looking pretty slow these days. Plus Max would be a great fit on Malkins line. Gives him some more help with the language gap playing and hanging out with him. Gonchar is to be out until Probably near the dead line so having another Russian would be helpful on the wing.
I would hope Max would be very productive if he was with Malkin. If they could squeeze 20 something out of him on his wing, could be what the doctor odered for the Pens and Max.

How about something like this.

Dupuis/ Fedotenko to buffalo

Afinogenov + 3rd to pittsburgh

The difference in cap hit would give the pens more room for going after a signing at the deadline. .583 + Curry's .392 when he gets sent down + difference in the trade .567 adds up to 1.542 under the cap could possibly sign Shanahan with that.

I dont know, just thowing that out there, any other solutions to bring him here?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leave Sidney Alone View Post
To Buffalo:
Pit 4th 2009

To Pittsburgh:
Afinogenov

Buffalo clears cap, and gets a mid round pick...

Pittsburgh gets a winger with decent talent, and hopes he can have chemistry with Malkin/Crosby...
Cant see that. Pens need to clear salary to bring him here under the cap.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:06 PM
Magnus Fulgur

To ATL: Minimum Effortogenov
To BUF: Eric Craptensen

Magnus Fulgur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:08 PM
JoeHockey

Brodziak for Afinogenov

JoeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

After the season:

To KHL:
Max Afinogenov

To NHL:
-

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 01:10 PM
stefanh

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Cant see that. Pens need to clear salary to bring him here under the cap.
Not really because they can place Gonchar on LTIR.

I'm not thrilled wit what I've seen from Afinogenov though. A bad fit for the pens if you ask me.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:32 PM
mikeod1986

I liked the idea of Max in Pittsburgh...He could provide a bigger spark I think than Fedotenko at this point, I just think his faster paced style would fit better...

You would have to clear some cap room...

How about Mark Eaton or Ruslan and 4th in 09?

Would either of those get it done?

mikeod1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:55 PM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruinsfan1 View Post
Stephan Yelle is your man

Honestly, I would rather have Yelle on the Sabres. Max for Yelle.....DONE!

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 10:58 PM
ImpressedDAHagent
Go sabres

no way we trade to pittsburgh. why would we give him away?

other then drury and briere. i am wondering if anyone can identify some of the sabres top line centers over the past 10 years. max spent 6 of them trying to create higlight reel goals every shift. now he plays a strong team game. Throwing him under the bus because of stats really ignores his effort/abiity and the problems on this team. the sabres just need to retool.

ImpressedDAHagent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-27-2008, 11:00 PM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
After the season:

To KHL:
Max Afinogenov

To NHL:
-

I was just going to ask what the chances of this happening were, he could make a lot more money there

z1co80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:05 AM
vcx*

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangersfan30 View Post
I was just going to ask what the chances of this happening were, he could make a lot more money there
Chances are a lot of players are going to go to the KHL after this season. The cap is going to go down a bit (not a HUGE amount) and teams are going to start looking at cheaper and younger options as well.

I think Afinogenov & Kovalev are going to the KHL after the season is over.

Old
11-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Gil Gunderson

Chris Kelly.

Gil Gunderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:24 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by odds View Post
Sure it is if they are to skate next to Malkin or Crosby, Sykora is looking pretty slow these days.

Plus Max would be a great fit on Malkins line. Gives him some more help with the language gap playing and hanging out with him. Gonchar is to be out until Probably near the dead line so having another Russian would be helpful on the wing.
I would hope Max would be very productive if he was with Malkin. If they could squeeze 20 something out of him on his wing, could be what the doctor odered for the Pens and Max.
20something is the best Afinogenov has ever done in the NHL. Sykora beat Afinogenov's best ever season just last season, and has been hurt by the plentiful rotation that has often taken Malkin to Sid's line. Yet he still has had quite a bit more going for him than Max.
And as for language help and Russian-teammate effect.... its not as if Malkin is REALLY struggling, is it?

If we are to deal for a forward he better be real good to aid the cup push; or he better be a big body who can get the dirty job done in the crease, or he better be a prospect with top6 potential who could help alleviate the sure thing salary concerns we're going to have for next season.

Afinogenov, who has some good features too admittedly, is just brimming with all the things we don't need and lacking in all the things we do.

Old
11-28-2008, 12:27 AM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Stajan for Afino + 4th

TimeZone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-28-2008, 12:35 AM
Soundwave

A Buffalo fan suggested this deal on the Oiler board and it seems like a solid move for both sides:

Afinogenov + Stafford

for

Cole + Schremp

Both Cole and Schremp are from New York state so that's likely a good fit there and Buffalo is the type of team a guy like Schremp could develop nicely in.

Afinogenov ... maybe he can find his game again with a like minded type of player in Hemsky who has comparable speed. Stafford gives the Oiler some grit to their bottom six and can play on the second line in a pinch. His uncle also works for the Oilers I believe.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote